for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

17 hours ago, awhfy said:

The Athleta masks are the most comfortable I’ve used. I still have two packs of them that I haven’t opened yet

When I bought a tank top the other month, I was given a "gift" of a pack of masks.  I still haven't opened that one.  AND, when I received my roller and crossbody pack from Sahalie, I was surprised with 3 nice masks from Blue Verve (an ocean environmental group).  I think I'm full up again with masks for the Fall/Winter.  Somewhere I've lost  3 of my Cotopaxi masks, so I may buy again as they are bright colors and very comfortable. 

Bon Voyage to Sherri and her DH!   Have a great time!

I ended up buying my flight tickets.  Refundable Business (just in case).  Bought through AMEX Travel.  Interesting that it was about $500 cheaper with them, using my Plat card than  buying through Delta.  And, using my Membership rewards, it was a good buy.  I put a few extra days on the backend of the trip (4) so I can  figure out somewhere to play - Provence, Monaco (I know some people there), Paris, train to Brussels - the hamster wheel has a lot to play with for the year!!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 6:00 PM, 57redbird said:

Kat -- I ordered the Athleta masks - they came today -- I think I like them.  If anyone's interested the ones I ordered were on sale - 5 masks for $14.95.

I have multiple pleated Athleta masks--they're my favorite for working out or if I have to be in heat and humidity (I"m talking to you, NC, in August🥵). I tried their "active" but they didn't work with my glasses because I couldn't get a seal and it was continuous fogging. I ended up giving them away.

• Like 1

Sherri - is Tropical Storm/Hurricane Ida going to have any effect on your cruise???  I hope not!!

And, there's a tropical storm/hurricane on the Mexican Pacific too.  Man, it's a bad year already for storms.  

Purple - I find I have better "sealing" with the pleated masks I have when I had to wear them all afternoon/evening for work.  Outside of that, any of my masks work for short times.  It really is a "try it and see" effort for all of us to find what works best.  I have this feeling that we're going to be masking up again this Fall/Winter.  It won't bother me.  I kind of liked not having to worry about all that stuff that floats around in Winter.  

Cynthia should be finishing up her cruise.  Looking forward to hearing how it went.  

Good morning girls😀well, today and tomorrow and then Sunday I am back home. It has been a fun cruise and my next one is in October😀making up for lost time LOL

• Like 2

Lois, you’re becoming a cruising machine!! Where are you off to in October?

I hope this Hurricane Ida doesn’t cause too much damage. Cruise ships normally avoid storms by readjusting itineraries but those on board now in the Caribbean please stay safe. Melody

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Lois, you’re becoming a cruising machine!! Where are you off to in October?

I hope this Hurricane Ida doesn’t cause too much damage. Cruise ships normally avoid storms by readjusting itineraries but those on board now in the Caribbean please stay safe. Melody

Ida is looking bad right now.  Weather people keep referring back to Katrina - I pray it isn't that bad.   

The track looks like it might go over Atlanta, too, on it's journey up North.  I sure hope Cynthia is home in time AND she does not need her sump pump this time.

I've got smoky skies again here in Utah.  Another day to not be productive outside.  

On 8/27/2021 at 12:31 PM, slidergirl said:

Purple - I find I have better "sealing" with the pleated masks I have when I had to wear them all afternoon/evening for work.  Outside of that, any of my masks work for short times.  It really is a "try it and see" effort for all of us to find what works best.  I have this feeling that we're going to be masking up again this Fall/Winter.  It won't bother me.  I kind of liked not having to worry about all that stuff that floats around in Winter.  

I tried shaped ones, but couldn't get any to fit my face and stay over my nose and chin. I wear pleated "antifog" at work. They have a plastic film that reduces (but doesn't always prevent) fogging. When I found the Athleta ones, I was pretty happy. They do OK in most situations, but I do have to tape the top edge to my nose and cheeks when I ice skate.

As tired as I am of masks, I don't have a problem with them. I just wish we could get this pandemic under control and then I could stop cringing at the way people aren't wearing them correctly.

