P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Which is one of the problems with our NHS, it has been made so 'efficient' that there is a lot less spare capacity in beds, equipment and staff than many other countries

I guess efficient in this context has many definitions. I went to the eye clinic at a major Surrey hospital last week. Arrived on time, 1 other person in the waiting area, eye drops,consultant, out. Not many folk waiting around. Takeaway coffee on the way out. Seemed very efficient to me, but I don't know their statistics.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

From the local Lincoln news today.

"United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust bosses have confirmed they currently have 233 COVID patients and are using 74% of their hospital capacity."

Once again, I’m afraid, I must ask you to check your sources of information, particularly in view of your earlier reference to fake news.

ULHT has a total bed capacity of around 1100 beds, after increasing it from 920 earlier in the year, according to its Chief Executive.

233 additional Covid patients is over 20% of that total capacity. It’s an addition to the normal numbers of patients. It does not mean that they’re operating at 74% capacity. The figure is very close to 100%, and on two recent occasions critical incidents were declared because the 100% figure had been reached.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Once again, I’m afraid, I must ask you to check your sources of information, particularly in view of your earlier reference to fake news.

ULHT has a total bed capacity of around 1100 beds, after increasing it from 920 earlier in the year, according to its Chief Executive.

233 additional Covid patients is over 20% of that total capacity. It’s an addition to the normal numbers of patients. It does not mean that they’re operating at 74% capacity. The figure is very close to 100%, and on two recent occasions critical incidents were declared because the 100% figure had been reached.

OK Harry - so explain to a simple chap like me, what 74% refers to?

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

OK Harry - so explain to a simple chap like me, what 74% refers to?

Sorry - can't help you there.  I've never seen that figure referred to directly by ULHT. 

I imagine it's simply a misinterpretation of the figures, which are that around 240 of 1100 beds normally available have been 'lost' as a result of Covid.  That would leave around that % of beds potentially available, as against the 100% that would normally be potentially available. 

35 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Which is one of the problems with our NHS, it has been made so 'efficient' that there is a lot less spare capacity in beds, equipment and staff than many other countries

You're entirely right, but the 74% occupancy rate suggested is a myth - pure fantasy.  It's around 90-95% in the NHS - far higher than in most European countries.  That might sound good, but as you and I both know, it isn't in reality, and particularly in winter or in times of crisis.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Keep an eye on Medway, which is where I live.  Infections still rising rapidly and the hospitals are struggling to keep up.

Or don't keep an eye on Medway if you would rather think that everything is ok 

There was more than 20 friends and family who kept sending WhatsApp messages to Pauline asking how I was during my recent covid19 experience.

Everyone of them are now reporting 1 or more family members are covid19 positive.

Definitely a Spike in cases.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry - can't help you there.  I've never seen that figure referred to directly by ULHT. 

I imagine it's simply a misinterpretation of the figures, which are that around 240 of 1100 beds normally available have been 'lost' as a result of Covid.  That would leave around that % of beds potentially available, as against the 100% that would normally be potentially available. 

That seems a pretty reasonable explanation,  but the quote was certainly ambiguous. 

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Wowzz  she is now based helping out in New York . she is real ,she is a nurse.

She has got family over in Ireland and USA 

All I can suggest is you join  mush world  and try to befriend her and she could tell you all about it .

I have found all this off a family friend who uses mush book , which I have no intension of discussing on these boards . I took onboard the message she is trying to get across .

Anyone who thinks it wrong /fake , then that's fine .I don't need anyone to justify it one way or the other, to me anyway .

I'm 100% in agreement with you Kalos.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Cheer up there will never another Christmas like this one .

Fast forward to Christmas morning , time to open the BIG presents :classic_smile:

Which no doubt will be 45x pack of Andrex or if your really lucky a pack of 3 ply Cushelle :classic_ohmy:

There was you thinking your loved ones were panic buying , when all along they were buying 

you a present that goes with the type of year you've had , given your situation :classic_unsure:

Enjoy ! :classic_smile:

IMG-20201105-WA0004.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm 100% in agreement with you Kalos.

How's that voice and chest of yours getting on ? Better I hope :classic_smile:

PS  I see Pauline has wrapped all your presents in the post above :classic_smile:

I wonder what she's got you ?  :classic_unsure::classic_wink::classic_biggrin:

Edited by kalos
  • Thanks 1

Well I have just been to our local Tesco Extra to do a food shop and to say I am angry and disappointed is an understatement.
It was very busy with people going in continuously. The sanitising station was set well back from the door with spray & hand gel available. About 95% of people were just walking straight past it!!! I couldn’t believe it, I just wanted to tell them to stop and sanitise their hands. A member of staff was stood inside welcoming people into the store so I had a word with him about someone been actually at the door checking everyone cleaned their hands. I was so angry I have emailed the store manager.

Marks & Spencer & Booths manage to ensure hands & trollies are clean why not Tesco? They should be leading the way by example been the market leader. We are just about to go into Tier 3 as well!! 

