NIEUW STATENDAM IN PORT EVERGLADES SUNDAY 29 MAR 2020

Copper10-8

33 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Have to wonder how they are working the ATC there.  My DD is ATC in Gander, and they have been formed into groups that may only work together, one week on and two weeks off, to self-isolate and monitor their health.  If anyone gets ill in their "group" everyone has to quarantine.  They cover the whole of the North Atlantic traffic. She said the flights are down in number, but planes are still flying.

We are under one of the main flight paths to/from USA and have noticed a major drop in the number of aircraft overflying us.

When I was (a lot) younger, ATC was one of the careers that interested me!

Just now, VMax1700 said:

We are under one of the main flight paths to/from USA and have noticed a major drop in the number of aircraft overflying us.

When I was (a lot) younger, ATC was one of the careers that interested me!

My brother was a ATC in the Navy.  He was stationed at the two extremes, Kodiak Island in Alaska which was always fogged in and very light traffic, and from there he went to Oceana Beach airport in Virginia, which at that time was the busiest U S Naval airbase in the world.  He would tell us stories of squadrons of three taking off on the same runway at almost the same time and other fun things like that.  

2 hours ago, Himself said:

VMax 1700:  How are things in Ireland, the land of all my ancestors?

Streets are quiet here.  Most people are at home.  Schools have been closed since two weeks ago.  

Shops and supermarkets are ok.  Shelves still well stocked, but they are limiting the number of people who can enter at any one time, depending on size.  This creates queues to get in to the store, which in turn can create panic.

Our son has a supermarket in a town up the country.  He has to limit it to 80 people at any time, but he has 20 staff working, so only <60 can be shopping at any one time.  Our DiL spent yesterday outside the store explaining to people that there were NO shortages, but space was limited!

Apart from that, Father, we are no worse, nor any better than many others.

Stay safe!

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

What could they do if one got sick?  One week on and one off for the other two?  Hopefully the traffic will decline even more as more people get home.

Roy

One of the professions where "social distancing" is almost impossible, depending on the facility; there are others incl. first responders

Edited by Copper10-8

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

@Copper10-8John, do you know who is master on NSDM?  Changeover was due on March 15th, just a couple of days after the announcement of ceasing operations.  I wonder did they go ahead with the handover?

Not sure if that changeover went through as scheduled. I believe Belgian Captain Kevin Beirnaert is still in command

3 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Things look so normal on the webcam.  It lets you forget for just a bit the situation around the world.

Welcome back Kathi, I hope you are all recovered from that long trip home.  I am sorry I didn't get to see how many Linus blankets you could make on a world cruise. We have missed you on our sailaway threads.  Neil

13 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Things look so normal on the webcam.  It lets you forget for just a bit the situation around the world.

So pleased to see you posting.  How are you doing?

Roy

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

What could they do if one got sick?  One week on and one off for the other two?  Hopefully the traffic will decline even more as more people get home.

Roy

Roy, I'm not sure how many groups there are - it sounds like three, but maybe there are some backups.  At least now  the FDA has approved the 15-minute tests, and I hope we have some here, so that testing could rule out any cross-contamination!  And I don't think there is much Covid-19 in Newfoundland.  

And I haven't quite figured it all out - they are not working 24/7 for the week they are on, I think there is a lot of sanitizing going on, before the next shift.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

Just now, rafinmd said:

So pleased to see you posting.  How are you doing?

Roy

Settling back to life at home.  It is very strange not to have any kind of a schedule.  Luckily the restaurant where I always go for dinner is doing take away!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scrapnana said:

Settling back to life at home.  It is very strange not to have any kind of a schedule.  Luckily the restaurant where I always go for dinner is doing take away!

It is all very surreal.  A nightmare we are all dreaming together!

10 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Thanks, everyone.  This is the first time I have ever had jet lag (of course, it is the first time I have flown 21 hours out of 42) and am still having trouble sleeping for more than an hour or two at a time.

Kathi, it will take some time to get over the jet lag. Glad you are home safe and sound.  

41 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Port schedule  now shows both Princess ships confirmed for 1600 and NSDM for 1630.

Roy

Scheduling seems to have changed.  Regal P and NSDM now confirmed for 4pm and Sky P for 4.15pm