P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Happy Easter to you all. It’s lovely and warm in my garden and as someone said earlier it’s surreal thinking of what’s going on outside of my little bubble,

Just had video call with my son and grandson so that was lovely.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We are always quite happy to eat breakfast in the buffet, and not just because the MDR is normally closed by the time we are ready to eat. The food selection and quality is quite good, and amazingly we very rarely see any of bad manners and habits that so many on here refer to.

Are we just lucky or does the buffet suffer from the snobbish attitude of so many pretentious passengers?

Agree with you John,We tend to have breakfast in the buffet as there is more choice, particularly of the 'continental' type of breakfast that we prefer and we rarely see any 'poor manners' that others speak of.We enjoy eating our evening meal in the MDR and vary lunch venue according to our plans for the day.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We are always quite happy to eat breakfast in the buffet, and not just because the MDR is normally closed by the time we are ready to eat. The food selection and quality is quite good, and amazingly we very rarely see any of bad manners and habits that so many on here refer to.

Are we just lucky or does the buffet suffer from the snobbish attitude of so many pretentious passengers?

We had one bad experience with the infamous 'bun sniffer', but, in general, we find it OK. 

We do tend to use the mdr more, but only because we like being waited on wherever possible. 

Andy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Happy Easter to you all. It’s lovely and warm in my garden and as someone said earlier it’s surreal thinking of what’s going on outside of my little bubble,

Just had video call with my son and grandson so that was lovely.

Happy Easter Sue, have a lovely day. 

Andy 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The food selection and quality is quite good, and amazingly we very rarely see any of bad manners and habits that so many on here refer to.

I am possibly like you John especially at breakfast time . I'm in there as it opens and had my breakfast before half 

the ship has even thought of getting out of bed . So if there is any bad manners or  habits, I'm long gone and  out of there .

12 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Agree with you John,We tend to have breakfast in the buffet as there is more choice, particularly of the 'continental' type of breakfast that we prefer and we rarely see any 'poor manners' that others speak of.We enjoy eating our evening meal in the MDR and vary lunch venue according to our plans for the day.

We do the same. There does seem to be some snobbery involved when people say that they will never eat in the buffet. There is the occasional example of bad manners, but we have experienced much worse in the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Happy Easter everyone from a greyer Stoke on Trent. (That's not our hair colour by the way, but the sky)

Have a great day

Thunder storm possible later today which will be a bit different.

Thanks for keeping the noise down during your party/barbecue yesterday Presto. Didn’t hear a thing. 😇😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thunder storm possible later today which will be a bit different.

Thanks for keeping the noise down during your party/barbecue yesterday Presto. Didn’t hear a thing. 😇😉

Will break up the monotony ….

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

We do the same. There does seem to be some snobbery involved when people say that they will never eat in the buffet. There is the occasional example of bad manners, but we have experienced much worse in the MDR.

We eat in the buffet from time to time, particularly breakfast on port days when we want to get ashore as soon as we can. Bad habits ,like filling up water bottles,picking things up to examine and then putting them back,letting children roam around picking stuff up does happen. It's not "snobbish" to view these practices as antisocial and downright disrespectful to fellow guests who would prefer not to get I'll.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We eat in the buffet from time to time, particularly breakfast on port days when we want to get ashore as soon as we can. Bad habits ,like filling up water bottles,picking things up to examine and then putting them back,letting children roam around picking stuff up does happen. It's not "snobbish" to view these practices as antisocial and downright disrespectful to fellow guests who would prefer not to get I'll.

That is why we always eat in MDR we preferred to be waited upon and do not like the "push and shove and queuing".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is why we always eat in MDR we preferred to be waited upon and do not like the "push and shove and queuing".

I don't recognise that description of the  buffet. As you always eat in the MDR, how do you know what happens in the buffet?

Just now, wowzz said:

I don't recognise that description of the  buffet. As you always eat in the MDR, how do you know what happens in the buffet?

Because quite simply its a choice we made many cruises ago after experiencing the buffet which after all is the same breakfast and lunch. People queuing and pushing and shoving and by the time you get back to your table it is cold or lukewarm at best. No sorry been there tried the t-shirt its not for us. Comfort and waiter service and not having to walk around looking for a vacant table.

• Like 2

Was once on Aurora and we went to the buffet for afternoon tea and we waited behind an old lady and even though there was signs above every tray of sandwiches  saying what they were she repeatedly picked up sandwiches off every tray and opened them up to see what was inside and then put them back on the tray. You then wonder why there is often sickness on ships and people unbeknown to them what others have done prior to them choosing food. No thanks its nothing do with with snobbery just appalling manners of some that puts us off.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I wouldn't mind using the MDR for lunch, but the menu is so limited, and, to be honest, downright boring, that I take my chances in the buffet.

I understand all the reasons for not using the buffet and we do tend to use the mdr much more, but you can't beat seeing all the lovely food laid out. 

As for pushing and shoving, never seen it... 

Andy 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I wouldn't mind using the MDR for lunch, but the menu is so limited, and, to be honest, downright boring, that I take my chances in the buffet.

Thanking a chance with your health is completely your choice. Taking a chance with my health and my wife's is a chance too far in this day and age. When cruising starts again, that choice may not be yours to take. The "Self service buffet" may not exist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I am possibly like you John especially at breakfast time . I'm in there as it opens and had my breakfast before half 

the ship has even thought of getting out of bed . So if there is any bad manners or  habits, I'm long gone and  out of there .

We always get room service at breakfast and eat it on our balcony.

Happy Easter everyone.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Never had any problems getting anything to our liking in MDR and with the amount of food being served throughout the day find a light lunch or just one course or soup and desert enough for us in MDR especially after having a full breakfast in there.

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We always get room service at breakfast and eat it on our balcony.

Happy Easter everyone.

Not that I'm a snob, but it's best to get the Butler to bring it to your suite. At the moment it's probable best not to tell him to blow on your tea if it's a bit hot.😁

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Not that I'm a snob, but it's best to get the Butler to bring it to your suite. At the moment it's probable best not to tell him to blow on your tea if it's a bit hot.😁

The Butler only blows on your tea if you tip him.

This was our Suite on Oceana.

IMG-20181204-WA0000.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Twogreynomads said:

I was sure you said it was a formal night

image.jpeg

Who on earth managed to snap picture of me in my formal wear last night?  Those darned paparazzi !!! Is nothing private? 😁

Avril 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2