P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

There are so many bad stories about people not being able to get appointments with their GP that I really like our doctors. I rang at 8:00 and got a voice message that I  was number 5 in the queue, by 8:05 I was speaking to a receptionist and I have an appointment for 9:00, this is the typical sort of service that we get.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

There are so many bad stories about people not being able to get appointments with their GP that I really like our doctors. I rang at 8:00 and got a voice message that I  was number 5 in the queue, by 8:05 I was speaking to a receptionist and I have an appointment for 9:00, this is the typical sort of service that we get.

We all want to live near you !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Perhaps you live in an healthy part of the city. Our surgery is pretty good though and highly rated. You can book appointments online via the NHS app which is quite useful. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Perhaps you live in an healthy part of the city. Our surgery is pretty good though and highly rated. You can book appointments online via the NHS app which is quite useful. 

I once asked why we can't book appointments through the NHS app and was told that by having to phone we are triaged about our symptoms which helps to make the appointment with the most suitable person.  It seems to work very well and we can always get a same day appointment. 

I had my prescription sent to the pharmacy next door to the surgery and by the time I walked in the pharmacy it was ready and waiting. 

The senior pharmacist asked if I was going to be volunteering in there for the flu and covid vaccinations again this year which they are hoping to start in the first week of October,  she is going to text me with the date when they know for certain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

I once asked why we can't book appointments through the NHS app and was told that by having to phone we are triaged about our symptoms which helps to make the appointment with the most suitable person.  It seems to work very well and we can always get a same day appointment. 

I had my prescription sent to the pharmacy next door to the surgery and by the time I walked in the pharmacy it was ready and waiting. 

The senior pharmacist asked if I was going to be volunteering in there for the flu and covid vaccinations again this year which they are hoping to start in the first week of October,  she is going to text me with the date when they know for certain.

Sounds like great service. Booking an appointment by the app allows you to choose the most appropriate person for your needs rather than receptionist choosing for you. Not sure which is best. 

• Like 3

That is fine if you have a smart phone etc.  I am pretty annoyed with my surgery at present - to get your repeat prescriptions you have to use the app. or go to the surgery; not allowed to phone for them!  How many people, mainly older and maybe more or less housebound, do not have a smart phone, and find it difficult or impossible to make a trip  to the surgery?  I don't think they have thought this through - it is not a lot of fun phoning and holding on, but a lot easier than traipsing to the surgery (in my case by car) just to get your repeat prescriptions.  I need to get in touch with their manager, as my family agree with me that this is unacceptable.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is fine if you have a smart phone etc. 

My doctors practice runs the same as Josy's and are very good and more often than not

can be seen the same day .

They use System Online patient app. This can be used on a laptop as well as a smartphone.

I can book tablets ,change chemist  but they choose not to have make an appointment active .

Once I have booked my medication I  have the chemist to deliver them , they also put 

all the tablets into a weekly pill flexi pack .

Maybe you could enquire next time at you doctors and get them to set up an account 

that  they would send you an e-mail where you can set up desktop short cut or app ?

At least once a year the system stops me ordering until I have had a medication review ,

which I think is a good thing as well .

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is fine if you have a smart phone etc.  I am pretty annoyed with my surgery at present - to get your repeat prescriptions you have to use the app. or go to the surgery; not allowed to phone for them!  How many people, mainly older and maybe more or less housebound, do not have a smart phone, and find it difficult or impossible to make a trip  to the surgery?  I don't think they have thought this through - it is not a lot of fun phoning and holding on, but a lot easier than traipsing to the surgery (in my case by car) just to get your repeat prescriptions.  I need to get in touch with their manager, as my family agree with me that this is unacceptable.

The whole world is doing this now, everything from GPs, cruise ships to supermarkets where there are few staff at check outs any more. I agree that they take no account of anyone who can’t cope with or don’t have the technology.

Everyone is supposed to be computer literate and also own a smart phone.

Im not ancient but I went through school with pen and paper and laterally a VATman calculator which was at the time an amazing bit of new technology (for those who don’t know it was a very big but very basic calculator).

I started work with pen and paper and had to learn about computers in the 80s when they began to come into the workplace. Now I went on to be pretty adept using them, analytics etc but that was all work related.

Now if someone my age was in an occupation which did not require them to become computer literate what are they supposed to do. it seems the world seems to think tough luck.

Add to this group of older people those who are illiterate or perhaps have dyslexia which affects use and there is a substantial group being disenfranchised.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I assume you should be able to use a pc, laptop or tablet to order your prescriptions, if you dont have a smart phone.

• Like 2

Currently stuck outside Clapham Junction on the first of my four trains up to Newmarket.  No seats of any description and standing from Salisbury for 1 1/2 hours.  My next train after the tube is Kings Cross to Cambridge so I'm hoping I might actually get a seat on that one although ominously I couldn't reserve one which I normally do.  If that ends up.standing too I might ditch train 4 and take the bus to Newmarket as at least I can use my bus pass and get a seat.

What a terrible mess the trains have become  - used to be a 9 car train to London from Exeter now only 6 because apparently capacity isn't needed since the pandemic ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume you should be able to use a pc, laptop or tablet to order your prescriptions, if you dont have a smart phone.

Agreed if you can log into here ,then you can use a  patient system .

My doctors gave me a username  and invited me to set a password and was given a link 

like this to save to desktop   https://systmonline.tpp-uk.com/2/Login?Date=20230817113810

I can put in requests for double up tablets if going away ,without the need for tying 

up phonelines /reception time . The system is so easy to use and follow .

• Like 1

In any case, my view still applies, quite a lot of people will be greatly inconvenienced if the situation does not change.  I must get in touch with them to sort it out - you can order ordinary prescriptions by phone, just not the regular repeat ones!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

I could certainly use my laptop, and used to use Systmonline with them for ages, but they no longer accept it, as I found out the first time I tried to use it for doing the reorder.

What a shame they stopped using it .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Ours is like that too, if you ring on the day you usually get an appointment on the day or at the very least a call back from a Dr. We are very lucky because there are some horror stories about Drs appointments 

Michelle

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Our surgery is the same, everything can be done online.The only time we need to phone is if we need an appointment straightaway. 

Avril

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I could certainly use my laptop, and used to use Systmonline with them for ages, but they no longer accept it, as I found out the first time I tried to use it for doing the reorder.

That happened to me, and I phoned the surgery to enquire. They had updated their system, and told me how to get to their new page on line. Give them a call and they should be able to sort it out.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Would your pharmacy put the prescription request through for you?  My Mum gets her medication in Boots and when she collects it she asks them to put it through the following month for her and that seems to work - it saves her a trip to the surgery (she doesn't have a smart phone or computer to order online)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

Would your pharmacy put the prescription request through for you?  My Mum gets her medication in Boots and when she collects it she asks them to put it through the following month for her and that seems to work - it saves her a trip to the surgery (she doesn't have a smart phone or computer to order online)

Yes the pharmacy can do that. If meds are regular and stable the GP can give the pharmacy a 52 week repeat dispensing prescription and they simply dispense each month with no need to contact the GP. The break is to check if test are required after each year, the meds are still appropriate etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

We were faced with a similar situation and given Airmid as the app to use, but I could never remember my password, however I did find a new link to systmonline from my surgery's website under "repeat prescriptions" and it still works, maybe you could checkout your surgery website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1