P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Well, we were planning to take a walk along the Trent, to the next village today,  for a lunchtime pint.

But then I realised that Harry would be along shortly to point out that 91.3% of those people who die when walking, are over 63 years old, so we are going to stay in and watch a repeat of Midsomer Murders instead ! Don't want to take any risks at our age.

Don't you remember the retired couple whose son ran the filling station in one of the Midsomers? Ghastly end it was. They were just sitting in the front room watched telly! Only answer is to switch over to Bergerac... John Nettles was usually able to have a less fatal ending in those days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Ah yes... we still remember the "good old days"...

I certainly do , that would be back in the days when I wasn't good or old .

The Good Old Days You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little

things like being spanked almost every other day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff some would

pay good money for in later life, I guess.

Lino , it was all over the place in our house, does anyone still use this stuff ? I remember it made great firelighters when we finally got rid of the stuff. It was on par with Izal toilet roll. No one liked that either and personally did prefer the News of the world . 

I'm surprised it never caught on and we had papers and magazines actually printed on loo rolls, but we have our mobiles we can read now. Toilet seats were freezing back then, used to hate being the first one of the day using it .

When we do decide to put our heating on it will be a push of a button , back in the day trying to get the coal fire going could be fun (Not) .Getting the draw tray on the go or down on your hands and knees puffing away trying to bring life to the fire. Eventually you would win but you would be left stinking of smoke and now waiting for the hot water to warm up.

But as everyone from that era will tell you it was better back then :classic_unsure:

Have a good day everyone and keep warm .:classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s a Friday special, available from 5pm till close.  Smaller than the normal £12.90 menu portion but plenty for an oldie!  I hate being presented with heaps of food, like slops in a pig trough

If that was the smaller portion, the larger portion must be enough to feed a family😲

Avril

45 minutes ago, kalos said:

It was on par with Izal toilet roll.

That stuff was dreadful, they had it at school and it would have been better employed as tracing paper.

There was one fire in the house and we would cosy up to it while getting dressed in the morning. 

When I was young I remember ice on the inside of windows and dripping condensation but my mum and dad were well ahead of their time. We got secondary double glazing over the original sash and cord windows before most people had even heard it double glazing.

People were more practical about the cold back in the day as it was a reality of life. During the day we wore vests and a liberty bodice under warm clothes and in the evening everyone had fluffy pyjamas, heavy housecoats and warm slippers.

Central heating with warmth and hot water at the touch of a button is a great invention.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

People were more practical about the cold back in the day as it was a reality of life. During the day we wore vests and a liberty bodice under warm clothes and in the evening everyone had fluffy pyjamas, heavy housecoats and warm slippers.

That  paragraph bought a smile to my face.

I have very fond memories of the liberty bodice and it's sticky rubber buttons😬.

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

The good old days.

Made men, and women of us. Getting up at 4.30am for early shift, wash and shave in temperatures just above freezing, but we got on with it.

Not a lot of choice though, was there. And yet people still go on about the ‘good old days’.

At least house prices were a lot more affordable though.

• Like 4

I remember the liberty bodice had the buttons to fasten suspenders on, so if you had to wear stockings to school to hitch them up when they got loose you raised your shoulders!  My little brother called it his litty bodice, so it was always known thus.  I have to say it will make life easier for us oldies if we do suffer power cuts and feeling cold, having been brought up to cope.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I’ve just got back from Stoke after getting the car dealership to diagnose my faulty key fob. They changed the batteries during its service 3 weeks ago which is why I ruled out low battery level but apparently they had a “bad batch” of batteries ! So batteries changed again diagnostics done on the car and hopefully will be ok now. I don’t know what they mean by bad batch of batteries, not sufficient output maybe?

It's possible it could have been someone else's old battery, something you never get if you put new batteries in yourself.

Remembering the 'good old days' I clearly remember the frost ferns on the inside of my bedroom window and snuggling back under the heavy blankets topped with coats, and the cold lino under my feet when I got out of bed. The worst for me though was the outside toilet.  Dad always hung a Tilley lamp on the cistern to stop the water freezing up. It usually worked....... but sometimes it didn't🥴

The height of luxury for me was when we finally had a bathroom. The frost ferns and cold lino was part of winter, but to be able to flush a toilet without the risk of a cold shower was pure heaven. 

I think experiencing what we did then, makes us all appreciate what we have now, and to not take things for granted.

Or to use the Yorkshire expression 'Eeh lad, tha' dun't know tha' born'😁

Avril

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not a lot of choice though, was there. And yet people still go on about the ‘good old days’.

No, we had to get on with it.

Modern technology is great and we take it for granted we will be warm in the winter and well fed. However, being brought up on a council estate in the 50's, we could walk around safe without the fear of meeting gangs carrying knives, and drug dealers on every corner.

Is that progress ?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Yorkshire expression 'Eeh lad, tha' dun't know tha' born'😁

Yep we had some stupid sayings from far and wide, not just Yorkshire.😊

"Come here and I'll give you a pasting the you'll wish you had never been born !"

