NCL Suspends Operations for 30 days - BREAKING

LMaxwell

4 minutes ago, happytravellers2 said:

Ha ha - my DW and I are in the middle of 5 1/2 week holiday with an NCL Getaway cruise out of NOLA sailing 22 March booked for her 60th birthday.

We are currently in Mexico, flying into NOLA on Monday morning with car hire and hotels booked for a week in Louisiana before boarding. Flights booked for Sunday 29th after scheduled disembarkation back to Mexico for a few days, and booked in the week thereafter back to South Africa. 
What a .........

I suppose I will have to try to get the the flights moved forward if possible - and at what cost.

A FCC or refund won’t make it up for my wife’s special present - booked a year ago - but we are where we are.....sigh.

sorry about the cruise but NOLA is great - you can do amazing thing to celebrate her birthday. Ruby Slipper for brunch!

50 minutes ago, teCh0010 said:

So with NCL saying they have 90 days to post back to card do you think that it is a possible to execute a charge back with amex? 90 days is a long time, what happens if they declare bankruptcy before they credit cards back? 

I dont know about AMEX, but visa/MC you can do a chargeback up to 120 days after the initial charge.

I know i just booked my cruise last week, if i dont get the refund on day 90, it will be a chargeback.

If you booked more than 30 days ago, watch the chargeback time carefully. 90 days would put you past the SOL.

So from someone who has worked in airline industry for 20yrs and been through a few Chapter 11s....

1.  The FCC isnt worth the paper its printed on, and... it’s not printed on paper!!

2.  FCC is a policy. Its an imaginary bank account that doesnt exist. The revenue is on the bottom line of NCL now, period. 

3.  If you have a cruise booked and Chapter 11 is filed, the judge will determine the fate of that money invested. You have a fighting chance with it invested, FCC, you have nothing but a policy, and I am 1000% sure the fine print of that policy, is written with plenty of protection by their general counsel’s office. 

4.  If they declare, they can cease operations, decrease operations, maintain operations, but they cant expand operations. Its all up to them and the board, and the court. 

5.  Bankrupcy for reorganization and for an instant ‘diet’ to cut out the fat has been uswd by the airines for decades. You can google and read all about it. After 9/11 the Bargaining Agreements went out the window and pensions and retirements disappeared and vanished. Wages got cut, as long as the court agrees they can do so. 

6.  The court determines what creditors get honored and which dont and to what percentage they are. They can hand back ships to the bank (like you would your Nissan to Nissan Motor Acceptance for example in personal bankrupcy). 

This may be the only way they can survive and re-emerge stronger on the other end, as VP Pence said in the press conference about the cruise lines, which I find ironic as all heck. 

At the end of the day, pray for the tens of thousands of families of the workers on those ships whose families and mouths depend on those contracts the staff hold and money they selflessly send back to the countries and families they are from. We will all cruise again, their families, may truly suffer. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, susanf31 said:

I just called to get my refund on my 3/22 Encore sailing.  They said the announcement just went out and they have not been briefed yet on how to issue refunds and to call back in 24 hours.

I just called and was told the latest info he had was refund OR 150% credit BUT not until the 20th. Not liking that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teCh0010 said:

So with NCL saying they have 90 days to post back to card do you think that it is a possible to execute a charge back with amex? 90 days is a long time, what happens if they declare bankruptcy before they credit cards back? 

where did you get the 90 days info? My TA told 7 to 14 working days..

1 hour ago, teCh0010 said:

This  is what I am trying to talk to my husband about but he's just not worried at all. I want my money back. 

2 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

So, the question is - take 125% FCC, or the 100% refund? 

Will the prices be jacked up or lower when this all settles down?

I can only imagine summer and fall cruises prices will jump with all the people having FCC looking for something to use it on  

6 minutes ago, mnsweeps said:

where did you get the 90 days info? My TA told 7 to 14 working days..

