for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Cynthia - Happy Birthday!!!  I hope you had the day you wanted, even though you weren't traveling.

All this issue with Texas and the lack of electricity made me think of what I have here if that would happen.  I will recommend that everyone go to MPOWERD and look at their solar-powered lanterns!!  They squish to nothing and put out a really good light.  I've got like 4 different ones and one is in my car.  They are really reasonable price-wise.  And, I'd get a solar battery charger so you can keep some charge in your phone once your Power Monkey goes dead.  And, I decided I will always keep some cannisters of my camping fuel so I can use my camp stove to cook and heat up water.  Little things.  Would be good in hurricanes, too...

I have a bad case of COVID fog" today, so I can't remember anything of note today...

Oh - we did our liquor divvy up today at work.  Any beer, wine, spirit left behind we take.  When we get a bunch, we divide it up.  I refuse to take any more Tito's - I have enough to last me about 10 years!!!   I did get a bottle of Rosé, two bottles of Sauvingon Blanc and 3 different cans of beer.  The girls are happy that the boss and I don't like those hard seltzers - they got a bunch of it this time.  

OOTD:  I was a Woolx person today, leggings and hoodie sweater.  Can't go wrong with it!!

• Like 2

Good morning, I have never tried any of those hard seltzer's.  If I feel like something light but 

a nice flavor (not a wine),  I really like Angry Orchard which is hard cider.  

• Like 1

Good morning, (I guess afternoon for most) :)

Kat, nice score on the left overs!  I do have a solar charger, but we also figure our car chargers could be used 

I am a hard seltzer fan, but only certain ones, not a fan of the sweet ones, but trader joes carries a brand called "wild basin"  & I like the Truly brand citrus flavors.. I've also mixed the lime truly with costco sangria...  makes it lighter & good for summer. 

We did another social distance front yard get together with kids & grandkids last night, we're so lucky that our weather allows this.

Steve made hebrew national franks on sticks with pillsbury croissant dough in ribbons around it, & some heart shaped ones for our granddaughter... I made trader joes regular mac & cheese for the little ones, but did TJ french onion mac & cheese for the grown ups, wow!  super good, I divided into two small casseroles, & cooked in the air fryer/toaster oven (we just bought one from costco to replace our broken toaster) super happy with the mac & cheese & the air fryer/ toaster oven...  we've done frozen chicken wings a few times now & they come out crispy without frying,  nice to be able to do things like frozen fries without heating up the big oven.  

stay safe everyone, & have a good weekend :)

• Like 1

Hi girls, Cynthia, if you are around today........I am watching CNN and looking at their evening

schedule for tonight........it looks like Episode 1 from the Italy series is repeating at 10:00pm 

tonight, not 11:00.  Check your local listing but we are in the same time zone.......they must

have changed the timing this week.  I know you wanted to watch it!

Everyone's gone but me, so...

I was in the middle of a post late last night when my MacBook froze up - the spinning wheel and nothing I usually do would kill it.  So, I turned off and tried to turn on - no luck.   So, I have a few things that I've seen to try to get it back up.  Or, I'll be buying a new one...  

I had a "gentleman" drop the "F-bomb" on me last night when I told him he had to wear a mask.  And, I was trying to get him to stop yelling at his wife in the elevator.  He got all pissy with me again today about the mask.  Fortunately they left this afternoon.  His wife came up and apologized for his behavior.  I had to ask where they were from - Los Angeles.  I guess he thought he was getting a holiday from masking...  

I got my newsletter from Katie Parla the other day.  She posted the schedule for all the SfI episodes:

2/21: Rome

2/28: Bologna

3/7: Milan

3/14: Tuscany

3/21: Sicily

Katie is on with Stanley tomorrow on the Rome one!  I'm going to have to watch it in 2 parts again since I don't get home until around 7:30 and it starts here at 7.   

Was the French Onion Mac & Cheese over with TJ's regular boxes of frozen M&C?  There was something over there that piqued my interest, but the carbs told me "no, no, no"  I remember rolling hotdogs in dough and roasting them way back at Girl Scout Camp - tasty!!!

Tonight I'm picking up some lettuce and using up the rest of my rotisserie chicken for a salad.  Maybe pick up something for dinner tomorrow so I can get right home and start watching!!

