Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Just had a lovely walk up into the hills to a village called Vigla that was abandoned due to an earthquake,  Some lovely views along the way, including a group of curious goats.

AFCDC3F3-9F31-4C3C-980A-C8B02A1981D8.thumb.jpeg.7c32aedf6adb4cb79131fd23a45b5fc3.jpeg
C1DED406-7FDF-4887-88A8-7E5A262AD9CD.thumb.jpeg.7a9e73a91fc00edf7318a293fab29c93.jpeg

5E9D8535-A274-4046-B50B-655284FAC528.thumb.jpeg.39bd55f25f7f87754a5a34c3c1ec4393.jpeg
EEE46EC1-A203-4ADC-A830-D5257A22ED4C.thumb.jpeg.7351e1af1356ebc296b788982796de2d.jpeg

Glad you are taking us along with you. Lovely photos of the Greek countryside.

The goats were a blessing to Greece (meat and milk) but also a detriment (denuding the landscape).

But we can just enjoy their charms.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

These goats were in a pen, so not causing problems to the landscape. I think they thought we had food for them as they came running up to the fence to see us!

Of course they did!

Your photo of rocky soil and olive trees with sea in the distance reads Pure Greece.  Sigh.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

A few more photos today. The weather is not so good, so we drove down the coast to Koroni. It’s a pretty little town with a harbour and a 13th century Venetian fortress.

39B77F82-A4D1-43AE-AF19-16C2D3E3FD8A.thumb.jpeg.37e040182ca16767d588dedd775ffc5c.jpeg

Koroni from the harbour

021C2F3C-DA24-4DCD-BE1C-C639C267A538.thumb.jpeg.668363d262cbe13b3b21e12a91eb5dde.jpeg

Lovely little corner in town

AB9C279E-2C5E-4A0D-B162-EF71C8E28590.thumb.jpeg.da79056fe6ae390146541c5282afb45d.jpeg

Very colourful painting outside a cafe.

45FD39DC-F767-4695-8C22-42CEF29AC723.thumb.jpeg.0cb9805c73e146ada54cda1acd45e770.jpeg

Half way up to the fortress - lovely church66AA5A45-683B-4885-AFC9-B230714DB0EB.thumb.jpeg.4047c3ea13be71ff364f8dcb166c76be.jpeg

View of the harbour from inside the entrance to the fortress

70680B30-6F13-4DE9-86D8-AE489674B69F.thumb.jpeg.65ed445c227a3dd4235a2a194299676b.jpeg

- and from just outside the entrance.5B4EDA80-4BB9-46C7-B2B9-277EDD5735AB.thumb.jpeg.67b3df58c96f92d111a4de13117f25ca.jpeg

Sleepy cat & 3 kittens that we spotted on our way back down (can you spot the one behind the rope?)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Back home and back to normal now. 
Virus figures are rising here, despite lots of local lock-downs, a maximum group size inside or outside of 6 and pubs closing at 10 everywhere. Our area was quite good early on, but seems to be getting much worse. It’s very worrying. 
The weather is now really autumnal. Some sunny days but with a real nip in the air, and then lots of rain on other days.

I can’t say I’m looking forwards to winter. We’ll try and continue with our regular walks, weather permitting. 
Hope everyone is keeping well.

Welcome home! Cooler temperatures here too and also not looking forward to winter. Our numbers are up a bit as well, although the outbreaks have mostly been isolated and pretty easily contained, and thankfully not spread to the greater community.

Betsey

Here in Florida everything is open and cruises might restart from Miami soon.  But it isn't safe for those of us who are in high risk groups or for people who have family members who are, to go anywhere.  The virus is still infecting and killing many people every day and few people wear masks or distance. 

Edited by islandwoman

21 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Here in Florida everything is open and cruises might restart from Miami soon.  But it isn't safe for those of us who are in high risk groups or for people who have family members who are, to go anywhere.  The virus is still infecting and killing many people every day and few people wear masks or distance. 

We have a mask mandate in my state (Vermont) and pretty strict guidelines for congregating, so that has made a big difference here.

• Like 1

Here on Kauai we are waiting for the proverbial flip flop to drop.  Zero cases of Covid, but expectations are that will change when the state opens up to to transpacific visitors Oct. 15.  Officials have deemed the tanking tourist economy a greater risk than the virus, and so if you secure a negative Nucleic Acid Amplification test no more than 72 hours prior to flight, you're good to go.  Unfortunately, visitors can also opt to quarantine for 14 days instead of taking the test, and then you have the worry that others on the plane were positive, and will get that news in a few days...

