Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

Agreed.

Some friends of ours popped into a Trailfinders over the weekend to look into something next year.  They were told that the company isn't taking nor researching future bookings till about June.  Their priorities are re-patriating customers currently abroad and then sorting out refunds.

22 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I've only just read mine. It also inferred that they are looking for alternative itineraries for Iona. They're more of an optimist than I am.😊

Avril 

I think they will struggle in that most countries now seem to be closing their ports to cruise ships, and Iona's fuel requirements severely limit where she can go.

Important changes to our holiday terms

I have just read and reread the latest version of this on P&Os website and all mention of full refunds appears to have disappeared for cruises upto the end of August 2020.
  • Like 1

On Sunday the following was included:-

Alternatively, you are also entitled to a full refund.   If you are cancelling due to concern over an underlying health condition, your refund will be subject to providing proof of your underlying medical condition.

There was initially some debate about it only applying to health problems but that was discounted and it applied equally to over 70s and those with ill health.

• Like 1

Surely all cruises must be cancelled now?

COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice.

Clearly all cruises are going to be cancelled for several months in advance. Personally I think that we all need to be patient as we surely can't expect P&O to process all these refunds within their normal timescale regardless of what the law states.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

Clearly all cruises are going to be cancelled for several months in advance. Personally I think that we all need to be patient as we surely can't expect P&O to process all these refunds within their normal timescale regardless of what the law states.

Why not? It’s only a few mouse clicks to transfer money. 

1 minute ago, staygulf said:

Why not? It’s only a few mouse clicks to transfer money. 

Like I say, its a personal opinion that we should be reasonable and its certainly more than "a few mouse clicks" to refund thousands of customers. 

• Like 2

Just now, dgs1956 said:

Like I say, its a personal opinion that we should be reasonable and its certainly more than "a few mouse clicks" to refund thousands of customers. 

Clearly it is. I meant a few mouse clicks per customer. 

On 3/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, jeanlyon said:

Yes I finally got an email from them just now.  Cancelling all cruises until April 11th.  Just the start methinks.  Very glad my refund was processed by the lady yesterday.

Did you manage to get 100% cash refund? I remember you saying you cancelled too early last week.

It is not a couple of mouse clicks.  The person who cancels your cruise, puts in a code.  One code for a full refund, another for a percentage plus a cruise credit.  That then all goes to the Finance Department who then do the refunds.  Sometimes it's to a travel agent, sometimes direct.  I was told this by the nice lady at P&O who called me.  No wonder it will take up to 45 days.

23 hours ago, Pine Man said:

Important changes to our holiday terms

I have just read and reread the latest version of this on P&Os website and all mention of full refunds appears to have disappeared for cruises upto the end of August 2020.

Smoke and mirrors!

No dates whenever any thing is added or deleted so how can you follow the trail?

Remember, America First!

16 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Did you manage to get 100% cash refund? I remember you saying you cancelled too early last week.

Probably in the same boat as me. I cancelled my 4 April cruise last week after P&O started offering FCC. Got 25% refund plus 75% FCC. My cruise has now been cancelled, so my travel agent asked P&O if I would now get 100% refund. No way, they replied. When you cancelled the cruise was still going to proceed. They are obviously legally entitled to take that attitude, but I will remember ...........

On 3/16/2020 at 3:32 PM, molecrochip said:

...As for other cruise lines appearing to have treated customers better.... have UK based cruise lines done so? UK holidays operate under a much more regulated environment than most of the world. What they are offering is more than the legal requirement.

I was due to sail with Fred Olsen who - sensibly inmho - have cancelled all cruises through to 23rd May at present.  Our option was a full refund or transfer the value to another cruise plus 25% of the value of the cancelled cruise.  We found another cruise with them that interested us and so transferred on to that one in June next year.  Its a good deal for Fred Olsen as they already have our money and we are happy that we have got an extra two nights for the same cost next year. It is a small risk as we have no idea how long this situation will go on and the full impact of it on the cruise industry.  Hopefully some other pax will feel they can transfer bookings and maybe help keep their favourite cruise lines afloat...

1 minute ago, Denarius said:

Probably in the same boat as me. I cancelled my 4 April cruise last week after P&O started offering FCC. Got 25% refund plus 75% FCC. My cruise has now been cancelled, so my travel agent asked P&O if I would now get 100% refund. No way, they replied. When you cancelled the cruise was still going to proceed. They are obviously legally entitled to take that attitude, but I will remember ...........

When Princess cancelled cruises in March they offered the FCC to anyone who was still booked AND to those who had cancelled in the prior few weeks. A world of difference!

14 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

All I am saying is P&O did backdate the FCC to people who had already cancelled and lost their cancellation fee to 1 February. That was pretty good to those who had already lost money. 

That’s the difference though. They were merely providing FCC as a replacement for lost money not in addition to a their contractual obligation to refund. 

2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

That’s the difference though. They were merely providing FCC as a replacement for lost money not in addition to a their contractual obligation to refund. 

It was before they cancelled cruises. I realise that Princess are good but they were in a worse predicament at that time with the Diamond. For British cruise groups P & O are doing ok. 

1 minute ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It was before they cancelled cruises. I realise that Princess are good but they were in a worse predicament at that time with the Diamond. For British cruise groups P & O are doing ok. 

No they’re not. They are leaving everything to the latest possible moment. Not reacting like their stablemates. 

We are booked on Iona to Fjords on May 30. Clearly this cruise will be cancelled so I contacted the TA today to ask about a refund. I was told they could transfer the cruise of I could have FCC but for a full refund I needed a doctor's letter stating I'm not fit to travel for health reasons. I have already asked my doctor to provide a letter. I'll see how it goes.

6 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

We are booked on Iona to Fjords on May 30. Clearly this cruise will be cancelled so I contacted the TA today to ask about a refund. I was told they could transfer the cruise of I could have FCC but for a full refund I needed a doctor's letter stating I'm not fit to travel for health reasons. I have already asked my doctor to provide a letter. I'll see how it goes.

Why not wait for it to be cancelled as is likely to happen? They must refund you then. 

9 hours ago, staygulf said:

When Princess cancelled cruises in March they offered the FCC to anyone who was still booked AND to those who had cancelled in the prior few weeks. A world of difference!

P&O also said anyone who had already cancelled from 1st. February would get the FCC added to their accounts.