NCL Suspends Operations for 30 days - BREAKING

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, nolegal22 said:

It’s fun to wax poetic, isn’t it? 

Now imagine you are actually in the situation. You have no choice but to cancel under the current policy. A policy that encourages people to travel, show up, wait and see until the last second. You cancel at the very last second, baffled that the cruise line has not done it on their own. 

A day later, someone who has chosen to cruise anyway ( despite current recommendations by the CDC, department of State and oh... everyone.... ) is now rewarded with a full refund or 150 percent cruise credit. All because the cruise line was sitting and waiting, maybe for their bailout or the powers that be to finally influence their irresponsible delay, to cancel the trip. 

You would be happy??? Thankful??! 

Citing terms of a contract written pre-pandemic, in a different world and situation?? When NCL was also fraudulently inducing people to enter into the contract to begin with?!

Please. 

So well said, NCL owes it to these people to make it right. It sickens me that this is how they treat their customers. The people that cancelled under the peace of mind 48 hour cancellation offer should receive the same current offer it is only fair.

Edited by mkdreams
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adamnoone said:

I just filed a dispute with my CC company. Im not waiting 100 days for my 4000 bucks. Their response to this situation is ridiculous. Imagine telling NCL you wouldn't be making final payment until the day of sailing... 

Remember, filing a dispute accuses the vendor of a criminal act. And that, when contacted by law enforcement (FBI for international crimes), you will aid in the criminal investigation. If they have a published policy, then there is no basis for a dispute. And if you are found to be submitting a false claim, you could be liable for investigation costs and NCL typically puts you on the Do Not Sail list forever. 

I'm going to change direction for a brief moment from FCC/Refunds to another important aspect of the title of this thread.... The Ships, the Crew, and the support staff on land that support the ships.

@chengkp75 Do you have any idea of what the cruise line will do with the vessels during a 30-60 day stand down? Where will they berth the vessels for that long? More importantly, what will they do with the hotel/restaurant staff and any non-essential crew that may be required during the vessel's down time? What about the long shormen and land based port staff that support the operations?

I know you may not have these answers, but I don't know anyone else here to ask but you and your extensive experience and knowledge.

4 hours ago, seaman11 said:

i think the cruiselines and the passengers are well aware of whats going on and that all are taking extra precautions , then it would be fine.  i didnt hear any new reports  of more cases from cruises coming back this week. 

The thing is, this is new territory. According to physicians, they are finding tat the virus remains with the host for 37 days. So, you have the virus for a few days, feel better, and what do you do? You'll carry on as if you just got over the flu and go about your day to day routine while infecting everyone along the way that's susceptible.

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Remember, filing a dispute accuses the vendor of a criminal act. And that, when contacted by law enforcement (FBI for international crimes), you will aid in the criminal investigation. If they have a published policy, then there is no basis for a dispute. And if you are found to be submitting a false claim, you could be liable for investigation costs and NCL typically puts you on the Do Not Sail list forever. 

I’m not too concerned. My dispute is for goods/services not delivered, which is 100% accurate. Why should NCL be able to hold my hard earned money? I paid them when payment was due. They aren’t delivering the goods I paid for. I am not willing to wait 100 days for my refund. Plenty of other cruise lines to sail if they blacklist me. 

Edited by adamnoone
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"Guests who are booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 13 to March 17, 2020 are asked to contact their travel professional or contact us for more information."

Has anyone been able to contact them or their travel agent for more information?  They were closed when I called so I am going to give it a shot tomorrow morning.

38 minutes ago, NoobCroozer said:

The thing is, this is new territory. According to physicians, they are finding tat the virus remains with the host for 37 days. So, you have the virus for a few days, feel better, and what do you do? You'll carry on as if you just got over the flu and go about your day to day routine while infecting everyone along the way that's susceptible.

well yes, im not saying if one catches it go about business as usual. 

This line scares me

"Guests on voyages that are underway will conclude and guests will be disembarked as soon as possible and assisted with travel arrangements"

What does this mean,  the Bliss was docked in the Bahamas when this announcement was made. Are they disembarking guests in the Bahamas or they going to return to NYC ?

I would hate to be left in the Bahamas relying on NCL to assist with travel arrangements

37 minutes ago, kevink1955 said:

This line scares me

"Guests on voyages that are underway will conclude and guests will be disembarked as soon as possible and assisted with travel arrangements"

What does this mean,  the Bliss was docked in the Bahamas when this announcement was made. Are they disembarking guests in the Bahamas or they going to return to NYC ?

I would hate to be left in the Bahamas relying on NCL to assist with travel arrangements

Bliss Enroute to NY

Breakaway is doing 22 and a half knots back to Port Canaveral, almost there. I haven’t seen her do 22.5 since she had her propellers re balanced and re-tweaked in drydock. 

Edited by BoundForSea

6 hours ago, seaman11 said:

they should have just banned 70 and older.  its not really "unsafe" to cruise for others.  everyone is well aware of taking extra precautions. 

This coming from the person who wanted to sail the whole cruise wearing a mask and gloves lol😂🤣😂

• Like 3

Spoke to a NCL rep about 30 minutes ago who said NCL had change of heart and they were just notified that all guest who cancelled the March 10 peace of mind refund offer will be transitioned to the new March 13 refund offer. Has anyone else heard this in the last half hour or so? If so please post update. I was told customers would be getting an email with instructions sometime tonight or by tomorrow morning. Not sure if this rep was correct and do not want to give anyone false hope. Again if anyone else has heard this please give an update. Hopefully NCL is doing the right thing.

