P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

39 minutes ago, kalos said:

The Muppet Show predicted way back in the late 70's what most women would call fashion in 2023

Thinking back to my youth I don't think our make-up ideas were much better.. Back combed hair, lacquered to within an inch of it's life, pale foundation, black pencilled in eyebrows giving an astonished look, black eyeliner, thick black mascara, and glossy pink lipstick. 

The difference being, we made do with what we were born with. The thought of having things surgically altered or botox injected into my face fills me with horror 😖

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 15

It’s a formal (dress to impress) night tonight but for the first time ever will probably not dress up in dinner suit. The first formal night only about 5% of men were dressed in that way and I felt totally out of place. To be fair this is an explorer type of cruise and formal doesn’t really fit in. I’ll ask at our restaurant if my smart casual chino and polo shirt will suffice. I just hope that for the 3rd night running we don’t get loud Americans next to us, I don’t know how they manage to eat anything as they never stop talking 😒

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, Waju said:

Do you know what has struck me most about this series?  The HUGE lips on the ladies 😲  In my opinion its a horrible look.

I thought I was the only one and being not very kind to them as a fellow female. I really do not know what they are thinking !!!!  Glad it isn't me and a sign I am getting old!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

It’s a formal (dress to impress) night tonight but for the first time ever will probably not dress up in dinner suit. The first formal night only about 5% of men were dressed in that way and I felt totally out of place. To be fair this is an explorer type of cruise and formal doesn’t really fit in. I’ll ask at our restaurant if my smart casual chino and polo shirt will suffice. I just hope that for the 3rd night running we don’t get loud Americans next to us, I don’t know how they manage to eat anything as they never stop talking 😒

Sorry if I've missed this - which cruise line are you on and what cruise?

🙂

15 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry if I've missed this - which cruise line are you on and what cruise?

🙂

Princess cruise on Sapphire Princess 2 weeks from Buenos Aires to Santiago via various ports in Argentina and chile including the Falklands and should be at Cape Horn in a few hours time. We also did a week in Brazil before the cruise and should be doing a week in Peru after but the political situation / unrest has closed tourist sites but could be opening up next week. If not we will be flying home early.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Princess cruise on Sapphire Princess 2 weeks from Buenos Aires to Santiago via various ports in Argentina and chile including the Falklands and should be at Cape Horn in a few hours time. We also did a week in Brazil before the cruise and should be doing a week in Peru after but the political situation / unrest has closed tourist sites but could be opening up next week. If not we will be flying home early.

Sounds amazing - have a wonderful time and stay safe. Looking forward to your photos 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just browsing away on my laptop and thought I fancied a short break to the seaside.   I decided to have a look at caravan holiday parks and one of the big boys was having a flash sale.  I had a look and got an 8 berth caravan (only us two) for four nights for £79.. its got a verandah, en suite to main bedroom,  entertainment passes, and all gas and electricity (end April)all included.   Its a smallish quiet site by a lake and near the sea.    £79!!!  That can't be bad can it!

OH is a real EastEnd boy and spent holidays near Clacton,  Holland,  Frinton and that area,  when he was little.  He has  always said he would like to see how its all changed now.

OH had a  caravan site and sold over 2 years ago, and although his was mostly owners only, not holiday lets, he says he can't see much profit there.  I suppose it's bums on seats in the bar and lounge and restaurant.

ps.. I don't wish to start a Valentines war (because I like it, its a bit of fun) but have you seen the price of flowers this weekend  Tescos are normally top whack £15, but yesterday some were £30.  I often get flowers but not at that price this weekend  I wouldn't enjoy them.

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I was just browsing away on my laptop and thought I fancied a short break to the seaside.   I decided to have a look at caravan holiday parks and one of the big boys was having a flash sale.  I had a look and got an 8 berth caravan (only us two) for four nights for £79.. its got a verandah, en suite to main bedroom,  entertainment passes, and all gas and electricity (end April)all included.   Its a smallish quiet site by a lake and near the sea.    £79!!!  That can't be bad can it!

OH had a site and sold over 2 years ago, and although his was mostly owners only, not holiday lets, he says he can't see much profit there.  I suppose it's bums on seats in the bar and lounge and restaurant.

ps.. I don't wish to start a Valentines war (because I like it, its a bit of fun) but have you seen the price of flowers this weekend  Tescos are normally top whack £15, but yesterday some were £30.  I often get flowers but not at that price this weekend  I wouldn't enjoy them.

Seems a very good deal. Well spotted. 😊

4 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

OH had a site and sold over 2 years ago, and although his was mostly owners only, not holiday lets, he says he can't see much profit there.  I suppose it's bums on seats in the bar and lounge and restaurant.

What a bargain - would you mind sharing what company that is with?  

We had two days B&B in a LLanberis/Snowdon hotel last week for £99 in total for the two of us and have just booked another two day deal in North Yorkshire next week for the same price.

You've got to love a bargain! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

OH is a real EastEnd boy and spent holidays near Clacton,  Holland,  Frinton and that area,  when he was little.  He has  always said he would like to see how its all changed now.

OH had a  caravan site and sold over 2 years ago, and although his was mostly owners only, not holiday lets, he says he can't see much profit there.  I suppose it's bums on seats in the bar and lounge and restaurant.

Nice one!  

I lived round there when I was very young - he’ll see some changes. Very different place now from when I was there in the 50s, but still plenty to do and see. Loads of places within easy visiting reach too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I might get on the naughty step (or is it just Agents we mustn't mention).. it was Parkdean😄

Thank you! I did a quick G**gle and found it - I've just booked my first one and am now going back to find some more 😊

I'm so pleased I saw your post - thanks so much

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

My pleasure.  You've now made my day x

Well............... I've booked 4 nights in the North East, 4 nights in Wales and 4 nights East Sussex - all before the end of April - so thanks again indiana x

Who needs cruises? 😊  ps I DO but a change is as good as a rest as they say 😉

• Like 6

I know some of you, like me, love the funny words used round the country for different things - like snap or baggin for the snack/lunch you take to work.  I have only heard snap in the Midlands, and baggin was what I knew in the Northwest.  I also like the words for a narrow passageway, like ginnel.  I bet most of you know the old saying for someone bow-legged -  'couldn't stop a pig in an entry'. And a clothes airer (or maiden) was a wintredge (winter hedge).  I think that was Yorkshire.

Maybe too much there to ponder on!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I also like the words for a narrow passageway, like ginnel. 

Round here they are called 'jittys', in fact the local BBC radio station did a 'jittys of Derbyshire' calendar the other year 😊

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Waju said:

Round here they are called 'jittys', in fact the local BBC radio station did a 'jittys of Derbyshire' calendar the other year 😊

I remember from growing up in Nottingham that a ginnel was called a twitchel.

• Like 2

@lincsladyHere they are called a close, wynd, pend or vennel depending on where you live. The pends and vennels tend to be in the east and the wynds and closes in the west for some reason.

We did a snikelways tour in York through all the old alley ways. Really good historical tour.

A clothes airer was always the clothes horse, don’t know why.

A snack was known as a piece. It usually referred to a sandwich but more generally to lunch as in make me a piece for my tea. Scran is also a popular word for food.

• Like 5