Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have just spoke to p&o today as I have had no email acknowledging that I want a refund so I called to make sure I have a log of these things  

as it was before 11th we are definitely going to get a refund 

what surprised me though was she told me that abta have told them to only offer FCC from 11th April onwards. 

I assumed they couldn’t do that due to the laws that others on here have pointed out. 

Which laws? I think you may be a little confused between the rights of the individual and the obligations of the cruise company. 

6 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Which laws? I think you may be a little confused between the rights of the individual and the obligations of the cruise company. 

probably am. I’m just panicking that virgin are going to try and wriggle out Of paying me if Florida gets cancelled  

it was this below I was thinking of - think I might have gotten this paragraph for yourself 

The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018

Termination of the package travel contract by the organiser

13.—(1) The provisions of this regulation are implied as a term in every package travel contract.

(2) Paragraph (3) applies where—

(a)the number of persons enrolled for the package is smaller than the minimum number stated in the contract and the organiser notifies the traveller of the termination of the contract within the period fixed in the contract but not later than—
(i)in the case of trips lasting more than 6 days, 20 days before the start of the package;
(ii)in the case of trips lasting between 2 and 6 days, 7 days before the start of the package;
(iii)in the case of trips lasting less than 2 days, 48 hours before the start of the package; or

(b)the organiser is prevented from performing the contract because of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances and notifies the traveller of the termination of the contract without undue delay before the start of the package.

(3) The organiser—
(a)may terminate the package travel contract and provide the traveller with a full refund of any payments made for the package;

21 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have just spoke to p&o today as I have had no email acknowledging that I want a refund so I called to make sure I have a log of these things  

as it was before 11th we are definitely going to get a refund 

what surprised me though was she told me that abta have told them to only offer FCC from 11th April onwards. 

I assumed they couldn’t do that due to the laws that others on here have pointed out. 

Looks like yet another lie from P&O I'm afraid.  ABTA can only advise - P&O make their own decisions.  And P&O, as usual, are conveniently choosing to ignore the law, because they know very few people will be aware of it.

• Like 1

P and O should offer up all their ships to be used as floating hospitals to ease the capacity in the NHS. They can be used to treat routine non urgent conditions and could be paid out of the NHS helping the cruise line to survive this horrendous situation. 

4 minutes ago, staygulf said:

P and O should offer up all their ships to be used as floating hospitals to ease the capacity in the NHS. They can be used to treat routine non urgent conditions and could be paid out of the NHS helping the cruise line to survive this horrendous situation. 

But where would the thousands of nurses and doctors that the government's got rid of over the last few years come from?  They've made this crisis far worse than it need have been - incredibly there's even a piece in today's Telegraph admitting that!

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

But where would the thousands of nurses and doctors that the government's got rid of over the last few years come from?  They've made this crisis far worse than it need have been - incredibly there's even a piece in today's Telegraph admitting that!

From the retirees they’re planning to bring back

9 minutes ago, staygulf said:

From the retirees they’re planning to bring back

I know some. They were treated so badly they aren't biting.  Inadequate supplies of safety equipment,  no ventilators,  risk of death because a lot of them are high risk. The usual bull from Johnson. 

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I know some. They were treated so badly they aren't biting.  Inadequate supplies of safety equipment,  no ventilators,  risk of death because a lot of them are high risk. The usual bull from Johnson. 

Opposite situation here. Those I know are rushing back to help. 

15 minutes ago, staygulf said:

And I’m talking non urgent non virus cases to be treated on the ships. So no risk 

BUT how do you know that they ( would be patients) haven't got the virus? Testing takes too long at present.Carriers without symptoms.Staff tested.....how often?

1 minute ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

BUT how do you know that they ( would be patients) haven't got the virus? Testing takes too long at present.Carriers without symptoms.Staff tested.....how often?

Tests are being ramped up. 

1 minute ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

A lot of NHS  Staff left because they had enough of working within the NHS, not because they reached retirement age.I expect quite a few have other jobs now.

Agreed, but I’m not talking about those ex staff. I’m talking about the thousands and thousands of retirees 

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s what I like to hear, good community spirit! 

17 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

That’s what I like to hear, good community spirit! 

Community spirit works both ways.  These people were treated abominably by the NHS when they worked for it, and they're now being asked to go back without the provision of proper safety equipment to protect them.  They're older people, and therefore at higher risk.  

Would you go back with a fair chance that it would kill you?

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Community spirit works both ways.  These people were treated abominably by the NHS when they worked for it, and they're now being asked to go back without the provision of proper safety equipment to protect them.  They're older people, and therefore at higher risk.  

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes, if it’s saving lives and helping the country. Being ex military I never refused to serve after 9/11. Moral fibre and sense of duty are in short supply these. Days.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Yes, if it’s saving lives and helping the country. Being ex military I never refused to serve after 9/11. Moral fibre and sense of duty is in short supply these. Days.

Even if the army decided not to provide you with a gun or ammunition or protection of any kind?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, staygulf said:

And I’m talking non urgent non virus cases to be treated on the ships. So no risk 

Princess has offered their ships for this use in the USA.Sounds ok to me.

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Even if the army decided not to provide you with a gun or ammunition or protection of any kind?

Believe you me, we operated under difficult circumstances with equipment shortages, but we carried on. That’s the only way to get through this crisis.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Believe you me, we operated under difficult circumstances with equipment shortages, but we carried on. That’s the only way to get through this crisis.

There's a huge difference between equipment shortages and shortages of essential equipment needed to protect NHS staff from dying.  Think protective equipment for soldiers - do we really send soldiers out to battle in their ordinary clothes without protective equipment?  That's pretty much what NHS staff are being expected to do because the government hasn't got a grip on this until far too late.

Well I’m retired NHS who got the email from my regulator yesterday and am happy to try to help. I’ve no intention of working in the front line and putting myself at risk as I have some health issues which mean I get a flu vaccine. I’m also out of date but am pretty sure I can help remotely by giving phone advice, even if only limited. To be honest, I’ve nothing else to do as no holidays, no coffee shops or restaurants to meet friends in, no grandchildren to look after. I might as well do something!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure there will be some form of financial benefit to Carnival.

Of course.  Hence my earlier post on another thread re PandO's delay in cancelling future cruises.  It's about how much compo they can get from the Government for requisitioning their ships.