Just an idea to share

mauibabes

The cruise line industry is in the “Tank” and stock prices are VERY low. When you are a Shareholder of NCL cruise line, 100 shares, you receive a benefit from NCLH of $50, $100, or $250 in Ship Board Credit on every cruise. Yesterday the price was under $12. A bunch of our Oceania  travel friends have also become shareholders.  The stock price will eventually go up AND we are booked on some future cruises and looking forward to taking advantage of this benefit. At $60 a share I opted out but at today’s prices, it presents a great opportunity for us travelers. Check it out and NO, I am not an employee of any NCL company but I am a travel agent so this applies to any of the major cruise lines.  Just sharing an idea. Gerry

26 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The cruise line industry is in the “Tank” and stock prices are VERY low. When you are a Shareholder of NCL cruise line, 100 shares, you receive a benefit from NCLH of $50, $100, or $250 in Ship Board Credit on every cruise. Yesterday the price was under $12. A bunch of our Oceania  travel friends have also become shareholders.  The stock price will eventually go up AND we are booked on some future cruises and looking forward to taking advantage of this benefit. At $60 a share I opted out but at today’s prices, it presents a great opportunity for us travelers. Check it out and NO, I am not an employee of any NCL company but I am a travel agent so this applies to any of the major cruise lines.  Just sharing an idea. Gerry

+1

-and this also applies to 401k stock portfolio's

Stock up (pun intended)  for the future-😷

It can only get better after this

Quick read and post guys. Yes it looks like a great and profitable opportunity and I love the extra SBC. You can never have too much.  Bonnie got a lovely necklace last trip for a fraction of the cost. Gerry 

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Gerry.... $1200 is not a ton of cash to risk  for 100 shares  I like your logic   Hey it costs $1500 to make a reservation !

only the potential profit  is small.... if it goes up 40 0r  50    thats only a few thousand... very small profit for very big risk    There are better risks...like Disney who has way more depth

• Like 1

Up to 6 days is $50,

7-14 days is $100,

15 days + is $250 

we figure we will get a bonus every time we sail and we believe the industry will rebound so the potential is great. Like was said, it isn’t a huge investment and after several longer cruises, your SBC will have paid for the investment. If it gets back to $50 in a year or two, that’s over 4 times return on your investment. Buy low sell high! I will buy a second block of shares to make sure I always get the SBC on all future cruises and use the other block to “ride the wave”. 
Ciao all O lovers

buying and selling is risky unless you know what you are doing.  i wouldn't rely on the advice of ANYONE on cc, especially a travel agent.  there are much better stocks out there when looking for ROI.  

if you buy 100 shares and it goes down a dollar, you have lost more than you will gain in obc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acritic said:

buying and selling is risky unless you know what you are doing.  i wouldn't rely on the advice of ANYONE on cc, especially a travel agent.  there are much better stocks out there when looking for ROI.  

if you buy 100 shares and it goes down a dollar, you have lost more than you will gain in obc.

I tend to agree.   You should buy stock in solid diversified companies for the long term..  Buying stock to get a discount on cruises does not seem to follow that ideal.   

• Like 2

The greatest long term risk for many cruise lines is not the Coronavirus itself. It’s the devastation occurring in the stock and capital markets. We may recover from the virus within 3-4 months, while the capital markets may not recover in our lifetimes. 

Stock prices, both real estate prices and rental prices, along with other tangible goods are spiraling downward. The future ability of many of Oceania’s , and others) geriatric Passengers to pay for cruises going forward will be greatly curtailed. This is the greatest issue the cruise lines face! Near zero percentage interest rates on depleted savings will create a new environment for most retirees.

The most frustrating thing I see on TV is people saying "It's OK to buy stock in [Company X] because the government will bail them out."

Historically, in most bailouts, the bondholders might get a fraction on the dollar or they may not, but the shareholders are wiped out. A forced merger might get shareholders a little something (Bear Stearns, anybody?), but a bailout crushes equity holders.

Edited by Shawnino
typo

All my AA frequent flyer miles , over 500K still, could easily be erased in any bailout. Just think of the overall liability for the airlines that move would erase!

AA has been a case study in corporate arrogance and malfeasance. It earned billions every year since 2013. Where did the money go? Not a rainy day fund, but 96% of it went to buy back AA stock creating a bubble price. The ability today to sell some of that stock to raise needed operating cash, just about nil. My guess corporate stock buybacks will be curtailed hugely in the future by new government rules. Good policy which will dampen stock prices even more!