OOTD:  Gosh, I love the "dress code" here at work - no code.  Today was Woolx leggings with the pockets and my old Athleta lt. blue hoodie sweater.  I was still the best put-together staff member today!!  

• Like 1

I had a cheat day on both my diet and my no-alcohol plan. My daughter, granddaughter, and grand-pittie came over and we celebrated daughter's birthday early.  We had ribs, wings, baked beans, asparagus, baked potatoes, and fresh baked bread (damn, my hubby can cook!). My daughter wanted to make her own cake, so we had strawberry-Nutella cake with strawberry ice cream. We split a bottle of Apothic Midnight and I had a glass and a half. I go right back on my diet tomorrow, so it was a planned cheat day.

My granddaughter was so cute. She told her Mom to stay downstairs, that she and Grandma were going upstairs to make something for her (I got a Cricut machine last year). Guess I got my marching orders. We (mostly me) made a travel mug with a rearing horse in a blue shimmer. She was so excited.

The sun was shining today. We haven't seen it in about a week or so, except in passing. My Mom texted me that they were finally above freezing for the first time in *13* days. They live in southern Missouri and it's not usually that bitter, even though it is cold.

• Like 2

Good morning,  PH, sounds like a wonderful time🙂 and much of that menu

is healthy......ribs and asparagus...YUMMY on both counts. Now of course that

Nutella? That would be the treat for sure🙂

I wonder if Cynthia saw my message. or somehow was able to see Episode 1 at the correct

time last night.  Tonight is Rome🙂 Episode 2.

• Like 1

I forgot to ask, did any of you see the plane that lost part the right engine yesterday?😲

Melody, is Broomfield near you? That looked really scary after the fact......that GIANT piece of 

metal that landed in that family's yard.....wow!  Nobody was injured (unbelievably).  And then

some of the video was released and you could see the engine on fire.........amazing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I got my newsletter from Katie Parla the other day.  She posted the schedule for all the SfI episodes:

2/21: Rome

2/28: Bologna

3/7: Milan

3/14: Tuscany

3/21: Sicily

Katie is on with Stanley tomorrow on the Rome one!  

Arrrgh, such a tough choice. One other show that I watch has its season finale at the same time as CNN is running the Stanley Tucci series. I know (now) that I can catch either one at a later time, but -- really?  There are like 3 shows I like on "regular" TV and two of them at the same time?  Not fair.

Of course, who am I kidding I'm going to watch Stanley. You had me at Rome. If it was any other region....

It will be fun to watch for Katie as well. I find it kind of funny that she has an art history degree from Yale and has expertise in archaeology and yet it's the food gig she's been successful with. She used to show up from time to time on shows like "Underground Rome" and "Underground Naples" (shows about hidden ancient sites...)

47 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I wonder if Cynthia saw my message. or somehow was able to see Episode 1 at the correct

time last night.  Tonight is Rome🙂 Episode 2.

I didn't see your message, but I did keep checking the listing on CNN as I didn't want to miss it, so yes, I saw it. Excellent show. Crazy storm over the Amalfi Coast they had!  

I had to chuckle about the San Marzano tomatoes. I'd actually heard about this before. They have a very small designated area -- most "San Marzano" tomatoes are not. Also I've had some of that fresh buffalo mozzarella near Paestum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I forgot to ask, did any of you see the plane that lost part the right engine yesterday?😲

Melody, is Broomfield near you? That looked really scary after the fact......that GIANT piece of 

metal that landed in that family's yard.....wow!  Nobody was injured (unbelievably).  And then

some of the video was released and you could see the engine on fire.........amazing.

Brookfield is about an hour maybe a bit more north of me. Before Covid that field would’ve been full of little soccer herds. Now they have to have the area completely clear before another herd comes in. Totally insane, no games scheduled for yesterday. Our oldest granddaughter is a soccer coach there. There’ll be a couple of new roofs & the guy that had the cowling land (on top of his truck before it landed in his yard) will get a new truck & new siding. He was on our local news last night. He was going out to tune up his truck & got distracted by a tv show otherwise it might not be been such a good outcome. He said he was really going to miss his truck. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Arrrgh, such a tough choice. One other show that I watch has its season finale at the same time as CNN is running the Stanley Tucci series. I know (now) that I can catch either one at a later time, but -- really?  There are like 3 shows I like on "regular" TV and two of them at the same time?  Not fair.

