P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

A bottle of Blue Nun and a party 7,those were the days.

And still get change from a 3d bit.

Those Party 7s made brilliant seating for those of us starting off married life with no money and a very large mortgage (well, £9000 was large then, and a 95% mortgage too!).  Four Party 7s, two pieces of ply, some foam rubber and some cheap fabric. Seriously! A set of London phone books did a similar job when you couldn’t afford chairs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Visited Machu Picchu yesterday spectacular views and not many people because Peru is still recovering from the protests (although still a lot of riot police presence around as if expecting something to kick off again). We have been blessed with good weather throughout our 4 week South American tour and yesterday again was good but a lot hotter than expected. We fly back to the UK from Lima tomorrow evening.

EB601AC1-CF90-428C-B5D8-1623F14F6995.jpeg

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 20

18 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Visited Machu Picchu yesterday spectacular views and not many people because Peru is still recovering from the protests (although still a lot of riot police presence around as if expecting something to kick off again). We have been blessed with good weather throughout our 4 week South American tour and yesterday again was good but a lot hotter than expected. We fly back to the UK from Lima tomorrow evening.

EB601AC1-CF90-428C-B5D8-1623F14F6995.jpeg

Looks fantastic, a trip of a lifetime 

Michelle

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

The other important attraction in Harrogate, sadly overlooked, is my first house, a three bedroom semi in Coppice Way, purchased in 1977 for £16,500.  Not even a blue plaque !

One particular property website now estimates the value between £268-£297k. Another website I looked at suggested that a typical mid-range income in 1977 was around £13k (which sounds on the high side to me but that's what I read) compared to £24k today. The differential in the rises between the two never fails to amaze me.

Edited by DamianG

7 minutes ago, DamianG said:

One particular property website now estimates the value between £268-£297k. Another website I looked at suggested that a typical mid-range income in 1977 was around £13k (which sounds on the high side to me but that's what I read) compared to £24k today. The differential in the rises between the two never fails to amaze me.

£13k sounds very high to me too. 

• Like 1

Well we have just returned from a short break in the beautiful city of York. The whole stay, hotel and Italian restaurant we found, included in that statement. If you are on here and live anywhere near this beautiful city you are very lucky indeed. Have never been before and it certainly will not be our last visit. We had a great cruise down the river and we enjoyed our aft view from our seats 😉

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

£13k sounds very high to me too. 

Me too, given this from Hansard, which does admittedly refer only to manual workers and will therefore be on the low side at £3640. The figure’s perhaps around the £5000 mark?

Manual Workers (Wage)

HC Deb 13 December 1977 vol 941 c260260
§14. Mr. MacKay 

asked the Secretary of State for Employment what is the average weekly wage for manual workers; and if he is satisfied with the method of calculation of this average.

§Mr. Harold Walker 

The latest New Earnings Survey shows that at April 1977 the average earnings of manual workers, working full time, who were aged 18 and over and whose pay was not affected by absence, was £70 for males, £43.70 for females and £65.80 for males and females combined. I am satisfied with the method of calculation.

§Mr. MacKay 

Is the Minister aware that statistics can mean all things to all men and that some employers would like to know whether these statistics include overtime? Is he also aware that the statistics have been causing considerable problems in wage negotiations and have led to inflationary wage claims?

§Mr. Walker 

The figures are of average weekly earnings.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Is the restaurant near the bridge?

No.I think that's the little restaurant, quite rustic, called Mamma Mias.  Thats good too.. 

Don Vincenzo's is near the other end of Rochester High Street..  Its very loud and buzzing and my lot all love it.  We had a great evening. 

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well we have just returned from a short break in the beautiful city of York. The whole stay, hotel and Italian restaurant we found, included in that statement. If you are on here and live anywhere near this beautiful city you are very lucky indeed. Have never been before and it certainly will not be our last visit. We had a great cruise down the river and we enjoyed our aft view from our seats 😉

Sounds lovely. Can you name the hotel and did it have parking?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Sounds lovely. Can you name the hotel and did it have parking?

Hi, I think it is ok to say that we stayed at the Park Inn by Radisson York and the restaurant we ate at was the Enotica by L'uva.  If you check them out on Tripadvisor you will see our reviews under our Presto2 username and lots of photos.  The hotel was fabulous but you have to remember that it is currently just finishing its upgrade in March. The bar area is still having a refurb and the reception area is next. To be honest the standard rooms with a river view are amazing and the location was faultless. There was secure parking --- and we mean secure. You had to have a card to get in and out. It was £15 per night though but as we had used our Radisson points to pay for the hotel it was not an issue.

Any questions just ask ---- we would recommend this place 100% and have had an amazing time. 

PS Because of the refurbishment it is now moving to a Radisson brand not a Park Inn and a 4 star so take some previous reviews with a pinch of salt

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2