Here in Melbourne Australia we have been in a relatively tight lockdown for over 3 months. We are only allowed to leave home for 4 reasons (shopping, caregiving, limited exercise and essential workers). We are not allowed to travel more than 5 kilometres for shopping or exercise and must wear masks at all times when outside. We are currently not allowed any visitors at home but can meet up to 5 people from a maximum of 2 households outdoors. Non-essential shops are closed and restaurants/cafes can only serve takeaway. Things have stabilised recently and we are down to approximately 10 new COVID cases a day and not many deaths. Hopefully we will be able to see our kids and grandkids soon.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:47 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

Back home and back to normal now. 
Virus figures are rising here, despite lots of local lock-downs, a maximum group size inside or outside of 6 and pubs closing at 10 everywhere. Our area was quite good early on, but seems to be getting much worse. It’s very worrying. 
The weather is now really autumnal. Some sunny days but with a real nip in the air, and then lots of rain on other days.

I can’t say I’m looking forwards to winter. We’ll try and continue with our regular walks, weather permitting. 
Hope everyone is keeping well.

Our pubs and restaurants are closed until 23 October and as set up several weeks ago, we have no rule of 6 which the BBC makes so much of. For us, no indoor visitors unless they are care giving been like this for ages 😞. Back to 2 metres distance between people in supermarkets one way in the aisles and outdoor lining up to be let in as numbers are really restricted. We are also not supposed to travel to another region. So no seeing the grandson even in a play park. All depressing so I hope this second lockdown works. 

• Like 3

I expect us to have stricter measures soon, as our figures are rising. It looks as if England is going to have a three tier system depending on the level in your local area. Our figures are rising locally so we’ll probably be in the middle tier. It’s not yet clear what the regulations will be for each area - there’s going to be an announcement on Monday.

Its sad that you can’t see your grandson uktog - let’s hope the Scottish lockdown works so you can see him again soon. My feeling is that Scotland has in general been more effective with the way you have dealt with COVID - taken action more quickly and been more severe with what’s been done. Our government’s been too slow I think.

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I expect us to have stricter measures soon, as our figures are rising. It looks as if England is going to have a three tier system depending on the level in your local area. Our figures are rising locally so we’ll probably be in the middle tier. It’s not yet clear what the regulations will be for each area - there’s going to be an announcement on Monday.

Its sad that you can’t see your grandson uktog - let’s hope the Scottish lockdown works so you can see him again soon. My feeling is that Scotland has in general been more effective with the way you have dealt with COVID - taken action more quickly and been more severe with what’s been done. Our government’s been too slow I think.

Due to a family bereavement I’ve spent some time in the Midlands this week in an area supposedly with the additional no indoor visits requirement. I accept this is very much a generalisation but I felt understanding of and compliance with the requirements did not exist there to the same levels as here in Scotland. I’m not sure why. 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Due to a family bereavement I’ve spent some time in the Midlands this week in an area supposedly with the additional no indoor visits requirement. I accept this is very much a generalisation but I felt understanding of and compliance with the requirements did not exist there to the same levels as here in Scotland. I’m not sure why. 

Maybe because your government has been very clear about the regulations, whereas Boris has not. We seem to have had a whole range of different regulations from time to time with some upheld by law and others just advisory. I think people have got fed up with the changes. 

• Like 2

As Wendy the Wanderer has pointed out in another thread, because of a second wave of infections three heavily populated administrative areas in Ontario have now been placed in a Level 2 “Lite” lockdown.

The meaning of that term is rather vague, but those three areas certainly appear to be experiencing exponential growth.

We are just north and northwest of two of those designated areas, and our jurisdiction is also experiencing a significantly increased rate of diagnoses.

This Thanksgiving long weekend there were very high levels of traffic indeed
on the highways that provide access to our municipality from the Level 2 areas.

I have posted some pictures that might help explain the vehicular pressure.

The third last picture shows cars parked along one of  the rural roads leading into the local provincial park where I took the photos. It was the early morning so that number would only increase.

And I apologize that I can’t edit out the photo that has been repeated.

4BAEE02D-645A-48F1-B513-28B9F1367EFC.jpeg

D8191987-F86A-4965-AEEF-EAA67AC4EAE6.jpeg

4C35CF27-973E-4A0B-9CAD-40BFB9B3FBFA.jpeg

A2F2A2EA-56FC-49E2-BAF1-DE9E48E29C3C.jpeg

4E90C7C1-7BC2-43E3-89B4-EC5960040785.jpeg

B5407DFA-5FE8-4AC5-B88E-AF8B9BAAB72F.jpeg

ABCEFD0F-9A66-4FF0-B76A-EB98411440D9.jpeg

CA1E62B9-4D50-4E34-9CE9-45EDB240FAC3.jpeg

Edited by nordski
  • Like 2

Beautiful I can see why it’s popular. We are pretty restricted so shouldn’t go to places like our favourite spots just further south. Many risked it yesterday only to find their cars towed away by the police when they got back from their walks. Given how stupid parking has been recently it’s not surprising 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Beautiful I can see why it’s popular. We are pretty restricted so shouldn’t go to places like our favourite spots just further south. Many risked it yesterday only to find their cars towed away by the police when they got back from their walks. Given how stupid parking has been recently it’s not surprising 

Thanks for your response. 
Indeed, your country seems to take mobility much more seriously. Here, the residents of the three areas in “lockdown 2 lite “ are advised to avoid travel that has not an “essential purpose”.

