Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

21 hours ago, rallydave said:

Not sure why you haven't filed a dispute/chargeback with your credit card company before now but, now is the time to file that immediately.  You will immediately get a credit while you wait for azamara to get around to it.  I realize that TA's and cruise lines tell everyone not to file on their credit card as it will delay things.  Cruise lines these days are expert in delays and how is it a delay when you almost immediately get the credit on your card account??

azamara certainly doesn't need any more time to do the right thing let alone 30 or more more days.  You stated that they know the calculation ws incorrect and took 4 weeks and you calling to find that out.  That means they have the value and can easily in a day or two provide the credit to your card company.  They don't deserve any more time.

I had to file a credit card dispute related to airfare for another cancelled cruise (long story!). I was given temporary credit for the amount charged and was told they'd investigate it over the following 2 months. I would then be informed if they'd allow the claim or deny it. So no guarantee you'd prevail on that route of action. I have a good relationship with Azamara (we're Discoverer Plus) and would rather wait a bit than possibly "upset the apple cart"! We have 2 more cruises booked with them, using our FCC from another cancelled cruise.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gnld said:

I had to file a credit card dispute related to airfare for another cancelled cruise (long story!). I was given temporary credit for the amount charged and was told they'd investigate it over the following 2 months. I would then be informed if they'd allow the claim or deny it. So no guarantee you'd prevail on that route of action. I have a good relationship with Azamara (we're Discoverer Plus) and would rather wait a bit than possibly "upset the apple cart"! We have 2 more cruises booked with them, using our FCC from another cancelled cruise.

Well you can wait and wait and wait bit Phil is absolutely correct if you don’t stand up for yourself who will. Azamara like mist businesses is only looking it for themselves and will continue until they no longer exist. 

only one cruise on Azamara and thought we had found our cruise home. So good we tried booking another cruise on board. Things started unraveling when it took 5 tries to get the correct invoice. Went from bad to worst when our cruise was cancelled for corporate greed. No not a charter. Cancelled so they could get on the Cuba gravy train. 

keep watching this board in hopes corporate comes to their senses but appears that won’t happen due to easy to fix issues like yours. Sincerely don’t believe you will hurt yourself with a dispute and you are just letting them get away with one more who cares they will come back!  

good luck and hope you get your money and they don’t take advantage of you again however that seems to be their modus operandi. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:11 AM, Wheelhouse said:

My problem with Azamara is that I have not received a promised FCC.  Through a large online TA my early March agreement was to receive a 50% refund and a 50% FCC.  The refund was received about 6 weeks ago but the FCC is still outstanding.  Azamara does not respond to customer service messaging and the TA has not responded after a good period to my last inquiry.  I am thinking of doing a credit card charge back for the remaining FCC as I most likely will not be traveling again in the future with any RCCL line.  If they had provided the FCC timely, as promised and documented, we probably would have rebooked already for next summer.  Is the a good strategy?  I figure it might at least get Azamara's attention.

UPDATE :  Shortly after this posting I proceeded with a credit card dispute for the unfulfilled amount of FCC.  Immediately I received a temporary credit on my card.  Last week I received notice that the dispute was resolved in my favor and the refund became permanent.  So Azamara, through their back office incompetence, converted my agreed upon FCC into a cash refund. 

My gut feeling is that the credit card company's inquiry was most likely totally ignored by RCCL resulting in a default judgement to my benefit.

Though I have been made complete, its been a royal pain in the butt and I will have a very hard time booking again with Azamara.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Azamara aren’t prepared to really help me anymore. They won’t even give me an email contact more senior than an agent so forget all the 000s they’ve had in the past. Larry or Richard Twynam would have at least listened and probably helpec. Azamara has spoken to our travel agent who has confirmed they will be processing our refund. As far as Azamara are concerned that is satisfactory and all will be well. For a cruise cancelled four months ago I don’t agree. 

It’s the patronising tone of their emails that really upsets us. We have one cruise booked pre covid on Azamara, whilst we would say never say never and would love to sail again with guest friends and support crew who deserve it, looks like the end of the long road. 
If it’s the online phone based UK agency that has delayed paying us Azamara shouldn’t be leaving us adrift if it’s Azamara that held off paying the agency that stinks. 
Understandably we now want to dump our future cruise certificates (forget being loyal) I’m told I can only do this through the agency and it will take another 12-16 weeks. I made a huge mistake being loyal. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, uktog said:

Azamara aren’t prepared to really help me anymore. They won’t even give me an email contact more senior than an agent so forget all the 000s they’ve had in the past. Larry or Richard Twynam would have at least listened and probably helpec. Azamara has spoken to our travel agent who has confirmed they will be processing our refund. As far as Azamara are concerned that is satisfactory and all will be well. For a cruise cancelled four months ago I don’t agree. 

