Cancelation problem with TA

azam71209

Just now, Paulchili said:

Thank you. Good to know about AA & DL. BA is also offering only vouchers for cancelled paid flights.

I suggest to keep checking....the airlines are changing their rules daily (if not hourly)……..I waited on my Delta tickets and when they began offering refunds, I submitted my ticket for refund.

2 hours ago, basor said:

I personally have had flights on both American and Delta canceled due to the Corona Virus and I had the option of a refund OR a futures air credit.  I chose refund and the total cost of the tickets were refunded to my credit card (original form of payment).  I do know other airlines are also offering the same option but do not have personal experience.  United is one of only a few only offering a future air credit only.  Obviously, the airlines are pushing people to take the future air credit but you do have the option of a refund.

FWIW.  We had non-refundable UA tickets to Amsterdam and return in connection with an AMA Waterways river cruise in The Netherlands and Belgium in mid-April.  AMA has suspended operations and is refunding cost of cruise.  We were waiting until the last minute to see if UA would come across with refunds vice merely future air credits, as we purchased our tickets last November.  Lo and behold full refunds appeared in our credit card account on March 17, without our contacting UA.  St. Patrick's day luck, perhaps???  

Edited by redraider1966
word omitted

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Thank you. Good to know about AA & DL. BA is also offering only vouchers for cancelled paid flights.

2 hours ago, basor said:

I suggest to keep checking....the airlines are changing their rules daily (if not hourly)……..I waited on my Delta tickets and when they began offering refunds, I submitted my ticket for refund.

Indeed - rules changing frequently. 

Yesterday: For AA my flight was changed significantly but only cancel option that I could find. Called AA and was asked by CSR why I should qualify. Told them why, they looked up the flight and said they would cancel and I could fill in a form on a website for the refund. Sounded good to me. Plugged my data and it reported that I d\o not qualify and would have to go for manual review. And the amount of refund was $52 vs. $880 I paid. Seems that a refund is not working out out too well for me.

Shortly after that I heard AA are credit only and no refund. Maybe I would have been better off just taking a credit but if it was to expire when original tickets was purchased that was too soon for me. If they gave more time to use like the CLs are then I would have taken it . So more to do ....

2 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Shortly after that I heard AA are credit only and no refund. Maybe I would have been better off just taking a credit but if it was to expire when original tickets was purchased that was too soon for me. If they gave more time to use like the CLs are then I would have taken it . So more to do ....

Under the current situation the credits are good for 1 year from date of cancellation - previously it was 1 year from the date of issue of the ticket.

7 hours ago, azam71209 said:

I definitely understand how the T&C works. However, on February 6, 2020, at least some cruise lines, hotels, tour providers were modifying the T&C to prevent cancellations. Oceania actually has made significant modifications and continues to do so. I assumed that the TA was giving me accurate information as of that date. 

She also told me that I will get a certificate for a 100% credit of the deposit toward a different cruise. That is also not part of the original T&C.

Just a warning to others-do not trust new offers, discounts, etc. from a TA until you actually get the information directly from Oceania. Ask the TA for a copy of the official change from Oceania.

Mary

If you have a Agent you should never have to contact Oceania......that is why you have an Agent working for you....  

Get a new GOOD agent.....the one you have is a bozo...............

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Under the current situation the credits are good for 1 year from date of cancellation - previously it was 1 year from the date of issue of the ticket.

It is a moving target. I should have reached out to you yesterday.

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Agreed. The FCC option $$$ will probably increase as the cash-on-hand dwindles. 

Hold them accountable? I'm sure that there are attorneys already drawing up class-action suits (for all cruise lines) when the ultimate "sh@* hits the fan."

Our next, still intact, cruise (Nautica - Athens to Athens to Dubai) is coming up this November. Final pay is in June with penalties starting at least a month earlier. From recent Nautica and Insignia cruises, we've got two FCCs and will probably use them to keep our out-of-pocket costs down to a few thousand dollars. Of course, the big question is: If Oceania does cancel, will the FCCs carryover (a Reservation Supervisor told me "Yes.")?

And then, there's our United bizclass tix, which we purchased before the recent start date of change fee relaxation. I expect that we'll at least be able to get an ETC.

Bottom line is that all is somewhat of a gamble that brings to mind the old adage: "A bird in the hand...."

I may be wrong, but pretty sure in the T&C’s you waive class action litigation. 

1 hour ago, YoHoHo said:

Plugged my data and it reported that I d\o not qualify and would have to go for manual review. And the amount of refund was $52 vs. $880 I paid. Seems that a refund is not working out out too well for me.

YoHoHo----keep trying for the AA refund.  I cancelled Sunday afternoon, shortly before my AA flight.  The first time I tried to request a refund it said I didn't qualify.  I tried again a little later and it worked, saying I will get a refund.  On Sunday the AA agent still said the FFC was only good for one year from booking, which would have meant that I would have to use three international flights by mid-June 2020.  I am happy to hear that has been changed to a year from cancellation.  That may help others who booked very early, like me, who cannot get a refund for whatever reason.

Edited by Twiga

33 minutes ago, Twiga said:

On Sunday the AA agent still said the FFC was only good for one year from booking, ...  I am happy to hear that has been changed to a year from cancellation.  That may help others who booked very early, like me, who cannot get a refund for whatever reason.

Does anyone have a link to verify this change?  I can't find any reference to it on AA's site.

21 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Does anyone have a link to verify this change?  I can't find any reference to it on AA's site.

Things change so rapidly and policies vary from airline to airline as well as from agent to agent.

I know for a fact that this is the policy with UA and BA - voucher good for 1 year from cancellation (not ticketing).

