For those cruising later this year, what are you doing?

B2B 3 day and 4 day on Voyager at the end of May out of Singapore to Malaysia and Thailand.  It is (was) to celebrate my son's HS graduation.  Pretty sure none of them are happening at this point.  Got an insane deal months ago on a Grand Suite the likes of which we'll never see again.  Singapore Airlines has already cancelled our flights.  Might try to rebook over winter break when he comes home from college, but he's lost the chance to do all those things you do at the end of your senior year.  

3 hours ago, Ron Don said:

We are also on this same cruise and are very nervous about the potential outcome of the cruise.  We have made final payment on the airfare but only the deposit on the cruise.  I wish I had a crystal ball to look into that gave me a better feeling.  

We also were planning to spend a week before the cruise in Rome and some time after in Lake Como/Venice.  Wish I had a better feeling.

Sounds a lot like our itinerary.  4 Days in Rome, 9 day cruise, 4 days in Florence/Tuscany, 2 days in Lake Como, 2 days in Venice.  Would have been a nice 3 weeks but I'm setting my expectations low.  Maybe next year. ☹️

On 3/19/2020 at 12:19 PM, Sobro said:

We're not canceling our May 11, 2020 nor our January 9, 2021 cruises. I'm just bummed the price hasn't dropped for Jan 9.

My guess is that prices won't budge and might go up for cruises later in the year.  They probably figure demand will be high and they need the revenue.

6 hours ago, time4u2go said:

China slowed it by imposing severe enforced lockdowns, which are not being done in the U. S. (yet).  I have a feeling it will take quite a bit longer for it to run its course in the U. S.  I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with your points.  

Yet amazingly enough there are still some out there on social media that believe nothing will come from this and have little death effects on America. I’ve given up trying to educate these people. Just a flu bug blah blah etc....  They totally ignore all other effects such as health care, economic etc...

They are COV-IDIOTS. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

We are on Ovation Sept 4 and the only way we will miss that is if they cancel.  We are thinking it is far enough away that we will be able to cruise.

I am booked on this cruise as well and hope to see you on it - ppl just need to STAY THE F HOME! the sooner this happens the sooner the spread will slow down and we can get back to whatever normal there will be after this.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yet amazingly enough there are still some out there on social media that believe nothing will come from this and have little death effects on America. I’ve given up trying to educate these people. Just a flu bug blah blah etc....  They totally ignore all other effects such as health care, economic etc...

They are COV-IDIOTS. 

I so agree with you!

US needs to shut everything down NOW!

COV-IDIOTS!

• Like 1

We have canceled out May and June cruises to Canada & New England dur to the Canadian ports being closed until, at least, July 1.  We still have cruises booked for July (on Oasis), August (grandeur) & September (Empress).  We eagerly await RCCL's decisions as the Summer approaches.  Also the Sept cruise is all Canada so we await the border crossing info and the Canada cruise port status after July 1.

The changes to way of life here in NY are hard to keep up with.  

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

They are COV-IDIOTS. 

Wow, well said.  The issue isnt covid itself, its how quickly we can get it over with.  We drag this thing out too long and unemployment does jump to 20%.  It hasnt been that high since the 1930s and that didnt look fun.

And before everyone jumps on me for making up the 20% quote, here is Mnuchin's quote.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mnuchin-warns-of-20-jobless-rate-if-government-doesnt-take-action-report-2020-03-17

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 11:25 AM, Thisguylikestocruise said:

We have Harmony booked December 6, leaving from FL.  How confident is everyone booked for cruises late 2020/early 2021?  I have until September 5th to cancel with full refund.  So plenty of time to decide.  I’d prefer to stay booked and proceed with the cruise.  I’m just uncertain, if things get worse or RCL goes bankrupt and I don’t get my deposit back.  

We're sailing Radiance at the end of August and intend to sail unless Carnival cancels. We're hoping the ship yard delay doesn't impact our sailing. If for some reason the cruise is cancelled we will try to find another cruise sailing at the same time.

We are waiting till last minute before final payment, take the $$ refund, loose deposit.

This pandemic is going to be around for a long time. Sure, we will get a handle on it, contain it and minimize the spread. But there are so many countries involved. Until there is a treatment to cure, and a vaccine to protect., travel to and from countries will be restricted and hot spots will continue to flare up.

They are saying 30-90 days, but that is for life to start getting back to normal. But they are also saying we won't get through this for 18 months to a year.

I'll make my final decision a day or 2 before final payment.

We have a suite booked, so to cancel means I will get 5K back, lose a $500 deposit. 

Edited by B-52
  • Like 1

I am reading all the threads about how the cruise industry will never be the same...we are the ones to keep it going....I have been cruising for 40+ years....the industry has been through a lot.  We need to use our fcc and book our cruises now to show our support for the industry...now more then ever the industry needs the support of cruisers.  None of this was their fault....maybe they handled it wrong but the industry has never had a situation like this....we have used our credit..rebooked and planning to renew our love of cruising. 

15 hours ago, cheeriomom said:

October 6th Explorer, keeping everything crossed! 

6 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Us too.  I’m fairly comfortable that we’ll still sail.  

We're on the one before you.... Flights booked, hotel in Rome booked for pre- and post cruise.

"Everything" crossed too...

1 hour ago, B-52 said:

We are waiting till last minute before final payment, take the $$ refund, loose deposit.

That is my plan as well.  We are booked for October out of Rome with final payment due in July.  If there is still a lot of uncertainly we're prepared to just lose the deposit.  If there happens to be a travel advisory still in place for Italy we'll be able to file a claim with our credit card insurance.  

Indy July 16; I so want to go but honestly am not optimistic it will happen. Besides, taking my grandkids and even if it’s a go, not sure their parents will be ok with it anymore. First Med cruise in Nov; timing is great but with 3 stops in Italy, not going to happen.