Latest Statement from Viking

Haworth

Exactly so !  The latest travel ban from the US will have an enormous effect on the cruise industry.  Azamara and its parent company will have to make some sort of statement today about the impact it will have on their European cruises.

I certainly hope they get a move on. We’re still booked to fly in two weeks to board Quest. Just holding on for them to cancel to get refund rather than FCC. 

i am concerned about those currently onboard. 

• Like 1

Azamara with just three ships had the perfect opportunity to gain some face and do the same thing, but tied to Royal who have them as their "boutique line", they just do more dithering and their guests and crew are left hanging and wondering what's going to happen. 

Unprecedented times call for unprecedented action. Get on with it!

Phil 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Azamara with just three ships had the perfect opportunity to gain some face and do the same thing, but tied to Royal who have them as their "boutique line", they just do more dithering and their guests and crew are left hanging and wondering what's going to happen. 

Phil 

In an abundance of caution we appear to be dithering 

Maybe there were very good reasons to do so, but even some holding communications would have helped. 
I liked how the Viking communication was in plain English as we would say, clear, straightforward jargon free.  It like Azamara used to be and why I liked them. In those days excellent briefings came through several routes including cruise Critic 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

Not one word from Azamara’s management on Cruise Critic.  Larry Pimentel used to be here regularly and was obviously keen to garner thoughts from very loyal and enthusiastic guests who frequent these boards.  Now nothing.  It’s a great pity. 

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

This is the first time I have ever agreed with you, who would have thought it! I honestly think a lot of this is to do with money and less to do with passengers. The lack of information has been astounding and people should not forget when thinking of cruising again whenever that is. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Viking is truly a class act. Well done to them for putting their guests interests first. 

At last, leadership from a cruise company - Azamara can learn a lot from Viking.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nigelc said:

At last, leadership from a cruise company - Azamara can learn a lot from Viking.

Azamara seem to have lost the plot regarding customer service in recent times.

The onboard staff are still wonderful, (feel sorry for them), shame about the rest, the comment Lions led by Monkey's spring's to mind.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

Well Viking is providing “Cruise with confidence” aren’t they. This is the new and best industry standard for cruise consumers. I really do feel for Azamara, as the smallest cog in a major cruise chain. I doubt they have any independence of policy approach in this terrible situation and, as we know, shareholder returns rule.

It is patently obvious that cruises virtually anywhere are just not viable between now and April 30. We know it and the RCI bean counters know it too. Who wants to go anywhere when there’s a good likelihood of :

1. At least one person on a ship coming down with the virus, potentially turning the ship into a floating quarantine vessel

2. great doubt about where a ship may be able to dock/tender, making it a magical mystery tour (which I recall was considered a great failure) and then what exactly a tourist may be allowed to experience if lucky enough to go ashore

3. great doubt as to whether they’ll be able to get home and

4. be sent off to quarantine if they’re lucky enough to get home.

So, RCI, follow Viking’s lead and let Azamara give its customers some comfort. Then, when the problem hasn’t abated by mid April, give the same comfort to those with cruises in May and so forth.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Azamara seem to have lost the plot regarding customer service in recent times.

The onboard staff are still wonderful, shame about the rest, the comment Lions led by Monkey's spring's to mind.

Being one of those who was booked on the 17 March sailing out of Dubai, I could not agree more - a very stressful time made worse by a total lack of communication and leadership from Azamara. A 25% FCC does not cut it; especially with so much FCC being in play, I am sure that we will see inflated cruise prices during the period the credit is valid. 

• Like 3

Sorry to say I have zero sympathy with Azamara - their communications strategy is pitiful.

Of course they have to buy into RCCL group policy but there are still ways to give guests travelling shortly reassurance, ideally with a comment / statement here from Mr Pimentel or if that is not possible Bonnie (who of course is unable to provide us with info until her line manager/ management sanction it.

My cruise is next month and it is obvious it will not happen - what are RCCL waiting for? Unlike Viking, it appears that they want other players in the industry to make announcements and then they will be forced to follow. This is very disappointing business practice.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Spursgirl said:

Of course they have to buy into RCCL group policy but there are still ways to give guests travelling shortly reassurance, ideally with a comment / statement here from Mr Pimentel or if that is not possible Bonnie (who of course is unable to provide us with info until her line manager/ management sanction it.

In my view messages like this need to come from the top, except there doesn't appear to be anyone there!

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Carnival is now suspending all cruises across its brands until May 11.   Don'f know if Royal has the financial ability to follow.  

Where have you seen this information?  So far I've only read Princess is cancelling.

As the inevitable suspensions occur, I also would like cruise lines to address how they will deal with some of the most at risk in this situation--the staff.

In particular, I am thinking of perhaps the most vulnerable, the hotel staff.

I most likely will miss a cruise; they will be missing a livelihood. What will cruise lines do to soften this blow?

Judgments about cruise lines should include that factor.

I think some on this forum do communicate with staff members. I hope they can keep us apprised of how those employees are faring. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nordski said:

As the inevitable suspensions occur, I also would like cruise lines to address how they will deal with some of the most at risk in this situation--the staff.

In particular, I am thinking of perhaps the most vulnerable, the hotel staff.

I most likely will miss a cruise; they will be missing a livelihood. What will cruise lines do to soften this blow?

Judgments about cruise lines should include that factor.

I think some on this forum do communicate with staff members. I hope they can keep us apprised of how those employees are faring. 

I would hope that would be the kind of thing included in a simply worded corporate statement.  They need to work to regenerate confidence and faith at this time and talking about staff is one key factor.

It worries me if the cruise line is so late to the decision party compared to the competitors, people will not unreasonably favour the other more proactive lines seen to be doing the right things quickly.  That could lead to a significant decline in demand for the product as cruisers switch allegiances  That would affect the staff onboard longer term (all of them).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I would hope that would be the kind of thing included in a simply worded corporate statement.  They need to work to regenerate confidence and faith at this time and talking about staff is one key factor.

It worries me if the cruise line is so late to the decision party compared to the competitors, people will not unreasonably favour the other more proactive lines seen to be doing the right things quickly.  That could lead to a significant decline in demand for the product as cruisers switch allegiances  That would affect the staff onboard longer term (all of them).

It is such a complex situation and I would like to think that the cruise lines would do the decent thing and look after the staff, sadly I suspect that with a few exceptions cost will be the deciding factor, not what is morally right.

6 months from now the cruise market place will be radically different

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nigelc said:

Being one of those who was booked on the 17 March sailing out of Dubai, I could not agree more - a very stressful time made worse by a total lack of communication and leadership from Azamara. A 25% FCC does not cut it; especially with so much FCC being in play, I am sure that we will see inflated cruise prices during the period the credit is valid. 

You are so right. I was on that sailing to.  Right now I am envying the choices been given by Princess cruise lines.  100% cruise credit PLUS 100% refund for our sail date.  MUCH MUCH better offer.    They have a nice tidy table of what you can choose as compensation depending on our cruise date:

https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/voluntary-60-day-pause-of-global-ship-operations.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Epicureangirl said:

You are so right. I was on that sailing to.  Right now I am envying the choices been given by Princess cruise lines.  100% cruise credit PLUS 100% refund for our sail date.  MUCH MUCH better offer.    They have a nice tidy table of what you can choose as compensation depending on our cruise date:

https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/voluntary-60-day-pause-of-global-ship-operations.pdf

Is not getting back all that you have paid, (either FCC or direct refund) not enough? How has it come down to choosing the best compensation when health is important and the staff onboard have lost their income 😢. It’s a sad sad day when compensation takes precedence over these issues. 

• Like 4