Pursuit in Chile- CNN

MNgardens

20 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm sure that both you and Eclipse are working together to get you off in Chile in an orderly fashion. If its any comfort, Captain Leo is Master on Eclipse and I've sailed with him. He's an awesome guy. I hope that between him and Captain Carl they can negotiate something with Chile. All the best. 

Phil 

I think that negotiation reminds me of this classic story.

A full scale naval confrontation is just avoided off the Kerry coast.

This is the transcript of the ACTUAL radio conversation of a British Naval Ship and the Irish, off the coast of Kerry, Oct 95. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-03-02:

Irish: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid a collision.

British: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North, to avoid a collision.

Irish: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

British: This is the captain of a British navy ship. I say again, divert your course.

Irish: Negative. I say again, You will have to divert your course.

British: This is the aircraft carrier HMS Invincible. The second largest ship in the British atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, two missile cruisers, and numerous support vessels. I demand that you change your course, 15 degrees north, I say again, that is 15 degrees north, or counter-measures will be undertaken to ensure that safety of this ship.

Irish: We are a lighthouse. Your call

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

When you get to Miami U.S. citizens and legal residents will be taken care of.   The Grand Princess, when it docked, let the non U.S. folks out in country groups and flew them via charter to Great Britain.   Expect folks from other countries will need to contact their consulates to get transport home.  The passengers on the U.S. charter to Great Britain complained about the aircraft, lack of flight attendants, guys in hazard suits giving them sandwiches and water, etc. etc.   Guess the U.S. should not given folks free trips home, too many complaints.   I don’t know why British Airways didn’t send an aircraft to pick them up, would have saved the U.S. money.

6 hours ago, Rabo said:

Earlier today, Captain Carl announced that we would probably be refueled tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon. We’re still on target to arrive in Miami on March 30.

It’s being widely reported on Twitter that free WiFi has been withdrawn - any truth in that?

Maybe not surprising if they are having capacity issues, rationing will be needed.  Interesting though folks thought using what time they had on Twitter was the best thing to do.   What was their motive? Trolls? 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

At least the ship has already arrived in Valparaiso and re-fueling and provisioning are about to happen shortly. Hurtigruten's Roald Amundsen (I'm not sure about Holland America's Zaandam if they succeeded in leaving/ disembarking passengers) is still waiting in Punta Arenas, not being allowed to dock after their Antarctica cruise, with 100 Australian doctors and dentists on board who are needed back home.

I'm following news of Pursuit because we were supposed to be on board in April on a cruise full of Spanish and Italian ports... Interestingly enough Azamara is still selling those cruises , has not cancelled and "expects to start sailing again after April 11th". I wonder how they will manage that without airports in Europe open, travel bans to non-Europeans, Spain and Italy not allowing cruise ships and travel and all European countries fully occupied with managing the current crisis.

I hope for the cruise industry to survive and to be able to enjoy another Azamara cruise some day - on Pursuit or any other.

• Like 1

We are still anchored off of Valparaiso, waiting to be refueled. The Eclipse is also still anchored here waiting for their refueling to be completed. Passengers who made independent flight arrangements are being provided free satellite phone connections to contact their travel agents and airlines. Computers with free access have been set up in the Drawing Room and the Guest Relations area, in addition to those in the Card Room for the same purpose. 
Azamara is doing everything possible to keep the “cruise experience” as normal as possible. We are eating, drinking, lounging by the pool (now that we have warmer weather), and entertainment continues.

Pursuit staff, crew, resident and guest entertainers, and Miami are being great!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Maybe not surprising if they are having capacity issues, rationing will be needed.  Interesting though folks thought using what time they had on Twitter was the best thing to do.   What was their motive? Trolls? 

Actually it was relatives of people on the ship who were posting. They seemed to be concerned about not being able to contact their elderly relatives from now until 30 March.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabo said:

We are still anchored off of Valparaiso, waiting to be refueled. The Eclipse is also still anchored here waiting for their refueling to be completed. Passengers who made independent flight arrangements are being provided free satellite phone connections to contact their travel agents and airlines. Computers with free access have been set up in the Drawing Room and the Guest Relations area, in addition to those in the Card Room for the same purpose. 
Azamara is doing everything possible to keep the “cruise experience” as normal as possible. We are eating, drinking, lounging by the pool (now that we have warmer weather), and entertainment continues.

Pursuit staff, crew, resident and guest entertainers, and Miami are being great!

Great to hear people still have wifi access through the ship’s computers and to hear how much effort is being made to help people.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Great to hear people still have wifi access through the ship’s computers and to hear how much effort is being made to help people.

I have friends on board, they have access through their mobile devices as well.  They said the computers were for those who did not have access to devices onboard

• Like 1

When this same situation happened on Quest last week, they had numerous computers available for internet access but they specifically did not open WIFI to everyone because they knew the bandwith would be overtaxed.