• Like 1

Hi, we are back from Alaska -- we had such a wonderful cruise. There were only about 900 passengers onboard (that would a lot for Lois, lol), but this ship usually carries about 2200, so it was very uncrowded. Plenty of room in all areas of the ship and plenty of crew (around 750, so almost 1-for-1) to help. Our cabin was excellent and we really made use of the aft balcony, especially the first 2/3 of the trip. It got a bit rainy/gray the last couple of days.

The wonderful thing was how normal everything seemed. And how happy everyone was to be there, both passengers and staff/crew. Food was very good as well. At times we felt like we had our own personal waitstaff!  Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Anyway, it was a much-needed and long-awaited break for us. What we wish is that we had booked for two weeks. 🤣

Lois, glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise as well. And bon voyage to Sherri!!

Slidergirl, what a fabulous trip to look forward to. I have been thinking that I'd like to return to Provence and see the Roman ruins again. Arles was wonderful, and Orange, and the Maison Carree in Nimes (and of course the Pont du Gard...). So much to see and such great food/wine too!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I tried shaped ones, but couldn't get any to fit my face and stay over my nose and chin. I wear pleated "antifog" at work. They have a plastic film that reduces (but doesn't always prevent) fogging. When I found the Athleta ones, I was pretty happy. They do OK in most situations, but I do have to tape the top edge to my nose and cheeks when I ice skate.

As tired as I am of masks, I don't have a problem with them. I just wish we could get this pandemic under control and then I could stop cringing at the way people aren't wearing them correctly.

Purple - try one from Cotopaxi.  You can wear either side out.  And, the colors make me smile.  On sale now on their website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi, we are back from Alaska -- we had such a wonderful cruise. There were only about 900 passengers onboard (that would a lot for Lois, lol), but this ship usually carries about 2200, so it was very uncrowded. Plenty of room in all areas of the ship and plenty of crew (around 750, so almost 1-for-1) to help. Our cabin was excellent and we really made use of the aft balcony, especially the first 2/3 of the trip. It got a bit rainy/gray the last couple of days.

The wonderful thing was how normal everything seemed. And how happy everyone was to be there, both passengers and staff/crew. Food was very good as well. At times we felt like we had our own personal waitstaff!  Nothing was too much trouble for them.

Anyway, it was a much-needed and long-awaited break for us. What we wish is that we had booked for two weeks. 🤣

Slidergirl, what a fabulous trip to look forward to. I have been thinking that I'd like to return to Provence and see the Roman ruins again. Arles was wonderful, and Orange, and the Maison Carree in Nimes (and of course the Pont du Gard...). So much to see and such great food/wine too!

Welcome home!   I kept worrying about Ida's track and if Atlanta was going to get heavy rain.  I still remember you sump pump issues.  Nice to hear that you had some good days, good food, and good times!   

Where is your river cruise?  I forgot.  Isn't it one of the French ones?  Keep an eye on things, as I've seen on other travel sites rumors that the US may get shut out from EU and UK due to our uncontrolled COVID again.  I may pick your brain for some stuff once I firm up my "outside of the barge" things.   Right now there are 18 women signed up for the trip (barge holds 20).  Several of our excursions are centered around women-owned business and issues, which is a hallmark of this company.  The "cruise" finishes on a Saturday and my flight is out of CDG on Wednesday morning, so I have a few play days built in.  Tuesday night will definitely be at the Sheraton CDG because it's in the Air France/Delta terminal, it's home of the RER there, and my flight out is too early to want to get up and get a drive or a train out of Paris proper.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What ship were you on?  Melody

23 minutes ago, awhfy said:

What ship were you on?  Melody

Hi Melody -- it was the Celebrity Millennium. Ship was in great shape. Everything was super clean too -- I mostly tried to not use the public restrooms, but the few times I did there was always someone there who was constantly wiping everything down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Where is your river cruise?  I forgot.  Isn't it one of the French ones?  Keep an eye on things, as I've seen on other travel sites rumors that the US may get shut out from EU and UK due to our uncontrolled COVID again.  I may pick your brain for some stuff once I firm up my "outside of the barge" things.  

