PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

As we are all one big community, we collectively thought it would be a great idea to start a thread on the cruise line forums so our members can have a place to socialize during these times of social distancing or "stay in Place' that we are all doing.  

Cruise Critic is indeed a community and now is the time that we need to be able to socialize and show support for one another.

Please let's show respect and kindness to each other and please let's keep political comments off of this no matter where we live in this world. Everyone is frustrated and stressed but I know personally that it would be wonderful to know how everyone is doing on these boards that I have talked to, met or simply read your post over these 17 years that I have been a member.

Warm regards to every member on this board!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'm happy to start......

I'm currently sitting as I type and looking at empty cruise ships sitting at Port Miami.  It's very surreal.

The state of Florida has ordered every bar closed for 30 days, all of our restaurants were ordered closed with the exception of take out/delivery, all non-essential businesses have been ordered closed and all the hotels have to close as of midnight on Monday, March 23.  Those who can stay at the hotels are essential lodgers like first responders, airlines employees as well as those displaced by domestic violence for example. 

As many know, the Brickell area is normally so lively and busy.  It again is so very surreal to see how it is around here.  The flight pattern is many times overhead from MIA and it's been very quiet. 

With so many thousands here shopping here in small city size Publix supermarkets, getting fresh groceries isn't the easiest feat. I've seen cuts of chicken that I wouldn't have a clue what to do with, like chicken feet, pork feet, and chicken gizzards! I will say that those people who are working the front lines here as well as making deliveries are due every ounce of respect that we can give them.  

Don't even get me started on our medical staff and emergency services, truck drivers, port workers and so many others that I have missed... you have my respect and thanks.

The sun is shining and the weather is perfect.  The air is clean and Biscayne Bay and the ocean looks amazing!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We "medicated" ourselves last night.

I'm so happy that I took a picture of the drink menu, showing the ingredients for the Ultimate Mai Tai

90199786_10158002103258433_6267560949448704000_n.thumb.jpg.e82e87c049895882219ff0e38a4c8306.jpg

90346261_10158002163848433_171754500921491456_n.thumb.jpg.a2f57190ce402845db96d4c4848027b2.jpg

I love that!  I just whipped up a pitcher of the Sandia En Fuegos that I kept enjoying at Good Spirits at Sea on the Sky in December!  

Enjoy!!

Great topic!  Here in Colorado Springs we aren't in lock-down but restaurants, bars, beauty services etc are closed (though curb-side and takeout are encouraged for the food/brewery industries).  Cool news is that liquor restrictions have been lifted somewhat so the curb-side/delivery service providing your yummy dinner can also deliver liquor.  Yay - civilization is preserved! 😁

One cool tip for those out there having difficulties getting certain groceries or concerned about spending much time in the store - we ordered a Honey Baked ham delivery, and armed with a fresh box of quart freezer bags have enough protein to keep us in bean soup, sandwiches and scalloped potatoes for some time.  Worst-case scenario - we do have a slow cat...

Take care all... we're hoping to take that Alaska cruise next year on the Coral!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I am in Vancouver, Canada. My city was slow to react and many people are still not taking things seriously. We are not yet in full lockdown  but all public places have been closed - bars, restaurants, community centres, libraries, movie theatres, playgrounds. Schools are currently on spring break but we have been told that they will not reopen afterwards and students will automatically move to next grade and resume in September.

Residents are being advised to stay how but also encouraged to go out for walks/air while distancing. The problem with this is that Downtown Vancouver is primarily highrises so everyone is flocking to the seawall or beach for their walks and air and social distancing is next to impossible. I made the decision on Wednesday that my family would stay home, so we have not been out since.

I have been laid off from my job in the parks and recreation department of the city - mainly due to the fact that the facilities are all closed down! I am worried about finances but also glad I no longer have to put my health at risk in a front facing public role. I applaud all the essential workers still having to face the risks each day. The Canadian Government has put together an aid package to (hopefully) assist with those of us impacted by the work closures - they have vowed no one will be evicted if they are unable to pay rent, and they are making unemployment benefits available to workers who normally would not be covered. I'm sure this will all take time, but it at least is a ray of hope and one less thing to stress about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am sitting in my home office, sipping on a Cold Beer that I poured into a Princess tumbler 

"come back new"

will have wine night tonight, not at Vines, but sitting overlooking our pool, sadly, not the ocean ...

but we scored a great cabin on this "cruise" - OWNERS SUITE !! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I am sitting in my home office, sipping on a Cold Beer that I poured into a Princess tumbler 

"come back new"

will have wine night tonight, not at Vines, but sitting overlooking our pool, sadly, not the ocean ...

but we scored a great cabin on this "cruise" - OWNERS SUITE !! 

