P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Best pull this back on topic mate .

Anything doing in Southampton ?

Around our parts tomorrow there is going to be fun and games on the motorways .

A great big power station generator will be slowing things down a little bit .:classic_unsure:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/huge-load-the-size-house-18555842

All we get down here is cruise ships dropping their grey waste down the Solent... 

Andy 

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the cruise check in guys and a lot of the supply chain for the ships and with today 

carnival looking for cuts ,it's not going to end happy for some people job wise , me suspects .

The generator was leaving Goole docks and my lad (the lorry driver one) had 3 runs today ,Doncaster to 

Goole and guess what he got stuck behind on his last run this afternoon ?

Some guys have all the luck ! :classic_smile:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

I feel sorry for the cruise check in guys and a lot of the supply chain for the ships and with today 

carnival looking for cuts ,it's not going to end happy for some people job wise , me suspects .

The generator was leaving Goole docks and my lad (the lorry driver one) had 3 runs today ,Doncaster to 

Goole and guess what he got stuck behind on his last run this afternoon ?

Some guys have all the luck ! :classic_smile:

It's hitting Southampton hard, Carnival have cancelled existing orders with suppliers, understandably. 

A local cabinet company I deal with has had its biggest ever order for Carnival cancelled. They are left with thousands of pounds worth of custom made cabinets that are not usable anywhere else. 

Andy 

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It's hitting Southampton hard, Carnival have cancelled existing orders with suppliers, understandably. 

A local cabinet company I deal with has had its biggest ever order for Carnival cancelled. They are left with thousands of pounds worth of custom made cabinets that are not usable anywhere else. 

Andy 

Heartbreaking Andy ,I really feel for them :classic_sad:💔

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

That's tough. I can empathise as BA in the US suddenly removed our Stilton from their club menu with no notice - our importer  had literally thousands of portions of Stilton that could not be sold anywhere else. 

And you can't do a damn thing about it. Shocking. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

That’s awful, I don’t see where this is all going to end.

Just been reading that Boris wants all the home workers to go back to work because of lack of trade in shops and restaurants- good luck with that one!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Just been reading that Boris wants all the home workers to go back to work because of lack of trade in shops and restaurants- good luck with that one!

Wearing masks to protect other people makes sense (I see he's changed his view on that one) but if people can work effectively from home they're hardly going to want to go back to offices just to benefit shops and restaurants, I agree.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

There was always going to be a knock on effect, I think for many the paid holiday is over and the reality is starting to set in. 

My industry seems to have come back strongly, but still thousands are losing their jobs as companies are learning that they can streamline. 

I hate the phrase 'new normal', but things will never be the same again, although that is not all bad. 

Some industries won't recover fully, I can't ever see me wanting to sit next to strangers in a cinema or theatre, but I suppose the Bournemouth beach bums won't mind... 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You're right, Andy - we're only scratching the surface of this thing so far. John Lewis and Boots have provided a glimpse of what's to come, and it's only the furloughing that's holding off the inevitable. Once that goes I really do fear for young people in particular.  And for anyone without the skills to enable them to get employment.  Last time this happened, on a far smaller scale, graduates were mopping up all the jobs that the unskilled would have taken, and we'll see the same again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You're right, Andy - we're only scratching the surface of this thing so far. John Lewis and Boots have provided a glimpse of what's to come, and it's only the furloughing that's holding off the inevitable. Once that goes I really do fear for young people in particular.  And for anyone without the skills to enable them to get employment.  Last time this happened, on a far smaller scale, graduates were mopping up all the jobs that the unskilled would have taken, and we'll see the same again.

Boots have been streamlining their model for some time and John Lewis have not performed to previous levels for quite a while, so taking the opportunity to make the hard decisions now is not surprising, no credibility lost. 

High Street retail has been on its backside for years, expect many more redundancies and closures. 

The previously weak companies will go first, hopefully allowing the strong to survive. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle

Johnson may want people to stop Working from home but many companies are actively looking to reduce their costs and reduction in office space is a big saving. 

I retired 11 years ago, at the time of retiring I was working from home 3 days a week then, only going into the “office” for 2 of them, the “office“ could be any one of a number of locations.

Both my sons have been working from home for a number of years, both work for large international companies, for which working from home is the norm. My stepson starts a new job in August, he has been told he will be working from home much of the time, he is a solicitor.

Moving towards working from home has been happening for sometime lockdown has accelerated that move, it’s a tide that is not going to be turned by a blond scruffy PM. 

The high st was struggling before the virus hit, to many of them loaded with debt from previous years of expansion and living beyond their means, the chickens are coming home to roost and sadly people are paying for that with their jobs as a result.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Johnson may want people to stop Working from home but many companies are actively looking to reduce their costs and reduction in office space is a big saving. 

