Should I cancel May 23 Alaska

Janet76

Yes, cancel before March 21st to get full cash refund.  $350 will be FCC.  Better to do it before 21st if you decide to cancel.  Hold up time is terrible.  However, if HAL cancels on their term then its 100% cash refund or 125% FCC.  Since we can't cruise next year, we are going to decide soon.  I hope HAL will make announcement soon as some us need to make decision soon.

Janet

16 hours ago, Janet76 said:

Travel by feb 28, 2021.  

I don't know which airline you were going to fly . However check this Forbes  site to know the cancellation policy of each company. Some are changing their T&C to accommodate the passengers after the speech of POTUS on Friday as well as what is happening with domestic/international flights and closing of borders.:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/2020/03/11/master-list-of-airline-coronavirus-policies/#7a1776206827

I really don’t know why anyone would hold off.  If some miracle happens, then cruises will be dirt cheap and you can rebook.

Holding out hoping for something extra is now foolhardy in my opinion.  The cruise lines may well say, too bad so sad.  This was a “known” problem like the insurance companies are refusing coverage.  Or they might just start offering FCC’s.  Who knows?

It’s obvious so far that this will not be gone until July most likely.  I hope those predictions are wrong but it’s time now to stay safe and bite the bullet.  I know, I’ve bitten and it’s painful but we have to face the inevitable.

Everyone needs to test their own risk tolerance and what they will be happy with but I highly doubt there will be cruises for some time or, if there are, they may be more cruises to nowhere.  JMO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

Why not simply make a decision and move forward.  What are you expecting...a vote of some sort or tablets from on high?

I think she was asking for peoples “expert” opinions to assist her in making an educated decision.

Not sure why there’s all these snarky responses. I wish people would just consider their comments prior to pushing send. 

I’m waiting and seeing as well because, guess what, half our party will not be able to rebook for next year and losing 50% of my money bc I cancel, before waiting to hear whether the cruise line is canceling or asking if anyone here has heard anything new, is downright stupid.

• Like 4

If Alaska May-July is canceled, then yes, it will be 100% cash refund or 125% FCC of base fare.  This excludes tax and cancellation protection. None of the cruise industry has made an announcement.  Probably trying to figure out how to save Alaska 2020 season.  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, Janet76 said:

We will call by March 19th.  We can't be on the phone all day as we work full time.  We have never seen panic and mass hysteria like this.  Good luck everybody.

Janet

I called at 5:05AM California time this morning and immediately got an agent, cancelled my Alaska cruise of May 19th out of Seattle with no problem. I used my Platinum Protection Plan and was told would receive the majority as refund to credit card and a small amount in a FCC. When added together,  the cost of the cruise was entirely covered (except of course for the cost of the PPP).

I was pleased I did not have to wait for an agent. If things should improve by May, I can always rebook if I want to. I always book refundable air so will hold off cancelling that and the hotel until closer to the sail date.

• Like 1

This is our exceedingly cautious decision.

Our age puts us in the 'at risk' category so this in large measure determined our decision to cancel the 14 day round trip Vancouver mid August cruise.

Should COVID 19 reach isolated northern communities it would be a tragedy.  Vancouver is the only Cdn. port but I wonder if those small American ports could cope with medical challenges of the virus any better than such communities in northern Canada.

We returned March 1 from a 28 day COVID19 free Princess cruise with the usual ship board colds and arrived home safely.  Travel got significantly more tricky thereafter.

I realize our time line is not related directly to this thread, but this our decision.

Ruth

5 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Thank you for posting about your call.  I'm thinking of doing the same, albeit I only have the Standard Coverage, but I guess 80% is better than nothing......

Our TA suggested we wait it out as the borders are now closed and the Canadian ports are also closed to cruise ships. I didn’t buy the trip protection because we booked with our Amex platinum. I would prefer 100% refund given I cannot use FCC for the foreseeable future. They can’t keep money for a cruise that’s not going to happen.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowerin999 said:

Then FCC are all they can offer. It’s the same thing. Unless they’re out of business. Then a FCC is worthless anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yep.....the future FCC is not my preference but it may be the best I can get for my May cruise.