Love this.  Glad to hear you are well.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1

California is nuts. Here are a couple of pics from today's newspaper.

The Pasta aisle in Safeway:

ajax-request.php?val=Image_2.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=chicoenterpriserecord_live20151014&issue=20200321&crc=cer_dly_200321_a_001.pdf.0&edition=Chico Enterprise Record&mtime=083926&paperImage=chicoenterpriserecord

The Toilet Paper aisle in Safeway:

ajax-request.php?val=Image_1.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=chicoenterpriserecord_live20151014&issue=20200321&crc=cer_dly_200321_a_001.pdf.0&edition=Chico Enterprise Record&mtime=083926&paperImage=chicoenterpriserecord

Some restaurants are doing take-out but others are closed. Stores - other than grocery stores - are mostly all closed. Libraries and theaters are closed. 

Here's a shot of the mall parking lot:

ajax-request.php?val=Image_0.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=chicoenterpriserecord_live20151014&issue=20200321&crc=cer_dly_200321_a_001.pdf.0&edition=Chico Enterprise Record&mtime=083926&paperImage=chicoenterpriserecord

The paper says that, so far, there are no confirmed cases in the county but we are in full post-apocalyptic mode. It's very weird. I thought I'd make a stew but there are no potatoes in the stores. I was going to make a pot of chili but there are no beans in the stores. It seems people are hoarding food and stuff. It seems a bit counter-productive to me to snatch up all the soap and sanitizer. That just means nobody else can keep clean so they will end up infecting those who took all the cleaning stuff.

We're just hanging out at home. We have food and wine. We have (had?) a month long camping trip planned but the campgrounds seem to be closing. Hoping all this clears up so we can take our November/December cruises.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

Another Canadian here... in Toronto.  Our province declared a State of Emergency a few days back.  All public facilities and attractions are closed (libraries, museums, the zoo, etc.).  Bars, clubs, hair and nail salons have been asked to close.  Restaurants and coffee shops are restricted to take-out and delivery.  Social distancing is in effect and we are asked to not gather in groups of more than 10, 5 would be better.  There's 6 of us in the house, so that's that.  Grocery stores are limiting how many can enter at one time and most are restricting the first operating hour to seniors and "vulnerable" folks.  Food delivery services are booking a week or more out at this point.  And still people are being stupid and not taking this seriously.

We just finished our March Break, now we have a mandatory 2 week school closure... but I fully expect they'll cancel the rest of the year.  That bums me out because my oldest (grade 1) has struggled with school (combination of boredom and social isolation) and this year he has a really amazing teacher.  But... we do what we have to do, and as long as we have our health we're ahead of the game.  I have relatives in Ireland who aren't doing so well... and the in-laws are in another city, close enough that the kids want to go see them, but we can't and they're having a hard time understanding why. *sigh*

But we're battening down the hatches and riding it out as best we can!

• Like 2

Anacortes at first seems strangely normal, although the stores have been hit there still seem to be some groceries.   Our local market has a call in service, so we did that yesterday and drove through town (still traffic out and about).      The only jarring indication was the big flashing signs near the hospital announcing "Flu clinic" and the big what I call "mass casualty" tents set up outside.    There was a bit more contact getting the groceries than I had wanted, the millenial who took my card (why can't we do it by phone) wanted to get close and talk.  We are still working our way through how to do this I think.   All of restaurants were closed which is really sad, we have some great ones that I hope survive this economic tsunami, but I doubt that they will.    The only ones with people were the fast food places.

Calling in groceries is an experience, we asked for six salmon fillets and they were huge!   We have enough salmon for awhile (we plan to smoke some, which is normal for us this time of year.)   Somehow we ended up with a huge bunch of radishes that we didn't order, I'm not really sure what to do with them.    However, there was no organic chicken and when we called today the shipment had not come in, we are added to the 'list' which may or may not exist.   Grocery workers are very stressed out, but handling it cheerfully.   The clerk said that there are plenty of supplies, people are just stocking up like crazy, which is not entirely crazy if we are to spend the next several weeks (months?) indoors.    So far no travel restrictions but I'm sure that is coming.

