Cancellation Refund Question

Gardyloo2

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but it IS a cruise question. 😃

My cruise, due to sail April 5, was canceled about 10 days ago.  After all the price difference wrangling on rescheduling, I decided to take the full refund, about $7k.  The Cruise line told my TA it’ll be 60-90 days to see the refund on my credit card.  I’m wondering if I should file a dispute with the credit card company to place the charges in a hold status while the refund is processed.

Thoughts please?

5 hours ago, Gardyloo2 said:

My cruise, due to sail April 5, was canceled about 10 days ago.  After all the price difference wrangling on rescheduling, I decided to take the full refund, about $7k.  The Cruise line told my TA it’ll be 60-90 days to see the refund on my credit card.  I’m wondering if I should file a dispute with the credit card company to place the charges in a hold status while the refund is processed.

Thoughts please?

Why would you file a dispute with your CC if the cruise line has confirmed a refund?  That could potentially confuse the issue.  Besides if you were scheduled to leave April 5 then the final payment date - and processing of payment to the cruise line - is long past.  Any dispute would only be if you don't receive the refund in the time frame suggested.

The 60-90 day time frame (which will vary by cruise line with some being a little faster) is not unusual - especially in these current circumstances.   While payments made are charged as processed, refunds are typically processed in a cycle, which can take several weeks to post.  Just be patient.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, Gardyloo2 said:

Thoughts please?

A couple of years ago I filed a dispute in a similar  situation. We had paid for a vacation at a location that was hit by Hurricane Maria, causing the vacation to be cancelled. The vacation provider was issuing a refund, but said it might take up to a couple of months to process. After waiting two weeks or so with no refund issued I filed a dispute with the credit card company, and gave an honest explanation of the situation. They immediately granted the temporary credit to my account and within a couple of weeks of my filing the dispute I was notified that the credit had been made permanent and the case was closed.

Based on my experience I would do the same again in a similar situation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

A couple of years ago I filed a dispute in a similar  situation. We had paid for a vacation at a location that was hit by Hurricane Maria, causing the vacation to be cancelled. The vacation provider was issuing a refund, but said it might take up to a couple of months to process. After waiting two weeks or so with no refund issued I filed a dispute with the credit card company, and gave an honest explanation of the situation. They immediately granted the temporary credit to my account and within a couple of weeks of my filing the dispute I was notified that the credit had been made permanent and the case was closed.

Based on my experience I would do the same again in a similar situation.

Not challenging your situation, but the only comment I will make is that while some cruise lines will issue refunds in less time, such as 3-6 weeks, other's standard times are longer, such as the 60-90 days suggested by the OP. (I am aware of at least one that is).

Not sure I see the reason to file a dispute sooner than the time frame indicated by the cruise lines as that may be their standard policy.  And even if it isn't, given the current circumstances with the thousands of credits and refunds being issued within the industry, that may not be an unreasonable time to wait.

IMO,  a dispute would be filed when there is a refusal to pay, or a contested amount, etc., which does not seem to be the case with the OP.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

60 - 90 days?  What I don't understand is how in the 20th year of the 21st century it could take that long.  There are systems and computers and software and people who live and breath that stuff.  Confirm.  Cancel.  Issue refund.   Maybe they still use a guy named Cratchit sitting in a back room inking debts/credits to a ledger book.  I really don't get it.   

I wouldn’t file a dispute. In the past when I have tried to file, the first thing they ask is if you have reached out to the merchant to resolve the issue. You have and the issue has been resolved with an agreement of a refund. Not sure why you would file a dispute on top of that. 

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

60 - 90 days?  What I don't understand is how in the 20th year of the 21st century it could take that long.  There are systems and computers and software and people who live and breath that stuff.  Confirm.  Cancel.  Issue refund.   Maybe they still use a guy named Cratchit sitting in a back room inking debts/credits to a ledger book.  I really don't get it.   

No argument here. I agree that with charges such as deposits, final payments, on-board account pre-purchases, etc., that are transacted as they are made it is odd that refunds take time. However that is a rather common industry practice.  From what I understand, refunds are processed in a periodic cycle, which may be monthly or otherwise. 

While 60-90 days is long, that is what at least one cruise line states as their current cycle.  Others are in the 30 days range.  But my guess is that this may be extended currently with the large number of reschedulings and cancellations taking place with the suspension of cruises that are resulting in refunds and credits.

As indicated, I agree that it doesn't seem right, but it is what it is.  And in the OP's case I'm not sure how filing a dispute will aid that.

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

LOL.  They may still have Cratchit doing the sslllllllooooooowwwwwww passenger refunds, but fare charges are instantly tallied and appear within 12 to 48 hours on a consumer's CC

Any company should be able to process electronic charges and refunds in the same amount of time.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, evandbob said:

LOL.  They may still have Cratchit doing the sslllllllooooooowwwwwww passenger refunds, but fare charges are instantly tallied and appear within 12 to 48 hours on a consumer's CC

Any company should be able to process electronic charges and refunds in the same amount of time.

AKA cash flow management.  Which is also why final payment is typically 90 days prior to sailing (and with some 120 days), along with the rampant surge in recent years of non-refundable deposits now as the default.  They aint dummies....