P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Has everybody got their heads around  the "Christmas Bubbles " yet ?

The way I read them is ..

A family of 3 adult children decide to spend  time  with Mum & Dad for Christmas day .

Am I right in thinking they would have to turn one of them away ?

Unless one was at Uni  and normally lived with the parents then this could happen ?

Meanwhile next door to them live a family of 8  and their eldest daughter who moved 

out decides to come home for Christmas with her hubby and two kids .

Also they decide grandma & granddad who live over the road can come over on 

Christmas day .

There seems to be no limit to the capacity , just 3 bubbles  unless I have missed something .

So the next door can have 13  meanwhile the family of 5 must turn on of their kids away .

Meanwhile the small local pub must remain closed ?

Only advice I see is you do not have to keep your space but just be careful within these 

bubbles .

Not trying to go political , I just want to know ,could it have been done any better ? :classic_unsure:

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

A family of 3 adult children decide to spend  time  with Mum & Dad for Christmas day .

Unless one was at Uni  and normally lived with the parents then this could happen ?

Meanwhile next door to them live a family of 8  and their eldest daughter who moved 

Christmas day .

There seems to be no limit to the capacity , just 3 bubbles  unless I have missed something .

So the next door can have 13  meanwhile the family of 5 must turn on of their kids away .

Only advice I see is you do not have to keep your space but just be careful within these 

bubbles .

Not trying to go political , I just want to know ,could it have been done any better ? :classic_unsure:

It is a shambles.

Small family meet ups to exchange presents on Xmas Eve or Xmas day would be sensible especially when the vaccines are very close but 5 days? a massive amount of spreading this virus looks inevitable.

In polls 75% think it is a bad idea but do they listen?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Christmas day .

bubbles .

Any government edict that forces families to choose between family members at Christmas (or any other time) is fundamentally flawed. One solution, which goes against my liberal grain, is no family gatherings this year, sticking with existing bubbles for those on their own.

We're now pretty confident that we're close to a solution and a normal Christmas should be possible next year, with more family mixing achievable before that. Surely most of us could grit our teeth until then?

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It is a shambles.

Small family meet ups to exchange presents on Xmas Eve or Xmas day would be sensible especially when the vaccines are very close but 5 days? a massive amount of spreading this virus looks inevitable.

In polls 75% think it is a bad idea but do they listen?

But people don’t have to do it. The FM is suggesting that if you don’t need to mix then don’t. If 75% think it is a bad idea then they can stay home and will contribute to reducing any potential spread.

I have to say that having a family member to visit at home on Christmas Day with the windows open and at a decent distance has to be far, far safer that sitting in a restaurant, pub or cafe with complete strangers which people have been doing all year.

It has always annoyed me that I can’t see anyone here but a few miles up the road I could (but have not)  meet them amongst a bunch of complete strangers in an environment where I don’t control the ventilation or cleanliness.

I think that the 4 nations are right to try to put some sort of lid on this otherwise it would have been a complete free for all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

The fresh air will do you the power of good, blow those cobwebs away. Pauline drove I hope? Well she must have done, otherwise you would have been in Barnard Castle instead of the beach😁

Avril

Why Barnard Castle, are Graham's eyes affected by Covid ? 😄😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I drove.

Pauline popped into her gov office with envelopes with money in for collections for staff leaving then we got a couple of Mcmuffins and coffee from McDonald's and now looking out to sea,48f and cloudy.

Paulines small Clio is in the garage and she only feels comfortable driving that.

Very happy that you now feel well enough to go out again Graham, but don't over do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

We're now pretty confident that we're close to a solution and a normal Christmas should be possible next year, with more family mixing achievable before that. Surely most of us could grit our teeth until then?

Apart from the elderly living alone. Their mental health is bad enough already - they might not even be around next Christmas. 

I think the answer is for people  to be sensible, rather than try and impose nonsensical rules.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Christmas day .

bubbles .

Kalos. Well done. As usual you understand all this stuff. One question, will snow white AND the seven dwarfs be ok?. If one of them has to stay away, he may be Grumpy.😁🤔

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Apart from the elderly living alone. Their mental health is bad enough already - they might not even be around next Christmas. 

I think the answer is for people  to be sensible, rather than try and impose nonsensical rules.

“Sensible” is very subjective.  What I think is sensible you might think is too liberal or too straight laced. 

I do agree that some of the rules seem nonsensical.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Any government edict that forces families to choose between family members at Christmas (or any other time) is fundamentally flawed. One solution, which goes against my liberal grain, is no family gatherings this year, sticking with existing bubbles for those on their own.

