PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

We have two portable evaporative fans to take the edge off.  Would love a more effective cooling system but baseboard heating means no ductwork (and narrow casement windows so no window air conditioners), so we’re looking into a few mini-splits.  But first, complete the kitchen remodel, rebuild deck with composite materials, and replace the old fence.  We’ll, maybe next year.

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

If that is the case we will pack up the teardrop and head for the hills where it's a bit cooler while we wait. Heck, I haven't even fixed the dang sprinklers yet!  I dug them mostly out but when I get down to do the work my back laughs at me. At least they are mostly exposed. Think I'll just call someone to finish the job. If I need emergency AC repair I think my daughter will task her husband with getting us running until we can get a new unit installed. HVAC is what he does. Of course he is swamped with OT at the moment but I doubt that would keep our daughter from volunteering him anyway. (That's why I haven't asked for assistance with the sprinklers. I know she'd volunteer him and he'd do it but it really doesn't seem fair to the guy.)

5 hours ago, 1980dory said:

We have essentially the same without the solar.  We have a top of the line brand heat pump along with electronic air filter.  Costs are going to be dependent on your geographical location, cost of living, taxes, labor costs, etc.  States like CA and NY are usually high dollar states for these costs.

Yes, I forgot about the air filter. We've got that, too. I was just surprised to see the sifference in price between Thrak's part of CA and mine. Of course, I don't know how the house sizes compare. Ours is just over 1700 sq feet, with vaulted ceilings in three rooms, and flat for the other 60-ish percent of the house. 

The system is fantastic, and I wish we had upgraded earlier. We would have saved quite a bit of money on bills with a more efficient system, and before steel got so expensive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Yes, I forgot about the air filter. We've got that, too. I was just surprised to see the sifference in price between Thrak's part of CA and mine. Of course, I don't know how the house sizes compare. Ours is just over 1700 sq feet, with vaulted ceilings in three rooms, and flat for the other 60-ish percent of the house. 

The system is fantastic, and I wish we had upgraded earlier. We would have saved quite a bit of money on bills with a more efficient system, and before steel got so expensive.

Same size house but no vaulted ceilings. Replacing the ducting sounds like a good idea but likely added a lot to your cost. Considering our ducting is original and the house was built in 1978 it probably leaks like a sieve. I should ask my daughter's husband how much that adds to a project. We should at least have it inspected. Ah, well. It's only money.  We've saved so much by not being able to cruise...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Same size house but no vaulted ceilings. Replacing the ducting sounds like a good idea but likely added a lot to your cost. Considering our ducting is original and the house was built in 1978 it probably leaks like a sieve. I should ask my daughter's husband how much that adds to a project. We should at least have it inspected. Ah, well. It's only money.  We've saved so much by not being able to cruise...

We too have original sheet metal ducting.    Lifted up the door to the crawl space, cool air came rushing in ... ah! that's why the house isn't cool 😞

Had an offer from one a/c company to rip out all the existing ducting, replace it with that new plastic ducting.    A contractor friend (out of state, so couldn't directly help) told us to not let anyone tear out our good sheet metal ducting.   So, we had someone else come out, repair the leaky joints by screwing them together, sealing the joints, then insulating it all.  Two guys, crawling around under the house for 2+ days to get the work all done.  Several years ago, but under $1k, compared to the $8k estimate to replace the good sheet metal with plastic tubing (aka "junk" imo).

The house was immediately much cooler, and our electric bills dropped dramatically!

I'd be interesting in hearing what your a/c professional SIL says; he certainly has the experience and the latest info (we did ours about 8 years ago).

Mary

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Forgot about the square feet.  Our house is about 2300 sf with no vaulted ceilings.  We do have a glassed sun room that is about 10x30.   Lotto heat incursion if we don't keep the blinds down.

• Like 1

So just a little funny ! Hubby and I are retired . So who the the hell ya gonna argue with we sail on Princess but early on we sailed RC so we get on  one of the royal ships which he swears was are first cruise! Not! It was Sun  Princess anyway had no clue what was going on  News networks on board   retired NFL  players right across from us huge party right under our balcony . Our Pats lost to them  but best cruise ever ! We could drink all the beer we wanted and still have a bathroom! Food downstairs any time you wanted it! Dumb luck booking a cabin at the  back of the ship! Just always want to remember those good times! 🙂Think they played the Giants but don't quote me. We had no clue at first what we fell into lol

Edited by Reader0108598

We are currently in Custer, South Dakota and it has been HOT! Of course, anything over 75 degrees is hot for these beach wimps. Our A/C is going in our travel trailer And we have it down to 79.

And WOW! Today, we hit the jackpot with seeing Bison at Custer State Park... And even the babies which at called "Cinnamons". 

And yes, we also saw Mt. Rushmore yesterday. I had no idea of the history of the making and carving of this memorial.

Edited by nini
Spelling
  • Like 1

It is over 100F here in SoCal. It was in the low to mid 80s when we were in Red Bay, Alabama from Mother's Day until last Friday. 

It is far more comfortable here, at 20 or more degrees F warmer, because we do not have the oppressive humidity. It rained 30 of our 33 days there, at one point, it rained for over seven consecutive hours, and kept misting once the rain stopped. 

