P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I went to an all girls school too. I can still feel the incredibly itchy Harris Tweed green skirts we wore in the winter. We also had pudding bowl hats and straw boaters in the summer.

Our shoe heels were measured (max of 1 inch). How times have changed!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I think that male teacher was acting very inappropriately and nowadays he would be in big trouble.

Deservedly so.  I was very shocked it was considered acceptable particularly as it was apparently an all girls church school in Kent.

Myself being an oik went to a comprehensive school, ond of the first after the scrapping of secondary modern and grammar in our area.  I was a year older than all my classmates after missing the 11+ due to being in hospital for over a year.  We had navy pleated skirts, white shirts, black and white diagonal striped tie and black blazer. In summer we could wear a gingham dropped waist seersucker dress.  There was a catch, we had to make the latter in sewing class and my sewing was so bad I never actually got to finish a dress before leaving school!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The girls wore navy blue knickers for sports activities at my grammar school 1968-1973.

We boys wore shorts.

You should not have been looking Graham 🙃😉😆

• Haha 11

Skool Daze memories  kalos diary 70's  era 😉

Came home from school my mum asked me how my day had gone ?

"Suzy at school was showing all the boys her knickers for a penny."

*Oh my goodness, Kalos. What did you do?*

"I came straight home, of course!"

*That's my good boy.*

"Mam?"

*Yes, my Kalos ?*

"May I please have a penny?"   🤣😉🙃
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I went to an all girls' school, with a 'brother' school a few miles away.  I remember navy blue sturdy knickers for gym, and general wear, with white 'linings' (changed every day, hopefully) underneath, but for games we had those shorts which look like a divided skirt.  Our games field was outside the school boundary, and very visible from the road, so maybe that is why we had the more prim and proper dress.  We wore pudding bowl hats with a brim, and used to fold the crown up so that it was shallower and more fetching!  (Though still not very fetching, especially with elastic under the chin).  Seems like centuries ago.  The good thing about uniforms rigidly enforced was that no one could show off more expensive outfits, and I personally think that is still a good idea - though with very different uniforms of course.  How schools cope with trans pupils must be a nightmare though.

I went to a boys school. Are the allowed now?.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

You should not have been looking Graham 🙃😉😆

Difficult not to Kalos being a sporty type and captain of our years school football team.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

We do but probably won’t need it thankfully 

Michelle

Just a thought Michelle, if it's a water based gloss be careful your dog doesn't try to clean her paws by licking at them.

Avril

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Deservedly so.  I was very shocked it was considered acceptable particularly as it was apparently an all girls church school in Kent.

Myself being an oik went to a comprehensive school, ond of the first after the scrapping of secondary modern and grammar in our area.  I was a year older than all my classmates after missing the 11+ due to being in hospital for over a year.  We had navy pleated skirts, white shirts, black and white diagonal striped tie and black blazer. In summer we could wear a gingham dropped waist seersucker dress.  There was a catch, we had to make the latter in sewing class and my sewing was so bad I never actually got to finish a dress before leaving school!

Sewing was rubbish. We had to pin it. Get it checked to see if it was neat enough 

Tack it. Checked again. Then sew by hand. This was for our apron for cookery. I snuck in at lunchtime and did it on the machine.

I dropped sewing at the first opportunity. I had to take history as they wouldn't let me do metalwork.

Thankfully that wouldn't happen now

Edited by happy v
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Just a thought Michelle, if it's a water based gloss be careful your dog doesn't try to clean her paws by licking at them.

Avril

We have managed to get some off her and we have cut some fur off where there was most paint. It was only last week I paid for her to be groomed!!!

Michelle

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, happy v said:

Sewing was rubbish. We had to pin it. Get it checked to see if it was neat enough 

Tack it. Checked again. Then sew by hand. This was for our apron for cookery. I snuck in at lunchtime and did it on the machine.

I dropped sewing at the first opportunity. I had to take history as they wouldn't let me do metalwork.

Thankfully that wouldn't happen now

Similar to our sewing classes. First thing we had to make was an apron, pink and white striped material. I used to get frustrated with the pinning, tacking, sewing and then having to re-sew it if it wasn't right. 

