P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Devon born and bred said:

Whilst the subject of content on the BBC is subjective what I find really annoying is that I can't watch any live TV on any other channel or provider, for example Sky or ITV which are funded by advertisements, unless I have a TV licence where the fee goes to the BBC. I can choose to pay to have Sky, Netflix etc if I wish but I can't watch any of that live if I don't pay for a service I don't want/use.

A classic misunderstanding.  You pay a fee to the Government for the right to watch broadcasts.  Anything you can watch on a screen is a broadcast even if you have no tv but use a laptop, etc. You pay your fee to HM Government who then give a grant to the BBC to spend as they wish.  Actually Channel 4 is also funded by the Government hence the talk by Nadine Dorries of selling it off.  Media City in Manchester is home to both. 

What the BBC does with it's funding is split to various things including radio, IPlayer, website, news channels, production etc.  They export and provide a huge amount of their works worldwide. Many countries accept the BBC as the most reliable source of news.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

Evening all, still quite muggy here. Hope all are well.

John and I had a nice time in Herne Bay Sunday, weather looked dodgy when we set off but I was sure it would cheer up! We went for a cheap lunch on the pier of chips and ice cream then went to a very nice restaurant for just a beer! Food was very expensive so we were pleased we could just have a drink. Looks like we were abroad! 

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1595.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg

• Like 17

47 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

A classic misunderstanding.  You pay a fee to the Government for the right to watch broadcasts.  Anything you can watch on a screen is a broadcast even if you have no tv but use a laptop, etc. You pay your fee to HM Government who then give a grant to the BBC to spend as they wish.  Actually Channel 4 is also funded by the Government hence the talk by Nadine Dorries of selling it off.  Media City in Manchester is home to both. 

What the BBC does with its funding is split to various things including radio, IPlayer, website, news channels, production etc.  They export and provide a huge amount of their works worldwide. Many countries accept the BBC as the most reliable source of news.

Channel 4 is publicly owned as a not for profit corporation and  receives no public funding.

https://www.channel4.com/corporate/about-4/operating-responsibly/freedom-information/frequently-asked-questions#

Part of the TV Licence fee also contributes towards Freeview and Freesat, and towards the UK broadband rollout, funding local TV channels and S4C, the Welsh language TV channel. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Channel 4 is publicly owned as a not for profit corporation and  receives no public funding.

https://www.channel4.com/corporate/about-4/operating-responsibly/freedom-information/frequently-asked-questions#

Part of the TV Licence fee also contributes towards Freeview and Freesat, and towards the UK broadband rollout, funding local TV channels and S4C, the Welsh language TV channel. 

I do appreciate that, my point was it is not a channel relying on advertising to exist. There are huge misconceptions about the BBC mostly stirred by newspapers and I find that most of the BBC decryers call the TV licence a tax by the BBC which is not the case.  All is not clear cut and it suits the press to keep people having these misconceptions.   

I believe people might be very surprised what will go if the decryers get there way.  With the general opinion being in 10-15 years time people won't even have a TV set in their homes the name TV licence will most likely have to ho the way of it's predessor the radio licence, but you can bet your bottom dollar the fee will carry on in some other form.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Evening all, still quite muggy here. Hope all are well.

John and I had a nice time in Herne Bay Sunday, weather looked dodgy when we set off but I was sure it would cheer up! We went for a cheap lunch on the pier of chips and ice cream then went to a very nice restaurant for just a beer! Food was very expensive so we were pleased we could just have a drink. Looks like we were abroad! 

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1595.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg

Lovely photos Sue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is 14°C and cloudy here.

There are supposed to be protests in Sunderland and Newcastle today so very concerning.

I hope everyone is well and you all have a safe and happy day.

• Like 10

Good morning everyone.  It is a cool 15° grey morning.  The dog decided that he needed to go out at 5:12 this morning so an early start here.  I am about to take him out for his first walk. During the pandemic the children taught him to jump on anyone who sneezed and he hasn't forgotten, I have a slight cold and every time I sneeze or cough he launches himself on me.

Have a good day regardless of the weather where you are.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Morning all,I had my annual eyetest Monday.I had the dreaded confirmation that I need cataracts sorted.She referred me and said it will be 6 weeks for pre op.Got a phone call yesterday,it's for Saturday.Great service but a bit squeamish having my eyes poked about,lol..