Mine is going to be only around the small area near Bourdeaux, but that's an area I've never spent time in before, so it's exciting. No Roman ruins but it does have a lot of history dating back to the time of Eleanor of Aquitaine (whose land it was). And of course, the wine.... 🍷🍷

The possibility of cancellation is always at the back of my mind. I booked my air through Viking as well as the cruise and if they cancel I get a full refund. I also can cancel on my own up to 14 days in advance. My hotel reservations in Rome and Paris are refundable. But I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. Some are saying there may be a new ruling early this week.

I did Provence a few years back on an excellent land tour, one of the best I ever did. The emphasis was on the Roman sites but we ate and drank well and stayed in really nice hotels (local, not chains). Happy to help with ideas if needed. Sounds great that your tour includes businesses owned by local women!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Mine is going to be only around the small area near Bourdeaux, but that's an area I've never spent time in before, so it's exciting. No Roman ruins but it does have a lot of history dating back to the time of Eleanor of Aquitaine (whose land it was). And of course, the wine.... 🍷🍷

The possibility of cancellation is always at the back of my mind. I booked my air through Viking as well as the cruise and if they cancel I get a full refund. I also can cancel on my own up to 14 days in advance. My hotel reservations in Rome and Paris are refundable. But I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. Some are saying there may be a new ruling early this week.

I did Provence a few years back on an excellent land tour, one of the best I ever did. The emphasis was on the Roman sites but we ate and drank well and stayed in really nice hotels (local, not chains). Happy to help with ideas if needed. Sounds great that your tour includes businesses owned by local women!

What hotel did you book for Paris?  I've only stayed at a nice place that my ex's company paid for, an AirBnB with friends and the Sheraton CDG.   Did you stay in Marseille?  Got to do that one night before I board.  

The company I booked with always tries to have a women-based spin on things.  We had our own female Egyptologist who traveled with is on the Nile and she explained Egyptian life for women, from the Kings and Queens to modern time.  Fascinating.  In Kenya, we visited quite a few women-based little businesses and some dinner talk with some Masai women and Samburu women.  

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Purple - try one from Cotopaxi.  You can wear either side out.  And, the colors make me smile.  On sale now on their website.

I have plenty for now, both Athleta and homemade cotton. I am happy with them.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

What hotel did you book for Paris?  I've only stayed at a nice place that my ex's company paid for, an AirBnB with friends and the Sheraton CDG.   Did you stay in Marseille?  Got to do that one night before I board.  

You know I tend to like a good, well-located three star hotel in Europe. In Paris I have stayed in Hotel Britannique a couple of times and really like it -- it is well located (in Chatelet, in the center) for walking anywhere in the axis of the Louvre, Marais, Notre Dame, and the popular left bank sites and eateries. It is also convenient for taking the RER to/from CDG. (Chatelet-Les Halles is just a couple blocks' walk from hotel.)

That said, I am staying at a different place this time. Hotel Britannique has more of a cozy winter vibe but no real outdoor space. I decided on this hotel in Saint-Germain-des-Près on the left bank, which looks nice (in fact it oozes character) and has a nice outdoor terrace for breakfast or just relaxing):   https://www.hoteldesmarronniers.com/en/

In Marseilles where our land tour started, we stayed in the Radisson Blu for two nights. Not really my favorite hotel but it was well located on the old port and a good jumping off point for our explorations.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Melody -- it was the Celebrity Millennium. Ship was in great shape. Everything was super clean too -- I mostly tried to not use the public restrooms, but the few times I did there was always someone there who was constantly wiping everything down.

That’s why we like Celebrity. Way before Covid there was always a restroom attendant that cleaned vigorously & opened the door for you

Hi girls, got home last night.......had a great time😃

Melody, you asked me where my next cruise is going........sailing out of Lisbon (hopefully) for 12 nights.......going to the Azores and Canary Islands!.......Never been to those places🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Cynthia, & welcome back 🙂   I leave in a little over 3 weeks...  curious, did you ever get off the ship?  Walk into towns, or do any excursions?  I"m trying to gauge expectations of what will/won't be available & open...  any tips would be appreciated, & I totally understand if you mostly relaxed on your balcony 🙂

-Debbie

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You know I tend to like a good, well-located three star hotel in Europe. In Paris I have stayed in Hotel Britannique a couple of times and really like it -- it is well located (in Chatelet, in the center) for walking anywhere in the axis of the Louvre, Marais, Notre Dame, and the popular left bank sites and eateries. It is also convenient for taking the RER to/from CDG. (Chatelet-Les Halles is just a couple blocks' walk from hotel.)

