P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, happy v said:

I have just been out to buy a hat and gloves because we are in the cathedral tomorrow for granddaughter's school carol service and I am expecting it to be rather cold. The 'warmest' it got to today was -3.

%

I was quite wrapped up, but finished up taking my coat off as was warmer in there more than I expected, perhaps they didn’t wish to freeze the Lord Lieutenant & her husband. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I was quite wrapped up, but finished up taking my coat off as was warmer in there more than I expected, perhaps they didn’t wish to freeze the Lord Lieutenant & her husband. 

Well I think we will have the Bish. So heating probably on. In fairness it usually isn't too cold but I am going prepared

I'm glad you had a good night. I love a carol service 

Morning all.  -6C in my bit of Lancashire and I am channelling my inner 'bag lady'. DH laughed when he saw me. After having breakfast in my long cosy dressing gown before heading to my desktop computer, I added a thick cardigan on top, and some brown socks. All I need is a shopping trolley to complete the look.

On a serious note, I hope that everyone who is a rough sleeper is finding indoor accommodation in temperatures like this.

• Like 12

Good morning.

I've been curious about the whys and wherefores of the difference between the actual temperature and real feel, so I asked Professor Google. From what I can gather it's to do with the wind and humidity. I think🤔 Feel free to educate me😁 Anyhoo, the real feel temperature  is apparently the most accurate. So after all that boring stuff I've just spouted😄........... the teperature here at the moment isn't -2c it's -7c, and it feels like it too.

No prizes for guessing how bored I've been😂

Stay warm.

Avril

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Morning our weather is -2.c and sunny ,so still staying warm and cosy inside today again .

Our kitchen is 10.c  but not spending much time in there but our living room is a nice 21.c.

Our lad who is long distance lorry driver informs me he is up the top end of Scotland doing 

various deliveries and thinks it's T shirt and shorts driving weather  . That is providing  you 

keep the cab door and windows closed 😉

He sent us this photo  posted below .   Take care everyone .

truck.thumb.jpeg.913e4a8a8671500bd45097209036b4ec.jpeg

• Like 4

Those of us  who can without too much difficulty afford to be warm and eat pretty well, and have families in a similar position must count ourselves lucky - I certainly do.  I was looking at the breakfast programme the other morning, and saw an item on people sleeping rough, and it did inspire me to send something to one of the charities which offer beds and food and sometimes are able to help with future lives.  Just imagining how it must feel, in the nights we have had recently, especially for those who are older and/or not well.  It is only  a small help, but slightly aids my conscience.

My worst fear is, now living alone,   having a medical emergency like a fall, especially in the night, and wondering if an ambulance might come.  Try not to think about it too much, and just be extra careful.

It is fairly cold here today, but at least the sun is shining a bit, and my grocery order is coming, so a good morning.  Hope you are all doing as well as possible.

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Morning all.  -6C in my bit of Lancashire and I am channelling my inner 'bag lady'. DH laughed when he saw me. After having breakfast in my long cosy dressing gown before heading to my desktop computer, I added a thick cardigan on top, and some brown socks. All I need is a shopping trolley to complete the look.

On a serious note, I hope that everyone who is a rough sleeper is finding indoor accommodation in temperatures like this.

In London there's a coordinated  multiple agency operation running the entire year to contract rough sleepers, offer them immediate help and support in the way of food, hot drinks, extra clothing, blankets and sleeping bags. Many find it hard to trust official organisations and so the aim is to win over trust and to be able to offer them a place for the night in an emergency hostel. From there, more permanent arrangements can be made, medical support can be available and so on. The whole point is to break the downward spiral and to give people the chance to have a different life.

It's supported by lots of different groups, churches, temple and other religious communities. I've talked to one group who've driven for 5 hours from the north of England with a van load of fresh sandwiches and hot drinks. Another group operate a free catering truck! Schools and colleges send out coordinated teams. Some supermarkets drop off bags and bags of food in certain locations every night. I've seen one young man coming out of a station go up to a rough sleeper and give him his own unopened hot pasty and drink.

How we care about others is one of the greatest indicators of how civilised we are. The point's not just to supply  sarnies and tomato soup every night... that simply leads to dependancy... the point is to earn enough trust from people, many of whom are going through very difficult, challenging and complex mental anguish, so that they can trust enough to accept a friendly hand up off the pavement and a free bed for the night... and then they can become increasingly able to look the world in the eye and take care of themselves.

At Christmas... it's not only the rough-sleeper just arrived in a warm space clutching a hot mug of tea and a mince pie... that's a source of relief and joy... but the volunteers welcoming them, looking after them and helping them... volunteers... many of whom were, themselves, being supported at a previous Christmas.

