P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

But 1947 was more memorable. Snow up to your armpits the end of April so I'm told.❄

Avril 

I like your quote about the snow, it reminds me of my mum's regularly quoted description of my birth year (1966). "It rained all summer and there was nothing but bl**dy football on the telly." 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I like your quote about the snow, it reminds me of my mum's regularly quoted description of my birth year (1966). "It rained all summer and there was nothing but bl**dy football on the telly." 

I was told Dad had to dig a path from the house to the road so the doctor could get in. As I got got older I looked it up in the library  (no Internet then) and was really shocked by the photos of the snow in the south. 

Avril 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

America's handled this badly, but believe it or not our death rate per million is considerably worse.  Ours is the fourth worst in the world, and the US death rate per million is only two thirds of ours.

I am surprised that our death rate is higher than the USA, because I had wondered if our obesity level, which is the highest in Europe, might prove to be one of the major reasons for our poor death figures, but I assume the US obesity level is higher than ours.

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I was told Dad had to dig a path from the house to the road so the doctor could get in. As I got got older I looked it up in the library  (no Internet then) and was really shocked by the photos of the snow in the south. 

Avril 

Avril, what month were you born.  I am January 1947.  The doctor didn't make it to my home in Wembley.  My Mum gave birth to me on her own and the midwife finally got there after half an hour.  Snow was 6 feet high.

Edited by jeanlyon

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I am surprised that our death rate is higher than the USA, because I had wondered if our obesity level, which is the highest in Europe, might prove to be one of the major reasons for our poor death figures, but I assume the US obesity level is higher than ours.

As I said in a previous post, just looking at deaths per million is a very inexact science . You need to factor in population density, which obviously has a major influence with regards to US death rates.

If you look at the incidence of death rates on the Eastern seaboard, including New York,  you will see that the US death rates are just as bad as here in the UK.

As always, the devil is in the detail.

45 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Avril, what month were you born.  I am January 1947.  The doctor didn't make it to my home in Wembley.  My Mum gave birth to me on her own and the midwife finally got there after half an hour.  Snow was 6 feet high.

I was born the end of April 1947 in Staines Middlesex. I was  stunned when I saw the photos from that time. I remember one in particular. It was of a telephone box that was completely buried in snow with a path cut through the snow leading to it. Amazing. 

Avril 

• Haha 1

Well, after our pub meal on Tuesday,  today was hair cut day!  When I was 19 I never thought I would welcome having my hair cut.

So, the option in my barbers is, queue in the street, (only 3 gents in the waiting room) , for the standard price of £7 for oap's, or use the app for an appointment and pay £10. So I paid the extra,  had my favourite "stylist", and had my eyebrows done as well, with no waiting. 10 minutes for the total experience. 

I think the app is the way to go - over a year it will cost me an extra £18, but, in the absence of cruising, what else will I spend my money on?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, after our pub meal on Tuesday,  today was hair cut day!  When I was 19 I never thought I would welcome having my hair cut.

So, the option in my barbers is, queue in the street, (only 3 gents in the waiting room) , for the standard price of £7 for oap's, or use the app for an appointment and pay £10. So I paid the extra,  had my favourite "stylist", and had my eyebrows done as well, with no waiting. 10 minutes for the total experience. 

I think the app is the way to go - over a year it will cost me an extra £18, but, in the absence of cruising, what else will I spend my money on?

An extra £18 a year is nothing to obtain the perfect coiffure. When i had mine cut on Tuesday l paid for a complete restyle, it was so unruly. Im sure I must have  lost  2lb. Doesn't take much to make us happy nowadays does it??

Avril 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

An extra £18 a year is nothing to obtain the perfect coiffure. When i had mine cut on Tuesday l paid for a complete restyle, it was so unruly. Im sure I must have  lost  2lb. Doesn't take much to make us happy nowadays does it??

Avril 

Amazing, isn't it, how our priorities have changed. All I wish for now is a hairdresser (next Monday, hooray!) and a Tesco (other supermarkets are available) delivery slot.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

That’s funny I had my first meal out yesterday and I’m having my haircut later this morning, can’t wait!!

As John and I are off work this week we went to Broadstairs yesterday. Weather was worse than it was predicted a couple of days ago 🙄 So we decided to visit a nearby shopping centre (near to Broadstairs) that’s not an enclosed one first. No queues anywhere (except for Greggs 😁) Hubby needed a new belt and a got a top for our grandson.

Then we went to our pre-booked table at Prezzo right on the seafront. Felt safe. We were in the conservatory with the door open so lots of fresh air. Tables either side empty.Paper single use menus, cutlery etc bought to the table after we sat down. Contactless payment. We weren’t intending on going to a restaurant so soon but many we go to haven’t reopened yet so we thought we ought to give this one our support.

Although very overcast it was quite warm so we had a nice walk along the seafront before we went back home.

• Like 5

All this mention of haircuts.  Sunny and warm today, so I will go into the garden, take my shirt off, spark up the clippers and cut my own hair!  Been doing that for over 20 years, must have paid for at least a 2 week cruise!

More importantly (for me), got the brake fluid changed and a short service on the car for less than half the cost of a main dealer.

3 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

More importantly (for me), got the brake fluid changed and a short service on the car for less than half the cost of a main dealer.

During the shutdown I started drinking brake fluid. Why wife says I have become addicted to it, but I tell her I can stop anytime.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I was born the end of April 1947 in Staines Middlesex. I was  stunned when I saw the photos from that time. I remember one in particular. It was of a telephone box that was completely buried in snow with a path cut through the snow leading to it. Amazing. 

Avril 

I was born in October 1963 so think I win in terms of the worst weather ever as 19y3 was a record breaker ..... and it means I am as old as Dr Who  😉

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

My wife left me because of my gambling... But its OK, I will win her back... 

I thought my wife was joking when she said she was going to leave me because i wouldn’t stop singing

“Im a believer”...

but then i saw her face :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, kalos said:

I thought my wife was joking when she said she was going to leave me because i wouldn’t stop singing

“Im a believer”...

but then i saw her face :classic_unsure:

My wife left me for a fishmonger... 

Gutted... 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I was born in October 1963 so think I win in terms of the worst weather ever as 19y3 was a record breaker ..... and it means I am as old as Dr Who  😉

1963 I can remember. 1947, not so much😆

Avril 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

My wife left me for a fishmonger... 

Gutted... 

Things must be looking positive for cruising again if you're putting your new script together Andy. 😁

Avril 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

She really left me because of my obsession with pasta... 

I'm feeling cannelloni right now 😊

I haven't spoke to my wife four 3 weeks now ...

I dont like to interrupt her.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle asked me to pass her lipstick but I gave her a glue stick... 

She still isn't talking to me😊

Not talking  .. I'd make her stick to it Andy .

• Haha 1