P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

My son worked for Amazon for a while, he likes driving and liked the independence of being out on the road being almost his own boss. However the hours were appalling and there were no special lunch breaks, he’d munch a sandwich between drops and knew where all the toilets were on his route. 

A couple of months ago he changed his nice cushy job at Sainsbury’s to move to being a delivery driver for Sainsbury’s. The money is better and he works shifts but it’s not as bad as Amazon, he often left home at 7am and didn’t get home until 9pm- 11pm! Also he had to keep the van outside our house, bet that pleased our neighbours! 

It's a pity they don't have to install tachograghs into their vans. That would put a spanner in the works. I don't know how they can get away with it.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

But people don’t have to do it. The FM is suggesting that if you don’t need to mix then don’t. If 75% think it is a bad idea then they can stay home and will contribute to reducing any potential spread.

I have to say that having a family member to visit at home on Christmas Day with the windows open and at a decent distance has to be far, far safer that sitting in a restaurant, pub or cafe with complete strangers which people have been doing all year.

It has always annoyed me that I can’t see anyone here but a few miles up the road I could (but have not)  meet them amongst a bunch of complete strangers in an environment where I don’t control the ventilation or cleanliness.

I think that the 4 nations are right to try to put some sort of lid on this otherwise it would have been a complete free for all.

The sensibles among us will and have always done the right thing and have missed family and friends dearly by adherence to government instructions.

As shown in these illegal raves and massive mixing in city centres when pubs closed etc it is the minority who spoil it for everyone and 5 days of free for all over Xmas will undoubtedly affect us again in January with more lockdowns following a spike in infections and deaths.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Not trying to go political , I just want to know ,could it have been done any better ? :classic_unsure:

Now I'm thinking there's a bit of reverse psychology going on here. Everything that's been advised  by the government and the scientists  so far has had the opposite effect. ''I'll do as I please, if I want to go out I will. No-one's telling me what to do''   So......

Boris now says that three families are allowed to mix together over Christmas for 5 days.

'' Oh I don't know about that. Do you think we should? It might not be safe. I know we can if we want to, but I'm not sure. Maybe we shouldn't risk it'' 

I've been listening to a lot of the publics' reaction on the news and it seems to me not many are agreeing with Boris over this. No surprise, so it might just work. Well it worked on us when we were young didn't it😁

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

The sensibles among us will and have always done the right thing and have missed family and friends dearly by adherence to government instructions.

As shown in these illegal raves and massive mixing in city centres when pubs closed etc it is the minority who spoil it for everyone and 5 days of free for all over Xmas will undoubtedly affect us again in January with more lockdowns following a spike in infections and deaths.

Absolutely but then those who would ignore the rules would just ignore them and do their own thing anyway. This way at least those who have and will follow the rules have some latitude to use (or choose not to use) in a sensible manner.

It won’t quite be a free for all up here as the levels will still apply to hospitality for example and there is no relaxation for pubs, I believe yours can now open until 11 pm in some areas.

The FM is also still contemplating what 3  households will include. Talk is that the current support bubbles which have been in place for months and counted as 1 household will count as 2 over Christmas so in effect we only get 1 extra. Damage limitation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

This may sound harsh, but I will not be mixing with any of my children( I have six) and although they are all adults I don't think it is fair to spend it with just two of them.

After having had covid19 I would never forgive myself if I passed this horrible virus on.

I usually bring our lovely niece  to ours on Xmas day but as a key worker mixing with lots of people she begged us not to invite her although she desperately wants to come.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, assuming your view is correct, then do you know who made the same errors of judgement in most other countries in the World?

As someone who knows a lot of people in County Durham through work and living here Harry is absolutely right Cummings actions changed everything and Boris condoning it was the final straw.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks John.

After losing 7lb in weight I feel a little weak but it was good to get out even though I stopped in the car.

Just take things steady Graham, When you feel weak let Pauline do the driving in her car if need be.

