Reminiscing

AndyMichelle

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We've enjoyed every cruise we've been on for varying reasons but our first was really special. Arcadia's 12 nights cruise to Madeira and the Canaries. Everything thing was so new and exciting for us. The movement of the ship on the water and the feeling of vastness when looking out to sea from the top deck. The excitement of a different port to explore every day. We were like two kids at Christmas. The lovely menus, we were spoilt for choice, and the Cherries Jubilee that they set alight in front of you, sadly no longer done. Health and safety apparently! The evening entertainment and Formal nights and the nightcap on the balcony before bed. We were hooked. Lovely cheerful thread Andy.

Avril 

Arcadia Madeira and the Canaries, was our first cruise. It was excellent. But most of all we are still friends to this day, with the couples we met on the ship.

Hello Dianne and John, Pauline and Malc Marlene and Barry

Just hope we get on our November Cruise.

Bob

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Arcadia Madeira and the Canaries, was our first cruise. It was excellent. But most of all we are still friends to this day, with the couples we met on the ship.

Bob

If nothing else, this thread has made us think about all the fantastic people we have met whilst cruising. 

I hope they are all safe and well and let's hope we get to see them again on future cruises. 

Andy 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Bob

We seem to have lot in common bob. Same first cruise and we're on the same one in November.  Who'd a thunk it😊.

Stay well. 

Avril 

• Like 1

What a lovely topic!!!

My most memorable cruise would have to be the first one we ever did. We were on Azura, leading up to Christmas, a sea day, also my 30th birthday. My partner took me to the glass house for a boozy lunch to celebrate the big 30, then just before dessert, he popped the question and asked me to marry him.

None of the others have lived up to that lol but the honeymoon on the same cruise certainly came close!!!

• Like 5

I've wasted a fair few hours today binge reading cruise reviews so am in cruise mode. We too did a Christmas market cruise on Aurora and loved all the ports at that time of year, equally special was Iceland last summer on one of Oriana's final cruises, all ports were stunning in their natural beauty. I washed my hair this morning using White Company products brought back from last cruise. They have a really distinctive smell (in a good way) and always remind me of our lovely holidays.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Was that 2007 on Artemis? If it was we were on that one and wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said. Here she is docked in Copenhagen.

Xmas Markets (103).jpg

Nice picture but no, not that voyage. We had really heavy snow, so much so that P&O put on a free shuttle bus up to the start of the main shopping street as walking was heavy going in the snow.

I loved Artemis and the original Adonia, the closest to them now is Aurora and we have enjoyed Christmas on her as well.

• Like 2

The beautiful Victoria at anchor off of Propriano, Corsica in August 1997.  A lot of angry-looking cloud was around but the sun shone on this lovely little ship, making her stand out as brilliant white.  It is a photo of a photo, so not the greatest clarity.

20200402_164721.jpg

• Like 3

My favourite P & O cruise was on Arcadia, many years ago. We flew to Acapulco and stayed there for a couple of nights. We went to see the cliff divers which was great, if a bit scary. On the first evening there was no fixed dining as people were arriving at all hours. On the second night, we went to our allocated table for 6 and nobody joined us. People on the next table joked with us about being Billy no mates. The next evening the other 4 arrived, they had eaten in Acapulco the previous night. They were 4 friends and we did wonder if we would be excluded from their conversation. No such thing, they were brilliant, extremely funny. We met up every day about 5 for a drink and to do a quiz. We kept in contact for a while. We loved the passage through the Panama Canal. A wonderful lady gave a running commentary for most of the day which was fascinating. The rest of the cruise was in the Caribbean and we fell in love with it. Been 6 times since. We have enjoyed all our P & O cruises but our 2 favourites overall were with Princess, first to Hawaii and secondly to Canada and New England. Mainly because of itinerary but also because of the mix of nationalities, we met some wonderful, friendly and very funny people. At lunch one day an American gentleman asked my husband if he could say something to me, of course Ian said yes. He looked at me and said, Ma’am  you look just like Doris Day did 10 years ago. I thanked him but Doris Day was then 81 and I was 55!  People used to say my mum looked like Doris Day so I wasn’t offended. We have loads of wonderful memories of all our cruises, never had a bad one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reece.twigg-white said:

What a lovely topic!!!

My most memorable cruise would have to be the first one we ever did. We were on Azura, leading up to Christmas, a sea day, also my 30th birthday. My partner took me to the glass house for a boozy lunch to celebrate the big 30, then just before dessert, he popped the question and asked me to marry him.

None of the others have lived up to that lol but the honeymoon on the same cruise certainly came close!!!

Excellent Reece, no wonder it was memorable... What a romantic.. 

