The Good Old Days

taxmantoo

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

No Yum Yum Man period.  The ginger, mints, etc. are usually still available outside the MDR doors (if the bowls are not empty), but no Yum Yum Man to offer them and ask you to "Have a good night."

Sorry but you quoted me a bit out of context.  Yes, we still had a Yum Yum man as I said on the Rotterdam and Prinsendam.  I realize he was gone on many ships but some still upheld the tradition.

I will not be surprised (and saddened) to not see one on my next cruise whenever that is.

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

I will not be surprised (and saddened) to not see one on my next cruise whenever that is.

Did not mean to make an offensive statement to you, but on neither of my most cruises--December and January--on Volendam and Eurodam--was a YUM YUM Man present after dinner.  And--more nights than not, the mint bowls were empty.  

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Did not mean to make an offensive statement to you, but on neither of my most cruises--December and January--on Volendam and Eurodam--was a YUM YUM Man present after dinner.  And--more nights than not, the mint bowls were empty.  

Did you look under the Yum-Yum tree?

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What are talking about?  

I suspect the poster is referring to an old movie. Jack Lemmon as a letch who manages apartments and rents to pretty young women. That's all I remember. It's a long time since I've seen it.

38 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Controversy over the Mariner Embarkation Luncheon.

Roy

I heard they cancelled it because too many folks were abusing the "bring your own wine rules". 

They also thought of moving it to the Lido on the Eurodam but were afraid of the lawsuits when people tripped over the "Rev Step". 😉

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

I heard they cancelled it because too many folks were abusing the "bring your own wine rules". 

They also thought of moving it to the Lido on the Eurodam but were afraid of the lawsuits when people tripped over the "Rev Step". 😉

I find that hard to believe since they still do the luncheon but it is no longer just for mariners.  I remember people being upset about the loss of an "exclusive" perk, although it isn't advertised so I imagine it's mostly mariners who know about it.

Roy

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I find that hard to believe since they still do the luncheon but it is no longer just for mariners.  I remember people being upset about the loss of an "exclusive" perk, although it isn't advertised so I imagine it's mostly mariners who know about it.

Roy

I would never have known about it if I hadn't read about it here. That was back when it was a Mariner "perk." HAL seems to hide the fact that it exists. Every cruise, I wonder if it will have gone away. 

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Controversy over the Mariner Embarkation Luncheon.

Roy

It was a rare cruise when we even got on the ship and settled enough for the Embarkation Lunch. Even when we did get on, a quick bite in the Lido was more enjoyable, as we generally would have a nice breakfast at what ever pre-cruise accommodations we stayed at. 

Edited by drowelf

The Nieuw Amsterdam propulsion issues back in December-January seem so inconsequential compared to current events.

Now I'm just happy we got to cruise at all in 2020, even though it wasn't everything we wanted it to be.

• Like 1