4 deaths on HALs Zaandam

Just now, possum52 said:

It is the same group of 20 people who were in Aspen, who now have been spreading the virus all over the place evidently. Noosa, Toorak and Portsea. The Timbertop cocktail party was at Toorak - Timbertop is a campus of the Geeplong Grammar School and is situated near Mansfield at the foot of the Victorian Alps.

Leigh

These clowns should be locked up.    On another note Timbertop is where our future King of Australia, Charlie Boy schooled for a while, as they do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Have they been going out even after testing positive??? There is no excuse for that. They should be fined.

We know that many people came from overseas with the virus (including my daughter-in-law's sister), but most would have followed the isolation rules. Unfortunately, they could have passed the virus on before they had the diagnosis.

Oh, absolutely they are. The papers have apparently reported it. It's the arrogance of some people that the rules don't apply to them and who cares if they give it to you? They don't, that's for sure. And I think that a $1,500 fine for them wouldn't make any difference - it's needs to have more serious repercussions. They should be taken into custody but for 'big names' that's just not going to ever happen. 

32 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. In other information we are told that if you are in an enclosed space with an infected person for 15 minutes or more you are at risk. What about sitting beside someone for 16 hours or so? I read that authorities are trying to trace people who were on the Virgin flight from Sydney to Adelaide that carried some of the passengers from the Ruby who were infected.

There is no way I am getting on a plane, even for a fairly short flight. Of course, very few planes are flying anyway. 🙂

In today's Australian newspaper, there are reports that people who returned from a ski holiday in Aspen USA passed the virus on to many people in the Noosa area when they visited for a birthday party. They stayed in a local hotel and visited other restaurants and bars. At least four staff of the restaurant where the party was held have now been diagnosed positive.

There is another report relating to other people who returned from Aspen and went to a cocktail party held by the Timbertop School in Victoria. The virus was passed on to several others.

Is that Sails? I love Sails but sadly has been caught up in this. I did get a bit of a hint that maybe the staff may have been implicated? Or maybe I misread that as per above. 

A fine is meaningless to these people. Christmas Island comes to mind and I'd bet once Australians found out about it we would all cheer as they left. 

Edited by Pushka

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Is that Sails? I love Sails but sadly has been caught up in this. I did get a bit of a hint that maybe the staff may have been implicated? 

Yes, it is Sails. It has been reported that four staff have the virus, but there is no suggestion they brought it from elsewhere. They were working at the birthday party attended by people who had returned from Aspen and then tested positive.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-01/coronavirus-confirmed-in-south-australia-and-victoria/11920754   This was in early February and involved 2 from Wuhan, doctors who arrived in Adelaide. It was reported they were low risk and self isolating with a relative. Later it was disclosed the couple contrary to reports, were not isolating with their daughter,  attending an open house auction.

They were positive for coronavirus and were taken in hospital for isolation.

Probably many more like that failing to isolate.

Now laws have been passed to police mandatory isolation but potentially too late.

1 minute ago, pully8 said:

did the 4 who died die from Covid-19?

Very difficult situation for all on board.

Re the fines wonder how many will pay the fines? Many fail to pay fines now for other issues.

HAL is not saying what the cause of death was for the four who died on the Zaandam. It is unlikely it was covid for all of them, and maybe not for any of them.

5 minutes ago, pully8 said:

did the 4 who died die from Covid-19?

Very difficult situation for all on board.

Re the fines wonder how many will pay the fines? Many fail to pay fines now for other issues.

Right on, you cannot get blood out of a stone. Many will not pay the infringement notices, go to court and plead stupidity or insanity and get off with a slap on the wrist.  Seen plenty of that.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes, it is Sails. It has been reported that four staff have the virus, but there is no suggestion they brought it from elsewhere. They were working at the birthday party attended by people who had returned from Aspen and then tested positive.

Thanks. An awful outcome. Let's hope that all the staff recover safely and quickly. 

35 minutes ago, pully8 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-01/coronavirus-confirmed-in-south-australia-and-victoria/11920754   This was in early February and involved 2 from Wuhan, doctors who arrived in Adelaide. It was reported they were low risk and self isolating with a relative. Later it was disclosed the couple contrary to reports, were not isolating with their daughter,  attending an open house auction.

They were positive for coronavirus and were taken in hospital for isolation.

Probably many more like that failing to isolate.

Now laws have been passed to police mandatory isolation but potentially too late.

Indeed. And the RE Agency had to close for a while as well. They recovered and hopefully returned home. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Indeed. And the RE Agency had to close for a while as well. They recovered and hopefully returned home. 

Hopefully with a note on their passport to never be allowed entry to Australia again.

• Like 2

Interesting how a thread about tragedy on the Zaandam which was exacerbated by a bunch of NIMBYs refusing aid to 3000 souls on a ship at sea, turned into a discourse on how a bunch of people returning by air from the United States (Aspen) spread the plague around Australia. Of course led by the same NIMBY that doesn't think Australia should lend aid to stranded ships. If that ship was able to have these people tended to perhaps they would still be alive...interesting.

