P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

25 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'vealways been interested in all things to do with aviation.

Me too. And my interest obviously rubbed off on our younger son who studied aeronautical engineering and is now a pilot!

Edited by Astrajet
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'vealways been interested in all things to do with aviation.

In the light of your comments, I thought I’d confirm that you were spot on with your assessment of our flight from TPA-LGW.  It was a very bouncy journey and we arrived early 😁

Glad you got back safely.  We've taken that flight quite a few times. Even bumped into Simon Calder in TPA !

• Like 2

Today we booked an AirBnB for 4 nights in May near Wells, Cheddar Gorge and Wookey Hole in Somerset. Its an area that I haven't visited since I was about 7yo and my wife and son have never been there.

We are at the Badminton Horse Trials before and thought that while we are down that way might as well explore an area of interest to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We are at the Badminton Horse Trials before and thought that while we are down that way might as well explore an area of interest to us.

Several members on here have been discussing jury service. At the sheepdog trials, that border collie looked guilty to me 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

No, nothing of the sort. 

However,  I had a job that involved quite a lot of air travel,  and I've always been interested in all things to do with aviation.

Flying isn't my idea of fun.  Son has a PPL but I've never been up with him - I fly if I absolutely, positively can't get to where I want to go any other way!

Busy day for us booking things today. After booking our AirBnB in Somerset for May we have transferred a booking to a Queen Victoria Canaries cruise in Nov/Dec 2023. I think it is reasonably priced for the 12 day cruise in the current FCC and transferring climate.

Apl 2023 to Jan 2024 Cunard cruises were available to book from today for World Club members and available to all from tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Apl 2023 to Jan 2024 Cunard cruises were available to book from today for World Club members and available to all from tomorrow.

We got notification earlier that we got our Japan and Alaska cruise for 2023 so well happy.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We got notification earlier that we got our Japan and Alaska cruise for 2023 so well happy.

We did that cruise on QE in May/June 2019, really interesting and varied cruise destinations. It's weird crossing the international date line and having two days with the same date.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kalos said:

@Adawn47 congrat's to you and Frank on your anniversary:classic_love:

Yesterday I was watching a live feed from Heathrow in the windy weather, watching 

a few planes land .The one I've posted maybe Avril's Frank should cover his eyes for

this one :classic_ohmy: Even the guy filming was a tad worried ,lets hope these winds sod off as 

they are no good to man nor beast .

This is probably going to get deleted, but basically in these circumstances,  this is what you do.  Simple really !

"Airbus FCTM does say for a crosswind landing: LATERAL AND DIRECTIONAL CONTROL

FINAL APPROACH

In crosswind conditions, a crabbed-approach wings-level should be flown with the aircraft (cockpit) positioned on the extended runway centerline until the flare.

FLARE

• The objectives of the lateral and directional control of the aircraft during the flare are:
  • To land on the centerline, and
  • to minimize the lateral loads on the main landing gear.
  • The recommended de-crab technique is to use all of the following:
  • The rudder to align the aircraft with the runway heading during the flare
  • The roll control, if needed, to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline. Any tendency to drift downwind should be counteracted by an appropriate lateral (roll) input on the sidestick.

In the case of strong crosswind, in the de-crab phase, the PF should be prepared to add small bank angle into the wind in order to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline. The aircraft may be landed with a partial de-crab (residual crab angle up to about 5 °) to prevent an excessive bank. This technique prevents wingtip/sharklet (or engine nacelle) strike caused by an excessive bank angle.

As a consequence, this may result in touching down with some bank angle into the wind (hence with the upwind landing gear first)."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning on this mild 10.c but that will soon change for the weekend ,back 

to cool weather . Here's a handy tip for car drivers :classic_unsure:

Take care and have a nice day :classic_love::classic_smile:

58202.jpg.9676b3cd449f9e454008a99658847fc4.jpg

• Haha 13

We decided that we needed to book a cruise this morning.  We are still not comfortable with going abroad because of DH's  health so we are going with Princess around Britain.  We have done this before but this time we go into Portland and Cork which are new ports for us.  It will be good to be on a ship again.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

A small gesture but at least an acknowledgment of what you do and all other volunteers have done to help. Thank you

Thank you. 

It is nice to have received it. 

The person who is responsible for our hub and 2 other local hubs has invited all of the volunteers out to a local asian restaurant, these gestures are thoughtful and make us feel appreciated.  I am sure that all of the volunteers feel, as I do, we don't do it for recognition but we hope that in our small way we are helping to stop people becoming seriously ill and to save lives. 

The real heros for me are the doctors and nurses who have worked over and above what they have ever done before.

• Like 13

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

This is probably going to get deleted, but basically in these circumstances,  this is what you do.  Simple really !

"Airbus FCTM does say for a crosswind landing: LATERAL AND DIRECTIONAL CONTROL

FINAL APPROACH

In crosswind conditions, a crabbed-approach wings-level should be flown with the aircraft (cockpit) positioned on the extended runway centerline until the flare.

FLARE

• The objectives of the lateral and directional control of the aircraft during the flare are:
  • To land on the centerline, and
  • to minimize the lateral loads on the main landing gear.
  • The recommended de-crab technique is to use all of the following:
  • The rudder to align the aircraft with the runway heading during the flare
  • The roll control, if needed, to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline. Any tendency to drift downwind should be counteracted by an appropriate lateral (roll) input on the sidestick.

In the case of strong crosswind, in the de-crab phase, the PF should be prepared to add small bank angle into the wind in order to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline. The aircraft may be landed with a partial de-crab (residual crab angle up to about 5 °) to prevent an excessive bank. This technique prevents wingtip/sharklet (or engine nacelle) strike caused by an excessive bank angle.

As a consequence, this may result in touching down with some bank angle into the wind (hence with the upwind landing gear first)."

Thank you for the information.

Wind Shear is the big worry.

Graham.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

this is what you do.  Simple really !

FINAL APPROACH

If all else fails ..Go around or squawk7600 :classic_wink:

59 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for the information.

Wind Shear is the big worry.

Graham.

I'd be more worried it did not land and stop where they said it would .:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

Good morning ,hope everyone's ok. :classic_smile:

As you can see I'm not good with radio's My first day taking flying lessons as a pilot.

Control tower: Can you give me your position?

Me: I am next to a cloud that looks like a lion.

Control tower: Can you be more specific?

Me: Simba :classic_unsure::classic_wink::classic_smile:

Have a nice day :classic_love:

• Haha 12