P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Kalos.

I will post it again my good friend.

I posted it on Dani Negreanu daily on RCL last night  but the same person decided to laugh at it there but it was to late to delete.

Our Sarah's dad died this morning so I will be absent today.

IMG_20240308_182001.jpg

IMG_20240308_182019.jpg

IMG_20240308_215918.jpg

Sorry to hear that news Graham

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We never, ever take a plate of food... or even a shared picture of food... for granted. It represents care, hard-work, compassion, love, achievement, warmth and a natural heart-filled generosity. It has special meaning.

We were both brought up in the dire days just after the end of WWII... when the menu of the day was "Eat it or Starve." Times were tough... never enough to eat... despite a mother and father who worked every single hour that God sent.

For me growing up... Food was an achievement... obtained by hard graft, timeless dedication, raking the rocks for buckies (winkles), searching the hedgerows for berries. Sometimes fisher-cousins would give us some codlings... too small to sell... to help us out. 

We spent school holidays gathering seaweed from the shore and dragging it up the cliff to use a green fertiliser for the garden, gathering seafood by the hundred weight to sell to the fishmongers and then loading onto the train that would take them all the way to Billingsgate Market in far, far off London.

Sometime I would crawl on my hands and knees through the shallow water of the sea sloughs with a crab pole... sometimes I would be lucky... most times not.

At weekends, I would walk eight miles to and from a neighbouring village to buy some roasting beef and some eggs from a local butcher who would sell them cheap. (He was a distant cousin... and sometime my lovely great uncle would give me some strawberries from his garden.) My father earned £5,00 a week... the food budget was 10/- (ten shillings in 1960 would only be worth about £14.50 today)... five growing children to feed!

In the spring we would walk the fields planting potatoes, in the summer we would gather beans, strawberries and raspberries for the local farmers (30 mile round walk there and back) In the autumn (holidays) we would collect the potatoes that we'd planted in the spring. That was a great time... part of the "pay" was to be able to take away as many spuds as we could carry at the end of each day... and if we were very ,very lucky a farmer would allow us to take what remained of the leftover turnips over (grown as cattle fodder). In wintery weekends... the ones that Burns described as "An’ bleak December’s winds ensuin, Baith snell an’ keen! An’ weary Winter comin fast," we gleaned the fields wearing hand knitted woolly mittens..

The spuds were what kept the family going; that was our staple; that's what we stored all winter and it was our wages that helped put the food on the table... me and my two younger sisters... in all weathers including ice and frost and snow... that and double digging a huge garden and eating kale, kale, kale and (you've probably got it... more kale!  All supplemented with a tablespoon full of NHS cod-liver oil every morning.

The treat in the sock at Christmas was for all of this backbreakingly hard-work was... one apple and one orange. I was 10! 

So married and decades later... we both consider food as a precious item. It's still an achievement to put a fresh healthy meal on a table and to be invited to eat with friends and family at their home or in a restaurant is a privilege that we personally can never, ever take for granted. Sharing food brings people together, it creates and strengthens bonds, forms unbreakable friendships. Nothing brings people together like good food and it always tastes better when eaten with friends and family.

Even better? The warm-hearted, generous folk who are willing to befriend us, share their food with us, to engage in convivial conversation and to make life so much more enjoyable for all concerned. In today's world... it's good to see folk enjoying themselves, having something nice to eat and a having happy family time... nothing can be better. 

What a lovely post.  I was brought up in the countryside and well remember the “berry picking” all summer with the backbreaking “tattie holidays” coming up in October - probably now equivalent to putting children up chimneys!  🤔

• Like 8

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We never, ever take a plate of food... or even a shared picture of food... for granted. It represents care, hard-work, compassion, love, achievement, warmth and a natural heart-filled generosity. It has special meaning.

We were both brought up in the dire days just after the end of WWII... when the menu of the day was "Eat it or Starve." Times were tough... never enough to eat... despite a mother and father who worked every single hour that God sent.

For me growing up... Food was an achievement... obtained by hard graft, timeless dedication, raking the rocks for buckies (winkles), searching the hedgerows for berries. Sometimes fisher-cousins would give us some codlings... too small to sell... to help us out. 

We spent school holidays gathering seaweed from the shore and dragging it up the cliff to use a green fertiliser for the garden, gathering seafood by the hundred weight to sell to the fishmongers and then loading onto the train that would take them all the way to Billingsgate Market in far, far off London.

Sometime I would crawl on my hands and knees through the shallow water of the sea sloughs with a crab pole... sometimes I would be lucky... most times not.

At weekends, I would walk eight miles to and from a neighbouring village to buy some roasting beef and some eggs from a local butcher who would sell them cheap. (He was a distant cousin... and sometime my lovely great uncle would give me some strawberries from his garden.) My father earned £5,00 a week... the food budget was 10/- (ten shillings in 1960 would only be worth about £14.50 today)... five growing children to feed!