I retired 11 years ago, at the time of retiring I was working from home 3 days a week then, only going into the “office” for 2 of them, the “office“ could be any one of a number of locations.

Both my sons have been working from home for a number of years, both work for large international companies, for which working from home is the norm. My stepson starts a new job in August, he has been told he will be working from home much of the time, he is a solicitor.

Moving towards working from home has been happening for sometime lockdown has accelerated that move, it’s a tide that is not going to be turned by a blond scruffy PM. 

The high st was struggling before the virus hit, to many of them loaded with debt from previous years of expansion and living beyond their means, the chickens are coming home to roost and sadly people are paying for that with their jobs as a result.

Enabling people to work from home saved a lot of businesses through the pandemic, so why would they want to carry on paying extortionate office rent/rates etc to bring them back, especially if productivity has increased? 

Less commuting = less stress and less pollution.

And where is all this plastic going to go from the office screens and visors etc.. 

Andy 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Good points, but cheap personal insults don't add anything.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Boots have been streamlining their model for some time and John Lewis have not performed to previous levels for quite a while, so taking the opportunity to make the hard decisions now is not surprising, no credibility lost. 

High Street retail has been on its backside for years, expect many more redundancies and closures. 

The previously weak companies will go first, hopefully allowing the strong to survive. 

Andy 

I was amazed that JL expect 70% of their turnover to be from on-line sales this year, and they expect on-line to account for an increasing majority of sales going forward. Things are certainly changing as a result of the shutdown and it will be interesting to see how far the changes go.  Unfortunately it is going to take a long time for new jobs to replace those lost as a result.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I was amazed that JL expect 70% of their turnover to be from on-line sales this year, and they expect on-line to account for an increasing majority of sales going forward. Things are certainly changing as a result of the shutdown and it will be interesting to see how far the changes go.  Unfortunately it is going to take a long time for new jobs to replace those lost as a result.

I was equally amazed to learn that as the anchor tenant for the Birmingham Grand Central development John Lewis have paid no rent since they opened. Any major store that can’t make a success out of that situation has serious structural problems. Amazon’s probably the greatest of those, but JL’s service standards have dropped so much to try to compete that it’s completely lost its USP.

Birmingham’s mayor Andy Street criticises the company, but he was the CEO who failed it, and then cleared off before it all hit the fan.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wearing masks to protect other people makes sense (I see he's changed his view on that one) but if people can work effectively from home they're hardly going to want to go back to offices just to benefit shops and restaurants, I agree.

Not just Boris changing his view; every scientist I heard at the beginning of this whole ghastly business said that face masks for we plebs would be useless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You have your view. We have ours. Take a look at the opinion polls for the public’s viewpoint.

I have no recollection of any polls asking a) Is Boris blond? and b) Is Boris scruffy?😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Not just Boris changing his view; every scientist I heard at the beginning of this whole ghastly business said that face masks for we plebs would be useless.

The problem then was that there were no masks to be had, so it was convenient to say they were ineffective.  Asian countries have been using them for years.

The real protection isn’t to the wearer, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a real protection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The problem then was that there were no masks to be had, so it was convenient to say they were ineffective.  Asian countries have been using them for years.

The real protection isn’t to the wearer, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a real protection.

That's what I thought at the time.

Torygraph has an interesting article today alleging the reason for the recent Melbourne outbreak is that the virus's preferred temperature for maximum transmission is 4C. If correct, this winter presents a doleful picture.

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I was equally amazed to learn that as the anchor tenant for the Birmingham Grand Central development John Lewis have paid no rent since they opened. Any major store that can’t make a success out of that situation has serious structural problems. Amazon’s probably the greatest of those, but JL’s service standards have dropped so much to try to compete that it’s completely lost its USP.

Birmingham’s mayor Andy Street criticises the company, but he was the CEO who failed it, and then cleared off before it all hit the fan.

Could be the free period is now expiring and they have been unable to secure a viable long term rent at the footfall they had been experiencing, otherwise I doubt JL would be shutting down a such a new store.

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I agree - the writing has been on the wall for High Street retail for some time.  I can't believe how many empty shops we have even in the previously most sought after areas of town.   Sadly the current situation has accelerated the situation for many.  As has already been said I don't think we've seen the half of it yet.  Such a worry for so many people.  

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You have your view. We have ours. Take a look at the opinion polls for the public’s viewpoint.

My point is that being rude and insulting demeans the message. As you say , you have your opinion, always.

17 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

That's what I thought at the time.

Torygraph has an interesting article today alleging the reason for the recent Melbourne outbreak is that the virus's preferred temperature for maximum transmission is 4C. If correct, this winter presents a doleful picture.

I read that. Very worrying for winter, along with flu, isn’t it.