I was a bit shocked to find that we have nine positive cases in town already.     I have been preparing for two months but now it is becoming real I see things that I didn't think of.   I should have bought a freezer.    I teeter between resignation and despair (my mom is 90 and in a different state, my sister has all sorts of health issues), if I could see this coming why is the country not more ready for it?   I hope we come out as well as China has so far, I don't see much reason to think so.   Our governor is doing a good job with the situation, but I look at the rest of the politics and despair for our species.   If this is how we handle a garden variety epidemic, how are we going to handle climate change?

We ordered a bidet on Amazon for the TP issue, it turns out to require changing the shut off valve in the bathroom which is within my capabilities but if you want to do the same make sure to read the instructions beforehand.

3 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I am in Vancouver, Canada. My city was slow to react and many people are still not taking things seriously. We are not yet in full lockdown  but all public places have been closed - bars, restaurants, community centres, libraries, movie theatres, playgrounds. Schools are currently on spring break but we have been told that they will not reopen afterwards and students will automatically move to next grade and resume in September.

Residents are being advised to stay how but also encouraged to go out for walks/air while distancing. The problem with this is that Downtown Vancouver is primarily highrises so everyone is flocking to the seawall or beach for their walks and air and social distancing is next to impossible. I made the decision on Wednesday that my family would stay home, so we have not been out since.

I have been laid off from my job in the parks and recreation department of the city - mainly due to the fact that the facilities are all closed down! I am worried about finances but also glad I no longer have to put my health at risk in a front facing public role. I applaud all the essential workers still having to face the risks each day. The Canadian Government has put together an aid package to (hopefully) assist with those of us impacted by the work closures - they have vowed no one will be evicted if they are unable to pay rent, and they are making unemployment benefits available to workers who normally would not be covered. I'm sure this will all take time, but it at least is a ray of hope and one less thing to stress about.

Enjoying the sunshine on the back deck. Been great weather here in the lower mainland area,  just east of the Vancouver port. Our provincial medical officer has advised us to get outside, yes. However, I think Dr Henry's directive is for staying in our own back yards, to be mindfully isolated from others. I'm enjoying my home time, playing the piano a bit and chatting with friends on the phone. Even if it rains tomorrow here on the Wet Coast, there's lots to attend to at home. I might even be inspired to compile a memory book of past cruise pics. Maybe...

• Like 1

I don't miss snow as I'm from Ohio but now live in central Florida.  It's been nice and sunny here.  I'm laid off from my job as well since I work as a server with dining room closed management are the only ones working togos.  We have 2 confirmed cases in marion county grocery stores are very busy with some run outs such as toilet paper and eggs hard to get.

Tip on hand-sanitizers... Office Max/depot (and I imagine other office supply stores) stocks these though they’ve been cleaned out frequently too, but just call and ask when they expect their next delivery to be on the shelves and get there early.  They weren’t limiting purchase quantities two weeks ago and some skunk came in and bought all 60 bottles. Profiteering rather than personal use I’d suspect.  Grrrrrrrr

2 kids laid off & filed for unemployment. 1 has a job to go back to / 1's company decided to fold. But sun is shining, just did a 4.5 mile hike in the hills behind my house, & Shelter in Place isn't as bad as I thought it would be. 'S' has to go to SF Tuesday and will take a pic of the ship I should be on now as it sits in the bay (Grand Princess). 

Just like Princess, we'll be back with help from a lot of FCC (September 1st flying to Copenhagen to get on Sky Princess September 4th)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Believe it or not had Chinese last night.

16 this morning now I am hot.

Chillin in the sunshine.

8CEF4E7C-1C3E-4431-83EF-1B87C012E905.jpeg

BD92C7DF-8976-435F-8429-4A787A0A5B78.jpeg

EF317302-A6BD-4969-BE07-7F2266990AF3.jpeg

Beautiful photos of what it looks like here!! Yep! It was 15 degrees Fahrenheit this morning! The sun is out now and the snow is melting and we are just taking it one day at a time! I miss the ocean! But it will be there when this passes! It is surreal! 

I keep in mind that we are all in this together and we WILL get through this!