It’s the patronising tone of their emails that really upsets us. We have one cruise booked pre covid on Azamara, whilst we would say never say never and would love to sail again with guest friends and support crew who deserve it, looks like the end of the long road. 
If it’s the online phone based UK agency that has delayed paying us Azamara shouldn’t be leaving us adrift if it’s Azamara that held off paying the agency that stinks. 
Understandably we now want to dump our future cruise certificates (forget being loyal) I’m told I can only do this through the agency and it will take another 12-16 weeks. I made a huge mistake being loyal. 

So sorry to read this, I know how loyal you have been to Azamara and this must feel like a kick in the teeth. Our cruise was the first to be cancelled by Azamara, we were fed up waiting for our refund and finally did a chargeback on our Amex card, after waiting 4 months. Richard Twynam leaving and then Larry has really left all Azamara’s loyal cruisers with no voice or support. I had a lot of email conversations with Richard over the drinks package changes and he went out of his way to help and explain things. Sadly I do believe the Azamara we all knew and loved has gone, not just because of Covid, I may add. Loyalty is only as good as the reciprocal loyalty you receive. We feel exactly the same, we would love to sail Azamara again, the crew are exceptional, we too have made good friends with people we’ve met over the years, that is the hardest part, and why we will never say never, but it is looking extremely unlikely at this present time! 
Stay well.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I are in our 70s, and have really taken to cruising over the past decade.  Until now, our favourite cruise line has been Azamara. On board, we cannot fault Azamara. We booked a Baltic cruise with them in June/July 2020 and a Mediterranean Islands cruise with them in September 2021.

However, our experience in recent months in dealing with their administration has been absolutely appalling.

We were notified in April 2020 that our June 2020 Baltic Cruise was cancelled.  We were then offered a Future Cruise Credit (FCC)  to the value of 125% of the 'total cruise fare paid' in lieu of a full refund.  Our total cruise fare paid was Aus $18,606.94. 125% of that is Aus $23,258.68. As keen cruisers, we opted for the 125% FCC.  When we received the FCC, it was for a total of Aus $16,218.00.  When I queried it, I was informed that the remaining amount of Aus $5,632.94 was 'fees and taxes' which was not included in the amount to which the FCC applied, but would be the subject of a refund.  Apart from the fact that this was nowhere stated in Azamara's FCC proposal, the amount of Aus $5,632.94 for fees and taxes seems absolutely outrageous, far in excess of fees and taxes on other cruises we have booked.  I have raised this in numerous emails since early June 2020 to the travel agency (to most of which I received no reply) and to Azamara (to which I received no reply).

On 10 July 2020, I booked a further Baltic Cruise for us in July 2021, using the FCCs we had received for Aus $16,218.00.  This process took a number of hours, partly due to the fact that the woman at the call centre completely miscalculated the amount of the fares, and the amount which would remain on the FCCs.  When she finally reached the correct figure, I requested written confirmation of the figures including the amount remaining on the FCCs. to avoid any argument at some later stage.   7 weeks later, no such written notification has been provided by Azamara. Incidentally, the fees, taxes and port charges for this cruise was a total of Aus $895.22, some Aus $4,700 less than the amount alleged for the June 2020 cruise.

I have read other criticisms on Cruise Critic of Azamara's back office.  We love the Azamara ships, crews and itineraries.   How does one  get the problems fixed to which I have referred above?

There is no one person taking responsibility at a senior level I’m afraid or if there is the agents won’t tell you who. I’ve asked and asked and all I get is a different person replying. Escalating seems impossible. 
Unfortunately before we had LCV who could cut through the corporate treacle for us, we no longer have that help despite it being advertising as still being available. 
We have exactly the same issue missing refunds and a refusal to give us figures and caught between the Travel agent and the head office. 
All I can suggest is keep emailing them again and again. Like us, calling isn’t really an option for non US guests a Marley they’ve forgotten these days. It’s not ideal and is not a good advert for the future 

Oh how I sympathise Ann. While I fortunately received the balance of my cruise cost a couple of months ago, it is proving impossible to receive the deposit. As the   cruise was booked onboard, apparently the funds are returned (or not) by Azamara direct rather than via the TA. 

