Might my cruising days be over?

Markanddonna

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

I'm not so sure demand will be "super high."  People have been watching these HAL. MSC, and Princess cruises turned away from ports and sailing around with sick passengers.  I have a feeling it will take many years for cruising to recover.

And I'm one anyway who hasn't been real pleased how the various lines have handled this both during and after. It will likely affect my future 'buying decisions.'

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

we are well advanced to fix the situation. So just based on that I predict that everything will be alright in 5 to 7 weeks 

Would you be so kind as to post your science credentials that support your prediction?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As a retired science educator with a Zoology major, the ability of this virus to survive outside of its host for as long as it does interests me very much.  Only had one microbiology course and I don't recall much about viruses in that course.

Doing some searching on the internet has been interesting.  I'd suggest, if so interested, others ought to do the same.  

I hope you share if you find anything. I was also surprised by that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As a retired science educator with a Zoology major, the ability of this virus to survive outside of its host for as long as it does interests me very much.  Only had one microbiology course and I don't recall much about viruses in that course.

Doing some searching on the internet has been interesting.  I'd suggest, if so interested, others ought to do the same.  

Well, it looks true. Here's a quote to be followed by the link:

"SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020)."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_w

21 minutes ago, clo said:

Well, it looks true. Here's a quote to be followed by the link:

"SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020)."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_w

Thank you for your research.  Good information.  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you for your research.  Good information.  

LOL.  I suck at lots of stuff but Google really is my friend 🙂 It's good info for all of us, not just travelers. PS: In my youth I worked in parasitology at CDC so really like digging into this kinda stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

I worked in parasitology at CDC

Ah, a branch of Zoology that I wished I could have studied! My introductory Zoo classes included parasitology.  I tried to include in my students' lessons what I learned; usually, my students found this subject interesting.  My University had an excellent professor teaching in this area.  My interest, at that time, was in a different area and never had a chance to experience his classes.

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Ah, a branch of Zoology that I wished I could have studied! My introductory Zoo classes included parasitology.  I tried to include in my students' lessons what I learned; usually, my students found this subject interesting.  My University had an excellent professor teaching in this area.  My interest, at that time, was in a different area and never had a chance to experience his classes.

I tested for toxoplasmosis, a blood parasite, but a prerequisite for their in-house class was the intestinal parasite course. Probably a lot more interesting but kinda poopy 🙂

I follow the worldometers website. It is fascinating to see that the US is really doing so much better than many first world countries if you look at the last two columns on the right. Second and third world countries are likely much worse than reported. 

USA just added nearly 10000 new cases in just 1 day ( today)

The task force said we are testing more people than any other country.  If you look at the deaths, it is probably obvious that these countries have many more cases but don't have the resources to test their people.  Does anyone think Russia has just one death?

The task force said we are testing more people than any other country.  If you look at the deaths, it is probably obvious that these countries have many more cases but don't have the resources to test their people.  Does anyone think Russia has just one death?

I read an article saying that Russia has had a large increase in pneumonia cases and deaths. If that is true the reasons would be obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 3/24/2020 at 4:31 AM, Markanddonna said:

The CDC just discovered the coronavirus survived  for 17 days on surfaces on the two infected Princess cruise ships. This doesn't bode well for future cruise travel. Once again, it will be a long time before we will be On a cruise ship.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Survived, yes. But they haven't shown whether it could still infect someone.

A good explanation of my response above is posted here:

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 11:07 AM, welovetahiti said:

. . .  and it's doubtful any doctor will sign this type of note.

Sorry, not intending to pick on you.  I see this statement made frequently here on CC.  However, there have been several people reporting that their Doc's did in fact sign off.  Of course, someone not in good health shouldn't expect approval from their doctor.   

10 hours ago, drsel said:

But I still feel that by September the Cruises will resume and we will be able to Cruise

Is that "feel" more related to your emotions of wanting it than that anything significant will have changed?

I'm pretty upset that after we have had to cancel next month's cruise (HAL, Sea of Cortez), Celebrity has now offically said no one over 70 and no one with health conditions, incl diabetes, without a doctor's note.  I'm 65,  have both heart stuff and diabetes. And have finally reached the good-bennies categories on both cruise lines. 

Wondering what will happen with our South Pacific cruise in February on Celebrity; none of my ethical docs would write me a note, I bet.

Plus, though we took to FCC on the HAL cancellation, will I ever be able to use it if they won't let me cruise? Or will they refund the $$?

HAL's entire demographic is elderly, and they are nowhere near cultivating a millennials culture among their cruisers. But every single person I know 70 & above has diabetes/heart/COPD/kidney/Parkinson's, or SOMETHING.

Edited by sofietucker

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

I'm pretty upset that after we have had to cancel next month's cruise (HAL, Sea of Cortez), Celebrity has now offically said no one over 70 and no one with health conditions, incl diabetes, without a doctor's note.  I'm 65,  have both heart stuff and diabetes. And have finally reached the good-bennies categories on both cruise lines. 

Wondering what will happen with our South Pacific cruise in February on Celebrity; none of my ethical docs would write me a note, I bet.

Plus, though we took to FCC on the HAL cancellation, will I ever be able to use it if they won't let me cruise? Or will they refund the $$?

HAL's entire demographic is elderly, and they are nowhere near cultivating a millennials culture among their cruisers. But every single person I know 70 & above has diabetes/heart/COPD/kidney/Parkinson's, or SOMETHING.

I'm over 70, but do not have SOMETHING. I guess I have good genes. My parents lived to 101 and 98, and only died after falling. You just cannot fall and break bones at those ages, though my father did survive breaking his hip at just short of 99. We were actually told one time when on the way up in the elevator to see him in the ICU that the note to the doctor said he was expected to die that night. 

But, I do agree that HAL with this policy will kill itself off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

I guess you've seen that there are now four dead on a HAL ship, others tested positive, etc.

15 minutes ago, clo said:

I guess you've seen that there are now four dead on a HAL ship, others tested positive, etc.

yep... Not my point. I want to know if I will get my cash back from cancelled cruise for which I was only given FCC and apparently I may now be barred from future cruising, making my FCC moot.

5 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

yep... Not my point. I want to know if I will get my cash back from cancelled cruise for which I was only given FCC and apparently I may now be barred from future cruising, making my FCC moot.

Well, Cruise Critic is likely not the right place to ask. I assume you've written HAL and haven't heard back yet. They might be a tad busy right now.