Of course, who am I kidding I'm going to watch Stanley. You had me at Rome. If it was any other region....

It will be fun to watch for Katie as well. I find it kind of funny that she has an art history degree from Yale and has expertise in archaeology and yet it's the food gig she's been successful with. She used to show up from time to time on shows like "Underground Rome" and "Underground Naples" (shows about hidden ancient sites...)

I didn't see your message, but I did keep checking the listing on CNN as I didn't want to miss it, so yes, I saw it. Excellent show. Crazy storm over the Amalfi Coast they had!  

I had to chuckle about the San Marzano tomatoes. I'd actually heard about this before. They have a very small designated area -- most "San Marzano" tomatoes are not. Also I've had some of that fresh buffalo mozzarella near Paestum.

Hi, hope you had a good birthday and happy you were able to see episode 1.  Yea, that storm

on the Amalfi Coast was crazy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

@slidergirl sorry I didn't reply, the mac and cheese was in the frozen section in a box,  definitely carb heavy & something for a "treat" day

Well, I'll be down in SLC tomorrow to do my 6-month post-op visit with my opthalmologist.  I was kind of thinking of swinging by TJs and picking up a salad or two.  I may get that mac & cheese.  Although, I think I've had a few too many "treat" days lately!!!!  

27 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Nope it’s Broomfield, I had fat fingers on my phone & didn’t catch the error 

LOL...Good morning, I was reading about this morning and realized I had it right as well😃

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

kat, the box is 960 calories!  Luckily, we split it between the 4 adults, but boy was it good 🙂

Fortunately, I don't have to watch the calories so much.  Unfortunately, it's the carbs that I have to watch.  I don't know if I could dole that stuff into 4 portions for myself...  It's a definite "cheat" thing.  I can't go without pasta, rice and the like for long.  It's a failing of mine.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

So, did any of you see the Rome episode last night.........I love Italian food😃

I did see it.  In two parts because I get home after it starts.  Brought back some warm memories.  Armando al Pantheon - where I always go for my first dinner in Rome.  I've never had the Amatriciana there, though.  First time I was there, someone told me to ask if they had the pasta with wild strawberry available and I had that (amazing).  The rest of the times, I've been there on Thursdays and I MUST get the gnocchi with gorgonzola.  I'll have to fly into Rome on another day of the week next time!!!  I have had Amatriciana at Roscioli, a place that Katie Parla set me up with - so absolutely yummy with the guanciale and a light toss of sauce.  Having it with pancetta now just isn't the same.  

Those artichokes!!!  I've always had the "gricia" style, never the Jewish style.  I'll have to try those next time.  Cynthia has a favorite place, but she won't give it up 😉   I have had the ones poached in olive oil at Armando - I could have had nothing but a plate of those and walked away happy. 

I made an unfortunate choice in watching as soon as I got home and didn't have any food since noon...  Pasta, pasta, pasta - it was hard!!!   

• Like 1

I've got my 6-month post-retina fix meet with my opthalmologist this afternoon.  It's going to be fast - my vision is already back to almost normal.  The floaters are either gone or my brain has learned to ignore them.  My other opthalmologist still has me on Valtrex and Prednisone drops for the infections.  But, it's like another chapter in my long haul is closing.  Yay!!!  

OOTD:  kind of like "use, rinse, repeat" - a pair of leggings, a hoodie.  I LOVE it!!!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Those artichokes!!!  I've always had the "gricia" style, never the Jewish style.  I'll have to try those next time.  Cynthia has a favorite place, but she won't give it up 😉   I have had the ones poached in olive oil at Armando - I could have had nothing but a plate of those and walked away happy. 

I used to like the ones in olive oil, but after I had the fried ones (the carciofi alla giudia), there was no going back. Stanley said they were like candy because you can't stop eating them but it's more like potato chips -- can't eat just one. 

Of the "fab four" pastas, I like carbonara the most. I get variable results at home -- sometimes the sauce just doesn't get creamy for me. And yes, I stick to the classic ingredients. I want to try Bistro 64 next time I'm in Rome...

Not a fan of the quinto quarto, I have to say. I've tried. It's just not for me. (Although I'd be willing to give that frittata with the chicken 'bits' a bite....)

And finally -- since I saw the Campania show so close to the other one, I also wanted to say that I really want to try that recipe for pasta with zucchini. It sounds wonderful.

• Like 2