P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Went to Lakeside this morning,got gifts in Boots for kids and grandkids,not one human till,just machines.What with 3 for 2 offers,200 points for green parcel stickered items and a load of vouchers for other things,no chance.A reluctant pharmacy till lady took our goods doing us a big favour,lol.Luckily we were there at 10 so not busy.

We went to M&S food shopping this morning and there wad only 1 human till open.  We joined the queue because I foolishly used one of the self service tills last week and I had to ask the young lady to come and sort it out when it wouldn't accept my debit card, I was annoyed when she said that that particular till only accepted cash and I didn't have enough cash so she told me to go to the human till.  The same young lady was walking along the the human till queue today asking people to go and use the self service tills when I declined she said that she understood that "elderly people" were reluctant to use technology but that she thinks that our M&S will switch to all self service tills in the new year.

I did point out that I had no problem with technology but M&S's technology is very poor and that I didn't think that she should be insulting people simply because they were over 60.

• Like 20

2 hours ago, kalos said:

It's like a disease that happens anywhere ,airports, check your own cases in and scan your own passports ,download your own tickets ,even at railway stations .

They like to blame folk with online shopping for this automation but how does that work when

your stood in the supermarket ? I don't remember saying get rid of the checkout girl and replace with a machine .

You put through a bottle of wine and it says "wait until a human comes" and checks your over 18 .

A few minutes go by and it says "wait until a human comes" to check you are not a glue sniffer when you buy some wood glue . A few minutes later  "Unexpected item in bagging area " All because you wanted to buy a bottle of Blue Nun . Fair enough, I normally wouldn't buy it but you need something for guests who overstay their welcome . Besides it is NOT  a unexpected item as I put it there so I could buy it . 

If I was buying for the kids a "my little pony " and I had picked up by mistake .... 

UNEXPECTED_ITEM.jpg.daa74c2e7162eb508b9870200a199683.jpg 

Then fair enough !  🙃

Looks like he's drunk that blue nun Kalos.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We went to M&S food shopping this morning and there wad only 1 human till open.  We joined the queue because I foolishly used one of the self service tills last week and I had to ask the young lady to come and sort it out when it wouldn't accept my debit card, I was annoyed when she said that that particular till only accepted cash and I didn't have enough cash so she told me to go to the human till.  The same young lady was walking along the the human till queue today asking people to go and use the self service tills when I declined she said that she understood that "elderly people" were reluctant to use technology but that she thinks that our M&S will switch to all self service tills in the new year.

I did point out that I had no problem with technology but M&S's technology is very poor and that I didn't think that she should be insulting people simply because they were over 60.

If i only have a few things I don’t mind using the self serve tills but I I have more I like to use the “proper” tills. Having to use a mobility scooter too makes it difficult to use the self serve tills as there is not usually much room. Booths has recently got rid of all their self serve tills.

Michelle

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We got a bus in Banff back to the hotel. Hi..2 to Banff springs please, one of them a senior...only one senior sir...thanks a lot said DW.🤣

Gail and Pauline look much younger than you and me John.

Someone thought Pauline was my daughter once 😂😭

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Hi Josy was this at Wolstanton? We were in there yesterday and even in the main store they are now asking how you are paying. If you are paying by card you are directed to a bank of self serve tills,no explanation how to use, we had to call for someone to come because we wanted a gift receipt so an assistant came and did the transaction for us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

she said that she understood that "elderly people" were reluctant to use technology

That seems to be a dreadfully discriminatory, derogatory and ageist remark. The people who invented what she refers to as "technology" are now elderly!

But there is hope... with time she may develop compassion, understanding, consideration, wisdom and an attitude of fairness towards others... it tends to come with age.

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

That seems to be a dreadfully discriminatory, derogatory and ageist remark. The people who invented what she refers to as "technology" are now elderly!

But there is hope... with time she may develop compassion, understanding, consideration, wisdom and an attitude of fairness towards others... it tends to come with age.

Not just discriminatory, derogatory and ageist but M and S discriminatory, derogatory and ageist. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Hi Josy was this at Wolstanton? We were in there yesterday and even in the main store they are now asking how you are paying. If you are paying by card you are directed to a bank of self serve tills,no explanation how to use, we had to call for someone to come because we wanted a gift receipt so an assistant came and did the transaction for us.

Maybe it is the M and S way of persuading shoppers to use cash and not a card.

Mind you, in the last month, I have tried to buy things in other shops where there are no self service tills. After waiting a few minutes for someone to come to the till to serve, I and others in the queue left the items we wanted to buy on the counter and walked out without them.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I have a broken bone in my hand and am excused Christmas tree duty this year....I was so looking forward to it.🤣

Sorry to hear this John.

