NZ closed to cruise ships until 30 June

7 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

Any announcements from Australia?  Often NZ and Aussie have similar policies.

Jacinda has been getting nowhere with the Australian treatment of NZ residents there - I  think its quite significant that she hasn't excluded  arrivals from Australia (which is most of them) from thsi ban 

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

Jacinda has been getting nowhere with the Australian treatment of NZ residents there - I  think its quite significant that she hasn't excluded  arrivals from Australia (which is most of them) from thsi ban 

Anyone arriving from Australia will be asked to self isolate too, only exceptions are people arriving from the Pacific Islands.  I don’t see our mutual PMs talks regarding the treatment of NZ citizens has any relevance regarding corona virus travel bans. The issues are and should be unrelated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wow! 

And everyone entering the country has to self-quarantine for 14 days.

That is the same restriction that Norway put in place earlier in the week. Norway is effectively closed to cruise ship visits. BTW, the 2020 Sea Princess World Cruise is scheduled to visit five ports in Norway.

46 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

Anyone arriving from Australia will be asked to self isolate too, only exceptions are people arriving from the Pacific Islands.  I don’t see our mutual PMs talks regarding the treatment of NZ citizens has any relevance regarding corona virus travel bans. The issues are and should be unrelated.

We are booked to fly there for 2 weeks in May

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I don't think the differentiation between Pacific Islands and Australia is because of the 'Australian treatment of NZ residents'. It is more likely because Australia has cases of the virus whereas the Pacific Islands don't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think the differentiation between Pacific Islands and Australia is because of the 'Australian treatment of NZ residents'. It is more likely because Australia has cases of the virus whereas the Pacific Islands don't.

Of course that would be the reason.  The virus is a health issue, not a political issue.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peter1956 said:

I am afraid our current prime minister is a bit slow. Admire the New Zealand prime minister. She leads

I think it would be a much more difficult decision to close Australia's doors totally, rather than NZ that is a much smaller country. A few weeks ago Australia put in place restrictions on who could enter the country and I believe these restrictions have been tightened.

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think it would be a much more difficult decision to close Australia's doors totally, rather than NZ that is a much smaller country. A few weeks ago Australia put in place restrictions on who could enter the country and I believe these restrictions have been tightened.

Why would it be more difficult?  Yes, Australia is a large continent,  NZ  is a small country.  Despite the size differences we are both island nations, geographically remote.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wow! 

And everyone entering the country has to self-quarantine for 14 days.

I wonder how the NZ authorities will enforce this? All very well to make the bold announcement but if it can’t or won’t be enforced, what’s the point?

Bold decision, but with only 4 reported cases in NZ so far, probably a good move. If they get more cases show up in the next few days, may be all in vain. Let's hope not. 

But, as previously mentioned, how are they going to police the 14 day self isolation? 

This is why NZ is doing the right thing.

"

20 new confirmed cases in New South Wales

The Department of Health has confirmed a slew of new coronavirus cases in New South Wales.

Among them are:
  • Two men and one woman recently travelled from Italy
  • A 64 year old woman recently travelled from Germany
  • A 67 year old man recently travelled from the US
  • Two people recently travelled from the UK and two from other European countries"

I wonder how long it was from the time they arrived in Australia to the time they were diagnosed. Did they go shopping locally, go to restaurants, movies, church, travel on public transport, etc, etc, etc.

Just now, cruisine21 said:

Were you covered by insurance?

We were but luckily qantas gave us a refund and other parts of the trip we could cancel. Still trying to get onto air New Zealand. Their phones are busy.

2 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

Were you covered by insurance?

Most travel insurance does not cover pandemics.  I know our major policy has this exclusion - thankfully we managed to cancel our holiday before losing much money.