Might my cruising days be over?

Markanddonna

There is a very reputable company in my area that does repairs in many different fields, i.e. plumbing, electrical, etc.  For decades, their memorable tag line at the end of their TV commercials is:  "It's always something".  

I think that is where many of us cruisers are finding ourselves.  "I'm a very senior citizen with medical issues.  Should I chance another cruise?"  "If Summer cruises resume this year, ought I do so?  Will the virus really be under control?"  "I'd really like to sail to Antarctica, but I keep hearing about the possible violent Drake Passage.  Should I book that cruise?"  And I could go on and on, if you understand what I am saying.  

Life is meant to be lived.  There will always "be something".  

Cruising, like anything else, is a choice.  I could choose to go to the grocery for a loaf of bread and be hit by a drunk driver and killed.  Or not.  

I repeat:  Life is meant to be lived.  There will always "be something".    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Cruising, like anything else, is a choice.  I could choose to go to the grocery for a loaf of bread and be hit by a drunk driver and killed.  Or not.  

Can I assume that you would agree that there are smart choices and (really) stupid choices?

1 hour ago, clo said:

Can I assume that you would agree that there are smart choices and (really) stupid choices?

Yes.  And, that is one reason that my desire to visit my relatives in Anchorage via taking a couple of cruises to/from that beautiful State is not going to happen this Summer.

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes.  And, that is one reason that my desire to visit my relatives in Anchorage via taking a couple of cruises to/from that beautiful State is not going to happen this Summer.

Not just another pretty face.

9 hours ago, clo said:

Well, Cruise Critic is likely not the right place to ask. I assume you've written HAL and haven't heard back yet. They might be a tad busy right now.

Wow, the snark in both of your replies to me. I do read several outlets of national and international news every day, including that about cruise lines, the status of ships and pax still at sea, as well as those whose passengers have disembarked, travel advisories, etc., so yes, I am aware.  

I would not dream of trying to contact HAL;  as Orlando Ashford has said, the current policies are temporary.  I do have a message in to my TA, marked "not urgent" because I have until Dec 31st to sort out rebooking with HAL, and 11 months untili my next booked cruise.

I do read this website's forums for information. Others--including travel agents and ships' crews & staff--who post here often have professional insights/inside scoop/personal experiences to share. Isn't that why you are here as well?  I have found a great deal of useful information on the CC forums, both over the years and as recently as today. In fact, I have actually  learned some things on this very thread. 

I suppose we all respond differently to the uncertainty and stress of the local and world situation. Take care of yourself and stay healthy. 

• Like 2

I also have to make a smart choice.
For my 2 Costa Singapore round trip Cruises in March and April 2021, (which costa only cancelled one year in advance), I am getting a 30% discount on any future Cruise up to 30th November 2020 and 10% discount on any Cruise from 1 December 2020, if I transfer my deposits of the 2 cancelled Cruises.

I have to Inform them by 15th of April so I am waiting to see how things progress.

What do you think I should do

We were in a position last year when we had to walk away from a guided air and land tour to China.  Well before the virus issue.  

It was our first ever guided tour.  We booked, paid the entire amount, and were anxiously awaiting our departure date.   In the interim DW had what turned out  to be a nuero issue requiring surgery.  This was not known at the time we cancelled.  The advice we got was you can go but it is not advisable.  Neither the air journey is advisable or the tour itself should anything happen.  

It was not a  difficult decision. We walked away from the tour, and from our payment.   There were two golden linings.  A month later we decided to check our premium credit card benefits.   Cancellation insurance was one of those benefits.  We submitted our claim, not expecting a dime, and had a full refund ten business days later.  Thanks Aspire MC.   And DW did in fact require that operation and in quick march time.  It was successful.

The thing is that foregoing those monies was our very last concern.  I cannot imagine anyone placing the loss of a tour, an airline, or a cruise fare ahead of common sense or a medical threat.  Simply makes no sense to us.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Simply makes no sense to us.

There was a recent comment somewhere about teens who are missing out on some end of high school activities and they simply must go on a cruise asap. I figuratively bit my fingers to keep from replying how I wanted to.

21 hours ago, clo said:

There was a recent comment somewhere about teens who are missing out on some end of high school activities and they simply must go on a cruise asap. I figuratively bit my fingers to keep from replying how I wanted to.

I did not read that poster's comment.  I do disagree with such a thought.  One has one chance to participate in a Junior-Senior Prom during High School.  One has one chance to have a normal high school commencement ceremony.  

Because of this pandemic emergency, I  truly regret what the Seniors of High Schools and Colleges are experiencing who are about to graduate.  Their ceremonies are called "commencements".  What are these young people going to face as they "commence" into their lives?

This virus is cruel on many levels.    

• Like 2

People need to get a grip on what is really important.   They can start with their health and well being.

They should be thankful that they are not lying in a hospital on a ventilator.  Or stuck on some cruise ship floating about trying to find a port that will accept them.

Far too many entitled people about.  They all seem to blame others for their misfortune.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I did not read that poster's comment.  I do disagree with such a thought.  One has one chance to participate in a Junior-Senior Prom during High School.  One has one chance to have a normal high school commencement ceremony.  

Because of this pandemic emergency, I  truly regret what the Seniors of High Schools and Colleges are experiencing who are about to graduate.  Their ceremonies are called "commencements".  What are these young people going to face as they "commence" into their lives?

When I think about the "important events in my life", my commencements from high school, and then with a BA and MA rank as the least important. I will always have the piece of paper and the documentation that I graduated, but that's about it.  I'm sure the families and communities will find unique ways to celebrate and when you think about it, the graduates of 2020 will be a very distinct bunch. 

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I'm sure the families and communities will find unique ways to celebrate and when you think about it, the graduates of 2020 will be a very distinct bunch. 

You are correct, I believe. This year's Reunion Classes are impacted as well.  My Ohio Wesleyan Class was to celebrate our 55th Reunion Reunion in May.  That's been postponed until May, 2021 when we will celebrate our Reunion with friends in the Class of 1966.  Our Alumni Office is considering still trying to do something "special", maybe virtually, at some point on what would be our Reunion Week-end.

And, when the 2020 graduates gather for their Reunions, think of the stories that will be swapped as to "what did you do on the day we were to graduate".  

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Univ. of NV Reno has offered a couple of options: a virtual commencement or a real one either year end or the spring.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, rkacruiser said:

You are correct, I believe. This year's Reunion Classes are impacted as well.  My Ohio Wesleyan Class was to celebrate our 55th Reunion Reunion in May.  That's been postponed until May, 2021 when we will celebrate our Reunion with friends in the Class of 1966.  Our Alumni Office is considering still trying to do something "special", maybe virtually, at some point on what would be our Reunion Week-end.

And, when the 2020 graduates gather for their Reunions, think of the stories that will be swapped as to "what did you do on the day we were to graduate".  

I went to a HS reunion right after 9/11. Everyone was talking about where they were that day.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, rkacruiser said:

My college reunion has also been postponed to May 2021 .

(I casually knew somebody who graduated Ohio Wesleyan in 1965 .He was on the basketball team and played in the NBA)

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My college reunion has also been postponed to May 2021 .

(I casually knew somebody who graduated Ohio Wesleyan in 1965 .He was on the basketball team and played in the NBA)

His initials are BC?  If so, both of us majors that allowed us to be in several of the same classes.  Great guy and a good basketball player!