All of the tree ornaments have special meanings and some were bought from all over the world. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear this John.

All of the tree ornaments have special meanings and some were bought from all over the world. 

We have a few, like the rastaclaus we got in Jamaica. I can still look at them Graham. My son is going into the loft to get them all out on Saturday. Gail and him will decorate the tree....I am allowed to supervise .🧑‍🎄🎅

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I have a broken bone in my hand and am excused Christmas tree duty this year....I was so looking forward to it.🤣

Does this also excuse you from helping cook Christmas dinner? Or will you be fully recovered in time? And what about opening the Christmas sherry?? 

• Like 3

On 12/4/2023 at 5:42 PM, Splice the mainbrace said:

We’re just coming back up across Biscay from our Queen Victoria Canaries cruise. The ship is a bit rocky today but only 3 to 4 metre swell which is a lot less than people have experienced during November but more than we had on the way down 10 days ago.

It’s been a very relaxing enjoyable cruise and we dock in Southampton on Wednesday. I know that this is a P&O forum but I’ll put some overall summary thoughts about the cruise and Cunard when I get back because some who read this thread cruise on Cunard or may be considering it.

We’re back safe and sound from our Queen Victoria cruise to the Canaries. The drive up from Southampton to Cheshire on Wednesday was easy with good dry roads and light traffic, although between Swindon and Gloucester was thick fog.

This was our second cruise on Queen Victoria in 5 months and found the overall experience very good. Some notes below:

- at the Mayflower terminal check in and embarkation was well organised. We arrived at the terminal at 12.15 just as Queens Grill passengers were being called, the waiting area was full with QG, PG, Diamond and Platinum (which we are). We didn’t have to wait for check in as there were several desks available, then we had to wait for only about 10 minutes to be called. For security there was another 10 minute wait but we were fortunate that we were one of the first of the Platinum category and we’re on board by 1.00 pm, it would be a longer wait for those at the back of the queue but I guess that all priority boarding would be on board by about 1.15pm.

- The ship is in good condition and the Christmas decorations enhanced the interior. Some minor observations were that our balcony furniture was peeling off its coating, the cabin toilet flush was hesitant at times once taking 10 mins to flush after giggling for that time. At times there was a drain smell in different parts of the ship.

- The staff were very good from waiting, bar, reception and cleaners. They were cheery, polite and efficient.

- The quality of the food was good both in the mdr and buffet. However in the mdr in the evening there was only a choice of 3 main course non veggie on menu choices but every night there was something that I wanted, I presume if there was nothing that you wanted a steak or salmon etc could be provided? The steaks were not very good though, on the first night I had steak Diane and it was very thin like a what supermarkets call sizzle steaks, it was tender though. My wife and 2 others next to us ordered sirloin steak on another evening and all were not cooked to the correct preference. Medium/rare was medium/well done and medium was well done, the replacement that my wife got was full of sinew, again the sirloin steaks were thin. The evening menu choices were a bit strange at times, no curry’s then 3 nights in a row, lamb one night then another lamb dish the next and the same for venison at another time, I like both but 2 nights in a row?

- We only went to 2 shows, one was a Christmas theme which we enjoyed. The Queens room had a band and ballroom dancers most nights, but other musical acts also performed there including a superb 60s style band on the last night. What is the silent disco all about though, it’s hardly silent with participants singing along loudly and mostly badly😂

- Disembarkation was very straight forward, we had a time of 8.20 and got straight off. We found our luggage easily, walked to the cps parking area and were on our way within 15 mins.

Overall a very good pre Christmas relaxing cruise, now back to tidying the garden from all of the fallen leaves and putting up the Christmas decorations.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Does this also excuse you from helping cook Christmas dinner? Or will you be fully recovered in time? And what about opening the Christmas sherry?? 

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately we are going to a restaurant for Christmas lunch. I will probably be OK for hacking off a few chunks of turkey and ham on boxing  day. Opening the wine bottles may be difficult, but I'll manage.🤣

• Like 9

Pretty fair day so far here weather wise, much better now it has warmed up. We went into Barnsley today instead of tomorrow as family are coming for breakfast tomorrow, not happy that I had to pay for parking as it is free on Saturday, it may take a while to get over that one. The Christmas market was buzzing and the cafes were fairly full. There was definitely a Christmas feel to things.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately we are going to a restaurant for Christmas lunch. I will probably be OK for hacking off a few chunks of turkey and ham on boxing  day. Opening the wine bottles may be difficult, but I'll manage.🤣

As long as you can open the wine!!! That’s the main thing!! Hope you have a lovely time on Christmas Day

Michelle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1