P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

I hope today ends better than yesterday. My aged hands did not tighten enough the end stop on the mains feed pipe to my shower. I was going to move the pipework from the loft. Like many my main stop valve is solid and any way to change it would mean demolishing part of the kitchen units and worktop. No problem, you can turn the water off from the meter outside. I fit the compression end stop and turn the water on again. What is that roaring noise, PANIC. The end stop blew right off the pipe and a LOT of water soaked the landing carpet and poured down the stairs, also pouring through the kitchen ceiling via my fluorescent light. Luckily the light was off. Any way the water is off again and help will arrive this afternoon. The carpet is draped over the garden wall and I will move it into the conservatory and use my de-humidifier. I have used push fit stuff before and that end stop worked just fine so I could part fill the bath for flushing the toilet.

I turned the water off again otherwise sleep would have been impossible

The shower is ancient so I will get a replacement direct from the manufacturer who have a fitting service so hopefully no cowboys

I now have a stop valve because CC changed the original to Stop **** 🙄

That’s just horrendous Dave. I feel for you. Are you managing to get back to some form of normality?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Definitely a swede. Turnips are much smaller, Google them.

Not if you come from Cumberland!. The small turnips are white turnips.

The big tunips are great mashed with butter and pepper, remember to cut off the fibrous layer before you dice and cook.

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

I hope today ends better than yesterday. My aged hands did not tighten enough the end stop on the mains feed pipe to my shower. I was going to move the pipework from the loft. Like many my main stop valve is solid and any way to change it would mean demolishing part of the kitchen units and worktop. No problem, you can turn the water off from the meter outside. I fit the compression end stop and turn the water on again. What is that roaring noise, PANIC. The end stop blew right off the pipe and a LOT of water soaked the landing carpet and poured down the stairs, also pouring through the kitchen ceiling via my fluorescent light. Luckily the light was off. Any way the water is off again and help will arrive this afternoon. The carpet is draped over the garden wall and I will move it into the conservatory and use my de-humidifier. I have used push fit stuff before and that end stop worked just fine so I could part fill the bath for flushing the toilet.

I turned the water off again otherwise sleep would have been impossible

The shower is ancient so I will get a replacement direct from the manufacturer who have a fitting service so hopefully no cowboys

I now have a stop valve because CC changed the original to Stop **** 🙄

This sounds dreadful Dave. You poor thing. I hope your help arrived today. I suppose you've got to have dehumidifiers to dry everything out now? Good luck with getting everything sorted and I hope you get your home back as it should be soon. Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, happy v said:

It depends on where you live. Don't believe everything you read on Google!😉

A turnip and a swede are different vegetables. The one posted is a swede and a turnip is smaller with a much paler flesh,thin skin and is easier to peel. I know because hate preparing swede, I much prefer turnip. Nothing to do with what Mr Google says.

Avril

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s just horrendous Dave. I feel for you. Are you managing to get back to some form of normality?

Yes the new compression joint is fitted and dry. The carpet looks as if it can be salvaged and the kitchen light is working again. I still have to rebuild the customised shelving but not for a few days. Meanwhile I will connect the shower to the alternative mains feed with push fittings and check the Kw rating, easy to do with a smart meter. Then order a new shower with fitting included.

• Like 6

Just having a quick catch up after arriving at our destination. We’re in Venice for a few days, I’ll post some photos on my return.

Didn’t see the Northern Lights last night at home as had an Earle night due to our early start this morning, but we did see some of the planets and constellations as it was getting dark.

Catch up soon.

Pam

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Just having a quick catch up after arriving at our destination. We’re in Venice for a few days, I’ll post some photos on my return.

Didn’t see the Northern Lights last night at home as had an Earle night due to our early start this morning, but we did see some of the planets and constellations as it was getting dark.

Catch up soon.

Pam

How lovely Pam. Have a wonderful time. Jane. Xx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

A turnip and a swede are different vegetables. The one posted is a swede and a turnip is smaller with a much paler flesh,thin skin and is easier to peel. I know because hate preparing swede, I much prefer turnip. Nothing to do with what Mr Google says.

Avril

This wot a turnip looked like after we as kids had done with them 😍

Bet a lot of you used to make them 🙂

turnip.jpg.14a12bbd82de3b6cdae54c51a65ac34e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If anyone has this problem and has not  heard of the solution (the reception staff at my surgery did not know), you can have a prescrip. sent electronically to a pharmacy other than your normal one if all local ones have run out of what you need - which has just happened tome, for an antibio.  My daughter lives many miles away, but is visiting me today so was able to pick it up at her local pharmacy.

I had not realised until now  that lots of drugs are currently unavailable on the NHS (does not surprise me of course).  I have since heard that someone my son knows in the far north cannot get his bp drugs at present, in his home town.

Probably lots of you know all about this, but thought it might help anyone else who is stuck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

If anyone has this problem and has not  heard of the solution (the reception staff at my surgery did not know), you can have a prescrip. sent electronically to a pharmacy other than your normal one if all local ones have run out of what you need - which has just happened tome, for an antibio.  My daughter lives many miles away, but is visiting me today so was able to pick it up at her local pharmacy.

I had not realised until now  that lots of drugs are currently unavailable on the NHS (does not surprise me of course).  I have since heard that someone my son knows in the far north cannot get his bp drugs at present, in his home town.