My personal view is that it is too risky to have a "normal" Christmas this year so I have already told my sisters not to invite us to their houses as we intend to have a quiet Christmas and New Year with just the two of us in our own home. My husband's sister has done the same, she usually has a party on Boxing Day for her brothers and sister and partners.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Kalos. Well done. As usual you understand all this stuff. One question, will snow white AND the seven dwarfs be ok?. If one of them has to stay away, he may be Grumpy.😁🤔

Well, all we can be sure of is that he won't be Happy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Mixing with all those people isn't compulsory is it ?. Cinderella can go to the ball, but She doesn't have to.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Bubbles, either existing or form a new one with one family. I live alone and, when I'm not on here pontificating, have taken to discussing day-to-day matters of interest with my late cat, who died 10 years ago, so have some insight into the difficulties of the current situation...  Gratifyingly, he always agrees with me...

There is no perfect solution, but if you have a couple of children living independently, plus parents still living, all of whom wish to spend Christmas with you, then you have to tell someone they are not on your priority list. I, for one, wouldn't fancy doing that.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But people don’t have to do it. The FM is suggesting that if you don’t need to mix then don’t. If 75% think it is a bad idea then they can stay home and will contribute to reducing any potential spread.

I have to say that having a family member to visit at home on Christmas Day with the windows open and at a decent distance has to be far, far safer that sitting in a restaurant, pub or cafe with complete strangers which people have been doing all year.

It has always annoyed me that I can’t see anyone here but a few miles up the road I could (but have not)  meet them amongst a bunch of complete strangers in an environment where I don’t control the ventilation or cleanliness.

I think that the 4 nations are right to try to put some sort of lid on this otherwise it would have been a complete free for all.

After having all that stuffing and sprouts, distance and open windows may be a good idea. Covid or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Mixing with all those people isn't compulsory is it ?. Cinderella can go to the ball, but She doesn't have to.

As I've said, it's not that simple if you are forced to choose between close family members. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the major flaw in the Xmas bubbles is that with restriction on being able to switch bubbles there really is very little point in allowing them to extend over 5 days. How many 3 family get togethers over Xmas extend longer than 2 days in a normal year?

Mine usually do, as close family lives all over the country so stay here for four or five days. I doubt I'm alone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the major flaw in the Xmas bubbles is that with restriction on being able to switch bubbles there really is very little point in allowing them to extend over 5 days. How many 3 family get togethers over Xmas extend longer than 2 days in a normal year?

Absolutely. Lunch at 3.00pm. Carriages at 6 and thanks for the presents.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Christmas day .

bubbles .

This may sound harsh, but I will not be mixing with any of my children( I have six) and although they are all adults I don't think it is fair to spend it with just two of them.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Most sensible people would probably agree with you. And it would be great if you could ‘Trust people to do the right thing’ as we keep hearing from certain politicians who don’t like any sort of intervention.

Unfortunately, recent weeks have shown very clearly that you certainly can’t most people to do the right thing. They do the thing that suits them best, and if challenged make any sort of excuse they can. Such as going for a drive to check their eyesight.

Christmas family celebrations may well come at a huge cost this year. Deaths of beloved older relatives and swamped hospitals from January on.  It’s madness, and being done only for political reasons. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It's an old joke that some folks won't let drop.

The reason it won’t go away is that it’s now clear that that was the point at which the population at large ceased to follow the rules and act sensibly. A heavy price has been paid for that trip to Durham and its support.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Most sensible people would probably agree with you. And it would be great if you could ‘Trust people to do the right thing’ as we keep hearing from certain politicians who don’t like any sort of intervention.

Unfortunately, recent weeks have shown very clearly that you certainly can’t most people to do the right thing. They do the thing that suits them best, and if challenged make any sort of excuse they can. Such as going for a drive to check their eyesight.

Christmas family celebrations may well come at a huge cost this year. Deaths of beloved older relatives and swamped hospitals from January on.  It’s madness, and being done only for political reasons. 

Harry, every single Govt decision is essentially made for political reasons of some sort. But if you mean this one is being done to make people feel

a little happier, then you're probably correct, but there's not much wrong with that.

Whether it will or not, or whether its advisable or not, will depend as always on how well people observe the normal covid precautions.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The reason it won’t go away is that it’s now clear that that was the point at which the population at large ceased to follow the rules and act sensibly. A heavy price has been paid for that trip to Durham and its support.

Harry, assuming your view is correct, then do you know who made the same errors of judgement in most other countries in the World?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, assuming your view is correct, then do you know who made the same errors of judgement in most other countries in the World?

Perhaps a committee in Barnard Castle, or a dinner party in Islington.