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My worst fear is, now living alone,   

A good Idea that I read somewhere on here is to agree with a friend or family that you both agree to send a text to each other each morning and night with a simple thumbs up sign 👍 that tells each other that your both ok . Not much but gives each other peace of mind ,when you both get a thumbs up .

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

A good Idea that I read somewhere on here is to agree with a friend or family that you both agree to send a text to each other each morning and night with a simple thumbs up sign 👍 that tells each other that your both ok . Not much but gives each other peace of mind ,when you both get a thumbs up .

I do that with a couple of friends….. such a good idea.

• Like 7

A balmy one degree here in Bolton but forecast is for -5 later.. We had quite a scare last night. Around 6.30 our doorbell rang and two young children were there. They said that someone had fallen on the drive next door. Ian went out and their grandma was trying to get our next door neighbour, Peter, up from under his car. Ian got him up and in the house and he wasn’t badly injured. He is 89 and despite the ice on the road and it being dark he said he had to go out to buy Christmas presents. We have asked him several times not to go out in the dark,  he is a lovely but stubborn man. His daughter lives in Scotland and his son lives in Wales, I rang Janet and she was really upset but angry with him for going in these bad conditions. I couldn’t stop thinking that if the Grandma and children had not been walking there dog, he could have been lying there for a long time, with potentially dire consequences. We are at the bottom of the cul de sac and there is a narrow ginnel in the corner which goes down to the main road. It is used a lot during the day but not so at night. He says he feels fine this morning but I suspect he has had quite few words from his children. We do a lot of shopping for him but he does like to do a bit himself and go for a coffee in town. Upsetting time for us all.

• Like 13

I send an email each morning at around 6 to 6.30 - when I am awake - to both my children, just with a M on for mum.  They then know not to worry about me for the day, and don't have to get in touch unless they want to, which they often do.  Each lives a fair way from me, unfortunately.  I have forgotten, only about twice in a  year, and get told off appropriately!    And I will be spending Christmas with one of them.

Good to read your post,  twotravellers,  I had not heard of that before., and it sounds wonderful.

• Like 8

We old uns do tend to be as independent as possible for as long as possible.  I know it is perhaps more concerning for the family, but we need to be allowed to carry on if we can,  rather than going into care of some sort unless absolutely necessary.  I think they bred us pretty tough before and during the second world war!  In some ways getting dementia is the nastiest thing; that is why I keep on doing the crossword and remembering reasonably well all the little things you need to, like turning things on and off etc.

It is a shame that the news nowadays is depressing, for everyone.  I'm sure it will get better, but maybe not for a while.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

We old uns do tend to be as independent as possible for as long as possible.  I know it is perhaps more concerning for the family, but we need to be allowed to carry on if we can,  rather than going into care of some sort unless absolutely necessary.  I think they bred us pretty tough before and during the second world war!  In some ways getting dementia is the nastiest thing; that is why I keep on doing the crossword and remembering reasonably well all the little things you need to, like turning things on and off etc.

It is a shame that the news nowadays is depressing, for everyone.  I'm sure it will get better, but maybe not for a while.

If you want to get really depressed, turn the smart meter on. DW said ' can't be !!' It will be cheaper to go down to Costa than to boil the kettle. So here we are.🤔

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm getting more and more worried about wowzz. I do hope  everything is ok.

Avril

A bit hard living in this cyber world of friends but I'm sure he would let us know if he felt it

appropriate to do so . I'm sure he has good reason for not posting which is his own business,

so just a thumbs up or even a like of a post would be handy .

• Like 9

I have so far resisted a smart meter, and don't do texts, and actually wonder if this  Luddite attitude is better - a piece in today's paper saying that some lonely people 'talk' to Alexa for company!  Please everyone know that I have quite a few local friends I see, and go out in the car now and again - I still like driving, and will carry on for as long as I don't feel a liability.  And see my family as often as poss.

At present I feel that having a landline and mobile, and laptop for emails, websites, and of course CC, is enough, certainly for me.  The internet is both a blessing and a curse, IMO.  I admit it means I would not be able to do all the stuff that cruise ships now demand, but the likelihood of me going on another is sadly low - though my passport has over a year to run, so you never know.

I too hope wowzz is OK, and will send an emoji if nothing else.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

A bit hard living in this cyber world of friends but I'm sure he would let us know if he felt it

appropriate to do so . I'm sure he has good reason for not posting which is his own business,

so just a thumbs up or even a like of a post would be handy .

I wondered if he posted anywhere else, so asked googly. I don't  recommend that route, in case the style police come after you.👯‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, kalos said:

I know you're right kalos, I can't help but be a little concerned though.

Avril

• Like 1