Apologies for the rant 

Michelle 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There was more than 20 friends and family who kept sending WhatsApp messages to Pauline asking how I was during my recent covid19 experience.

Everyone of them are now reporting 1 or more family members are covid19 positive.

Definitely a Spike in cases.

I didn't know you could catch it via WhatsApp 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

How's that voice and chest of yours getting on ? Better I hope :classic_smile:

My voice is almost back to normal thanks Kalos.

Day 21 since symptoms appeared and I still feel a little tired and weak.

This time last year we were on a 15 night Hawaiian cruise and I was in the gym every day lifting the heaviest weights ever.

2 weeks after our return home I had a heart attack and now I'm recovering from covid19.

Things can change very quickly even when you believe you are fit 

Covid19 is serious and everyone needs to realise this and please take care.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Well I have just been to our local Tesco Extra to do a food shop and to say I am angry and disappointed is an understatement.
It was very busy with people going in continuously. The sanitising station was set well back from the door with spray & hand gel available. About 95% of people were just walking straight past it!!! I couldn’t believe it, I just wanted to tell them to stop and sanitise their hands. A member of staff was stood inside welcoming people into the store so I had a word with him about someone been actually at the door checking everyone cleaned their hands. I was so angry I have emailed the store manager.

Marks & Spencer & Booths manage to ensure hands & trollies are clean why not Tesco? They should be leading the way by example been the market leader. We are just about to go into Tier 3 as well!! 

Apologies for the rant 

Michelle 

I emailed Tesco last week about our Tesco Extra having no one ensuring that masks were worn, social distancing and sanitiser stations with no sanitiser.  I got a reply saying that they cannot force people to social distance or wear masks and they do not have enough staff to check the sanitiser stations.  

I didn't actually do my shopping there because I walked out and went to Sainsburys when I saw how many people were not wearing masks.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My voice is almost back to normal thanks Kalos.

Day 21 since symptoms appeared and I still feel a little tired and weak.

This time last year we were on a 15 night Hawaiian cruise and I was in the gym every day lifting the heaviest weights ever.

2 weeks after our return home I had a heart attack and now I'm recovering from covid19.

Things can change very quickly even when you believe you are fit 

Covid19 is serious and everyone needs to realise this and please take care.

Graham.

Glad to hear your getting better mate but just take care as you do not know if 

anything has got weakened inside so don't push it give it time to mend.

Maybe have a cardio check up once we have had our covid  jabs :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Apologies for the rant 

Michelle 

No need to apologise Michelle. The store should make sure everyone either sanitises their hands or check to see they are wearing latex type gloves which is what I wear in a supermarket.

These people are putting yours and their own health at risk and as I have experienced covid19 myself I support yourself in your actions.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You can quote whatever you like, just as I can.

If somebody just saw your post, they might think 'oh, everything is getting better, it's fine'.

My post was to add some balance, and to  highlight that in some places, it's far from fine. - otherwise people might not realise the bigger picture.

I understand that some people don't want to know the bigger picture - but that won't stop me providing the information for anybody who might be interested! 

Highlighting local areas does not, IMHO, help people to understand the bigger picture better than looking at the UK wide situation.

32 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Apologies for the rant 

Michelle 

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I emailed Tesco last week about our Tesco Extra having no one ensuring that masks were worn, social distancing and sanitiser stations with no sanitiser.  I got a reply saying that they cannot force people to social distance or wear masks and they do not have enough staff to check the sanitiser stations.  

I didn't actually do my shopping there because I walked out and went to Sainsburys when I saw how many people were not wearing masks.

I bet if you filmed the store sanitise station ,with your E-mail response's and slapped them on Youtube and told them , then I bet they may just find someone to shout "please use the sanitiser" 

I doubt everyone would do so though .:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Glad to hear your getting better mate but just take care as you do not know if 

anything has got weakened inside so don't push it give it time to mend.

Maybe have a cardio check up once we have had our covid  jabs :classic_smile:

Thanks Kalos.

I have an eye pre op check on December 7th and think they will give me a check up then.

My 1 year anti platelet medication finishes on December 20th so I will probably get called into doctors for checks.At 64 I am a little down the list for covid19 vaccine.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The link below enables local info to be found, scroll down and add your postcode, also click view map and again add your postcode.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

This one also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

I have been using the BBC site, but having checked the government site, I can see that it gives very localised information, so I will carry on using it.

however, my local area is much worse than I previously thought - it’s literally Covid Central here. It’s difficult to understand why, as we’re not really densely populated and we have some open countryside as well.

But thanks for the link,  I will find it useful 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Highlighting local areas does not, IMHO, help people to understand the bigger picture better than looking at the UK wide situation.

I’m posting in a thread called ‘What are things like where YOU are’ 

it’s entirely appropriate to post this information.

if you aren’t interested how things are like where I am, you don’t have to read what I’m posting 

• Like 9