Edited by knight2096
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, knight2096 said:

Spoke to a NCL rep about 30 minutes ago who said NCL had change of heart and they were just notified that all guest who cancelled the March 10 peace of mind refund offer will be transitioned to the new March 13 refund offer. Has anyone else heard this in the last half hour or so? If so please post update. I was told customers would be getting an email with instructions sometime tonight or by tomorrow morning. Not sure if this rep was correct and do not want to give anyone false hope. Again if anyone else has heard this please give an update. Hopefully NCL is doing the right thing.

Update, I called back twice and spoke with two different reps and they said they did not hear anything about this, so it sounds like the first rep I talked to may have sadly been incorrect. I guess we will find out.

13 minutes ago, knight2096 said:

Update, I called back twice and spoke with two different reps and they said they did not hear anything about this, so it sounds like the first rep I talked to may have sadly been incorrect. I guess we will find out.

I cancelled on the 11th due to the virus. NCL hasn’t sent my TA any info yet regarding any changes in my refund. I was not offered cash.  But I sure wish I was. Same with United Airlines. They gave us future credit for air but I can cash it out with a 300$ pp penalty. 

16 minutes ago, knight2096 said:

That's the NCL model.  Ask three different reps a question, get three different answers.

8 hours ago, seaman11 said:

they should have just banned 70 and older.  its not really "unsafe" to cruise for others.  everyone is well aware of taking extra precautions. 

It's still early, and there are other factors for us, but in the China outbreak the  death rate for people 60 -69 was 3.6%.  People 70 - 19 had a death rate of 8%, and for 80 and over it was 14.8%.

Diabetics (of any age) and people with hypertension (of any age) had higher mortality rates too. And for some reason, the CDC is suggesting you avoid alcohol, as it somehow makes the situation worse. Not sure of the mechanism here, or if they are just being political with the alcohol thing. BUT, judging from how people with the beverage plan drink, I would think being a 63 year old with diabetes and hypertension who drinks five drinks a day is a recipe for disaster on a cruise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fshagan said:

It's still early, and there are other factors for us, but in the China outbreak the  death rate for people 60 -69 was 3.6%.  People 70 - 19 had a death rate of 8%, and for 80 and over it was 14.8%.

Diabetics (of any age) and people with hypertension (of any age) had higher mortality rates too. And for some reason, the CDC is suggesting you avoid alcohol, as it somehow makes the situation worse. Not sure of the mechanism here, or if they are just being political with the alcohol thing. BUT, judging from how people with the beverage plan drink, I would think being a 63 year old with diabetes and hypertension who drinks five drinks a day is a recipe for disaster on a cruise.

the only mention of alcohol and Covid I have seen is for hand sanitizer. Where did you here about drinking alcohol being a problem? 

So we sail April 12! Uggghhh .. any ideas or knowledge if they are/will have any latitude with the dates at all? We are worried about sailing, husband is in vulnerable age/health category. Already rescheduled once from an itinerary that went to to San Fran a week later on the same ship, so not sure we can do the cruise credit thing again. 

9 hours ago, 3dogmom said:

Well crap. I sail April 18th! 

We sail April 12! Uuughhh 

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

That's the NCL model.  Ask three different reps a question, get three different answers.

That's funny because that is exactly what I got. The first rep told me yes, the second told me no and the third one said she did not know lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mkdreams said:

...The people that cancelled under the peace of mind 48 hour cancellation offer should receive the same current offer it is only fair.

Why?? They accepted an offer made by NCL, end of story!

8 hours ago, Midwestgal said:

Will they send out an email or do we need to call ?

They are making it as difficult as possible to claim 100% rather than the default position which is 125% FCC. We received our letter this morning, for our cancelled 22 March cruise....this is the relevant paragraph!

For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form at www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus. The form will be made available beginning March 23, 2020. We ask guests to wait to contact us regarding any refund until after March 23, 2020 as our reservation system will allow us to accommodate their requests at that time.

39 minutes ago, hamrag said:

They are making it as difficult as possible to claim 100% rather than the default position which is 125% FCC. We received our letter this morning, for our cancelled 22 March cruise....this is the relevant paragraph!

For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form at www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus. The form will be made available beginning March 23, 2020. We ask guests to wait to contact us regarding any refund until after March 23, 2020 as our reservation system will allow us to accommodate their requests at that time.

Gonna take 9 days to get the form available online?  Must be a very complex form, requiring their lawyers to go over it with a fine tooth comb.  Or they just want to keep your money as long as possible.  Would appear if you paid 90 days in advance and then they take another 90 days to return it to you it should include 180 days of interest.  Why should you give NCL a 180 day interest free loan?

14 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I estimate the chances of that as being exactly zero.

I estimate you are right and I am not impressed with NCL if our estimation is correct.  Totally wrong not to at least cover those that were at the cancel or lose time frame and sailing this weekend (like us).  Further out 'could' have held out, but sailing this weekend literally forced my hand and I decided to cancel.  Glad I did but not feeling right about this right now.