P&Os new cancellation policy - shockingly bad

Mattsudds

On 3/19/2020 at 1:05 PM, molecrochip said:

No, they are just only dealing with cruises up to 11 April on that premise as legally they have to refund within 14 days.

On that basis, I would expect, assuming FCO guidance stays the same, that next Friday 27, we get further cancellations.

Logically, the reason for the change to the refund is because of the change in government approach to the virus.

The government approach originally was to drag it out to end of July with fewer people affected at anyone time. This has been abandoned. Now, we are likely to see the peak in 3-4 weeks which means by early/mid May, 95% of all cases should have arisen. 

Therefore I would expect cruises returning to normal by early June with maybe exceptions for Oceana’s fly cruise season and the need for Azura to undertake a postponed dry dock.

Dream on because there will be nowhere to cruise to as most ports will be closed and not allowing cruise ships to dock.

If we see a peak in the next two weeks as now expected then by the end of May our country should be heading in a lot better direction. That does not mean a perfect resumption of life and I would note my comments were made before China registered a few new cases. How much of a stage two outbreak will need to be seen. A week ago scientists (note: not media) perceived this as low but it’s varied over the week.

This country is trying very hard not to have an Italy style outbreak. Medical reports now indicate it was present a lot earlier than realised and essentially covered-up. This is why the Italy outbreak is so out of control. 

Compare New York and London and the steps taken here appear to currently be more successful.

Finally, if we are we’ll post peak in July, there will be a significant number of people in the U.K., who will have had it, no longer be carriers, and ready to resume their life as they won’t be at risk.

These people might like a holiday. The remaining question is likely to be which ports are open and that will depend on each country’s progression of the virus together with how much that economy needs your money.

Edited by molecrochip

I applied to P & O on 16 March to cancel my cruise this July on medical grounds and to get a refund of my deposit, balance due 10 April. I attached a letter from my Consultant clearly stating what my illness was. Yesterday rang P & O for an update and spoke to a lovely young man who said they were doing things in date order and had not yet got to applications submitted 16 March. 
Today I have received a cancellation invoice from P & O, totally didn’t expect this so quickly, just have to wait for the money to be refunded now. Anybody any idea how long this usually takes?

Michelle

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

An interesting article in today's Daily Mail gives lots of info about these ABTA "refund credit notes" or FCCs as P&O call them.

I am not sure whether P and O's "FCC's" and the refund credit notes ABTA refer to have the same terms and protections?

I believe they are different offers and entities.

Edited by Broadside

12 minutes ago, Broadside said:

I am not sure whether P and O's "FCC's" and the refund credit notes ABTA refer to have the same terms and protections?

I believe they are different offers and entities.

You may be right, but I suspect they are close relatives.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks - if FCCs can be redeemed for cash at the end of July,  which the article says, I could live with that as a compromise,  although I wouldn't be happy. 

I don't believe the article says that at all specifically about P and O's FCC - Please provide your source?

Very important that you don't spread fake news - please consider carefully and post responsibly at all times. 

22 minutes ago, Broadside said:

I don't believe the article says that at all specifically about P and O's FCC - Please provide your source?

Very important that you don't spread fake news - please consider carefully and post responsibly at all times. 

It depends how you interpret the article. ABTA are saying that if holiday credit notes are not used by the end of July, they can be converted into cash. P&O are members of ABTA, ergo they would (should) abide by ABTA rulings. 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

It depends how you interpret the article. ABTA are saying that if holiday credit notes are not used by the end of July, they can be converted into cash. P&O are members of ABTA, ergo they would (should) abide by ABTA rulings. 

I do not believe that is clear at all that " Protected Refund Credit Notes" have the same and equivalent terms and protections as P and O's  "FCC" for example -  P and O are offering 110 % / 125 % on their FCC's, they also started offering FCC's before ABTA made this annoucement. 

Edited by Broadside

8 minutes ago, Broadside said:

I do not believe that is clear at all that " Protected Refund Credit Notes" have the same and equivalent terms and protections as P and O's  "FCC" for example -  P and O are offering 110 % / 125 % on their FCC's, they also started offering FCC's before ABTA made this annoucement. 

