Where will all the ships dock???

teach/2/cruise

Does anyone have any idea where all of the ships will dock during this suspension?  I can't think of any ship yard that would be big enough or have enough dock space for the length of the suspension.  

I'm sure they will be doing deep cleaning, repairs, etc.  The ships should be shiny and clean when they are back up and running.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teach/2/cruise said:

Does anyone have any idea where all of the ships will dock during this suspension?  I can't think of any ship yard that would be big enough or have enough dock space for the length of the suspension.  

I'm sure they will be doing deep cleaning, repairs, etc.  The ships should be shiny and clean when they are back up and running.

More importantly (to me anyway), will the staff stay on board? Will they be fed? Will they be compensated? 

Edited by wampuscat7
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

More importantly (to me anyway), will the staff stay on board? Will they be fed? Will they be compensated? 

Exactly.  The staff are the ones really suffering.  Will they get their pay?  but NO tips.  They count on this $$ to survive.  I feel for them.  They work hard!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Will they be fed?! Really?

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
NCL Getaway 3/29/2020
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021
CCL Dream 5/16/2021

There was a post today on the RCI board where a crew member said her contract was canceled with no notice. So who is to say that NCL, or any cruise line, will retain all of its staff while shut down? I mean, I would hope so, but I could see lines cutting down to a skeleton staff to save money. 

Edited by wampuscat7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

My room steward on my cruise 2 weeks ago said that NCL gives them a 2 month paid vacation at the end of their contract.  So I hope they can use the vacation time during this next month.

that would be wonderful if that would happen.

I've been imaging that they'll stock up with what they can, keep a minimal crew on board and anchor somewhere off the coast.  Shoot - if they can load up the proper supplies the ships that need Margaritaville converted could have that completed during this time, and the ships should be SPARKLING when they return to service.

• Like 4

Just off the Sun today.    Our butler said he was due to go home but with the flight situation he can't go and also his replacement can't make it to the ship.   Hopefully now that the cruises have been cancelled the crew can stay on the ships until they can continue to work or can travel home.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, luv2c00k said:

Just off the Sun today.    Our butler said he was due to go home but with the flight situation he can't go and also his replacement can't make it to the ship.   Hopefully now that the cruises have been cancelled the crew can stay on the ships until they can continue to work or can travel home.

Why would a replacement butler be needed?  NCL has canceled all cruises for the next 30 days at least.

1 hour ago, adam_s_allen said:

Maybe they'll just anchor the majority of the ships somewhere?

We are getting close to when they start to re position for the summer.  So there is some work to do to get them up to Vancouver/Seattle for the Alaska season and over into Europe for the Mediterranean season.  They might use the 30 days to  get them in the correct location. 

6 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Why would a replacement butler be needed?  NCL has canceled all cruises for the next 30 days at least.

This was this morning when we disembarked - before the cruises were cancelled.   Just saying that crew members cannot just fly home because of flight restrictions.   At the time I was talking to him - he had extended his contract for 1 month.   Hopefully they will be able to stay on the ships during this time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, em-sk said:

We are getting close to when they start to re position for the summer.  So there is some work to do to get them up to Vancouver/Seattle for the Alaska season and over into Europe for the Mediterranean season.  They might use the 30 days to  get them in the correct location. 

I can't imagine the ships heading to Italy will be cleared in 30 days.  I hope so, we haven't canceled our May 28 out of Rome....yet.

13 minutes ago, em-sk said:

NCL won't be doing Alaska this year til July at the earliest.  Canada has closed ALL ports until July.  NCL had 4 ships scheduled into Alaska this summer.  First time they ever had that many.  Oh well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I've been imaging that they'll stock up with what they can, keep a minimal crew on board and anchor somewhere off the coast.  Shoot - if they can load up the proper supplies the ships that need Margaritaville converted could have that completed during this time, and the ships should be SPARKLING when they return to service.

That’s actually an interesting marketing idea. 
IF, and that’s a big IF, a cruise line could verify the crew AND passengers were virus free, providing a 30+ day “quarantine cruise” to nowhere may appeal to a lot of people (and crew) vs parking an empty ship somewhere.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Cruise ships will not be allowed to dock in Canada until the 1st of July unless they have less than 500 people total on board according to an announcement by the Prime Minister of Canada.

32 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

NCL won't be doing Alaska this year til July at the earliest.  Canada has closed ALL ports until July.  NCL had 4 ships scheduled into Alaska this summer.  First time they ever had that many.  Oh well.

Does it really matter how many ships were scheduled in Alaska.  How about the whole industry.  Oh well✌️

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I read an article on the Internet (no idea how legit) where a crew member was quoted as saying they were all sent home.

"Don't believe everything your read on the internet".

-  Abraham Lincoln.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

I hope I'm wrong on this but I think the ships are going to be out of commission for more than 30 days.

I hope you're right. I was hoping for a cancellation by NCL but missed by 1 day. We are scheduled for Encore on 4/12. If there was any trip I wasn't looking forward to it was this one. I know I have a choice but it still stinks.

21 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Just got on (and off) the Sun today. We were canceled 30 minutes before sailaway. It was very sad for us, but my heart broke for the crew. Both our butler and concierge were very concerned about their jobs.

Most will be sent home.  They are contractors so that is how that goes.  I am sure once we can get a vaccine everything will be back to normal.  Best thing the cruise line can do it update their ships as they might have a decent amount of time to make some changes.

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

Does it really matter how many ships were scheduled in Alaska.  How about the whole industry.  Oh well✌️

Well, this is an NCL board so I thought it was pertinent Jeff.  I have little interest in the other cruise lines.  Call my a loyalist.