Stay safe and well, fellow cruisers!!! 🙏🙏💙💙

I am waving 🌊🌊🌊🌊 at you from North Denver!! 😁😁

Sea " ya back on the ship's 🚢🚢 when we can cruise again! 💙💜💛💚💖

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Enjoying the sunshine on the back deck. Been great weather here in the lower mainland area,  just east of the Vancouver port. Our provincial medical officer has advised us to get outside, yes. However, I think Dr Henry's directive is for staying in our own back yards, to be mindfully isolated from others. I'm enjoying my home time, playing the piano a bit and chatting with friends on the phone. Even if it rains tomorrow here on the Wet Coast, there's lots to attend to at home. I might even be inspired to compile a memory book of past cruise pics. Maybe...

Yes, I wish people would stay in their own backyards. Or even in their own neighbourhoods! We set up table and chairs on our front porch today (our backyard is a huge communal courtyard that is currently off limits to resident) and I pretended it was my cruise ship balcony! The irony over the amazing weather we have had most of the week and not been able to get out and enjoy it...lol. Having said that, I was meant to be cruising last week and next week.....

• Like 2

Things here are ok. No confirmed cases in our county, but most all of the counties around us have confirmed cases. Most church services went online last Sunday. I think all restaurants are takeout or delivery only. I read today they will begin allowing  alcohol with curbside meals (sealed containers of course).  Malls are closed. Schools closed as of last Monday for 2 weeks. (We will see...) The first few days of homeschool were brutal!!! We seem to have settled in our normal for the time being — homeschooling our 2nd grader and both of us working from home. We’ve seen our neighbors more in a week than the last couple of years. Many are out walking or riding bikes around the neighborhood. There have been quite a few front yard conversations when people are passing by. My child is very social so today while us parents were doing yard work she was perched in a tree looking for neighbors so she could say hi. She informed us that it was the bridge of her cruise ship. 😂

We are supposed to be sailing from Copenhagen on the Sky in July. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 

• Like 1

On the downside I’ve had 3 doctor appointments cancelled for next week (apparently I’m old and at risk at 66🙀).  On the bright side, just checked grub hub and found 4 of our favorite restaurants on their list.  Honor- bound to support them with periodic orders over the coming weeks so we’ll be sitting on the deck for “balcony dining”, though we have deer wandering through the yard rather than dolphin, but they’ll do.  We live with/care for my 100 y/o spunky mom who likes more dining variety than I typically provide so this should do the trick.  Looking for my little umbrellas for our beverages now.

• Like 1

D'Oh! Called for take-out chicken from our favorite "old folks" restaurant and it turns out they are closed. Called another one that has the same owners and they answered the phone but said they closed at 5:00 these days. Poop. Everything is just so dang weird.

Thanks CJSKIDS for this great idea!

I am also in Miami, like you, but in the Kendall (Southwest) area.  We ventured out to two grocery stores and a pharmacy today wearing masks and gloves.  We wanted to do three things at once so as to make full use of our very limited supply of masks and gloves.  About a third of the people shopping were also wearing masks and gloves.  We were able to get pork chops, bananas, tomatoes, and some other basic food, along with some over-the-counter medicine from CVS, so we are happy.  Now we plan to stay home for the immediate future.  It is nice to see people taking walks in our condo community, and so far, most of our neighbors are practicing social distancing, as are we.  Good luck to everyone!

Here in Arkansas we've had 100 confirmed cases as of this morning.  I've been at home since the 13th, except for a 5 minute trip to the liquor store yesterday where they brought my order to the car.  Restaurants are doing take out and delivery.  There's still no TP available.  I have plenty, thankfully 😊 !  

I've been using this time to do some clearing out and catching up on my reading.

I hope everyone is well and keeping their sanity,

Fern

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Believe it or not had Chinese last night.

16 this morning now I am hot.

Chillin in the sunshine.

8CEF4E7C-1C3E-4431-83EF-1B87C012E905.jpeg

BD92C7DF-8976-435F-8429-4A787A0A5B78.jpeg

EF317302-A6BD-4969-BE07-7F2266990AF3.jpeg

Looks beautiful where you live. I would give anything to have that kind of space around me right about now. Well, anything but the snow and cold 🙂

Hope you don’t mind I “borrowed” your princess picture a few weeks ago. Couldn’t resist! 

• Like 1