Probably lots of you know all about this, but thought it might help anyone else who is stuck.

Good Morning Lincslady 

Firstly, sorry to hear you need antibiotics - I hope you're alright.

Secondly, yes I was aware that this 'out of area' arrangement could be set up. I only know this because of my recent surgery work. At my practice we had a lot of patients who worked in Central London, leaving early and not returning till local pharmacies were closed, so we arranged the prescriptions to be sent electronically to a pharmacy nearest their place of work. It makes good sense - especially where there is a shortage of medications.

Take care. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Jane.  This is just a one off, as my daughter lives near London, and luckily happens to be coming to see me today.  Otherwise, she would have to post them!  My meds. will still normally go to the pharmacy at the Doctors.  Hard to believe that in my medium sized town they are completely depleted.

Just a pesky infection, which makes you feel a bit off colour, but not serious and hope this week's worth will kill it.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thanks, Jane.  This is just a one off, as my daughter lives near London, and luckily happens to be coming to see me today.  Otherwise, she would have to post them!  My meds. will still normally go to the pharmacy at the Doctors.  Hard to believe that in my medium sized town they are completely depleted.

Just a pesky infection, which makes you feel a bit off colour, but not serious and hope this week's worth will kill it.

Thanks for the information on that - I had no idea it was possible. Hope they work quickly for you.

The drug shortages are far more widespread than the government admits - nationwide issues on quite a lot of drugs, some of which are critically essential for some people. Perhaps that was what was meant by the extra £350m per week for the NHS!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Sorry to hear you need antibiotics, hope you feel better soon. 

Yes, I did know of this fact as my hubby has his perscription sent electronically and my son gets collects it from the pharmacy where he works in Truro and brings it home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been a nice sunny day here and have spent the day wandering around exploring. Found a nice shop full of leather goods, bags, etc, so am now the proud very of a nice new bag😁but according to hubby I don’t need any more. Took a gondola ride down the Grand Canal and then along of the side canals. Haven’t seen any dry canals as yet, but you can see that the water levels are lower. Am back at the hotel and recharging my phone as have taken masses of photos before we head of out again for dinner.

Have a good evening.

Edited by purplesea
Predictive text!
  • Like 15

On 2/27/2023 at 8:13 AM, brian1 said:

Hi P2 again,we are 250 miles SE of Sorrento but still in the Med so weather is similar all around that region.Up until June when it gets dry and hot,it is unpredictable.It will be warm even hot but you may get rain which can be heavy even stormy.The last few years it IMO has got dryer earlier in the year probably due to that global warming thing.I always remember about 10 years ago sunbathing in our back garden on New Years Day when a bunch of locals walking past dressed in coats and scarves stopped and stared thru our neighbours fence at us in our cossies.Sorrento is International touristy most of the year,Calabria is Northern Italian touristy mainly for 4 weeks in August.Easter Sunday  there is like a ghost town other than the churches being full.Our only experience of a religious touristy place at Easter was Krakow.Everywhere was closed on Sunday but our hotel (4 star Sheriton) had an all day AI buffet/carvery and drinks, it was a party for us,lol.Your hotel will wine and dine you at least.Anywhere else open will be a bonus.We will be in Calabria at the same time,keep us posted of your experience if possible,cheers,Brian.PS,don't think there will be a dress code as such but smart casual should suffice,if there is a silver service dinner perhaps a jacket for the men,JMO.

Hi sorry just catching up. 

We are expecting anything re the weather but hoping for dry and bright ! Have had a look and done some research so looks like some interesting processions . We want to take ourselves to Pompeii by train perhaps on the Saturday but will avoid the Amalfi Coast until the Monday or Tuesday as am guessing it will be manic !!! The hotel has been good answering questions so may message and ask re dress code 😉

Will keep you all in the loop with photos when we get there .. just pray for sunshine !!!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks for the information on that - I had no idea it was possible. Hope they work quickly for you.

The drug shortages are far more widespread than the government admits - nationwide issues on quite a lot of drugs, some of which are critically essential for some people. Perhaps that was what was meant by the extra £350m per week for the NHS!

Had to go and pick up the remainder of my prescription today, as the pharmacy was unable to fulfil the full prescription last week, not the first time this has happened. Also noticed new suppliers of drugs not my usual manufacturer. 

A few weeks back my local Boots were out of stock of their own brand of anti histamines for 10 days. 

• Like 1

Morning all hope your all doing OK 🙂

A bit of a cool start this morning only 4.c but feels like 1.c at the moment.

My mate Barry phoned me up this morning and was quite giddy he said ..

"Guess when my birthday is and what date ?"

I told him no idea just tell me ........... He said "March 1st" 

So I paced up and down our living room for a minute and told him I still didn't know !

Turns out it's today 🥴

Hope you all have a good day and take care .🙂 

• Haha 5

47 minutes ago, kalos said:

Morning all hope your all doing OK 🙂

A bit of a cool start this morning only 4.c but feels like 1.c at the moment.

My mate Barry phoned me up this morning and was quite giddy he said ..

"Guess when my birthday is and what date ?"

I told him no idea just tell me ........... He said "March 1st" 

So I paced up and down our living room for a minute and told him I still didn't know !

Turns out it's today 🥴

Hope you all have a good day and take care .🙂 

I am reliably informed by DW that tomorrow is 2.3.23. Thats something to look forward to.🤣

• Haha 10