Your body has just been put through hell and knowing you have a heart problem , it needs all the help it can get. A year on and I still haven't got  my voice back to normal and I too can feel weak or tired .

On your good days have a little drive but always listen to your body.

Enjoy sat watching your lovely sea view and keep getting better :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Can I gently say that I think you are being a tad harsh?  I certainly don't think that what Ardennais implied that he/she thought people were at home every evening getting stoned etc.

Thank you! It certainly wasn’t my intention as I said before. Alcohol doesn’t really feature in our life and certainly not at home but I’m not anti-alcohol at all. It’s the way we were bought up. 

And to answer the question asked - I don’t drink tea, just coffee and lots of bitter lemon!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Thank you! It certainly wasn’t my intention as I said before. Alcohol doesn’t really feature in our life and certainly not at home but I’m not anti-alcohol at all. It’s the way we were bought up. 

And to answer the question asked - I don’t drink tea, just coffee and lots of bitter lemon!

I like a St Clements myself. Fresh orange juice and bitter lemon mixed, nice sharp drink.

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It most certainly wasn't my intention to offend you Ardennais and if my remark came across that way, as it did to Mrsgroggins, then I apologise. It was  only mean't to be tongue-in-cheek, but as I have said before, I have an odd sense of humour. It's not to everyone's taste, just like tea. I'm a coffee drinker too,  I can't stand tea😊

Avril

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

It's a pity they don't have to install tachograghs into their vans. That would put a spanner in the works. I don't know how they can get away with it.

Avril

Tachographs not required for vehicles below 3.5 tons, most delivery vans don’t meet that weight so not needed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Now I'm thinking there's a bit of reverse psychology going on here. Everything that's been advised  by the government and the scientists  so far has had the opposite effect. ''I'll do as I please, if I want to go out I will. No-one's telling me what to do''   So......

Boris now says that three families are allowed to mix together over Christmas for 5 days.

'' Oh I don't know about that. Do you think we should? It might not be safe. I know we can if we want to, but I'm not sure. Maybe we shouldn't risk it'' 

I've been listening to a lot of the publics' reaction on the news and it seems to me not many are agreeing with Boris over this. No surprise, so it might just work. Well it worked on us when we were young didn't it😁

Avril

We are spending Christmas at home, this year we were due to got to my step daughter’s but have decided to postpone Christmas dinner until Easter, presents will be dropped off in a socially distanced way. We have 6 children between us, so it’s difficult enough at normal Christmas’s. 

As for Johnson, stopped listening to him a long time ago, more sense comes from the respective leaders in Scotland and Wales. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

As someone who knows a lot of people in County Durham through work and living here Harry is absolutely right Cummings actions changed everything and Boris condoning it was the final straw.

Was an earlier straw the chap and his wife who flew from London to Scotland to self isolate?. One rule for....and all that.,🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Was an earlier straw the chap and his wife who flew from London to Scotland to self isolate?. One rule for....and all that.,🤔

If you practice what you preach most people will respect this.

Once anyone says you have to do this then think it doesn't apply to them people lose respect for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

That’s ok. My grandmother put me off tea for life. It was so strong, you could stand a spoon in it. 

Thank you. I don't like to upset or offend anyone and I was worried to think that I may have unintentionally offended you. I think I'd better be careful with my humour in future😉

On to the drink discussion. The only tea I'll drink is green tea , jasmine or chrysanthemum. Coffee is my love. I can remember the first time Itried coffee, I was about 6 and pinched a drink out of dad's big pint pot. Lovely.

Avril

• Haha 1

Takes a lot to offend me, I have a thick skin having been a teacher for years and years! 
We who live in this so-called United Kingdom (!!) have been shaped by our upbringing and our localities and have differing perspectives, traditions, customs, language etc They make us what we are today. That’s why it’s really difficult to legislate centrally and why I personally welcome devolution. What works in one place doesn’t always work elsewhere. I love reading about your lives around the country and hope that I can at least contribute something about my part of the country. 

• Like 4