In the spring we would walk the fields planting potatoes, in the summer we would gather beans, strawberries and raspberries for the local farmers (30 mile round walk there and back) In the autumn (holidays) we would collect the potatoes that we'd planted in the spring. That was a great time... part of the "pay" was to be able to take away as many spuds as we could carry at the end of each day... and if we were very ,very lucky a farmer would allow us to take what remained of the leftover turnips over (grown as cattle fodder). In wintery weekends... the ones that Burns described as "An’ bleak December’s winds ensuin, Baith snell an’ keen! An’ weary Winter comin fast," we gleaned the fields wearing hand knitted woolly mittens..

The spuds were what kept the family going; that was our staple; that's what we stored all winter and it was our wages that helped put the food on the table... me and my two younger sisters... in all weathers including ice and frost and snow... that and double digging a huge garden and eating kale, kale, kale and (you've probably got it... more kale!  All supplemented with a tablespoon full of NHS cod-liver oil every morning.

The treat in the sock at Christmas was for all of this backbreakingly hard-work was... one apple and one orange. I was 10! 

So married and decades later... we both consider food as a precious item. It's still an achievement to put a fresh healthy meal on a table and to be invited to eat with friends and family at their home or in a restaurant is a privilege that we personally can never, ever take for granted. Sharing food brings people together, it creates and strengthens bonds, forms unbreakable friendships. Nothing brings people together like good food and it always tastes better when eaten with friends and family.

Even better? The warm-hearted, generous folk who are willing to befriend us, share their food with us, to engage in convivial conversation and to make life so much more enjoyable for all concerned. In today's world... it's good to see folk enjoying themselves, having something nice to eat and a having happy family time... nothing can be better. 

Reading your post takes me back to digging for lug worms to go catch fish, which we always gutted and enjoyed. Worms for the cod, shiny things for mackerel then onto tied flies for salmon.

My dad took me fishing regularly and the fresh fish made a tasty meal. Any extra caught was shared with neighbours (days before a freezer big enough to take much more than a block of ice cream) and they in turn shared extra produce from the garden. Everyone had a glut of something so passed it around. Waste not want not.

We are fortunate to have all we could ever need now but I still really, really hate food waste and have numerous recipes for any leftovers.

Sharing food is an important part of the bonds of family and friends. I suppose that’s why many world religions have it as part of their rituals.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

What a lovely post.  I was brought up in the countryside and well remember the “berry picking” all summer with the backbreaking “tattie holidays” coming up in October - probably now equivalent to putting children up chimneys!  🤔

Berry picking. One in the basket, one in my mouth, one in the basket, one in my mouth.

I used to love picking blae berry. You don’t see them as much now but we had a prolific picking place not far from the house. Amazing in a pie.

• Like 2

@grapau27

Dear Graham, Pauline and Sarah.

I was so sorry to hear your sad news. I send you all sincere condolences and hugs all round. I know how close the three of you are and that love and faith will be of great comfort to you at this very sad time. Jane xxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

@grapau27 condolences on your sad loss and hugs to your lovely Sarah ❤️❤️

I hope the person who laughed (and we can see who it is!) feels suitably ashamed of themselves!

To be fair, it’s not always about laughing at somebody. The smiley face could mean ‘glad you had a nice time’. 

Graham sorry to hear your sad news , please accept my sincere condolences to Sarah Pauline and yourself, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time 

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Graham I’m so sorry to hear your Sarah’s dad has passed, I know you and Pauline will be a great support for her at this sad time, I send my sincere condolences and my thoughts and prayers to you all .

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Angel57 said:

@grapau27 Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear Sarah’s Dad has died.
My sincere condolences to you all……

Gill x

13 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

sorry to hear your sad news Graham.

13 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Oh, sad news Graham

My condolences 

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Our condolences on the sad news Graham. 

13 hours ago, kalos said:

My sentiments too  ,sad news🙁

12 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am so sorry to hear that Sarah's dad has passed away.  Thinking of you all.

12 hours ago, zap99 said:

Graham. She is lucky to have you and Pauline.  Another Mum and Dad.

12 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Very sad news Graham sincere condolences 

12 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

@grapau27 condolences on your sad loss and hugs to your lovely Sarah ❤️❤️

I hope the person who laughed (and we can see who it is!) feels suitably ashamed of themselves!

12 hours ago, lincslady said:

Very sorry to read your news, Graham.  I know your Sarah is thought by all three of you to be essentially a daughter to you, so she will still have you two to care for her,  which I know you will.  

11 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Graham, I'm very sorry to hear the sad news of Sarah's father passing.  I'm sure that having you and Pauline will be a great strength to her.  I send my best wishes and prayers to you all.