Before the ABTA announcement they were offering FCC or refunds.  Now they are trying to offer FCC or a refund at some date in the future.

But, for once I agree with you that nothing is clear.

25 minutes ago, Broadside said:

My cruise booking is in accordance with the terms and conditions of booking.

Cancellations are covered in clause 40 and 41.

This includes a compensation entitlement based on the time period between P&O cancelling and the intended sail date.

ABTA have nothing to do with it, there roll is to act as an insurance.

They are in effect a third party.

They are not entitled or able to change the terms and conditions of my contract.

I will be holding P&O, as they would me, to strict conformity of the contract.

Which entitles me to a full refund of all monies paid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

My cruise booking is in accordance with the terms and conditions of booking.

Cancellations are covered in clause 40 and 41.

This includes a compensation entitlement based on the time period between P&O cancelling and the intended sail date.

ABTA have nothing to do with it, there roll is to act as an insurance.

They are in effect a third party.

They are not entitled or able to change the terms and conditions of my contract.

I will be holding P&O, as they would me, to strict conformity of the contract.

Which entitles me to a full refund of all monies paid.

How does that relate to whether protected refund credit notes are the same as P and O 's Future Cruise Credits? 

Edited by Broadside

2 minutes ago, Broadside said:

How does that relate to whether protected refund credit notes are the same as P and O 's Future Cruise Credits? 

Not part of the terms and conditions of my contract!

Do not intend to be led off contract.

We are living in unpresedentive times ( at least for me born in '53 ). How many of you can remember this level of curbs on your freedom of movement?

The world is going into shutdown, whole economies are going to be shattered, who knows how many people will die before this ends. We are up to 1019 deaths and our leaders think if we can keep it to 20,000 we will have done remarkedly well and that's just the UK.

Arguements about ABTA and terms and conditions of your P&O booking may become irrelevant and to me annoying,  I've little doubt they will be changed by legistration and be retrospective. I have/had bookings and can live with that. My primary concern is for my wife and I to stay safe, and hopefully, have holidays in the future, assuming there are any travel companies left. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mercury 7289

Well said and stick to contract

I am booked on Iona 8th June

I expect it to be cancelled - I cannot see it completing sea trials and all staff present and trained in time

I am assuming P&O will cancel and will expect my refund

1 hour ago, NoFlyGuy said:

We are living in unpresedentive times ( at least for me born in '53 ). How many of you can remember this level of curbs on your freedom of movement?

The world is going into shutdown, whole economies are going to be shattered, who knows how many people will die before this ends. We are up to 1019 deaths and our leaders think if we can keep it to 20,000 we will have done remarkedly well and that's just the UK.

Arguements about ABTA and terms and conditions of your P&O booking may become irrelevant and to me annoying,  I've little doubt they will be changed by legistration and be retrospective. I have/had bookings and can live with that. My primary concern is for my wife and I to stay safe, and hopefully, have holidays in the future, assuming there are any travel companies left. 

Well said. We, too, will feel blessed if we live to see the end of this. Life as we knew it has gone for the time being, perhaps forever.

I just hope that everyone realises that in the scale of things whether or not cruise ships get back to normal is insignificant. 

Just read a really interesting article which explains why social distancing is so important and how even one person in a family ‘cheating’ can have catastrophic effects on it being successful. It also  encourages us not to give up or get fed up with this isolation. It’s really, really important!

https://elemental.medium.com/hold-the-line-17231c48ff17

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT.  (Not sure if I’ve inserted this correctly, apologies if not)

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Well said. We, too, will feel blessed if we live to see the end of this. Life as we knew it has gone for the time being, perhaps forever.

I just hope that everyone realises that in the scale of things whether or not cruise ships get back to normal is insignificant. 

Just read a really interesting article which explains why social distancing is so important and how even one person in a family ‘cheating’ can have catastrophic effects on it being successful. It also  encourages us not to give up or get fed up with this isolation. It’s really, really important!

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT.  (Not sure if I’ve inserted this correctly, apologies if not)

Stay safe everyone.

That is well worth reading.

