NCL Suspends Operations for 30 days - BREAKING

LMaxwell

11 minutes ago, Kilroy986 said:

I literally cancelled at 9pm last night,

A little background, we live in Burnaby, BC & we were planning to travel Saturday for Sunday Bliss from NYC.  Our local government said yesterday "expect to be "self-isolated" for 2 weeks upon return", I was fine with that... DW was not... she's an Education Assistant & loves her kids... she wasn't confident the school would find a sub...

Now, I have no idea how I'm going to make this up to her... we almost got left standing on the pier in NYC, wondering where the ship was... I think DW deserves at least +25%... how would I have found a hotel for 1 week+food, until our flight returned home, for 600-lousy bucks (25%), & have to be quarantined for 2 weeks...

I wonder what that would have been worth?

PS... 3hrs 15min and still not posted on the website.... 

I know passengers have to cancel >48hours out, shouldn't the cruise line also have to follow the same rules?

Maybe they're already gone & the last guy forgot to turn out the lights....

NCL should do right by those who took the March 10 peace of mind offer and cancelled 48 hours out. It is not fair to those customers especially if they have a chronic condition that just a few days later a better offer comes out. Some of these people had no choice but to cancel.

NCL do the right thing and extend this offer to them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RHilla619 said:

I have a 4/11 sailing booked. With the wording they used does that mean I'm canceled and cruises starting 4/12 are still on? Or does that mean 4/11 is the first day they are allowing sailings again?

It simply means that around the end of the first week in April they suspend operations until further notice!

"Guests who are currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 13 to April 11, 2020 on Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises"

It goes into effect at midnight on March 13th. 1 Minute before the 30 days, would include the Sunday sailing.😢

2 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

LOL we already have one booked in October a Transatlantic, we are keeping that reservation, it was cheap cheap cheap. Now, the price is 3 times as much

But will it go ahead? 😉

NCL website just updated with this letter:

Last Updated: March 13, 2020, 6:00pm EST

A Letter from Norwegian Cruise Line President and CEO Harry Sommer

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we put our guests first, and today is no different.

Given the current health environment, I'd like to share an important update about Norwegian Cruise Line’s response to COVID-19. With the virus impacting communities around the globe, we have decided after collaboration with federal officials to voluntarily suspend cruise voyages across our fleet, effective immediately. This action is in effect for voyages with embarkation dates from March 13 to April 11, 2020. We will plan to recommence and operate with embarkations beginning April 12, 2020.

As I have said many times before, the health, safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our highest priority. While we have not had any confirmed cases across our 17-ship fleet and are taking this measure in an abundance of caution, we felt it necessary to do our part. Working closely and in partnership with local, state, federal and global agencies, we are committed to taking all appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Voyages that are underway will conclude and guests will be disembarked as soon as possible and assisted with travel arrangements. Other impacted guests and travel partners will be contacted with specific details shortly. However, in the meantime, please note that we will provide guests with future cruise credit and refund options. Please note:

• Guests who are booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 13 to March 17, 2020 are asked to contact their travel professional or contact us for more information.
    Guests will receive a 150% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit, which can be applied toward any cruise through December 31, 2022.
  • Guests who are booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 18 to April 11, 2020 are asked to contact their travel professional or contact us for more information.
    Guests will receive a 125% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2022.

Guests who do not want to avail themselves of the future cruise credit will receive a 100% refund of the fare paid reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form on this page which will be made available beginning March 23, 2020. We ask guests to wait to contact us regarding any refund until after March 23, 2020 as our reservation system will allow us to accommodate their requests at that time.

We are incredibly appreciative of your loyalty and trust in allowing us to welcome you aboard our amazing ships. We remain dedicated to providing our guests with the best travel experiences across the globe, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon.

Harry

--------

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We have implemented several preventative measures – the strictest out there – due to growing concerns regarding COVID-19 infections. We will continue to consult with The World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and take additional preventative actions as deemed necessary.

We apologize for the inconvenience to any guests affected by these new measures which have been put in place to ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew members.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Just because there are only a few hundred official infected does not mean that these are the only ones....

Fake news! What planet are you living on, there are currently 145,336 official cases of infection and 5,416 deaths....and rising as I write this!

Edited by hamrag

58 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I can only imagine summer and fall cruises prices will jump with all the people having FCC looking for something to use it on  

I doubt anyone will be cruising by summer. Think we are in for a fairly long haul with this 😞

A couple of things -

I for one appreciate the FCC or any option short of losing 100% of my fare, which NCL could choose to do since my contract says they are entitled to keep my final payment.  I get it wold be nice to get the cash refund/125% for those who cancelled recently, but this does seem to be how they do business.  Just remember - you could have been stuck for your entire fare.

As far as the high prices, I totally doubt they will be there once the cruise industry reopens for business.  I suspect it is a strategic move by NCL to discourage those on the fence from cancelling - “if we cancel we can’t book anything for close to the same price so we’ll take the chance”.  I’m sure the cruise companies will all be actively marketing and pushing their cruises and won’t price themselves out of the market.  Sit tight and don’t panic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

THis explains why they are "unboarding" the people who just boarded Sky this afternoon ... they didnt even make it to sailaway

How utterly depressing.  Imagine flying in, boarding (maybe purchasing your Vibe passes), getting your first cocktail, sitting down for a nice lunch and then told to disembark.  Ugh.  

I just filed a dispute with my CC company. Im not waiting 100 days for my 4000 bucks. Their response to this situation is ridiculous. Imagine telling NCL you wouldn't be making final payment until the day of sailing... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamnoone said:

I just filed a dispute with my CC company. Im not waiting 100 days for my 4000 bucks. Their response to this situation is ridiculous. Imagine telling NCL you wouldn't be making final payment until the day of sailing... 