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Morning all,I had my annual eyetest Monday.I had the dreaded confirmation that I need cataracts sorted.She referred me and said it will be 6 weeks for pre op.Got a phone call yesterday,it's for Saturday.Great service but a bit squeamish having my eyes poked about,lol..

Hi Brian.

I had an Epiretinal membrane and cataract removed from my right eye and the intraocular lens put in meant I didn't need my  Varifocal glasses.

I pushed to get the cataract on my other eye done which was done a few months later.

Drops were put in my eye and I was awake during the operation but I didn't feel any discomfort.

My eyesight is a lot better now and I was really happy I got it done.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Understandable, Brian, but I know so many people who have have this op. and without exception they have been pleased to have had it done.  My DH had been shortsighted all his life, and they gave  him the option of good distance or near vision, in both eyes, and he opted for good distance and it worked perfectly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Brian.

I had an Epiretinal membrane and cataract removed from my right eye and the intraocular lens put in meant I didn't need my  Varifocal glasses.

I pushed to get the cataract on my other eye done which was done a few months later.

Drops were put in my eye and I was awake during the operation but I didn't feel any discomfort.

My eyesight is a lot better now and I was really happy I got it done.

Yeah but you get the "Graham" treatment,I know that from my experience in Greggs😉.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 14°C and cloudy here.

There are supposed to be protests in Sunderland and Newcastle today so very concerning.

I hope everyone is well and you all have a safe and happy day.

Supposed to be protests in Southampton tonight, the Saints also have a home friendly v Lazio so also lots of supporters (including Italians) around as well. Our son is going to the match, hope all is ok 🤞

• Like 6

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I am the same, I hate going to the optician because I hate anyone messing with my eyes.  I am also unable to do anything with anyone else's eyes, when my husband had a welding flash I passed out at the hospital when the nurse suggested that I watch how to put the drops.  The nurse recognised him and told his mum who was still working as a ward sister that her D-i-L had passed out.  I had to take DH round to my mum's twice every day for a week so that my mum or my sister who were both nurses could put his drops in.

I an unfortunate enough to have to have my eyes checked annually because of my family history and in March I was told that I had the start of a cataract in my right eye but that it was not yet "ripe" enough for surgery so I am now on 6 monthly checkups.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Even though I don't bother with Eurovision, the fact that it gets such good viewing figures is probably why the Beeb continue to highlight it.

We only turn on for the voting. 🤣

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Supposed to be protests in Southampton tonight, the Saints also have a home friendly v Lazio so also lots of supporters (including Italians) around as well. Our son is going to the match, hope all is ok 🤞

Lots of things have been closed/cancelled up here.

I hope your son is okay but check match is still on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Yeah but you get the "Graham" treatment,I know that from my experience in Greggs😉.

Thank you Brian.

😇I got a 

£2.79 breakfast special  today 😋

IMG_20240807_092634.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am the same, I hate going to the optician because I hate anyone messing with my eyes.  I am also unable to do anything with anyone else's eyes, when my husband had a welding flash I passed out at the hospital when the nurse suggested that I watch how to put the drops.  The nurse recognised him and told his mum who was still working as a ward sister that her D-i-L had passed out.  I had to take DH round to my mum's twice every day for a week so that my mum or my sister who were both nurses could put his drops in.

I an unfortunate enough to have to have my eyes checked annually because of my family history and in March I was told that I had the start of a cataract in my right eye but that it was not yet "ripe" enough for surgery so I am now on 6 monthly checkups.

Working on a ladder in London a blob of molten solder and acidic flux bounced off my eyeball.Luckily Moorfields was just around the corner.I took some stick in the pub with the bloody great bandage on my eye.

On 8/4/2024 at 4:54 PM, brian1 said:

Who says these "Doris" AI bots don't earwig around them.We stayed with our daughter and family yesterday in Sevenoaks.We popped into M&S for dinner bits.When we got back we told our SIL we got him a posh pork chop and daphne pots.We tried to get creamed cabbage but none available.After 10 mins guess what popped up on Marilyns faceache,you got it,a pork chop and creamed cabbage recipe.All this time Doris was sitting dormant in the corner of the kitchen,yeah right.

