Carnival Over 70 Fit To Sail Letter ?

48traveler

4 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

We are also suppose to sail on May 11th (Liberty) - my sister, who is 72 and very healthy, will be glad to hear she may not have to deal with getting a letter from her doctor.  I, like you, doubt that cruises will be sailing in May, but we can hope, right?

Sure can   Good luck

Thank you 48traveler! You have shed new light on the subject, which I have always thought was ill conceived to begin with. 

We are so new into this thing, that many questions are yet to be answered and I have faith that I will sail in September.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 48traveler said:

I decided to call as if to book a new cruise and got a person right away who was very nice. I apologized for cheating to talk to her as I booked our cruise online myself for May 11. I know it will probably be cancelled, but anyway, as far as the over 70 Fit To Sail letter from your doctor, I was told that was only for those few cruises that were to sail when this mess got started. She said, as of now, there are no plans to extend the need for the letter. The main reason I called is because if our cruise does sail, our doctors have refused to give us a letter, even though we are healthy. Again, I do not look for our cruise to sail and would rebook for a later date but I was concerned about needing a letter I cannot get. 

Well, my PVP told me day before yesterday there is no way he would even remotely comment on the fit to sail requirement because it was just too early in this situation for Carnival to discuss that parameter as of now.

Edited by drolltroll
spelling

Just got my response from the VA, for a "fit to cruise" letter. They said, in light of the current conditions, they would not consider drafting any such letter. Don't blame them a bit, but looks like I'll have to canx our May 25th to Bermuda.

1 hour ago, CRocks said:

Just got my response from the VA, for a "fit to cruise" letter. They said, in light of the current conditions, they would not consider drafting any such letter. Don't blame them a bit, but looks like I'll have to canx our May 25th to Bermuda.

I requested one from the VA  Have not heard back and do not expect to. Please check my post where I talked to Carnival yesterday and they said the letter was required at first, but not for later sailings. I hope she is correct because our regular doctors will not sign either. Our cruise is May 11  Hoping for the best

4 hours ago, 48traveler said:

I requested one from the VA  Have not heard back and do not expect to. Please check my post where I talked to Carnival yesterday and they said the letter was required at first, but not for later sailings. I hope she is correct because our regular doctors will not sign either. Our cruise is May 11  Hoping for the best

I hope you are right, and thank you for the little tidbit of hope!  My 71-year-old SO is perfectly corrected by meds (we had been together for a while before I realized he even took any), but the chance of obtaining the letter is slim to none.

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I hope you are right, and thank you for the little tidbit of hope!  My 71-year-old SO is perfectly corrected by meds (we had been together for a while before I realized he even took any), but the chance of obtaining the letter is slim to none.

This is a reply email I got from guest care just now.

Message History
Response By Email (03/18/2020 07:58 PM)
Dear John Vanecek,

Those letters were sent out only to the guest that were sailing between March 12th and March 16th as that was a requirement by CDC. If a fit to sail letter is required by CDC for your cruise we will notify you.

Guest Access Support
Carnival Cruise Line

Customer By Service Email (03/18/2020 06:56 PM)

I wanted more info about the over 70 doctor letter which I cannot obtain

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 48traveler said:

This is a reply email I got from guest care just now.

Message History
Response By Email (03/18/2020 07:58 PM)
Dear John Vanecek,

Those letters were sent out only to the guest that were sailing between March 12th and March 16th as that was a requirement by CDC. If a fit to sail letter is required by CDC for your cruise we will notify you.

Guest Access Support
Carnival Cruise Line

Customer By Service Email (03/18/2020 06:56 PM)

I wanted more info about the over 70 doctor letter which I cannot obtain

Well, that's encouraging, at this point we'll take any encouraging news!

• Like 1

We are in the 70+ group.  No doctor I know would sign the letter that Carnival may or may not require.  I do believe that the 70+ group is a significant part of their business model since that group has the time and money to spend on a cruise.  It is encouraging to hear the requirement was a requirement and will be dropped.  We have a cruise booked for later this year and was concerned that we may not be allowed on board.  Hopefully by that time the ships will be cruising again and we will be allowed to board. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 8:24 PM, glrounds said:

Just came from my Doctor this morning and he didn't hesitate one bit. Did write "is fit to ocean cruise" instead of "sail", however. He smiled when he said, you're 80 and healthier than some 50 year-olds I treat. I felt very good. 🙂

What is the difference in fit to ocean cruise and sail?

On 3/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

It wasn't up to the cruise lines.  I don't think ships will be allowed to sail until sailing is considered safe....safe for everyone.

But the big question is, in who’s eyes.