Europe US travel ban announced

az_tchr

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

President announced 30 day travel ban for Europe to US.

Just a headline. Not sure about the details. Heard US citizens can return.

That is very significant. US does not seem to act that quickly. Likely we will follow then. 

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

That is very significant. US does not seem to act that quickly. Likely we will follow then. 

There are exemptions for USA citizens who are precleared in some manner.  Some exemptions for the UK. No details.  All other countries no travel via plane or ship until at least April 11th.

Cruises not mentioned. Seems people from Europe can leave.

Seems some political pushback happening. Medical people mentioned Italy and how their medical system is breaking down. If we have similar covid in the USA we would lack tens of  thousands of ventilators.  Canada's situation possibly even worse.

Big question - what does Mexico and Canada do?  Will we shut our borders to many?

• Thanks 1

But President Trump said US citizens would need to go through special screening. Given you can show no symptoms when infected, does this mean if US citizens return to US, you must agree to self quanantine?

Mr. Trump is implementing this air travel ban for 30 days, beginning on Friday, March 13th.  It does not include the UK.  His reasoning is that Europe did not act quickly enough (in the initial stages of this virus) to close travel with China.  

*** Do NOT turn this into a political debate***

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The travel ban goes into effect at midnight on Friday.... he said, "We will be suspending all travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days. The new rules will go into effect Friday at midnight." 

1 minute ago, julia said:

Mr. Trump is implementing this air travel ban for 30 days, beginning on Friday, March 13th.  It does not include the UK.  His reasoning is that Europe did not act quickly enough (in the initial stages of this virus) to close travel with China.  

*** Do NOT turn this into a political debate***

Thank you for the date correction. Obviously this effects cruising and I expect an update from CLIA either Thursday or Friday on their updated policy.

On a personal note living 30 minutes from Mexico - how does this effect border traffic?  Apologize for off topic question.

5 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

But if someone from mainland EU wants to come to US, isn't it pretty easy and cheap to get to UK? Seems like a loophole.

My guess is you will need a UK passport.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I wonder why the UK was excluded. 

I suspect that when we start testing more people here in the US, our stats will be just as bad or worse than many countries in Europe.  

It's not necessarily about the stats... it's about the countries who are being aggressive in their restrictions and actions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I wonder why the UK was excluded. 

I suspect that when we start testing more people here in the US, our stats will be just as bad or worse than many countries in Europe.  

If UK is excluded, could you not then fly through Heathrow to get back into the States?

4 minutes ago, Ellie_daisy said:

Where did you find this info? Could you please show the link? I only found about the travel between Europe and USA but nothing about all other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My guess is you are over reading the answer.  UK is not included but all other European countries are.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ellie_daisy said:

Where did you find this info? Could you please show the link? I only found about the travel between Europe and USA but nothing about all other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He is saying all of the other European countries.

• Like 1

Except the UK? In the most recent WHO report (released today) the UK has more Corona virus cases than 85% of European countries. (UK is #7 of 48 countries). Why is the UK excluded ??

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

But if someone from mainland EU wants to come to US, isn't it pretty easy and cheap to get to UK? Seems like a loophole.

No. They would need a UK passport.  People with dual passports might get past a ban, but daughter is dual Italy/USA. US has access to use of both passports. Agree probably not for some countries.

Again we can discuss what ifs forever. Am sure some will come. Would imagine USA would require negative test followed by quarantine.

Again ban is all countries in Europe.  I did not proofread. Sorry not clear.

NBA shutting down is because a player tested positive for Corona

Edited by az_tchr
NBA

9 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

Except the UK? In the most recent WHO report (released today) the UK has more Corona virus cases than 85% of European countries. (UK is #7 of 48 countries). Why is the UK excluded ??

UK is no longer part of Europe. Plus, it is handling the testing and outbreak far better than the European countries. If anything, UK might look at blocking US! Kidding, but I think the UK is on top of things.  Of course they will get cases.

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

UK is no longer part of Europe. Plus, it is handling the testing and outbreak far better than the European countries. If anything, UK might look at blocking US! Kidding, but I think the UK is on top of things.  Of course they will get cases.

The UK is part of Europe😳it’s just not a member of the European Union, a very different thing, geographically it’s not changed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, opa&oma said:

Do you not understand WE (the US) were very late in acting?

We were very late. Complicated that the thousands and thousands of testing kits that health departments were issued some 8 years ago were no good.

The US had two advantages with this disease - the Atlantic and Pacific.

Also to whoever posted the UK is not part of Europe. Thank you. Needed a good laugh.

Certainly seems that the TAs have huge problems. Europeans cannot fly here and Americans are likely to need to be tested and/or quarantined.  Hmmm.

DW and I still have TA next month to the UK booked long ago. Hope to get grandson to go with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1