No cruising until a vaccine?

On 3/28/2020 at 7:52 AM, TeeRick said:

A couple of simple requests.  Ignore if you wish but I need to vent.  For my mental health!  Can't we please just get over all of this Red state vs. Blue state nonsense in the US?  We are all people dealing with a pandemic regardless of our politics.  And for those of you outside the USA  who continually take shots at us and our politicians - maybe look in a mirror at your own countries.  Thank You.  I feel better.

Agree. Any political stuff should be somewhere else. I'm going to start reporting all political stuff. This is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MADflyer said:

Umm... I know it is actually quite difficult to actually read the attachments and look at the maps included, but I think the poster was referring to the color red that is used on that map to indicate the cases of Coronavirus actually!

So, stop with the unfounded threats!

Thank you. If you open that map and don't enlarge it it looks like the entire country is a disaster area.

1 hour ago, CI66774 said:

Stop with the political BS.

For the Record I'm a registered Republican Since 1978  living in a Democratic state. Maybe you should take your agenda elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 3:27 PM, JAMESCC said:

Abbott Laboratories apparently has developed one and they will be available next week. Positive results in 5 minutes, negative in 13 minutes. Here is the article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/28/coronavirus-fda-authorizes-abbott-labs-fast-portable-covid-test/2932766001/

This is an antigen test, so it will only show if you have the virus right now. An antibody test is different and the key to opening up cruising and opening up the country in general. An antibody test will show if you've ever had the virus and have developed protective antibodies to the disease. Antibody tests are also being worked on. Since so many people were exposed to the SARS-CoV2 virus but never actually developed the disease COVID-19 (asymptomatic). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mellowjourney said:

This is an antigen test, so it will only show if you have the virus right now. An antibody test is different and the key to opening up cruising and opening up the country in general. An antibody test will show if you've ever had the virus and have developed protective antibodies to the disease. Antibody tests are also being worked on. Since so many people were exposed to the SARS-CoV2 virus but never actually developed the disease COVID-19 (asymptomatic). 

Could not agree more. The blood test/antibody test they started last week is a game changer here. I volunteer to take it. Curiosity has me wanting to get the test. Dr. Agus said its a very simple, fast and cheap test. Supposedly its gonna be ramped up over the next few weeks to cover the entire country. At least that is kinda what is implied.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Could not agree more. The blood test/antibody test they started last week is a game changer here. I volunteer to take it. Curiosity has me wanting to get the test. Dr. Agus said its a very simple, fast and cheap test. Supposedly its gonna be ramped up over the next few weeks to cover the entire country. At least that is kinda what is implied.

You appear to be mixing up the two types of test.  One, the easy one which exists now but newer faster versions are about to start only tells you if you currently have the virus.  It is mainly there to allow key workers to get back to work rather than having to self isolate.

The more important test is one which shows if you have had the virus in the past.  That doesn't exist in any meaningful way at present. The ones they did test had only a 85-90% validity which would be very dangerous. 

37 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

You appear to be mixing up the two types of test.  One, the easy one which exists now but newer faster versions are about to start only tells you if you currently have the virus.  It is mainly there to allow key workers to get back to work rather than having to self isolate.

The more important test is one which shows if you have had the virus in the past.  That doesn't exist in any meaningful way at present. The ones they did test had only a 85-90% validity which would be very dangerous. 

The CDC just started testing to see if you had it and have antibodies. I just saw Dr. Agus talk about this very subject and how its a big deal. Its gonna be ramped up over the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

This test does exist.

It is expected to become available this coming week or the next in the US.  It will be a few weeks before it becomes widely available.

• Like 1

Just now, SRF said:

This test does exist.

It is expected to become available this coming week or the next in the US.  It will be a few weeks before it becomes widely available.

That exactly what I posted above but no one was listening. Its a total game changer because we will get a better picture just what the heck is going on in the country. 

Just now, JAMESCC said:

That exactly what I posted above but no one was listening. Its a total game changer because we will get a better picture just what the heck is going on in the country. 

Yeap.

Except the other part is determining the required antibody level to be immune.  

Once we have the two things, those who have had it and are immune, can go back to work.

• Like 1

Just now, SRF said:

Yeap.

Except the other part is determining the required antibody level to be immune.  

Once we have the two things, those who have had it and are immune, can go back to work.

And maybe cruise? Dr. Fauci is talking about an immunity certificate. If you get that and people with no underlying conditions maybe that will be enough to allow cruising to start. I want to take this test. Dr. Agus said its very simple, it could be just a ***** of the finger like diabetics do now to test blood sugar.

You guys win, with thew news of Carnival cancelling I am now as pessimistic as you are. This is not a joke or sarcastic post. This is trouble for cruises. I'm not sure who or if any of these companies survive. I'm just extremely pessimistic. If Royal goes under I am done with cruising. I don't fly, I sail from NY/NJ or really just NJ because I HATE the Manhattan terminal. I love Mega ships and I sail from NJ so Royal Caribbean is my cruise line. I'm not sure I will ever step foot on a ship again. If not, its over for me and cruising. 

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

Keep in mind if RCL the corporation goes under, that doesn’t mean the product goes under. The ships can keep sailing with different corporate owners. 

It won't be the same. Who knows what that will look like or be like.