That said, I am staying at a different place this time. Hotel Britannique has more of a cozy winter vibe but no real outdoor space. I decided on this hotel in Saint-Germain-des-Près on the left bank, which looks nice (in fact it oozes character) and has a nice outdoor terrace for breakfast or just relaxing):   https://www.hoteldesmarronniers.com/en/

In Marseilles where our land tour started, we stayed in the Radisson Blu for two nights. Not really my favorite hotel but it was well located on the old port and a good jumping off point for our explorations.

Now that I'm divorced and semi-retired, I'm trying hard to learn to like 3* - my married life was a little different.  

The Desmarronniers is in a great location!  The single room looks a little sparse, but all you need is a bed and a bathroom!  My little foodie self definitely likes that location.  It's close to 2 places I want to try: L'Atlier de Joël Robuchon(try for lunch) and L'avant Comptoir de Mer.  The "window shopping" possibilities look pretty good too.  

The Britannique is indeed centrally located.  The AirBnB I had with friends was in the Marais, near the St. Paul Metro.  Easy access to everything.   Interesting meshing of the gay quarter and the Jewish quarter right there.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Melody, you asked me where my next cruise is going........sailing out of Lisbon (hopefully) for 12 nights.......going to the Azores and Canary Islands!.......Never been to those places🙂

Welcome back World Traveler!!!

So, when is that next cruise???   Man, you've broken out of COVID quarantine in a major way!!  

45 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Lois, welcome back!   I have the same questions for you as I did Cynthia...  were things open in towns?  I would love to do whale watching in ISP, but would rather not pre book, because a lot could change in 3 weeks...  

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi Cynthia, & welcome back 🙂   I leave in a little over 3 weeks...  curious, did you ever get off the ship?  Walk into towns, or do any excursions?  I"m trying to gauge expectations of what will/won't be available & open...  any tips would be appreciated, & I totally understand if you mostly relaxed on your balcony 🙂

-Debbie

Hi Debbie,

We did a short excursion in Ketchikan to see the totem poles, then briefly walked around town before going back to the ship. Things seemed to mostly be open in town but we were not really being shoppers, just looking for some "iconic" Ketchikan views for DS's photos.

We didn't do any "big" excursions (whale watching, helicopter, plane, etc.) -- we were a little spooked by the floatplane accident a couple of weeks ago, and we had done whale watching on our previous Alaska cruise -- DS not too interested in reprising it. I have to say that I didn't hear that there were a lot of wild life sightings. We only saw a single whale from the ship.

In Juneau we had kind of a gloomy day. We'd been thinking of doing the Mt Roberts tram but decided against it, the views would not be inspiring. Also, we were there on a Monday and I can confirm that the local walking tour and museum are not offered/closed on that day. 😢

Skagway we did the least. It was raining all day (showery to downright pouring). We just poked around the areas closest to port and found it a bit hit or miss -- it seemed to us that fewer stores were open there than elsewhere.

Hope that's helpful to you!

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Now that I'm divorced and semi-retired, I'm trying hard to learn to like 3* - my married life was a little different.  

The Desmarronniers is in a great location!  The single room looks a little sparse, but all you need is a bed and a bathroom!  My little foodie self definitely likes that location.  It's close to 2 places I want to try: L'Atlier de Joël Robuchon(try for lunch) and L'avant Comptoir de Mer.  The "window shopping" possibilities look pretty good too.  

The Britannique is indeed centrally located.  The AirBnB I had with friends was in the Marais, near the St. Paul Metro.  Easy access to everything.   Interesting meshing of the gay quarter and the Jewish quarter right there.  

I'll share my thoughts after my stay in late September -- assuming it's a go -- on the Des Marronniers rooms and location. 

If you're thinking of Robuchon, be sure to make your reservation well in advance and then follow the instructions to a T.  We had reserved there and we had to actually contact them AGAIN the day before to confirm that we were still coming. Even though we did that, they sent an email the morning of our reservation canceling it. They claimed they never got our confirmation email. :classic_dry:

• Like 1