I could sew when I started secondary school, as I learnt, literally on my mother's knee. I used to sit on her knee's while she used the sewing machine and she taught me too. It caused a few arguements about the way we were being taught at school too. Mum had attended Barret Street Trade School so she knew more than my teacher! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Similar to our sewing classes. First thing we had to make was an apron, pink and white striped material. I used to get frustrated with the pinning, tacking, sewing and then having to re-sew it if it wasn't right. 

I could sew when I started secondary school, as I learnt, literally on my mother's knee. I used to sit on her knee's while she used the sewing machine and she taught me too. It caused a few arguements about the way we were being taught at school too. Mum had attended Barret Street Trade School so she knew more than my teacher! 

My Gran was a first class cook, and was one of two cooks in a large London house when in service. She taught me how to cook,bake and make fancy desserts since I was nine, so imagine my surprise whe my daughter came home from a school cookery lesson and informed me I was rolling pastry out the wrong way,.......... according to her young, untrained teacher.😏

Avril

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Very nice, but in the second picture are you holding your hand out for a couple of pennies for the girls.?.

Obrigado Zapp 😄 It's a thumbs up from me 🙃 👍👍👍😉

20240514_114232(1).thumb.jpg.d7caab22e8f49f587daefcbad6543ab3.jpg   We had a great time thanks 🙂

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

My Gran was a first class cook, and was one of two cooks in a large London house when in service. She taught me how to cook,bake and make fancy desserts since I was nine, so imagine my surprise whe my daughter came home from a school cookery lesson and informed me I was rolling pastry out the wrong way,.......... according to her young, untrained teacher.😏

Avril

Same as you Avril, my gran was a cook in a mill owners house in Bradford and she taught me to cook and bake. I still cook her recipes 

Michelle

• Like 7

The rain has arrived, there's a surprise.  Packing finished but somehow once I put in the jeans, leggings, raincoats, hoodie and sweaters the suitcase was very reluctant to join in.  So now I have one large suitcase full of formal stuff and cocktail dresses plus evening wraps and jackets (assuming it will be cold onboard as Cunard ships generally are) and evening/dance shoes, one full of cold weather gear and my hopefully useable lightweight onboard gear and a third half size case with my sundries.  I took less for 5 weeks in Canada and Florida in a cold damp February a few years back, so this looks ridiculous!

This ship better be worth all this!

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The rain has arrived, there's a surprise.  Packing finished but somehow once I put in the jeans, leggings, raincoats, hoodie and sweaters the suitcase was very reluctant to join in.  So now I have one large suitcase full of formal stuff and cocktail dresses plus evening wraps and jackets (assuming it will be cold onboard as Cunard ships generally are) and evening/dance shoes, one full of cold weather gear and my hopefully useable lightweight onboard gear and a third half size case with my sundries.  I took less for 5 weeks in Canada and Florida in a cold damp February a few years back, so this looks ridiculous!

This ship better be worth all this!

Where are you going?

56 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Same as you Avril, my gran was a cook in a mill owners house in Bradford and she taught me to cook and bake. I still cook her recipes 

Michelle

My next door neighbour when I was young was the head cook at the local hospital. She taught me how to make many amazing recipes from basics like Scotch Broth and stovies to much more complicated dishes.

Tonight I have made a fish curry, the smell is permeating the whole house. Mrs M would be proud, God rest her.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

My late mam was the cook supervisor at the school near us.

• Like 6

Mum could bake lovely cakes but her pastry was awful and she was able to produce lovely dinners from cheap cuts of meat so we always plenty of good meals. Mum could sew, knit and crochet and made lots of our clothes.

Dad was in the navy for 8 years and was taught to cook there, he was a brilliant pastry cook. 

I went to an all girls grammar school where academic subjects were considered far more important than cookery and sewing.  Between my parents I learned to cook and bake and I still enjoy cooking and baking.  I used to make some of my own clothes but these days my sewing machine only comes out to do repairs.  I do still do a bit of cross-stitch and embroidery.

Looking back I now realise how hard they both worked to give us a good life.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Where are you going?

Around Britain on Queen Anne.  The weather for half of it now shows warm and wet.  I was reluctant to take out my warmer weather clothing so topped it up with a couple of pairs of jeans which take forever to dry if they get wet, two sweaters, a hoodie and my walking boots.  

