P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We also had to find a new insurer when our insurer cancelled our policy when DH had 2 heart valves replaced and 1 repaired. We have since been insured with Staysure who have managed to keep the premiums reasonable even though one valve still leaks slightly which is why he can no longer fly.

The really strange thing is that we were told that he had been born with faulty heart valves and it had never been picked up until he was 49.  You just don't know what is going on inside your body.

Our travel insurance went up £500 when we changed from Europe and cruising last year to rest of the world including USA and cruising this year.

All clear was £850,Stay sure wanted £1200.

Next year we will probably go back to Europe at £350.

One thing to remember when getting a new policy if you go to the doctor and need a second opinion because he can't diagnose what it is insurance won't insure you until you have a definite diagnosis.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Our travel insurance went up £500 when we changed from Europe and cruising last year to rest of the world including USA and cruising this year.

We don't have worldwide insurance because DH can't fly because of his heart problems but the European cruising renewal this year was £325.  They must have data that indicates that the likelihood of having a further heart attack is higher than having valve problems after the valves have been replaced and / or repaired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thanks Harry. I didn't see the programme but I will catch it up when I get home. Interested to hear your comment about Felixstowe- we'll keep an eye out for it.  Jane xx

In case you get the time when you get back, Jane, here's the iPlayer link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074p41

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We don't have worldwide insurance because DH can't fly because of his heart problems but the European cruising renewal this year was £325.  They must have data that indicates that the likelihood of having a further heart attack is higher than having valve problems after the valves have been replaced and / or repaired.

My arthritis is a big factor too plus having 2 facial basal cell skin cancers removed and 2 cataracts removed.

Once the ops were done and I was given the all clear which I now have they indicated next year all being well will be cheaper for Europe.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

One thing to remember when getting a new policy if you go to the doctor and need a second opinion because he can't diagnose what it is insurance won't insure you until you have a definite diagnosis.

Is that for an annual policy? Is there a maximum trip length?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We will need worldwide when  european+ cruise policy expires in July. I have done a few quotes and expect to pay around £500 more. Unfortunately a necessary expense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We will need worldwide when  european+ cruise policy expires in July. I have done a few quotes and expect to pay around £500 more. Unfortunately a necessary expense.

Thank you I wasn't aware of this.

Ours doesn't expire until next January.

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Annual policy.

30 day maximum trip length.

Single trip insurance is not much cheaper.

Thanks. That isn’t a very long maximum trip length. Are there options to extend?

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks. That isn’t a very long maximum trip length. Are there options to extend?

We never asked because it was not necessary for us. Pauline is still working so 7 or 14 night holidays fit in her leave schedule.

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Excellent, Avril. I knew someone who always used to travel back to Rotherham for her dental work because she reckoned they were better and cheaper. Maybe there are fewer rip-off merchants in South Yorkshire. Maybe they know it wouldn’t be tolerated!

Yep I've seen a few lads have their teeth slackened for nowt around Rotherham on a night out 🙃

I know of a poster who's handy with a jet wash ,if you were to slip him a couple of wines,

maybe he could set up a wowzzplan ,that's if you want yer choppers cleaning .🙃

• Haha 12

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep I've seen a few lads have their teeth slackened for nowt around Rotherham on a night out 🙃

I know of a poster who's handy with a jet wash ,if you were to slip him a couple of wines,

Not sure when you reappeared Kalos, but good to have you back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thanks Kalos. I've heard about those wowzzplans though - they're cheap enough but the sting appears to be hidden away in Clause 3 (a) (iii):

"Any dental work meeting the aforementioned conditions shall only be carried out in the wilds of Lincolnshire, between the hours of 2330 and 0130, by an inebriated maniac with a pressure washer, inside a black rubbish bin, and all negotiations thereon shall be carried out solely in a 100% genuine Farmer Wink Lincolnshire accent.  Bowler hats and formal dress must be worn."

• Haha 13

46 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Can somebody please tell me why Australia are in the Eurovision Song Contest? Since when has Australia been part of Europe? Just my little gripe of the day 😁

Eurovision is very popular in Australia, so Australia was invited as a one off for the 60th Eurovision, but they’ve stayed ever since. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Can somebody please tell me why Australia are in the Eurovision Song Contest? Since when has Australia been part of Europe? Just my little gripe of the day 😁

I'm not an expert but Australia has been nuts over Eurovision for many years it seems. A few years ago they were invited to perform as a one-off and it apparently went so well that they were invited to enter permanently. I've recently seen that New Zealand is now mounting a campaign to join too...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Yes exactly, but that doesn't seem to annoy me for some reason, don't know why.

Could it be your a secret Desmond Decker fan  🎵 ooh . Oh  der .Israelites 🎵 🙃

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

My arthritis is a big factor too plus having 2 facial basal cell skin cancers removed and 2 cataracts removed.

Once the ops were done and I was given the all clear which I now have they indicated next year all being well will be cheaper for Europe.

I’m surprised that they increase the premium for things like that, you’re hardly likely to have to need emergency treatment for those progressive things whilst away on holiday. To me travel medical insurance is to cover costs for accidents and unexpected medical emergencies such as heart attacks, strokes etc. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I’m surprised that they increase the premium for things like that, you’re hardly likely to have to need emergency treatment for those progressive things whilst away on holiday. To me travel medical insurance is to cover costs for accidents and unexpected medical emergencies such as heart attacks, strokes etc. 

Maybe the same IT  team that runs P&Os systems, also wrote the software for the travel insurance risk assessors.🤣😯

• Haha 3

Another one is people cost themselves money by buying annual travel insurance with 

cruise cover. This is costly if your only doing one cruise say in Barbados and all other 

holidays are land based in Europe .

Better to have Europe annual cover and should you decide to hop over the pond cruising ,

book that separate as a one off .

I did this a few years ago as it worked out cheaper than buying world wide cruise policy .

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Unfortunately they do and I have proof with our travel insurance policy.

A minor ailment which the doctor said was nothing the insurance company added £50 to our policy at renewal.

Insurance company want you to report any medical issues when you take out the policy plus any extra issues once you have the policy as they claim if you don't it will invalidate your insurance.

• Like 2