I sure do wish, as do the Alabamians we talked with, that some of that rain could be shifted to the west! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

It is over 100F here in SoCal. It was in the low to mid 80s when we were in Red Bay, Alabama from Mother's Day until last Friday. 

It is far more comfortable here, at 20 or more degrees F warmer, because we do not have the oppressive humidity. It rained 30 of our 33 days there, at one point, it rained for over seven consecutive hours, and kept misting once the rain stopped. 

I sure do wish, as do the Alabamians we talked with, that some of that rain could be shifted to the west! 

YES! We could really use the rain but, as for the humidity... NO. NO. REALLY NO. It gets hot here - 112 plus sometimes - but it's dry. If we had that humidity I'd die.

• Like 2

Yippee, we are finally allowed to travel again although only within our province. Now we can go and see our youngest son & family on Vancouver Island. Good thing we made reservation for the ferry last week already in anticipation of the announcement. It has been a year now since we saw them (except for the times on facetime or skype). 

Theo

• Like 10

Turned off the AC and opened the windows. Holy Cow! The air is filled with smoke. Turns out there is a fire about 5 miles from my house. It's burning in Bidwell Park. I googled it and there was an article about a 15 acre fire. Then there was a follow up article saying it's now 150-200 acres. Now I see one saying 250 acres. Crap.

Oh wow Thrak, fires starting already?? 

109° yesterday, 'cooler' 107° today so we're running off to SF in a few hours. Only low 70s there. Y'know what they say-- the coldest season i ever spent was summer in SF

At least my 42 yr old HVAC system works great but I'm so used to seasons now that I only heat to 65° or cool to 84°. I've got shades drawn so I don't over work it (keeps it at $151 month) and so much crap came out when I had the ducts professionally cleaned. 

Renmar, glad to hear that you're able to get out & about

Edited by Ombud
Typo

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Up to 600 acres with 25% containment. No identified cause yet although I do have thoughts on the matter.

image.thumb.png.95938b609207e86a96cc50a25efc0852.png

Are you in an area (ie: rural) that needs to be on alert for evacuation?

The last one near my sister in Morgan Hill was caused by balloons floating into PGE lines. Fire engines racing behind my house as I type this. Had a fire there bc of kids & fireworks last week but I live a stones throw from the station so it was only an acre. So now we have to be concerned with balloons, transformers, & fireworks.

Stay safe

Edited by Ombud

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Are you in an area (ie: rural) that needs to be on alert for evacuation?

No. It's only 5 miles or so from our house but moving up the hill. The park is huge - around 2,500 acres - and the part that's on fire is hills and a canyon with a creek. The fire is burning grass and tree covered hills. There are houses way up above but on the other side of the creek/canyon. No evacuations have been necessary. It's certainly hard on the wildlife though and will leave an ugly burn scar. Hopefully nobody fighting the fire gets injured.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2021 at 9:28 AM, Renmar said:

Yippee, we are finally allowed to travel again although only within our province. Now we can go and see our youngest son & family on Vancouver Island. Good thing we made reservation for the ferry last week already in anticipation of the announcement. It has been a year now since we saw them (except for the times on facetime or skype). 

Theo

It's about time! Now that you've finally had your second shots and can actually travel - although it's still restricted to BC - you can kind of start to feel normal again. Hopefully one day the world will open up and you will be able to visit with your granddaughter.

Thrak - we'll be holding good thoughts for you (and all those in the terrible drought areas we're seeing) that the winds don't drive the fires too far.  Even 5 miles away must be unsettling.  Sounds like it's going to be a rough summer, though fire season is pretty much year-round these days.  Oh to be on the water enjoying those waves and cooling breezes!

9 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Oh to be on the water enjoying those waves and cooling breezes!

You said it! I miss it soooooo much. Odd to think I had to just about be dragged to my first cruise. We were so very much looking forward to visiting the land down under. It was not to be. We're booked again for January but that too will be an unfulfilled wish. Someday it will happen. There are so very many places to visit and so many wonderful lazy day at sea to experience. We also had high hopes for our cruise to Iceland, Scotland, and Ireland that ended up in Southampton. Nope, nope, nope.

I hope things go back to "normal" again one day. As for those cooling breezes... It's 8:30 PM and has cooled down to 100°. Much nicer that it was earlier. (It hit 111° earlier today.) It's supposed to get down to 75° sometime around 5 AM tomorrow morning. I'll take it! I know other places get hotter but this is hot enough for me.

111° on the front porch. 109° on the back porch. AC has been trying to get it down to 81° in the house but it's been running for hours and it's only down to 83° in the hall. That's where the thermostat is located and is also the coolest place in the house.  At least the dang sprinklers are fixed so I don't have to water by hand tonight - although I found that to be a nice, peaceful thing to do.

• Like 2

My son arrived from Montana this afternoon. My daughter arrived a few minutes ago. The five of us are together for the first time in about 360 days. Woo hoo!

We are about to leave to meet my brother's family and my dad at one of our local breweries. They haven't seen the oldest since Christmas of 2019. 

I'm loving the vaccinated life! There will be so many hugs tonight!

• Like 9