2 hours ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Agree wholeheartedly, but we humans have the capacity to multiwish

I wish all a safe voyage through this crisis, I also wish I get a cash refund from P&O for my August Cruise just like I just got from Celebrity for my June Cruise. Wish you all health and refunds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Stay safe everyone.

Everyone should read this.

1 hour ago, Les_ldh said:

Today I heard my cousin in London has COVID. Certainly makes it real.

Another interesting article below. Certainly helps explain how Diamond Princess passengers fared so badly. Hope this link works. It’s a real ‘must read.’

Stay safe. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8162697/Social-distancing-EIGHT-metres-avoid-coronavirus-risk.html

1 hour ago, Les_ldh said:

12 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Stay safe everyone.

I've just finished reading the article. I can now understand precisely what Boris and the gang were trying to say in a roundabout way. I'm an ordinary gal that understands plain speaking and this article is straight to the point and easy to understand . I agree with the others who have read this, PLEASE read it. I'm still very concerned about the situation we are in, but now I feel more hopeful and less afraid. Thank you ellie for the post.

Avril 

• Like 2

Back to the thread. The cancellations have now been extended into May. The refund policy remains that you CAN get a refund if P&O cancel your sailing. But if P&O don’t cancel, you can basically only have a future cruise credit. This applies to the over 70s and those forbidden to/ advised against cruising including those with underlying health conditions. The refund option is accessed through a web form which is called ‘request a refund’ but which is titled on the page ‘forfeit of 125% future cruise credit’. Apparently the web form is the only route, and the call centre will not deal with refunds. 

Comment: I think P&O are being fair here with refunds and encouraging people to take Future Cruise Credit instead, even if I don’t like them being so manipulative in their explanations. However for those over 70 or with underlying health conditions who are now advised against cruising, the new policy will is still going to result in them losing out unless the cruising restriction is lifted before the expiration of the future cruise credit (and of course assuming they still wish to travel). 

———————————————— Below from the P&O website ————————

If you are not sure whether you will use your enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit offer which has been automatically applied to your account, please remember you have until 30 November 2020 to request a refund.  By completing the form below, you will miss out on the offer of 125% Future Cruise Credit and will instead receive a 100% refund. Please note we are only able to process refund requests via this online form due to the unprecedented demand on our Customer Contact Centre and wider business, and that refunds may take up to 60 days to be processed.  In the meantime, please do not call us but rest assured we will be working through this process as quickly as we can.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mattsudds said:

Back to the thread. The cancellations have now been extended into May. The refund policy remains that you CAN get a refund if P&O cancel your sailing. But if P&O don’t cancel, you can basically only have a future cruise credit. This applies to the over 70s and those forbidden to/ advised against cruising including those with underlying health conditions. The refund option is accessed through a web form which is called ‘request a refund’ but which is titled on the page ‘forfeit of 125% future cruise credit’. Apparently the web form is the only route, and the call centre will not deal with refunds. 

Comment: I think P&O are being fair here with refunds and encouraging people to take Future Cruise Credit instead, even if I don’t like them being so manipulative in their explanations. However for those over 70 or with underlying health conditions who are now advised against cruising, the new policy will is still going to result in them losing out unless the cruising restriction is lifted before the expiration of the future cruise credit (and of course assuming they still wish to travel). 

———————————————— Below from the P&O website ————————

If you are not sure whether you will use your enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit offer which has been automatically applied to your account, please remember you have until 30 November 2020 to request a refund.  By completing the form below, you will miss out on the offer of 125% Future Cruise Credit and will instead receive a 100% refund. Please note we are only able to process refund requests via this online form due to the unprecedented demand on our Customer Contact Centre and wider business, and that refunds may take up to 60 days to be processed.  In the meantime, please do not call us but rest assured we will be working through this process as quickly as we can.

Sorry if this has already been answered, are FCC safe as in if the cruise line unfortunately went into administration will we still get  our money back.

If like me and have not booked through P&O but a Travel Agent do we complete the form on the P&O website or do we have to go through our travel agent?

5 minutes ago, tinkercat said:

like me and have not booked through P&O but a Travel Agent do we complete the form on the P&O website or do we have to go through our travel agent?

You have to make a claim using the online form from the P&O website. No need to contact your TA.