BTW whoever thought that it was correct to dismiss my feeble post count in comparison to others with 10,000 plus posts, I wasn't born yesterday and have a lifetime of experience. That other person (you know who you are) has a 9 year head start.

Rant over...out

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

BTW whoever thought that it was correct to dismiss my feeble post count in comparison to others with 10,000 plus posts, I wasn't born yesterday and have a lifetime of experience. That other person (you know who you are) has a 9 year head start.

Rant over...out

Have to agree, going on stats like that is a bit silly. If counts were the criteria, Donald Trump, with his Twitter numbers would have claim to be the smartest person in the World, maybe even the Universe. And it's easy to see how that pans out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Some people are getting very confused by who is posting what right now.  

Yes, possibly. It is one of the biggest problems with non-verbal communication. I don't think Blackduck was referring to you, I thought it was to whoever made the point about the stats. I don't remember who it was (and don't really care) but I can understand that there is a lot of frustration at the moment.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Goodness, sad news.

Very sad. They had it on the news. 4 Australians on board. I guess they sail up to the West Coast of the USA. And if the USA won't allow them to dock, maybe Vancouver, Canada??

Australia is assisting these stranded ships. The one in Perth. They took the Australians to Rotternest? and the NZ and the international passengers to the airport for flights home to their own countries.

They are also refueling and restocking other ships. You can understand the nervousness of Premiers around the country especially in light of the Ruby Princess infections. Also there are huge problems with Australians citizens (and I think this is a problem in a lot of countries) that are not following social distancing rules and staying home as much as possible.

What is the latest on the Ruby Princess?

Edited by icat2000

5 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Very sad. They had it on the news. 4 Australians on board. I guess they sail up to the West Coast of the USA. And if the USA won't allow them to dock, maybe Vancouver Canada?

As a proud Canadian I hope that our country would do the right thing and render assistance, including evacuating passengers and staging the repatriation of those passengers home. In this case the shoe would be on our foot to be heros or zeros. If I'm going to beak off on here I better be prepared to support the proper actions by my country and yes Vancouver Canada is VERY close to me.

• Like 1

I just read a story from CBC news, seems there are 247 Canadians on Zaandam including a couple from my hometown. Now it's really close to home, I don't know these people but they, like all the others from all nations on all ships need assistance. What form that comes in I don't know; all I know is this shouldn't turn into another Diamond Princess, where people languished on board for weeks until it seemed like most everyone was infected. Or the Ruby Princess where people were tested but not held until the results were in. This is an opportunity to get it right.. Get this ship alongside evacuate and hold on shore, test and repatriate. Expensive? yes. Worth it? absolutely.

7 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Very sad. They had it on the news. 4 Australians on board. I guess they sail up to the West Coast of the USA. And if the USA won't allow them to dock, maybe Vancouver, Canada??

according to the Facebook group set up for all the passengers to communicate with each other from their cabins, there are over 130 Aussies on board and 30-40 Kiwis. An Aussie crew member is posting regularly and is in touch with dfat on passengers behalf. 

3 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

according to the Facebook group set up for all the passengers to communicate with each other from their cabins, there are over 130 Aussies on board and 30-40 Kiwis. An Aussie crew member is posting regularly and is in touch with dfat on passengers behalf. 

Thanks for that. 

35 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The latest I have heard (last night's news) was that the Zaandam (HAL) are in negotiations with the WA and Commonwealth Governments to sort out what can be done for repatriation and medical assistance.

Excellent, my hope is that everyone gets home safe. My biggest hope is that some port, any port will let this ship come alongside and evacuate. The world is literally watching and so far the cruise companies and government officials have all failed miserably. The only minor victory was Grand Princess brought alongside at an industrial port and evacuating passengers to be repatriated and isolated in there own countries. Hopefully they have been able to seperate the healthy (probably not) to the Rotterdam. Both ships should stay in the pacific. Both ships need all passengers and crew tested and both ships need to be evacuated and sanitized. Those testing clean go back on Rotterdam to be isolated Those testing positive will be on Zaandam which could be set up with medical staff and function as a hospital. Key to success? Everyone regardless of nationality and personal hardship pull together to solve a worldwide disaster. I don't care where this thing started, or where the ships departed from or why these people have chosen to cruise at this time. Now is the time to get it right. Think of it as the fictitious nation of COVID that has just attacked all of the earth simultaneously and unfortunately all the tanks, guns, warplanes and missiles are useless. Funny thing though the military can help, they are trained in Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Defence. So probably should be able to help maintain isolation facilities. The Chartered aircraft that have been used are actually air freighters with seats. If the best port is in Mexico the US or Canada, I don't care...get it done. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1