• Like 2

Just an update from over on the Eclipse.  Chile continues to do everything possible to make our departure as difficult as possible.  Refusing our ability to even provision and refuel at the dock is turning this into a multi-day ordeal.  Hopefully a smaller ship like the Pursuit will take less time.  They couldn't have been worse hosts (Chile) and I for one will never return.  Celebrity is doing what they can.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markpc17 said:

Just an update from over on the Eclipse.  Chile continues to do everything possible to make our departure as difficult as possible.  Refusing our ability to even provision and refuel at the dock is turning this into a multi-day ordeal.  Hopefully a smaller ship like the Pursuit will take less time.  They couldn't have been worse hosts (Chile) and I for one will never return.  Celebrity is doing what they can.  

There really is no reason for them to not allowing docking.  On the Quest we accomplished refueling and re provisioning while docked in Sri Lanka and they are presently doing the same in Abu Dhabi.  Everyone was masked, ship and pier personnel both (and between which there was virtually no contact).

But in reality, a number of ports don't let ships even approach and itineraries must be severely altered.  At least you are getting fuel and provisions, albeit with some issues.  The alternative is much worse.

I had the experience of embarking Azamara Pursuit in Valparaiso on February 4 (San Antonio was closed due to ocean conditions).  The port is really not equipped to load passenger ships and the Chilean authorities made it very challenging.  Azamara Pursuit officers and crew did an amazing job of getting it all done.  Chilean regulations require that the containers that had been inspected/approved in San Antonio be re-inspected when they arrive at Valparaiso.  They refused to approve an entire container because something (unknown) had broken and spilled in the juggling.  Pretty much everything has to be load by hand onto the ship.  There are also challenges with the fueling process due to the stringent Chilean regulations.  It looks like Pursuit is docked.  I'm not sure that the port has room to also let Celebrity dock at the same time.  I wish all who are on board a safe extended journey home.

Valparaiso was the port of choice for many years.  It has the ability but not the desire to work with ships. That is why the cruise lines moved to San Antonio.  A couple of years ago we boarded a Princess ship after waiting 6 hours in the blazing sun while they decided how much Princess had to "pay" them for the work to commence.  Really sad because it is a beautiful country. We faced strikes and slowdowns at every port in Chile.  For those on the Pursuit, you could not be with a better Captain.  If anyone can charm the powers that be, Captain Carl can.  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Valparaiso was the port of choice for many years.  It has the ability but not the desire to work with ships. That is why the cruise lines moved to San Antonio.  A couple of years ago we boarded a Princess ship after waiting 6 hours in the blazing sun while they decided how much Princess had to "pay" them for the work to commence.  Really sad because it is a beautiful country. We faced strikes and slowdowns at every port in Chile. 

I think It's a character of South America in general as being corrupt. Not sure I'd single out Chile on its own and I always found the Chilean people very nice.  I heard many stories of containers going missing in South America. Just disappeared and they were more often than not the ones that contained alcohol and tobacco. 

Chile has just declared a state of emergency which goes some way to explaining why both Pursuit and Eclipse were refused docking rights there. If you had knowledge of the Princess ships and terrible press cruises in general have received recently, would you let them in?

It's those requiring repeat prescriptions I feel really badly for. It must be so stressful. I heard anecdotally that Captain Leo on Eclipse has been amazing here and elsewhere. He's a top guy. 

Phil 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think It's a character of South America in general as being corrupt. Not sure I'd single out Chile on its own and I always found the Chilean people very nice.  I heard many stories of containers going missing in South America. Just disappeared and they were more often than not the ones that contained alcohol and tobacco. 

Chile has just declared a state of emergency which goes some way to explaining why both Pursuit and Eclipse were refused docking rights there. If you had knowledge of the Princess ships and terrible press cruises in general have received recently, would you let them in?

It's those requiring repeat prescriptions I feel really badly for. It must be so stressful. I heard anecdotally that Captain Leo on Eclipse has been amazing here and elsewhere. He's a top guy. 

Phil 

That went through my head too Phil. Some of the antics last year were a joke. 
Yes thumbs up for Captain Leo a great guy dealing with a much bigger numbers problem re supplies and medications than Pursuit.  Bet he’s still smiling and being so modest as always.

Azamara stopped going to South America for a few years because of issues. RCI are a company with a very strict anti corruption policy. They will not pay bribes, no ifs, no buts end of, I admire them for that. 

I suspect some of the stand offs around the world have related to that and explains why Journey despite being in a country that’s taken one of the toughest stands against virus transmission has been able to disembark guests today but the other vessels had issues. 
When cruising returns, why would ships go to the “unreasonable” parts of the world. My view, take them off the itineraries and explain in an appropriate way why to guests.

• Like 2

Pursuit has pulled up anchor. We are loading the  final supplies and then will be departing Chile. As of right now there are no plans to resupply in Lima and we will be heading to Panama and then to Miami.

Eclipse is is still anchored and actively taking on supplies. Hopefully they will be departing soon as well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, btaylor1200 said:

Pursuit has pulled up anchor. We are loading the  final supplies and then will be departing Chile. As of right now there are no plans to resupply in Lima and we will be heading to Panama and then to Miami.

Eclipse is is still anchored and actively taking on supplies. Hopefully they will be departing soon as well. 

Fair winds and following seas Pursuit.  Travel safe.  Eclipse hopes to be not far behind you.

• Like 4