Another one.All of us having got back from Turkey we were all singing Frys Turkish delight (doesn't everyone) in the kitchen.Yesterday a  FTD advert popped up on Marilyns faceache.Spooky.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Another one.All of us having got back from Turkey we were all singing Frys Turkish delight (doesn't everyone) in the kitchen.Yesterday a  FTD advert popped up on Marilyns faceache.Spooky.

Alexa, tell me a joke

Alexa, tell me a joke. ...Alexa? Alexa?

Sorry, I wasn't listening. I thought you deserved some privacy.

Really? Well, that's nice of you 

Would you like to hear another joke?

I've even asked Mrs K how do you turn Alexa off ?
She suggested I walk around the house naked ..

Think I've sorted it out now .. Alexa ,do you think we should go swimming ?
That is a good idea 
She's not so gobby now after a bit of going off the top diving board in our
local swimming baths 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I have slow developing cataracts and I could tell that one eye had really deteriorated by the time I had my annual test recently. However I was told that the cataract has to cause 50% loss of vision before referral to the NHS and that mine was currently only at around 35% loss of vision. I asked about going private and the optician said that it was better to wait a while. So that’s it for now! I think I’m too young anyway!! 

• Like 3

Early start this morning to be at Pompei at opening. Supposedly cooler - yeh right 86° at 9.00am.  However I survived, just but we saw three people taken poorly and needing medical aid presumably overcome by heat.  I haven’t been there in 40 years so it was quite something to see the changes.  I doubt I'll go again in my lifetime so it was a great experience. Took an interesting route there through villages I never knew existed. Now rewarding myself with a glass of prosecco and late lunch.

Oh yes, just for a laugh my trousers did not like the heat and literally fell apart ..

20240807_120152.jpg

20240807_112831.jpg

20240807_112823.jpg

20240807_112544.jpg

20240807_112417.jpg

20240807_112121.jpg

20240807_103743.jpg

20240807_100618.jpg

20240807_100517.jpg

20240807_095916.jpg

20240807_123116.jpg

20240807_135401.jpg

20240807_124056.jpg

20240807_123734.jpg

20240807_124031.jpg

• Like 17

I've only taken quick glances at the posts here just recently as life was happening at at pace!  So I've skim read a few more pages today and thought I would chip in on the BBC chat with something that really puzzles me.

I'm largely supportive of the BBC (I didn't approve of the cuts to local radio last year, and some of the salaries paid and DH was always irritated by the pay of Gary Lineker and Huw Edwards).  My beef with them is the amount of duplication of staff to cover news stories in the regions which also have national interest.  Just why?  For my money, the local BBC team of journalists are very good so why can they not be used to do the same stories for the national news?  Time and time again you see the BBC news reporting the same stories, from the same spots with the only difference being the presenters!  

I still regard the BBC as something to be treasured but that doesn't mean it should be free from scrutiny.  It feels good to get that off my chest, as I've moaned about it for years 😉

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 13

25 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I've only taken quick glances at the posts here just recently as life was happening at at pace!  So I've skim read a few more pages today and thought I would chip in on the BBC chat with something that really puzzles me.

I'm largely supportive of the BBC (I didn't approve of the cuts to local radio last year, and some of the salaries paid and DH was always irritated by the pay of Gary Lineker and Huw Edwards).  My beef with them is the amount of duplication of staff to cover news stories in the regions which also have national interest.  Just why?  For my money, the local BBC team of journalists are very good so why can they not be used to do the same stories for the national news?  Time and time again you see the BBC news reporting the same stories, from the same spots with the only difference being the presenters!  

I still regard the BBC as something to be treasured but that doesn't mean it should be free from scrutiny.  It feels good to get that off my chest, as I've moaned about it for years 😉

And why is it necessary to fly out studio news presenters to cover overseas events, just to stand in front of a recognisable feature and do exactly what they could have done just as well,  if not better, back in the UK studio.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

And why is it necessary to fly out studio news presenters to cover overseas events, just to stand in front of a recognisable feature and do exactly what they could have done just as well,  if not better, back in the UK studio.

Absolutely!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The presenter in the studio asks a politician a question. That presenter asks the political editor....what do you think of that answer ?..what did they mean?.......I don't know Geoff...I wasn't listening.🤣

• Like 1