You didnt read the article?:

"Guests who are currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 13 to April 11, 2020 on Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises are asked to contact their travel agent or the cruise line for more information. All guests on impacted voyages will receive a 125% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2022. For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of guests’ request. Travel partner commissions on canceled cruises will be protected as per normal policy."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poohdreaming said:

You didnt read the article?:

"Guests who are currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 13 to April 11, 2020 on Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises are asked to contact their travel agent or the cruise line for more information. All guests on impacted voyages will receive a 125% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2022. For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of guests’ request. Travel partner commissions on canceled cruises will be protected as per normal policy."

Oh ok. I cancelled my June Baltic cruise on Mar 6 (last Friday)...still waiting to see credits on my credit card..been a week now and my case is different.

1 minute ago, ladypirate2012 said:

My mother in law and niece are scheduled to go out tomorrow and have gotten nothing, no information regarding cancellation. How can NCL not even update their website? Without me on CC, she would’ve never known...

NCL's website is the worst. The fact that operations are suspended and it's being reported BEFORE NCL bothers to tell its own staff or guests makes me really question their business practices. (As if the lying to customers wasn't enough.)

• Like 2

I wonder how the refund works with a Visa gift card?  My sisters used them (they were Christmas gifts) as part of their payments.  Unlikely they still have the actual gift cards to credit but NCL says they will refund "in the original form of payment."

TAKE THE REFUND.  Dont try and gamble for a little extra for FCC. 90 Days has me concerned, honestly. There is zero reason for that other than greed and maintaining the bottom line, or some other reason (read my previous post), but still when faced with the choice Id choose refund all day long. Contact your CC company and ask about disputing it due to the 90 days. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

TAKE THE REFUND.  Dont try and gamble for a little extra for FCC. 90 Days has me concerned, honestly. There is zero reason for that other than greed and maintaining the bottom line, or some other reason (read my previous post), but still when faced with the choice Id choose refund all day long. Contact your CC company and ask about disputing it due to the 90 days. 

They are cashflow strapped, they probably need the 90 days to organize more credit. They already took out a loan this week. 

Cruise companies work like ponzi schemes. The money you pay in this month for your cruise in 60 days pays for operational costs right now. Without all that cash flow coming in from people at 60 days final payment they are hurting for cash to operate. 

• Like 2

I literally cancelled at 9pm last night,

A little background, we live in Burnaby, BC & we were planning to travel Saturday for Sunday Bliss from NYC.  Our local government said yesterday "expect to be "self-isolated" for 2 weeks upon return", I was fine with that... DW was not... she's an Education Assistant & loves her kids... she wasn't confident the school would find a sub...

Now, I have no idea how I'm going to make this up to her... we almost got left standing on the pier in NYC, wondering where the ship was... I think DW deserves at least +25%... how would I have found a hotel for 1 week+food, until our flight returned home, for 600-lousy bucks (25%), & have to be quarantined for 2 weeks...

I wonder what that would have been worth?

PS... 3hrs 15min and still not posted on the website.... 

I know passengers have to cancel >48hours out, shouldn't the cruise line also have to follow the same rules?

Maybe they're already gone & the last guy forgot to turn out the lights....

1 minute ago, Kilroy986 said:

I literally cancelled at 9pm last night,

A little background, we live in Burnaby, BC & we were planning to travel Saturday for Sunday Bliss from NYC.  Our local government said yesterday "expect to be "self-isolated" for 2 weeks upon return", I was fine with that... DW was not... she's an Education Assistant & loves her kids... she wasn't confident the school would find a sub...

Now, I have no idea how I'm going to make this up to her... we almost got left standing on the pier in NYC, wondering where the ship was... I think DW deserves at least +25%... how would I have found a hotel for 1 week+food, until our flight returned home, for 600-lousy bucks (25%), & have to be quarantined for 2 weeks...

I wonder what that would have been worth?

PS... 3hrs 15min and still not posted on the website.... 

I know passengers have to cancel >48hours out, shouldn't the cruise line also have to follow the same rules?

Maybe they're already gone & the last guy forgot to turn out the lights....

That may in fact be true!!! That place empties out like a fire drill at 5pm. Dont be standing at that front door of the glass house at 5, you’ll get run over!