A boozy lunch sounds fantastic. 

I had a feeling this would turn into a thread about first cruises as they tend to be most peoples favourite, but you had an extra reason to love it. ❤️

Thank you for sharing, 

Andy 

1 hour ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

I've wasted a fair few hours today binge reading cruise reviews so am in cruise mode. We too did a Christmas market cruise on Aurora and loved all the ports at that time of year, equally special was Iceland last summer on one of Oriana's final cruises, all ports were stunning in their natural beauty. I washed my hair this morning using White Company products brought back from last cruise. They have a really distinctive smell (in a good way) and always remind me of our lovely holidays.

It's funny how the little things remind us of cruising. 

We always bring the White Company products home for our girls, they love it. 

Andy 

24 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

My favourite P & O cruise was on Arcadia, many years ago. We flew to Acapulco and stayed there for a couple of nights. We went to see the cliff divers which was great, if a bit scary. On the first evening there was no fixed dining as people were arriving at all hours. On the second night, we went to our allocated table for 6 and nobody joined us. People on the next table joked with us about being Billy no mates. The next evening the other 4 arrived, they had eaten in Acapulco the previous night. They were 4 friends and we did wonder if we would be excluded from their conversation. No such thing, they were brilliant, extremely funny. We met up every day about 5 for a drink and to do a quiz. We kept in contact for a while. We loved the passage through the Panama Canal. A wonderful lady gave a running commentary for most of the day which was fascinating. The rest of the cruise was in the Caribbean and we fell in love with it. Been 6 times since. We have enjoyed all our P & O cruises but our 2 favourites overall were with Princess, first to Hawaii and secondly to Canada and New England. Mainly because of itinerary but also because of the mix of nationalities, we met some wonderful, friendly and very funny people. At lunch one day an American gentleman asked my husband if he could say something to me, of course Ian said yes. He looked at me and said, Ma’am  you look just like Doris Day did 10 years ago. I thanked him but Doris Day was then 81 and I was 55!  People used to say my mum looked like Doris Day so I wasn’t offended. We have loads of wonderful memories of all our cruises, never had a bad one.

Thank you for sharing your amazing experiences Doris😂

Andy 

59 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you for sharing your amazing experiences Doris😂

Andy 

Another first cruise, 15 years ago. It was our silver wedding gift to ourselves on Artemis. The highlight was Svalbard (Spitsbergen) and sailing through a fjord at midnight in waters that were just freezing. The photographers onboard launched a life raft so they could get closeup photos of the small icebergs and had to row back part of the way in front of hundreds of people on the front of the ship because the engine packed in. Never been back to Svalbard, few cruises go there now, but would love to return. 
Our 40th wedding anniversary cruise was to be the Iona maiden but the least said about that the better.😒

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Another first cruise, 15 years ago. It was our silver wedding gift to ourselves on Artemis. The highlight was Svalbard (Spitsbergen) and sailing through a fjord at midnight in waters that were just freezing. The photographers onboard launched a life raft so they could get closeup photos of the small icebergs and had to row back part of the way in front of hundreds of people on the front of the ship because the engine packed in. Never been back to Svalbard, few cruises go there now, but would love to return. 
Our 40th wedding anniversary cruise was to be the Iona maiden but the least said about that the better.😒

What a shame about Iona Pete, would have been a lovely celebration. 

Andy 

8 hours ago, kalos said:

Yes I'm with you on this one Andy:classic_smile:

I posted this a few days ago over in the pub lets smile page but thought it would suit your thread Andy .:classic_smile:

Anyone got any funny memories of a past cruise?
If you have please post them,lets share those happy times .

The one  I remember is a sea day on the Azura .

Mrs Kalos  and I decided to pay a visit to the Glass House and we decided to have a meal there.
"I will pay for this with my cruise card" she said.

Then a waiter came up and asked if we would like to order any food?
He seemed a nice Indian guy with a soft spoken but strong Indian accent.
I had decided what I was having to eat and I ordered a steak.
The waiter asked any sauce to which I replied peppercorn please.

Mrs Kalos said she would have the same to the waiter, which he jotted onto his notepad.
With a smile on his face he read the order back ....
"Right you Sir are having the steak and peppercorn " and turning to my wife...
" You Marrrrm are having same ?  You have Cardamom ? "
No I want the same as my husband ,peppercorn please, she replied.
With a very puzzled look on the waiters face he turned to Mrs Kalos...
" Marrrrm ..You are ordering  both same with peppercorn ? True ?"
"YES " She  smiled, only to be wiped of her face when the waiter said 
"and you have Cardamom,please."
"I do not want any Cardamom at all, just the peppercorn ,same as my husband please"
was her reply, looking totally baffled.