Memories weren't all  that good either.. "What have I just told you" or even ...

"Who do you think you are ? "  We didn't need travel agents back then as we were 

told .."They will knock us into the middle of next week"😙

We were very clean though as we were told to "Wipe that smile off your face" and 

"what's with the dirty look ? " The list goes on but we all knew what they meant .😊

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

without the fear of meeting gangs carrying knives, and drug dealers on every corner.

That's true.  I used to stand at the bus stop  in Rye Lane, Peckham and get the last bus home.  I wasn't frightened.

I think that although we had those ghastly gangs, especially the K's and the R's,  they would never ever rob a granny or an innocent..  That is quite a difference now.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

That's true.  I used to stand at the bus stop  in Rye Lane, Peckham and get the last bus home.  I wasn't frightened.

I think that although we had those ghastly gangs, especially the K's and the R's,  they would never ever rob a granny or an innocent..  That is quite a difference now.

So true, there was some real hard men around our estate but they didn't bother kids or women, there was a code even amongst thieves. Anything goes these days.

• Like 4

I could go down town go around the pubs and at chucking out time I would sup up and 

simply make my own way home .We didn't need 20 police and bouncers and riot vans to

make sure we did go home .

You could not pay me to go down town at night these days let alone use the pubs .

So sad how things have turned out .😐

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

So true, there was some real hard men around our estate but they didn't bother kids or women, there was a code even amongst thieves. Anything goes these days.

Unfortunately, drugs have changed everything. Very few people back then were physically dependent on much more than cigarettes, alcohol and Maynards wine gums, and none of those usually involved criminals.

Criminal gangs have taken over now, there aren’t enough police, and they’re out of control. Time for some form of legalisation, as with cigarettes and alcohol, to get it out of the hands of criminals. Also some potential for tax raising to ease the burdens elsewhere.

• Like 1

Morning everyone(just), been busy this morning, starting to tidy the garden ready for Winter. I can only do bits but I do try help my hubby if I can. Having to rest now because my back is aching.

Loved reading your comments about the ice on insides of windows, fluffy dressing gowns etc. My Gran still had an outside toilet when she died in 1986!!

It’s my daughter’s hen night tonight(she has already had a weekend away), going to Fazenda in Leeds. I will try remember to take some food photos!!

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

Michelle

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Unfortunately, drugs have changed everything. Very few people back then were physically dependent on much more than cigarettes, alcohol and Maynards wine gums, and none of those usually involved criminals.

Criminal gangs have taken over now, there aren’t enough police, and they’re out of control. Time for some form of legalisation, as with cigarettes and alcohol, to get it out of the hands of criminals. Also some potential for tax raising to ease the burdens elsewhere.

Don't want to get too deep into todays problems but I believe most of the problems are caused by lack of discipline which should start in the home. As kids we wouldn't dream of answering back any adult, never mind our parents. This has lead to a lack of respect for any authority, teachers, police etc. 

I'll stop there.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep we had some stupid sayings from far and wide, not just Yorkshire.😊

"Come here and I'll give you a pasting the you'll wish you had never been born !"

Memories weren't all  that good either.. "What have I just told you" or even ...

"Who do you think you are ? "  We didn't need travel agents back then as we were 

told .."They will knock us into the middle of next week"😙

We were very clean though as we were told to "Wipe that smile off your face" and 

"what's with the dirty look ? " The list goes on but we all knew what they meant .😊

'Well, I'll go to the bottom of our stairs' is another. 

My mum had an odd saying too. When I'd ask what was for dinner she would always say 'a run round a chipped plate'  I've never heard anyone else say that. I wonder if it's a Southern saying🤔 

This thread really does bring back some old memories.😊

Avril

• Like 2

I remember the days before central heating well.  I also remember that when we bought our first house we didn't have central heating and going from my parents centrally heated home back to the only heating being a gas fire in the lounge was a real shock.

If we asked mum what was dinner she would say "whatever I can catch while you lot are at school".

Thinking about the " good old days " reminded me of when we first married, we bought our house in 1979 when interest rates were at 15%, they weren't so high for long but we had gotten used to paying it so continued the same payment to reduce the capital we owed which was a good move because when we moved to a bigger house in a nicer area 2 years later we had a lower monthly payment over a shorter term.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

LOL,when I used to install heating in private houses I loved reading the mint condition local and national papers under the lino.Some dating back to the 30s.Million pound houses for just a few thousand quid or even hundreds.A brand new car for the price of a mobile phone now.

• Like 2

Just now, brian1 said:

LOL,when I used to install heating in private houses I loved reading the mint condition local and national papers under the lino.Some dating back to the 30s.Million pound houses for just a few thousand quid or even hundreds.A brand new car for the price of a mobile phone now.

Bang on, Brian.

Brand new VW Beetle (bright orange) August 1973 £950. Had it for 16 years and still going strong.  Less than an iPhone now.

3 bed semi Bromley (Bromley, Kent then!) around the same time £14,000 - £600,000 now.

• Like 3