Ditto. I was not about to wait this 10 days or 90 days or whatever other nonsense I'm reading. Called the credit card company, I had a letter sent to me by the person with NCL I spoke to today that specifically says they canceled, and he did the paperwork said I should see the money back on my card in a couple of days.

15 minutes ago, erdoran said:

A couple of things -

I for one appreciate the FCC or any option short of losing 100% of my fare, which NCL could choose to do since my contract says they are entitled to keep my final payment.  I get it wold be nice to get the cash refund/125% for those who cancelled recently, but this does seem to be how they do business.  Just remember - you could have been stuck for your entire fare.

As far as the high prices, I totally doubt they will be there once the cruise industry reopens for business.  I suspect it is a strategic move by NCL to discourage those on the fence from cancelling - “if we cancel we can’t book anything for close to the same price so we’ll take the chance”.  I’m sure the cruise companies will all be actively marketing and pushing their cruises and won’t price themselves out of the market.  Sit tight and don’t panic.

It’s fun to wax poetic, isn’t it? 

Now imagine you are actually in the situation. You have no choice but to cancel under the current policy. A policy that encourages people to travel, show up, wait and see until the last second. You cancel at the very last second, baffled that the cruise line has not done it on their own. 

A day later, someone who has chosen to cruise anyway ( despite current recommendations by the CDC, department of State and oh... everyone.... ) is now rewarded with a full refund or 150 percent cruise credit. All because the cruise line was sitting and waiting, maybe for their bailout or the powers that be to finally influence their irresponsible delay, to cancel the trip. 

You would be happy??? Thankful??! 

Citing terms of a contract written pre-pandemic, in a different world and situation?? When NCL was also fraudulently inducing people to enter into the contract to begin with?!

Please. 

Edited by nolegal22

Thanks, @poohdreaming.  It's quite strange, but the letter doesn't show up for me when I use Chrome (I've logged out of NCL.com, cleared cache, etc, etc.) so I thought it was still the previous message from 3/11.  I can see the letter on Firefox, but I wouldn't have known to look if you hadn't posted it here! 

29 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Fake news! What planet are you living on, there are currently 145,336 official cases of infection and 5,416 deaths....and rising as I write this!

Number of COVID19 deaths in US set to overtake South Korea’s by the end of this weekend. 

4 hours ago, JC5240 said:

They better do the right thing by those that have already canceled and got the "Peace of Mind" FCC for cruises during this time, ie: 125% FCC or revoke the FCC and give a cash refund. 

I love NCL, but I am totally nervous about the future of this company with the US Senate letter, and now this.

If you had 48 hours before sail date to cancel in this current environment with everything changing by the hour, why would anyone cancel before the last minute???

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nolegal22 said:

It’s fun to wax poetic, isn’t it? 

Now imagine you are actually in the situation. You have no choice but to cancel under the current policy. A policy that encourages people to travel, show up, wait and see until the last second. You cancel at the very last second, baffled that the cruise line has not done it on their own. 

A day later, someone who has chosen to cruise anyway ( despite current recommendations by the CDC, department of State and oh... everyone.... ) is now rewarded with a full refund or 150 percent cruise credit. All because the cruise line was sitting and waiting, maybe for their bailout or the powers that be to finally influence their irresponsible delay, to cancel the trip. 

You would be happy??? Thankful??! 

Citing terms of a contract written pre-pandemic, in a different world and situation?? When NCL was also fraudulently inducing people to enter into the contract to begin with?!

Please. 

Exactly and how about those that had cruise insurance through NCL but canceled with the peace on mind offer. I'm sure many would have preferred their cash back but now are stuck with FCC. This is not right and NCL is doing nothing to remedy it.

I use a specific CC for travel payment. The only other item I use this card for is one monthly auto-payment of $50 and the balance is paid in full monthly. If I take the refund, does the money just sit in the CC account until I finally use it all? Is there any way to get the cash back?

3 minutes ago, vswan said:

I use a specific CC for travel payment. The only other item I use this card for is one monthly auto-payment of $50 and the balance is paid in full monthly. If I take the refund, does the money just sit in the CC account until I finally use it all? Is there any way to get the cash back?

Not really. Use the CC credit to buy gift cards to Walmart, Target etc. Then buy your groceries and such with the gift cards. 

4 minutes ago, adamnoone said:

Not really. Use the CC credit to buy gift cards to Walmart, Target etc. Then buy your groceries and such with the gift cards. 

Call your credit card company and ask them for a check to be mailed to you.  

For those slamming me for being appreciative of the FCC for a contract written in a different time - i have a 6/14/20 sailing, and was eligible for a full refund of my fare a week ago because of the short-lived offer (hard to believe it was so recently) but waited till Monday to ask for it and by then it was gone, and I was in the same FCC boat as everyone else.

Yeah, it would have been GREAT to get the 150% and I sympathize that you folks with immediate cruises had to deal with a lot more than just cruise fare - many had hotels & air as well.  I hope NCL makes some allowance for all of that if you are stuck with it.

But I’m STILL entitled to my opinion and I’m glad I get something..  Yes, I’m already kicking myself for not taking the cash and I would also kick myself if I took the 100% FCC and then NCL offered that as cash plus 25% more FCC as compensation - but I’m just glad I’m not stuck (yet) for cruise fare.  And yes, I have air fees to still deal with, prepaid excursions, local transport, a (refundable, thank goodness) hotel, etc, etc.