It was now at this point the waiter pointed down at Mrs Kalos hand which she was clutching her cruise card  ....

Again he asked her " you have Cardamom,please."
At which time the penny dropped.  Talk about lost in translation ! :classic_blush: :classic_unsure:

You have Cardamom,please is  " You have the card marrm please (in your hand ) to pay with ?
The Steak and peppercorn was very nice ,
That's our story. Have a nice day and keep safe.:classic_smile:

Sometimes it's the silly things that you remember first. We had done a fair few cruises before we went on our first RCI from Southampton. After boarding on Saturday and looking around the Independence, I though why is that,? oh well . It was about Tuesday that I found out why the lift was called Saturday.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sometimes it's the silly things that you remember first. We had done a fair few cruises before we went on our first RCI from Southampton. After boarding on Saturday and looking around the Independence, I though why is that,? oh well . It was about Tuesday that I found out why the lift was called Saturday.

And after 10 days on a cruise it actually becomes quite useful 😀. Loved the Independence. 

I was about to turn this site off, too depressing. Then I found this. Well done Andy. 

Apart from my first cruise, which I hated I've loved them all.

My favourite at the moment though is our cruise to Greenland. I am not eloquent enough to describe the sights but when I tell you that everyone on the ship who could be stood outside watching the scenery one day. Those who couldn't be out so long watched from inside. This is something I have never experienced before. Even the shop had to set up their '20% off duty free' on deck as no one was inside the ship!

I have lots of other happy memories now popping up. I'm going to go and look at our photos.

Also I booked two new cruises today so I'm going to have a look at the ports. I wasn't going to tell you lot this as I know most are taking refunds. I have to be positive though keeps me going.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We seem to have lot in common bob. Same first cruise and we're on the same one in November.  Who'd a thunk it😊.

Stay well. 

Avril 

Thank you Andy for setting this up, bringing back so many memories on our cruises.

Hi Avril

Elaine and I would love to meet up with you, if the Cruise goes ahead.

• Like 1

Another brilliant moment on our cruise from Canada down to Fort Lauderdale was our arrival into New York. I set the alarm for 6.30. We opened  the curtains, sat up in bed and watched as the Statue of Liberty came into view. It was amazing. Aah, happy memories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happy v said:

I was about to turn this site off, too depressing. Then I found this. Well done Andy. 

My favourite at the moment though is our cruise to Greenland. I am not eloquent enough to describe the sights but when I tell you that everyone on the ship who could be stood outside watching the scenery one day. Those who couldn't be out so long watched from inside. This is something I have never experienced before. Even the shop had to set up their '20% off duty free' on deck as no one was inside the ship!

I have lots of other happy memories now popping up. I'm going to go and look at our photos.

Also I booked two new cruises today so I'm going to have a look at the ports. I wasn't going to tell you lot this as I know most are taking refunds. I have to be positive though keeps me going.

I would love you to post some of your photos of your cruise to GreenlandThat is one place I would love to visit in the near future 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, happy v said:

Good for you V, do what feels right for you.. 

I was going to say you are the first to not enjoy your first cruise, but your not... 

We had our very first cruise back in the 90s around the Hawaiin islands and hated it, it took nearly 20 years for us to try again... 

That was because of the fellow passengers and the 'class' separation that was in place. 

Us and others were publicly made to feel inferior, not a nice experience. 

So different from today's 'inclusive'  nature. 

Andy 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ann141 said:

I would love you to post some of your photos of your cruise to GreenlandThat is one place I would love to visit in the near future 🙂

Oh I wish I could Ann. Unfortunately I have no tech knowledge at all and wouldn't know how to begin. They are not even on my computer but my husbands. Normally my son would do it, but these are not normal times. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, happy v said:

Oh I wish I could Ann. Unfortunately I have no tech knowledge at all and wouldn't know how to begin. They are not even on my computer but my husbands. Normally my son would do it, but these are not normal times. 

I have little tech knowledge and wouldn t know where to start to add photos either.Like you I am trying to focus on the positive and will follow your example of looking through old photo albums and resaerching the ports of future cruises booked.Take Care

Ann

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 5:05 PM, Britboys said:

The beautiful Victoria at anchor off of Propriano, Corsica in August 1997.  A lot of angry-looking cloud was around but the sun shone on this lovely little ship, making her stand out as brilliant white.  It is a photo of a photo, so not the greatest clarity.

20200402_164721.jpg

What a lovely ship, a proper liner. 

Imagine her berthed alongside Iona... 

Nowadays, I think we have bigger yachts in the harbour... 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1