Have received copious responses to my emails informing me that the cash is on the way but as the refund was requested in March am on the point of writing it off. 

While the loss of £125 is in no way catastrophic, on a point of principle I won't book a future cruise with a company that has so little care for its guests.

i hope your situation is resolved soon.

• Thanks 1

Hazel. 
This now confuses me. 2 of our 3 were booked onboard with deposits paid there. The third was a book again bought onboard with a deposit and then used with the agency to book the third leg later on. 
Because no one will help at Azamara I have no idea what I’m getting back from whom. Now I’m wondering about our deposits. 
It’s a disgrace that junior staff at Azamara keep sending emails that just aggravate the situation and won’t even tell us what we are due back. They refuse to give us the email of someone more senior. Richard Twynam would never have treated us with this contempt. 
I dare not tell my husband the latest gems he’d dig his heels in and walk away for ever and knowing him no one would persuade him back. 
It’s no way to treat your people who stood by you so much 36 times in our case. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, john1970 said:

What happened to the Azamara team that took over when Bonnie left?

I got the distinct impression from the start that it was all about PR. I'm not sure that Bonnie had a lot of teeth in this matter either.  Not her fault. Just the way the Chief Blogging Officer role was. There was one good reply from the Azamara Team, but that was it. Sounded like someone with a bit of clout. 

Phil 

35 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I got the distinct impression from the start that it was all about PR. I'm not sure that Bonnie had a lot of teeth in this matter either.  Not her fault. Just the way the Chief Blogging Officer role was. There was one good reply from the Azamara Team, but that was it. Sounded like someone with a bit of clout. 

Phil 

You are right Phil, the Blogging Officer role was changed to focus on PR, good news stories and positive spin. They said as much when Bonnie was appointed.  Her predecessor Bill had a more connected role to the Miami team and clout which I had personal positive experience of when things were once unraveling for me.  I think others had the same help from him. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I am really sorry about the reaction from Azamara during this crisis. I realize that Azamara is not the only cruise line behaving like this. I have read the posts in this thread and I find that silence and no body to talk to or write to at a senior level is annoying. Who has replaced Larry Pimentel and Richard Twynam?
Is Royal Caribbean planning to continue operations with Azamara or will it let it disappear on behalf of Silversea? Let’s hope Azamara will be there after this crisis.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Baynanno1 said:

They seem to have been M.I.A. for some time!

Indeed, Of course monitoring this Forum would be a rather thankless task, albeit a very useful one.

I do hope that Bonnie is safe and healthy, and that eventually we have her back as part of this community when Azamara returns to service.

Edited by nordski
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nordski said:

Indeed, Of course monitoring this Forum would be a rather thankless task, albeit a very useful one.

I do hope that Bonnie is safe and healthy, and that eventually we have her back as part of this community when Azamara returns to service.

I don’t think it would be thankless. You can easily make positives out of negatives as other have done 

40 minutes ago, uktog said:

I don’t think it would be thankless. You can easily make positives out of negatives as other have done 

I tried to qualify the “thankless” with “rather”. In the past 6 months or so, sometimes the posts have become very contentious and personal.

I can remember there was at least one issue on which the former CBO, Bill Leiber, went into “radio silence” to let the fires burn themselves out a bit (he admitted as such). Unfortunately, this fire is quite the inferno in heat and time span.

But I take your point and will heed your advice to remain positive about what will possibly ensue. 

• Like 2

Nordski I was meaning corporate coms can make positives not you!  
Given they don’t read what you actually say to them in emails, I think all their communication skills are MIA. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I am really sorry about the reaction from Azamara during this crisis. I realize that Azamara is not the only cruise line behaving like this. I have read the posts in this thread and I find that silence and no body to talk to or write to at a senior level is annoying. Who has replaced Larry Pimentel and Richard Twynam?
Is Royal Caribbean planning to continue operations with Azamara or will it let it disappear on behalf of Silversea? Let’s hope Azamara will be there after this crisis.

Ivi

Well, they are certainly promoting and selling cruises like they intend to be there after the crisis, so let’s hope so!!

Betsey

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nordski said:

I agree that the last few months of Bonnie's presence here must have felt very 'thankless' to her.  I wonder if Azamara will ever renew their presence on this forum.

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Nordski I was meaning corporate coms can make positives not you!  

Oh, I did not take your comment personally!

I knew you were referring to a particular setting, but I also knew that your argument held in a more general way.

Given the present circumstances, it was good to be reminded that I need to keep responding in a positive way. I appreciated that.