My evening wear filled one suitcase as I wanted to keep the weight to something I can handle okay.  I bought three heavily beaded dresses for the main formal gala nights and had forgotten how they fill half a suitcase.  After lots of discussion with my friends I've taken out all the nice sparkly trousers and tops and replaced them with little cocktail dresses plus three pairs of evening shoes with various heels .  Even that has filled the case up so I moved to number 2 for my day clothes but squashing it down meantbby the time I'd added my raincoat and lightweight jacket there was no room for my toiletries etc.  It's total OTT but I'm tired of replanning it all.  Ironically my packing list is actually quite short save my underwear where I take way too much.  

I'm normally really good at packing and when I fly I'm always underweight. Actually these cases aren't heavy, just bulked out.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Around Britain on Queen Anne.  The weather for half of it now shows warm and wet.  I was reluctant to take out my warmer weather clothing so topped it up with a couple of pairs of jeans which take forever to dry if they get wet, two sweaters, a hoodie and my walking boots.  

My evening wear filled one suitcase as I wanted to keep the weight to something I can handle okay.  I bought three heavily beaded dresses for the main formal gala nights and had forgotten how they fill half a suitcase.  After lots of discussion with my friends I've taken out all the nice sparkly trousers and tops and replaced them with little cocktail dresses plus three pairs of evening shoes with various heels .  Even that has filled the case up so I moved to number 2 for my day clothes but squashing it down meantbby the time I'd added my raincoat and lightweight jacket there was no room for my toiletries etc.  It's total OTT but I'm tired of replanning it all.  Ironically my packing list is actually quite short save my underwear where I take way too much.  

I'm normally really good at packing and when I fly I'm always underweight. Actually these cases aren't heavy, just bulked out.

Okay. I live in Durham. It really isn't that cold. Ditch the jeans for lighter trousers, one jumper, 'pack a mac'. Unless you plan climbing a mountain trainers will do

Then you can take your nice sparkle clothes and be happier.

My daughter is going to Northumberland next week. We have ordered nice weather 😂

Does this mean you are on for the naming ceremony?

It

Edited by happy v
  • Like 3

I live in central Scotland ( near Stirling) and we've been having good weather and even if it's overcast it's definitely not cold. I have put away my winter jackets and jumpers a few weeks ago!  Jeans haven't been worn either too thick. As happy v said light weight trousers and t-shirts long and short sleeves should be ok with a jumper or cardigan. Sketchers and a pack amac at least that's what I've been wearing recently. My husband always says May and June is Scotland's summer😂😂

Good luck with the weather and have a great time 😁 

I'm going on a cruise on Tuesday from Newcastle round the top of Scotland so have been keeping an eye on the weather forecast 😂 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, happy v said:

Okay. I live in Durham. It really isn't that cold. Ditch the jeans for lighter trousers, one jumper, 'pack a mac'. Unless you plan climbing a mountain trainers will do

Then you can take your nice sparkle clothes and be happier.

My daughter is going to Northumberland next week. We have ordered nice weather 😂

Does this mean you are on for the naming ceremony?

It

Yes I'm on the naming ceremony cruise.  The walking shoes are for the Giants Causeway.  I went to bed and got up to repack because it's stressing me out really badly.  I now have one pair of jeans, two cotton trousers and two pairs of leggings for going ashore.  I have no problem with cold as I dress in layers as needed.  I have big problem with wet, I cannot abide being in damp clothes all day.  I've therefore left my Joules rain jacket in along with my Queen Elizabeth pack away coat.  I also took out copious amounts of underwear, my change of gym clothes (hoping the remainder aren’t going to get smelly)! and one of my heavier sweaters. I've also taken out my sandals apart from a pair of Skechers.  So considerably smaller.  Now I just have to make sure I can get my five bags of Haribos and mints into my hand luggage along with my Milka chocolate biscuits although I'm sure my health coach would be far happier if I couldn't!

I'm currently at serious risk of divorce now after waking my husband up twice when he has to drive to Leeds tomorrow to arrive by mid morning so rather than push my luck I'm thinking of going to the spare room if the cat will let me in!

P.s. I just opened a back pack and found a P&O umbrella which was a prize on Arvia for winning Pointless last year! A definite result with that one.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 6