Get ready for a massive wave of corporations either reducing or eliminating dividends for the foreseeable future.

Edited by pinotlover

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We may recover from the virus within 3-4 months, while the capital markets may not recover in our lifetimes. 

IMO it's impossible to compare this to '08 but I'll share this anyway. We met with our Fidelity adviser in the second week of the market debacle.  (Anecdote: he and his teenage son had been off the grid in the jungles of Guatemala the previous week and had no idea what had been going on.) I asked how long in '08 did it take to hit bottom. Just out of curiosity. He said three months. If one were fully in stocks, it took three years to recover. If balanced, as we were it took 18 months, which was our experience. Our 401(k) (at that time) lost 40% in value. So far we're down 10%. In '08 we made some pretty big lifestyle adjustments, including ZERO travel. We'll wait and see.

18 hours ago, clo said:

IMO it's impossible to compare this to '08 but I'll share this anyway. We met with our Fidelity adviser in the second week of the market debacle.  (Anecdote: he and his teenage son had been off the grid in the jungles of Guatemala the previous week and had no idea what had been going on.) I asked how long in '08 did it take to hit bottom. Just out of curiosity. He said three months. If one were fully in stocks, it took three years to recover. If balanced, as we were it took 18 months, which was our experience. Our 401(k) (at that time) lost 40% in value. So far we're down 10%. In '08 we made some pretty big lifestyle adjustments, including ZERO travel. We'll wait and see.

Sorry for the hit....there are some of us that have taken well over that.   using a Booker can cost you if the guy is not on top of things. ...just like cruise agents    Unlike Cruise agent situation  it can be way better to manage your own portfolio.. and do so with commission drains....  food for thought... anything he could have done you can do better..

Edited by Hawaiidan

48 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Sorry for the hit....there are some of us that have taken well over that.   using a Booker can cost you if the guy is not on top of things. ...just like cruise agents    Unlike Cruise agent situation  it can be way better to manage your own portfolio.. and do so with commission drains....  food for thought... anything he could have done you can do better..

I should have put "lost" in quotes. We didn't lose cause we didn't sell anything and it came all the way back and then some. We've been with Fidelity for quite a number of years (they managed my husband's pension before he retired and since) and have been super pleased. We don't buy and sell stocks any more than we work on our cars or clean out our gutters 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clo said:

I should have put "lost" in quotes. We didn't lose cause we didn't sell anything and it came all the way back and then some. We've been with Fidelity for quite a number of years (they managed my husband's pension before he retired and since) and have been super pleased. We don't buy and sell stocks any more than we work on our cars or clean out our gutters 🙂

What ever floats your boat.....if your pleased thats what counts.   I have been managing my  ameritrade after ditching a lot of advisers and omission  guys  for about 15 years. So I am more than comfortable with do it your self.... Just offering a different perspective  because I have seen brokers really screw some people  bad...if they thought the client was not wise to the investment world.....

On 3/18/2020 at 7:59 AM, Shawnino said:

The most frustrating thing I see on TV is people saying "It's OK to buy stock in [Company X] because the government will bail them out."

Historically, in most bailouts, the bondholders might get a fraction on the dollar or they may not, but the shareholders are wiped out. A forced merger might get shareholders a little something (Bear Stearns, anybody?), but a bailout crushes equity holders.

Never listen to TV people.... always do your own research and risk assment...  Not from a talking head just trying to fill air time.   would not touch bonds in this current state of affairs..... but thats me

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

What ever floats your boat.....if your pleased thats what counts.   I have been managing my  ameritrade after ditching a lot of advisers and omission  guys  for about 15 years. So I am more than comfortable with do it your self.... Just offering a different perspective  because I have seen brokers really screw some people  bad...if they thought the client was not wise to the investment world.....

We consider ourselves good students of our money. So far so very good. What we found in '08 is that almost no one changed their standard of living.

Buy NCL stock...never.  Cruise stock is not a good bet. That OBC won’t be worth much if people stop cruising. NCL could go out of business.  While I don’t think it is the end of all cruising, there will be casualties. Some cruise lines will go under. It has happened before.  Oceania has 4 R ships that were originally Renaissance Cruises. Renaissance went out of business. There have been other cruise line casualties like Home Lines, Majesty Cruises and Royal Viking.  Their ships were sold off. Some of those ships are still sailing.