From what I read here AA provides refunds - which is even better - if you get the right agent.

As they say on FlyerTalk - HUACA  - Hang Up And Call Again)😀

Edited by Paulchili

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Things change so rapidly and policies vary from airline to airline as well as from agent to agent.

I know for a fact that this is the policy with UA and BA - voucher good for 1 year from cancellation (not ticketing).

From what I read here AA provides refunds - which is even better - if you get the right agent.

As they say on FlyerTalk - HUACA  - Hang Up And Call Again)😀

I referenced AA and DL refunding but my flights were canceled by the airlines...….I do not know if the same applies to you canceling the flight or to a schedule change...

I agree with PaulChili, call again and again.  My first two AA agents said only FFC within one year of booking.  The third one said I could get a refund.  Wow!  Was I excited!  I had been very nice to him and empathized with his situation, so I figured he hit the "Refund Button" for me.  (Just kidding.)  But, for whatever reason, I am told that I will get a refund within 7 business days. I will believe it when I see it, but I am optimistic!  Now I need to figure out how to get refunds for the $600 I paid British Airways for seat reservations on two flights for my husband and me from LAX to Dubai. 

1 hour ago, Twiga said:

Now I need to figure out how to get refunds for the $600 I paid British Airways for seat reservations on two flights for my husband and me from LAX to Dubai. 

WOW - is that $150/seat reservation?

PaulChili, we were flying British Air business from LAX to London, then immediately on to Dubai, also business.  Seat selection from LAX to LHR was $155 each and $129 and $119 to Dubai.  The $600 also includes another $30 each for exit row seats on British Air from Athens to LHR.  We didn't have to pay for seat selection from LHR to LAX as we were flying on AA.  I would have flown AA the whole way if I could have, but AA doesn't fly to Dubai.

20 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Must be used 1 year from cancel date.  If you booked with miles (which I did not) you can get an FFC, to be used within one  year, AND it's good for codeshare, which ETC is not.

I honestly can't remember what came when once I logged on and clicked "Cancel my trip".

Here's a good resource that has a link for the travel bot (which you won't need, but others might 🙂 )

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html

United website says when ticket is purchased, not canceled.  Do you have different information?

• New tickets must be reissued on/before December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier

47 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

United website says when ticket is purchased, not canceled.  Do you have different information?

• New tickets must be reissued on/before December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier

From the Cancellation assistance bot on the page I referenced above:

ETCs can be applied to book a new ticket up to 12 months from the date it’s issued, for travel up to 24 months from the date the ETC is issued.

ETCs can be used for travel on United and United Express operated flights only.

FFCs must be used for travel within 12 months of the date your original ticket was issued.

FFCs may be applied towards any United, United Express, or Star Alliance partner operated flights. Additionally, they must be applied to the traveler(s) on the original itinerary.

Text from the email containing my ETC:

An electronic travel certificate is attached to this email. The certificate may be used for travel on flights operated by United® as well as United Express® flights, and is valid for one year from the original date of issue, unless otherwise noted.

AND On the ETC certificate itself, the issue date is listed as 26MAR2020 and the Expiration Date is listed as 26MAR2021

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Twiga said:

PaulChili, we were flying British Air business from LAX to London, then immediately on to Dubai, also business.  Seat selection from LAX to LHR was $155 each and $129 and $119 to Dubai.  The $600 also includes another $30 each for exit row seats on British Air from Athens to LHR.  We didn't have to pay for seat selection from LHR to LAX as we were flying on AA.  I would have flown AA the whole way if I could have, but AA doesn't fly to Dubai.

I too am outraged that BA makes you pay for seat reservations in business class - it's truly THE only major international airline that does that for bus, class travelers.

I have status with AA so I didn't have to pay but they made me pay for M. I made an issue out of it and they gave me 20K Avios as compensation. Maybe be useful in the future?

Edited by Paulchili

23 hours ago, basor said:

Qantas is also offering vouchers. However after spending 4-6 hours in five phone calls to Qantas requesting a voucher for our booking, the booking is blank- shows only our names. Every time I call Qantas (again after waiting on hold each time 4-6 hours) an agent tells me they have it "fixed"- to check the booking again in an hour to see the voucher. But each time absolutely nothing. Just our names- no voucher. I'm not quite sure what to do now other than to keep trying. The wait on hold is absurd especially when I get no return on my time.

I HATE Qantas, Just like the koala bear.

23 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Qantas is also offering vouchers. However after spending 4-6 hours in five phone calls to Qantas requesting a voucher for our booking, the booking is blank- shows only our names. Every time I call Qantas (again after waiting on hold each time 4-6 hours) an agent tells me they have it "fixed"- to check the booking again in an hour to see the voucher. But each time absolutely nothing. Just our names- no voucher. I'm not quite sure what to do now other than to keep trying. The wait on hold is absurd especially when I get no return on my time.

I HATE Qantas, Just like the koala bear.

FWIW: one lesson I have learned over the past month, dealing with multiple original and/or replacement air carriers, is that United Airlines will be getting the bulk of our future intercontinental business (despite the often higher cost of its biz class tix). And, when they don't fly to a particular location, I'll look first to only a handful of their Star Alliance partners (e.g., Lufthansa, Air Canada..).

My simple reasoning why is NOT based solely on their refund/ETC policies. Rather, due to our experience with attempting to reach and communicate with foreign carriers amid the demands of the Covid-19 (or future similar) situation(s), our clear preference is now based on the facility of United's website and app as well as the usually helpful telephone assistance provided to United's frequent flyers.

Now retired, I don't get quite the service I did when I was a "1k" due to work. But, what I do get is far far better and far far more efficacious than the vast majority of foreign carriers.