Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb NOT REFUNDING $$ Despite Pandemic Restrictions

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

As I posted back in March, these are fully transferable.

Could have saved a lot of angst just selling them on.

Not always. I once had a voucher for an activity that I could no longer do and in the end no one bought it even though I put it at significant discount. No guarantee anyone will buy it but I guess worth a try if you have exhausted all other avenues. No chance of getting travel insurance to refund the loss? If you bought the insurance before the exemption kicked in you might still be able to make a claim. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not always. I once had a voucher for an activity that I could no longer do and in the end no one bought it even though I put it at significant discount. No guarantee anyone will buy it but I guess worth a try if you have exhausted all other avenues. No chance of getting travel insurance to refund the loss? If you bought the insurance before the exemption kicked in you might still be able to make a claim. 

3 years is a long time to try sell those tickets and in 3 years they may be worth more than purchase price.

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Guessing you're referring to saleability rather than transferability. For something like Bridgeclimb which is one of the top requested activities from foreign tourists here, there would be no issue.

15 hours ago, christodan said:

Look here's the thing.  Bridge Climb is a family run business (Hammons Holdings)  and comparing it to American Airlines, even in jest, is a tad unfair. 

No unfairness intended whatsoever!  In fact you have misconstrued - my point is that all, every last one of the hotels, businesses, service providers - and most of them were indeed, small, family businesses - have ALL given us cash refunds.  I was simply qualifying myself, I didn't want to say that ALL businesses with which we had contracted had given us cash refunds, as that isn't true - United Airlines has not.  So, the problem with writing, without you hearing my tone and fully understanding what I meant, is the cause of your misinterpretation.  So let's just put it this way - all of the smaller businesses have been compassionate and fair and understanding of the global circumstances - EXCEPT Sydney BridgeClimb.  All of the other smaller businesses, except Bridge Climb, recognized that we had contracted with them for a service that they could not provide - and rightfully, gave us cash refunds.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

There is a distinction. They are able to provide the service. You, however, are no longer in a position to use the service. That isn't their fault.

They don't reopen till 27 June so they are not providing any service. 

17 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

There is a distinction. They are able to provide the service. You, however, are no longer in a position to use the service. That isn't their fault.

Ha, I SO beg to differ.  We live half way around the world.  We reserved for a very particular day based upon WHEN WE WOULD BE IN THE COUNTRY.  They, therefore, by definition, could NOT provide the service.  Our contracted date turned out to be when we could not even enter their country.  We had a specific reservation - on a date when borders were closed!  They could not provide the service.  Therefore, they are morally bound to refund our cash.  I honestly do not understand what is so hard about that to understand.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Ha, I SO beg to differ.  We live half way around the world.  We reserved for a very particular day based upon WHEN WE WOULD BE IN THE COUNTRY.  They, therefore, by definition, could NOT provide the service.  Our contracted date turned out to be when we could not even enter their country.  We had a specific reservation - on a date when borders were closed!  They could not provide the service.  Therefore, they are morally bound to refund our cash.  I honestly do not understand what is so hard about that to understand.  

I believe the company should have refunded the money.

I see the point that you could not enter the country at the time, but do you know whether Bridge Climb operated on the day that you were booked for?

Probably been said before on this topic, but I am catching up....Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb no doubt has cash flow problems and has nothing to give back re refund(s) to lexmiller and many like him.

20 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Due to coronavirus shutdowns, services were shutdown on the originally booked day. In lieu of that as they can still provide the service they gave you a credit. You no longer wish to avail of that service which is why you are able to transfer that credit on.

It's the same with many travel providers. In place of the originally booked date, they have offered you credit to use the service on any other date. You may have been fortunate that other providers you dealt with also offered refunds, but that is far from universal, and not required as you have even found with credit providers.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:25 PM, ilikeanswers said:

They don't reopen till 27 June so they are not providing any service. 

At which time they are providing service. The credit is not restricted to be used prior to 27 June, so the service is still available.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:34 AM, lexmiller said:

Ha, I SO beg to differ.  We live half way around the world.  We reserved for a very particular day based upon WHEN WE WOULD BE IN THE COUNTRY.  They, therefore, by definition, could NOT provide the service.  Our contracted date turned out to be when we could not even enter their country.  We had a specific reservation - on a date when borders were closed!  They could not provide the service.

So it was in April, the climb? Were they were closed? I would say if they were closed, then you should get a refund. But if they were still operating, then I think a credit is good enough.

Edited by christodan

I think companies like this need to apply a bit of commonsense to refund requests. Sure, if the person lives in Australia or NZ then a credit is probably acceptable but for someone who lives on the other side of the world they should give refunds. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think companies like this need to apply a bit of commonsense to refund requests. Sure, if the person lives in Australia or NZ then a credit is probably acceptable but for someone who lives on the other side of the world they should give refunds. 

Agree and the fact they have not refunded is pathetic.  I wonder if Sydney Harbour BridgeClimb still has the tender to operate the aforesaid bridge climbs?  I think a couple of companies have had a go in the past.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Agree and the fact they have not refunded is pathetic.  I wonder if Sydney Harbour BridgeClimb still has the tender to operate the aforesaid bridge climbs?  I think a couple of companies have had a go in the past.

They only recently won the tender to operate it so it could be a while before it changes hands again.

18 hours ago, christodan said:

So it was in April, the climb? Were they were closed? I would say if they were closed, then you should get a refund. But if they were still operating, then I think a credit is good enough.

Yes, April, and they were VERY MUCH closed - not just Bridge Climb, but the country - borders had been closed for weeks at that point.  We were coming via cruise ship......we all know how that ended.