For those cruising later this year, what are you doing?

Well, currently I am working primarily from home due to everyone knows what. We planned a cruise in September, going to Caribbean again. If we are lucky, we might travel to Florida on a cruise from New Your city and have some leisure time there. Its hard to predict what to expect from our initially planned cruise. I hope no wars will break out or asteroids hit the Earth, but according to the recent news, by the summer situation must be taken under control  

We have Europe the end of may on the Anthem I figure its a no go . Serenade in Sept . Who knows and then we are on the Carnival Panorama on the Left coast on NYE hopefully by then then things are back to normal 🙂 

Reading all the posts on several threads,  I'm amazed at how many of you take multiple cruises each year and all of the experience on this forum. First Cruise I've booked in 20 years (and only my second cruise ever). We have Allure scheduled on July 5 out of Barcelona with my wife and teenage children. First trip to Europe ever, been putting it off for years, but we finally pulled the trigger last October. It will have to wait. Final payment due April 5, hoping to get full refund on deposit if policies change, but may have to take the FCC.  Thinking big picture, I believe so many industries are in for major, unknown fundamental and structural change. I hope I'm wrong. As it relates to Cruising, everything from air travel to destination cities/economy to safety, financial implications is a huge question mark. The entire landscape could look VERY different over the next couple of years. It's impossible to know, but any expectations of normalcy returning soon could be a fantasy.  I would gladly pay $30k for my $10k cruise I have booked, just to be back to life last October. Unfortunately,  we have a new reality and lots of unknowns. No doubt, some cruise lines will go under. Priorities are in for a major reshuffling. Keeping the Faith but preparing for anything!

Edited by MaybeOneDay
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Reading all the posts on several threads,  I'm amazed at how many of you take multiple cruises each year and all of the experience on this forum. First Cruise I've booked in 20 years (and only my second cruise ever). We have Allure scheduled on July 5 out of Barcelona with my wife and teenage children. First trip to Europe ever, been putting it off for years, but we finally pulled the trigger last October. It will have to wait. Final payment due April 5, hoping to get full refund on deposit if policies change, but may have to take the FCC.  Thinking big picture, I believe so many industries are in for major, unknown fundamental and structural change. I hope I'm wrong. As it relates to Cruising, everything from air travel to destination cities/economy to safety, financial implications is a huge question mark. The entire landscape could look VERY different over the next couple of years. It's impossible to know, but any expectations of normalcy returning soon could be a fantasy.  I would gladly pay $30k for my $10k cruise I have booked, just to be back to life last October. Unfortunately,  we have a new reality and lots of unknowns. Priorities are in for a major reshuffling. Keeping the Faith but preparing for anything!

Nice first post and Welcome to CruiseCritic, best reality post I have read on here in a long time.

• Like 2

Indy July 16; I so want to go but honestly am not optimistic it will happen. Besides, taking my grandkids and even if it’s a go, not sure their parents will be ok with it anymore. First Med cruise in Nov; timing is great but with 3 stops in Italy, not going to happen.

I expect that things will settle down by November

I see April and May cruises at that $500 price, but into summer they are keeping the prices high. I check Alaska for July, when it should be open and the prices were ridicilious.  My guess is they anticipate everyone using their FCC for those. If they keep kids out of school and they start having cruises again I'll do a cruise in June to use my FCC, though I may stay closer to home and do one out of Galveston or Florida instead of over seas like my cancelled one was.  I plan to help the economy by vacationing as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Like 1

MaybeOneDay, the money for our deposit was refunded to credit card in a few days.  We booked a Royal Caribbean cruise through a travel agent and was looking forward to cruising to Alaska in June with our adult children and their spouses.  There were two many unknowns and unfortunately the day of last payment was the day Royal changed to 48 hours cancellation.   I also am amzed at the number of cruises some make in one year but hope someday that will be us.  We try to cruise twice a year since the kids are on their own.  We have a Canadian cruise in Octoboer and trying to figure out another one for late summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not for an O class ship in the med at the height of the season for 4 people which may include flights.

Agreed..............Alaska Cruises with even a DIY Tour or Cruiseline Tour Pre  or Post  and with Airfare and Excursions can easily cost $10,000 for only 2 people? Guess the previous poster don't cruise much.

Edited by Jimbo

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Do people actually watch tv and the news lately.............nobody cruising in June or July?

My cruise is booked for June and according to Royal Caribbean, it’s still gonna sail (I don’t actually think it will but so far they not only haven’t cancelled it but they have increased the price by 50%). 

In fact they’ve been sending me emails all week asking me to check in for it, and to pay the final payment which is due next week. I’ll probably cancel it unless they change the final payment date. 

Background details on my 10k figure above as there is interest. 2 balcony rooms mid ship, one exterior, one central park right across from each other, three doors down from elevator.  Night before cruise and night after at Casa Fuster Barcelona. Excursions confirmed for Florence, Rome and Amalfi Coast. Airfare. Miscellaneous expenses.  Cruise cost was $5400.  Dialing in these numbers now, probably looking at $15-16k on my napkin calculation all in, money that won't be going to support the travel economy. Incidentally, I just ordered a portable popup outhouse ($89 on Amazon) to augment my camping supplies. We'll plan to do some remote camping in the landcruiser this summer. Fun, but not a European vacation!

Edited by MaybeOneDay
  • Like 3

My wife and I have decided that we will not be cruising for several years, based on what has already happened and what the medical professionals are saying could happen with the SARS-COV-2 virus over the next few years.  I am over 60 now and have a couple of conditions that put me at additional risk.  The thought of climbing onto a crowded ship or into a long metal tube packed with people in seats at 21” pitch is not my idea of a good time.  We will take car trips next year to all the amazing sites we have not yet covered in the southeast US and have relaxing, stress-free vacations.  Not saying anyone else should have this opinion, it is just how we feel right now.

We have already mentally written off the cost of our NCL Haven Cruise Next certificate we put down for a Rome Med cruise in September 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I am still deciding on my Symphony, August 22, 2020, final payment is middle of May.

I wonder to cancel at final payment and get a refund for the deposit?

My deposit is with a refundable Open Booking voucher for $100 and $200 on a credit card.

If I ask for a refund at final payment mid May, will my Open Booking voucher go back to a refundable Open Booking Voucher?

Will my $200 be refunded on my credit card or a FCC?

Decisions,  decisions?