You can imagine how that will be interpreted.

Our challenge is that in Ontario local health authorities have potentially a great deal of authority, so it is sometimes difficult to establish provincial standards.

For example, a good friend who resides primarily now in Antwerp is back in Toronto. She has gone through her quarantine, and has been tested three times. Theoretically, we know more about her health than about the other visitors to this area.

The question is, can she now travel north to visit us before returning to Belgium?

The answers would vary.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, NeilWM said:

Here in Melbourne Australia we have been in a relatively tight lockdown for over 3 months. We are only allowed to leave home for 4 reasons (shopping, caregiving, limited exercise and essential workers). We are not allowed to travel more than 5 kilometres for shopping or exercise and must wear masks at all times when outside. We are currently not allowed any visitors at home but can meet up to 5 people from a maximum of 2 households outdoors. Non-essential shops are closed and restaurants/cafes can only serve takeaway. Things have stabilised recently and we are down to approximately 10 new COVID cases a day and not many deaths. Hopefully we will be able to see our kids and grandkids soon.

We are in New South Wales, on the south coast with no cases since the second lot of school holidays for the year, when it was brought down the coast from Sydney and shared with a few establishments. No similar problem during the holidays just finished, in spite of numerous visitors to our area from other parts of the state and the ACT.

I have not seen my Melbourne family for over a year and my Hobart family for almost a year. Three "children," nine grandchildren and six great grandchildren . . . one of the latter born late last year and one just over six weeks ago. I usually visit both states at least twice a year . . . . hoping like you that we may soon be able to see our extended families!

This time last year we were on Pursuit, cruising the Mediterranean and we should be traversing the Suez Canal later this month, but lifted & shifted to next year some time before it was cancelled.

Hoping for an effective vaccine sooner rather than later so we may return to some sort of normality.

• Like 5

Baynann01 we love all of the NSW South Coast and have stayed in a caravan park in Merimbula each xmas/new year for over 30 years. We will not be caravanning there again as we donated our caravan to victims of the tragic bushfires at Cobargo but hope to return one day when it is possible.

We only had 7 new cases today most of them attached to known clusters so hopefully you can visit your family down here soon.

• Like 2

We are right smack in the highest contagion zone in Ontario (Ottawa). Our wastewater is tested and shows a six-fold increase since last week. Test results now take 3-5 days, so our numbers should be frighteningly high within a couple of days. Our critical care beds are already over capacity. It’s not pretty.

Gatherings remain the major issue. My 20-something neighbours are still gathering with their friends to party in the wee hours. And meanwhile, Bill and I have been back to being total shut-ins for the foreseeable future.
Ughhh!! 😡🤬

Had to tell my mom (who also lives in a “red”zone) that no one could visit her during last week-end’s Thanksgiving holiday, and that we probably will not be able to travel to see her at Christmas either, as that involves an overnight at a hotel in the winter months. — Summer we can do the five-hour return drive easily the same day, but not in winter darkness and rough driving conditions. There’s a blatant genetal disregard for sanitary protocols, like mask wearing and distancing, where she lives. Being a shut-in is especially hard on her, as she lives alone. At least here, Bill and the cats are good company, and we have a big enough place to provide us with decent space when we want to retreat to quiet... no wonder house sales are booming here now!

• Like 2

On 10/14/2020 at 5:55 PM, NeilWM said:

Baynann01 we love all of the NSW South Coast and have stayed in a caravan park in Merimbula each xmas/new year for over 30 years. We will not be caravanning there again as we donated our caravan to victims of the tragic bushfires at Cobargo but hope to return one day when it is possible.

We only had 7 new cases today most of them attached to known clusters so hopefully you can visit your family down here soon.

Thanks Neil. I expect it will be a while yet as Daniel Andrews isn't in a hurry to ease restrictions. Frustrating as that is, I fully understand his hesitation, having seen too many people go overboard when there has been a slight easing, with the result of more clusters breaking out. Meanwhile all my family are well and I hope yours are also.

What a lovely thing you did, donating your caravan to victims of last Summer's bushfires. 😇

Trish