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

@grapau27

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of Sarah's father. I'm sure that the love of both you and Pauline will be a great strength and comfort to her during this sad time.

The meal out together last night was a good thing, and the photos were lovely.

My deepest condolences to you all. x

Avril

10 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to hear that news Graham

Michelle

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

@grapau27 thinking of you all.

8 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

+1

8 hours ago, Beckett said:

@grapau27

Dear Graham, Pauline and Sarah.

I was so sorry to hear your sad news. I send you all sincere condolences and hugs all round. I know how close the three of you are and that love and faith will be of great comfort to you at this very sad time. Jane xxx

8 hours ago, Jennizor said:

So sorry to hear your sad news Graham. Thank goodness Sarah has you and Pauline to help her through this terrible period. Xx

Jennizor

7 hours ago, purplesea said:

Graham, I too would just like to add my condolences to you all on the sad news of Sarah's Dad.

6 hours ago, Caullkhead said:

Sorry to hear Graham x

6 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Sorry to hear. 

5 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Our thoughts and hearts are with you all.

DSC_0450.thumb.jpeg.81c9fcb608d32f6de81e1189ce1bca49.jpeg

4 hours ago, lindyloo22 said:

So sorry for your sad news Graham

4 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Graham sorry to hear your sad news , please accept my sincere condolences to Sarah Pauline and yourself, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time 

Joe

5 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Graham I’m so sorry to hear your Sarah’s dad has passed, I know you and Pauline will be a great support for her at this sad time, I send my sincere condolences and my thoughts and prayers to you all .

Thank you my friends for all your condolences messages today.

Graham, Pauline and Sarah xx

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning on this Mothering Sunday .

It's nice when the kids go and see their mum if they haven't seen them for a while

They say that when ET finally got home  his mother asked ....

“Where on Earth have you been? " 😉

The weathers 7.c  and raining so a quiet day here ,maybe watch Crufts final 🤔

Whatever your up to take care 🙂
  • Like 11
  • Haha 4

Good morning everyone, it’s a dull day here today and forecast says possible rain and drizzle -yuk

My daughter and the grandchildren are coming over today to it’s going to be lively soon.

We have been watching Crufts as have our dogs, looking forward to the final tonight.

I can’t believe we will be in the Caribbean next weekend, St Lucia to be exact. I need to get sorted soon, not even got anything out to pack and the cases are still in the loft!!

Have a nice Sunday everyone 

Michelle

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Good morning everyone, it’s a dull day here today and forecast says possible rain and drizzle -yuk

My daughter and the grandchildren are coming over today to it’s going to be lively soon.

We have been watching Crufts as have our dogs, looking forward to the final tonight.

I can’t believe we will be in the Caribbean next weekend, St Lucia to be exact. I need to get sorted soon, not even got anything out to pack and the cases are still in the loft!!

Have a nice Sunday everyone 

Michelle

We already have the rain. I have to go to take my sister's  birthday card and present this morning to remind her that she is about to enter the last year of her 50s.

When we had our dog he used to go sit in front of the tv whenever Crufts was on, obviously seeing if any of them were up to his standard :classic_biggrin:🐕

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Mothers Day to us all.

It's a miserable day here - raining since 6am and not looking as though it will improve any time soon.

I would love to watch Crufts but Ted barks continuously if he sees any dogs on tv. I think he must assume they've broken in to his domain and must be seen off with as much noise as possible. Not to worry - there's a big match on today which I hope will live up to expectations.

Have a lovely day everyone. Jane xx

• Like 10

My mate Barry is really into dog shows ,he has a cross breed, part boxer

and part whippet .

He has entered it into the ugliest contest and was happy when he won !! 

The dog didn't do too bad either taking 3rd place 🙃😉

• Haha 16

A rainy morning here 7C, doubt I will be continuing to empty the soil out of raised bed this morning, it’s a long narrow one, the wood is rotten and I am replacing it with a large veg planter, which will be easier to maintain given its location. 

So I will be spending some of the day planning what to put in garden and where and place an order for new staging for greenhouse,

I won’t be watching Crufts. 😬

• Like 5

Happy Mother's Day!

The best thing about Mother's Day is the chance to show love and appreciation for Mother. When that's not possible it's good to be able to look back, see and share a moment or two of happiness... so here it is... WWII over... men back from the war... village reunited... hope for the future... population booming... families growing.

Mum's the one on the motorbike... (supported by Daddy)... she certainly seemed to be having a good time... 

"Grannie figure" in the background left holding the "bairn!"

If only they could see what their hard-work and sacrifice achieved for their children. Today we have so much to be grateful for.

image.jpeg.da849bbe9a4e5b883d40a842f5482924.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1