I would rather have HAL cancel and get $ back but that is like playing chicken at this point.  Or more like me watching HAL and CV having a staring contest.

I mentioned in another thread that HAL is still sending me emails to book my cruise now!  I am sure their sales are down but they are not going to stop that revenue right now.

Several sources, including a Fed report issued today and a European research study released the other day, say there will be waves of the Covid-19 for the next 18-24 months! Scary scenario.

I would cancel, I hate to be party pooper but this virus is just starting out in the US  and I don't see any kind of improvement in the near future. I'm hoping that it dies out in the summer months from heat and humidity and hopefully the lines will be sailing in the fall. I cancelled a cruise today with Celebrity for August 9th and lost 200 dollars out of 500 because it was a no refund deposit with the remaining 300 going to a future cruise before Dec. 1, 2021. 

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, Djptcp said:

Several sources, including a Fed report issued today and a European research study released the other day, say there will be waves of the Covid-19 for the next 18-24 months! Scary scenario.

The document you mention is a planning document. It IS NOT a scientific prediction. It essentially says, if the corona virus behaves like the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918, these things COULD possibly happen. It is far from a certain, or even likely, event.

8 hours ago, Snowerin999 said:

I know, but what if they run out of money for reimbursements?

No, I don't think they will run out of money for reimbursements.  They will make an announcement and honor your refund in the near future.   We canceled our cruise.  Small amount issued as FCC and rest back to our bank.  Yes, May-July will be canceled and HAL will offer refund/FCC, but we decided to cancel and move on.  Just a personal decision.... Good luck MudderBear.  Wish you the best.

Edited by Janet76

HAL's KONINGSDAM March 15, 2020 cruise was cancelled at the very last hour. Cancelled by THEM, not cancelled by us.  So... what that means is HAL Refunded me 100% of ALL our cruise expense PLUS the extras like Airfare and Hotel in Florida, PLUS, we get a $FREE$ cruise next year equal to the value of the one that THEY cancelled on us. Comprende'??

If WE had taken their March 11th 'Full Refund' offer we wouldn't have had to pack our bags, etc.;we coulda simply gotten our money back and that would have been the end of it.  Each to their own... but remember; if you wanna live on the edge.. and wait for THEM to cancel you just may come out better financially. But be prepared to board the ship if it DOES sail. 

If a cruise line cancels Years and YEARS before sailing account a sinking or bankruptcy etc I don't know what the law provides

• Like 2

I will wait for HAL to cancel mine and if they don't I will cancel 48 hours before going unless my doctor says its okay to go when I see him in April, which I don't expect him to allow me to go. A HAL cancellation will trigger the insurance for  my flight reimbursement from my Chase Sapphire Reserve insurance instead of a future fly /rebook certificate from my airline. I am also waiting for  the airline to cancel the flight but that me 72 hours before I go, its canceled for the next 30 days.

I did cancel my excursions booked through HAL, my internet and a few other things today.

I am leaving my privately booked excursions for now until I know what I will do later in the year.

Alan-

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, utahtea said:

I don't see how any cruise line (not just HAL)  can get around not being able to port in Canada since they need a foreign port so even departing from Seattle isn't going to work for the Alaska cruise.  But that's just my though. 

If Victoria is used only as a service stop (no one goes ashore) that may work.   

Edited by Boatdrill

2 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

HAL's KONINGSDAM March 15, 2020 cruise was cancelled at the very last hour. Cancelled by THEM, not cancelled by us.  So... what that means is HAL Refunded me 100% of ALL our cruise expense PLUS the extras like Airfare and Hotel in Florida, PLUS, we get a $FREE$ cruise next year equal to the value of the one that THEY cancelled on us. Comprende'??

If WE had taken their March 11th 'Full Refund' offer we wouldn't have had to pack our bags, etc.;we coulda simply gotten our money back and that would have been the end of it.  Each to their own... but remember; if you wanna live on the edge.. and wait for THEM to cancel you just may come out better financially. But be prepared to board the ship if it DOES sail. 

If a cruise line cancels Years and YEARS before sailing account a sinking or bankruptcy etc I don't know what the law provides

Very last hour?

Like an hour before.....hours....days?

Curious